Thrift Store Thread 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a copy of Final Fantasy Tactics in decent shape yesterday. It was complete, greatest hits and had a bunch of surface scratches on it.

But for $3 I couldn't pass it up.

Same Salvation Army store also had a Blu-Ray(Sky Captain & The World Of Tomorrow) and a DVD copy of BOLT in the front case for $7.99 each.

I also picked up a pair of Land's End slip ons for $6. They're pretty comfortable.

The biggest issue for Goodwill has always been their inconsistant pricing and their policy of sending anything of value to corporate for the auction website. I can't tell you how many times I've passed on what could have been a good deal if the item had been priced reasonably. For example a few months ago I picked up a Gen 1 brick Gameboy with Tetris for $5, not a bad price, about what it's worth. A month later I find another one, in worse shape with no game sitting in the jewelery case with a $30 tag on it. Who the hell is pricing this shit?

I think my Salvation army must have changed staff recently, there are now two women running the register, instead of the previous woman who would not budge on anything. The 2 women there are very nice and they are willing to price games at .99 or even .50 as I mentioned before the holidays they gave me 50% off games priced at .99 or .50 because the games were old and they wanted to get rid of them. However games do not show up often at my SA so don't think this happens all the time. Anything that is a disk is .99 I think and VHS tapes are .99 which is all totally reasonable for a thrift.

The selection of clothing has also gotten better and slightly better priced though most clothing items are still a bit overpriced. There is more selection now though meaning I might actually be able to find something other than tattered overpriced rags. They also have bins of stuffed animals priced at .29 each and some toys at .59 each. They never had these prices previously.

The only thing I can say about pricing is that it must be totally arbitrary based on whatever someone is feeling on that particular day.

This thread saddens me with its lack of pictures.

What happened to pics or didn't happen?

Was gonna ask the GW guy who the hell put a $40 tag on a GameGear in a little carrying case sitting in the glass case upfront but there was a long line yesterday. My boxed GG with Sonic and booklets was only $10 from the same store. Next time I go Ill ask to look at it and say "soooo you mean $4 right???".

[quote name='Lugi']This thread saddens me with its lack of pictures.

What happened to pics or didn't happen?[/QUOTE]
Some of us are waiting for a $10 thrift store digital camera find, as we don't wanna pay $100 or more for one.:booty:

After taking my dad to the flea market today and finding Fire Suplex for the Neo Geo for $3, we stopped at the goodwill store near the flea market and I found Pilotwings Resort for the 3DS in the case by the register! It's got a salvage sticker on the back, but it's complete, and even the club nintendo code worked! It was marked $14.98, but my dad let me put it with his purchases to get the wednesday 20% senior discount ;)

IMG_1616.jpg

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Some of us are waiting for a $10 thrift store digital camera find, as we don't wanna pay $100 or more for one.:booty:[/QUOTE]

Really. I have a $35-40 cheapie from Kmart, but it's so temperamental I have to take 20 shots to get one that's halfway in focus.

There's been some debate about whether it's a thrift store or a used merch store, but this local place I buy a bunch of stuff from turned up with a copy of Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete in pristine condition. Picked up my second copy of Kirby's Dreamland 3, too. Envy me. :D

[quote name='Lugi']This thread saddens me with its lack of pictures.

What happened to pics or didn't happen?[/QUOTE]

I don't have time or space to take pics. Check the link in my sig to see all of my finds, as 95% of my Amazon storefront is from the GW outlet. Some of the real gems, however, stay in my collection and don't get listed.

[quote name='juangrande386']Was gonna ask the GW guy who the hell put a $40 tag on a GameGear in a little carrying case sitting in the glass case upfront but there was a long line yesterday. My boxed GG with Sonic and booklets was only $10 from the same store. Next time I go Ill ask to look at it and say "soooo you mean $4 right???".[/QUOTE]

I've questioned Goodwill before when I see totally ludicrous prices like this on items and the usual response I get is "That's what it sells for online", to which I roll my eyes. Surprisingly even the overpriced crap eventually sells, or is shoplifted, or gets shuffled around to another store, because I will very rarely see the same item at the same Goodwill twice during different visits.

