Thrift Store Thread 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did some snooping around the last couple of days and managed to bring home the following:

uS9qJl.jpg

Jakks Ms. Pac-Man Plug n' Play
Donald Duck mug
Olympic Games 1972 glasses
A bag of various Disney tapes and their books
Old VHS movie (barely visible but should get a mention, since I can flip it for a 6000% profit!)

wUeFwl.jpg

[GBA] Donkey Kong (NES Classics)
[NDS] LifeSigns
[NDS] Nintendo DS Browser
[NDS] Polarium
[NDS] Ultimate Band
[XBX] Halo (Not for resale thingy)

This should keep me happy for a while :)

Last edited by a moderator:
^Nice find on the Nintendo DS Browser. That thing can't be found easily in the U.S. region. If weren't for the DSi and 3DS having a browser, I'd be trying to track one of those down.

Anyway, I found an original Xbox for $5. Missing all the cords and probably broken. I wonder if it was worth it for parts. I also found Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped for $1, so I suppose if that game works I can take the hit of having a $5 paperweight since Crash 3 is about $6 on PSN.

$12.94- Banjo Kazooie, Quake II, WCW/NWO Revenge, and Perfect Dark.

All dirty and cartridge only but they should clean up and the labels look fine. Past on Supercross 2000, Madden 2002, NFL Blitz, San Fransico Rush, Cruisin USA, and a labelless cart that said "007" so I assumed Goldeneye.

Wish I wouldve found the N64 cus I got a stack of doubles and sports games I need to make an Ebay bundle with.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']^Nice find on the Nintendo DS Browser. That thing can't be found easily in the U.S. region. If weren't for the DSi and 3DS having a browser, I'd be trying to track one of those down.[/QUOTE]

Really? I didn't think it would be hard to track one down. They did have one more of them, so I might just be going back to pick it up soon just to have it :lol:

I went back to the Salvation Army I stopped at last Wednesday and saw this 25-26 disc Transformers Generation 1 set at(first 3 seasons and the movie) that was marked $49.99.

They agreed last week to sell it to me for $19.99, but I waffled and came back an hour or two later and the manager(who had agreed to sell it to me for $20) had left for the day.

So I stopped back yesterday and it was still there. So I managed to get lucky and found the manager there again. She made the same offer for $19.99 for it. I quickly snapped it up.

Unfortunately I had ripped the front of the box trying to get the wooden inner box out last week:)bomb:#-oinstead of trying to tip the box at an angle I tried getting my fingers in there to pull the inner box out), so there was the issue of that. I also noticed that the inner wooden box had the lid only connected by a thin piece of paper and that was partially ripped as well.:whistle2:#

Anyway, I bought that and watched the TF movie out of the set. The menus were in Chinese/Japanese but I figured out that the top selection was the one to play the movie. It looked and sounded great, so I thought I got a real bargain here.

Then I tried to play one of the season dvds(season 1, disc 1) and not only were the menus in Chinese/Japanese, so were the voice overs and subtitles.:bomb:

But after reading more online about this set, I found out the third selection on the season menus is for language, so I'll see if there's an option in there to turn on English for both the menus and the voiceovers.:pray:

I also bought Ben 10 Season 1 two disc set for $4 from the same store.

I went to Good Will yesterday on my lunch break to drop off some donations and went in the store to look around. I saw a stack of perfect condition boxed/complete Nintendo 64 sports games and a stack of Genesis sports games. It always kills me to think about what was in that stack before the guy that got there before me cherry picked it. :bomb:

[quote name='blindinglights']I went to Good Will yesterday on my lunch break to drop off some donations and went in the store to look around. I saw a stack of perfect condition boxed/complete Nintendo 64 sports games and a stack of Genesis sports games. It always kills me to think about what was in that stack before the guy that got there before me cherry picked it. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I see that too, although I try to tell myself that the only reason the sports games ended up at Goodwill is because the donator couldn't sell them on eBay. I didn't miss anything good. I didn't miss anything good.

[quote name='salty tbone']I see that too, although I try to tell myself that the only reason the sports games ended up at