[quote name='jaysapathy']There's been some debate about whether it's a thrift store or a used merch store, but this local place I buy a bunch of stuff from turned up with a copy of Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete in pristine condition. Picked up my second copy of Kirby's Dreamland 3, too. Envy me. :D[/QUOTE]

So are you looking to trade that double?

the xbox i bought at a goodwill last week was busted so i returned it and got an N64 with the ram expansion pak, all cables, 2 gray controllers, and an original xbox power supply with the surge protector for $19 total

i also found Dungeon Keeper for PC with 2 manuals for $1.99

[quote name='JediKiller24']After taking my dad to the flea market today and finding Fire Suplex for the Neo Geo for $3, we stopped at the goodwill store near the flea market and I found Pilotwings Resort for the 3DS in the case by the register! It's got a salvage sticker on the back, but it's complete, and even the club nintendo code worked! It was marked $14.98, but my dad let me put it with his purchases to get the wednesday 20% senior discount ;)

IMG_1616.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I also scored a complete copy of Pilotwing Resort for $14.99 today at Goodwill. Anyway, I just got back from visiting several GoodWill stores which were all on the way back home. I was able to find more classic/games in complete condition. I saw a couple of Kinect games (Dance Central & The Fighter Uncaged $14.99 each) and Intelligent Cube (disc only w/ back artwork) for $5.99, but I didn't buy them.

Sega $3.99 each
GameCube $5.99 each
3DS $14.99

Michael Jackson's MoonWalker
Street of Rage
Golden Axe II
Sonic the Hedge Hog
The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time/Master Quest
The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
MGS: The Twin Snakes
Pilotwings Resort

sd538703.jpg

[quote name='postaboy']I saw a couple of Kinect games (Dance Central & The Fighter Uncaged $14.99 each) and Intelligent Cube (disc only w/ back artwork) for $5.99, but I didn't buy them.[/QUOTE]
:whistle2:s:shock:

You do realize what IQ is worth on average, right? What condition was the game in? If it was in ok shape(meaning not mangled to shit with tons of scratches), then could you please go back and pick it up. I'd pay you around $10 shipped for it.;)

But for future reference, THIS is typically what the game is worth.:whistle2:#

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:whistle2:s:shock:

You do realize what IQ is worth on average, right? What condition was the game in? If it was in ok shape(meaning not mangled to shit with tons of scratches), then could you please go back and pick it up. I'd pay you around $10 shipped for it.;)

But for future reference, THIS is typically what the game is worth.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

The disc had a lot of deep scratches and the cashier told me someone returned it back two days ago. I'm assuming the disc didn't work. Because of that, I passed on it unless you still want it lol.

Ahhhh ok. Nevermind then.:razz:

That's like one of the four games I've been looking for for PS1 that are impossible to find cheap. The others being both Tombas and a cancelled game called Thrill Kill. The only way to get that one is via an illegal copy though.:whistle2:#

[quote name='postaboy']The disc had a lot of deep scratches and the cashier told me someone returned it back two days ago. I'm assuming the disc didn't work. Because of that, I passed on it unless you still want it lol.[/QUOTE]

I've passed on games for the same reason too, but if somebody has a resurfacing machine chances are the only damning scratches are top disc scratches (I had a Digimon World with a near mint bottom surface and just a few very light scratches on the top silver--these made the game unloadable).

Other than all that good stuff, if you have an IQ that works it could have poop on it and you would still clear $30.

I dont pick up that many disc games from GW but when I do Im glad I work at a library with a $2000 disc buffer. That thing is amazing.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Ahhhh ok. Nevermind then.:razz:

That's like one of the four games I've been looking for for PS1 that are impossible to find cheap. The others being both Tombas and a cancelled game called Thrill Kill. The only way to get that one is via an illegal copy though.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Funny I have found all three of those in the last year for under $5. Sold them all because they don't interest me :( I just want to find Earthbound...

[quote name='juangrande386']I dont pick up that many disc games from GW but when I do Im glad I work at a library with a $2000 disc buffer. That thing is amazing.[/QUOTE]

Bah, I'll take my $40 Harbor Freight bench buffer. :D

As far as GW pickups, we had a score of scores at the outlet yesterday. Half a cart of consoles.

I'll actually try to get a pic of this one:

Consoles:
Dreamcast console w/ 4 controllers and 3 VMUs
Black Gamecube, sans the power adapter
Two Genesis 2 consoles with seven 3-button controllers
32X
Woody Atari 2600 with one controller, no power adapter
A busted up SNES with all cables and 3 controllers
Black N64 with one controller
and a whole slew of other cables and controllers.

Games, cart only:
Mario 64 :N64:
Zelda: Ocarina of Time :N64:
Super Mario World :snes:
Super Mario Land 2 :gb:

And from my trip an hour ago to the GW across the street, I found:

GTA4 :360:
Medal of Honor LE :360:
Lego Indy/Kung Fu Panda :360:
all for $3/ea.

Nothing super fancy today, but all this for $8 and some change out the door.
SSPX0154.jpg

The memory card was really nasty, I pulled it out of the wreckage of a smashed controller, but I needed one, and I figure it can always be cleaned up. It's still pretty grody, but at least it's *more* sanitary.

And the glue gun was, well I needed a new one, and a brand new one for 3 bucks looked good. It was actually the most expensive item :lol:

[quote name='Ash Burton']Funny I have found all three of those in the last year for under $5. Sold them all because they don't interest me :( I just want to find Earthbound...[/QUOTE]
:bomb:I hate you.:razz:

Decent finds today

Goodwill:
Tomb Raider 2 PS1 original non-GH version like new for 99 cents
WWF Warzone PS1 Greatest Hits in Fair Shape for $1.99

I actually wasn't even going to grab WWF Warzone since I try to avoid GH titles for my collection unless it's something I know I can flip later on when I find the non-GH version, but I really wanted the Tomb Raider 2 game, and I didn't have cash on me, and I feel like a schmuck buying something for 99 cents and paying with a card, so I just grabbed the only other thing in the store I would have wanted.

Next at the Savers Thrift store I picked up 2 original Spirograph sets from the 60's for $6 total. Both are missing the pens, and one set is missing a few pieces and not in mint shape, but I searched eBay before purchasing them, and apparently they flip well for some reason? I wasn't really aware that there was a huge market for Spirograph, but it looks like I should be able to get about $30 a piece for these sets without much problem.

That's like one of the four games I've been looking for for PS1 that are impossible to find cheap. The others being both Tombas and a cancelled game called Thrill Kill. The only way to get that one is via an illegal copy though.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

I saw Tomba 2 at a local used video store for $10 last week. Didn't know it was hard to find or I would have grabbed it. Of course it was not there when I stopped in earlier today.

LOL! A CAGer wanted me to get the Intelligent Cube game for him and I ended up finding two more complete Zelda games. It was at the same Goodwill store that I picked up the Zelda games.

sd538790.jpg

[quote name='postaboy']LOL! A CAGer wanted me to get the Intelligent Cube game for him and I ended up finding two more complete Zelda games. It was at the same Goodwill store that I picked up the Zelda games.

sd538790.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Every Gamecube Zelda? congrats my man

btw, let's get a pic of 'em all stacked up.

[quote name='postaboy']LOL! A CAGer wanted me to get the Intelligent Cube game for him and I ended up finding two more complete Zelda games. It was at the same Goodwill store that I picked up the Zelda games.

[/QUOTE]

Your local thrift store is awesome.

I stopped by 5 thrift stores today and could only find a purple N64 controller for $3.99. A Goodwill here had an opened :ps3: SWTFU2 CE for $29.99 and opened Kinect Sports for $24.99. WHAT?!

I have seen Tomba before at a yard sale but it was so scratched up and disc only and it was like $4. I have only seen it once.

[quote name='SaraAB']I have seen Tomba before at a yard sale but it was so scratched up and disc only and it was like $4. I have only seen it once.[/QUOTE]
As long as the scratches weren't deep enough to be coming out the top layer of the disc, then there's always the hope of having it buffed for $2 at a local shop and getting it to look at least tolerable.;)

I'll take old games I'm interested in(both Tombas, Intelligent Qube) disc only and scratched as long as they're cheap and the scratches look like something that can be fixed/buffed out.
[quote name='kk012']Your local thrift store is awesome.

I stopped by 5 thrift stores today and could only find a purple N64 controller for $3.99. A Goodwill here had an opened :ps3: SWTFU2 CE for $29.99 and opened Kinect Sports for $24.99. WHAT?![/QUOTE]
That SW TFU 2 CE was likely a junked out item from a nearby Target. That's what the one Target here was going to do to the one I returned because of the outward condition of the packaging.:whistle2:# That CE had the worst packaging ever for a CE. The printing came right up off of the plastic sleeve the game/flash drive is bundled inside of and the tape seal holding it closed was often popping open and taking the printing with it, making many employees think that the item was opened prior(as they thought with my bundle when I returned it:bomb:).

I actually just found Tomba 2 today, complete in good shape, at a flea market for $4. I've found it twice in the past as well, one time it was disc only for $5 and the other time it was mint and complete for $20. I've only found one disc only copy of the first game and I paid $20 for it - I've never seen it complete.

I did get a sealed demo for the game from a game studio that had a firesale in my area last month (along with about $3,000 worth of new, sealed, OOP MacSoft games that I only paid $300 for). They still haven't publicly announced their closure, otherwise I'd be bragging my ass off in one of these threads. Had about sixteen chances to grab physical copies of a high-profile game that will forever be cancelled (and unreleased) - my morale got the better of me, though.

Finally made it out to the local outlet store... Man, that place is a madhouse. I made it out alive, though, with an N64 transfer pak and two controllers, one green and one grey, for $1.88.

Edit: Oh yeah, there was also a Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up 45rpm single. It was very seriously considered.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Tally Wag']Every Gamecube Zelda? congrats my man

btw, let's get a pic of 'em all stacked up.[/QUOTE]

sd538823.jpg

total spent: $29.95

I had a up and down day.

I'll start with the down...

I got home with the batteries I needed for Bakudan Man and had a few moments of joy as I started playing it. Then I realized that the black "border" was growing. Having not messed around with these style games since I was a kid I'm really not even sure what exactly is going on but I hadn't noticed previously that the game had a black border it wasn't supposed to have... apparently my putting the batteries in and playing it hastened the growth. Yayy... :whistle2:(

So that negates my big pickup from last week but I went on a bit of a spree (by the way I hate you sp00ge, I still don't have a Genesis [I've seen a lot but I refuse to pay like $40] and you won't let me feel good about my finds). I spent $80 at a few thrift stores. I'm leaving out some misc/unnoteworthy stuff and I've been able to test almost everything.

$20 N64 with third party controller, memory card and av cable (my worst purchase and only because it came with the expansion pack which has been eluding me).
$20 SNES with two controllers, original AC adapter (also eluding me), RF connector, and AV cable.
The rest came out to under $40.
Hori Flightstick 2 (Ace Combat version)
3DS Nintendogs+Cats (are people buying these thinking they are DS compatible?)
Parasite Eve (Complete)
PSX Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Complete)
Genesis Streets of Rage 2
SNES Kirby Super Star
PS2 Ico Complete
SNES Mini (console only) which is dirty but works great.
A Game Gear which barely displays the game it has, but from what I can tell has a UK(Pal) Game Gear game in it, which means I'll have to dig up old Game Gear games I've been saving for such an occasion. So may be that works, or may be it goes with the Bakudan Man pile of almost working finds.

At least I'm not the guy who happily spent $25 on a giant TV only to wheel it outside, find an outlet and leave it there after realizing it was dumped at the thrift store for a reason.

[quote name='postaboy']
sd538823.jpg

total spent: $29.95[/QUOTE]

So nice. I priced these out at my local vintage game store. Came to like $120 after all is said and done. Color me envious.

Ugh... just picked up the N64 controllers I bought yesterday to determine just how loose the analog sticks were and noticed both controllers have gouges in them like someone let their dog use them as a chew toy.

I now feel much less positive about this purchase. Epoxy and spray paint?

[quote name='Jerry-kun']Ugh... just picked up the N64 controllers I bought yesterday to determine just how loose the analog sticks were and noticed both controllers have gouges in them like someone let their dog use them as a chew toy.

I now feel much less positive about this purchase. Epoxy and spray paint?[/QUOTE]

Thats way too much work for something so common that doesn't hold much value. If you're really that bothered by thee cosmetic damage, just toss them and be glad you only spent a dollar and change.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't find much today, so I'm posting all of it.

These were pretty cool.
IMG_1697.jpg

It was pretty funny. I was saying to myself in a Goodwill, how I've never found any of my classic 80's toys ever in the entire time I've thrifted. No Transformer's, no Thundercats, no M.A.S.K, no nothing. Two seconds later, I shit you not, I saw this on the shelf. So awesome and full of nostalgia. Most are in pieces but there are some salvageable ones in it and the pieces should sell as a nice lot.
IMG_1698.jpg

Next were these two cool games for .98 cents each.
IMG_1700.jpg

And finally.... never in my wildest dreams. It was .98 cents and then the shitty little store I found it in was having a 50% off sale on everything. .49 cents out the door.
IMG_1701.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back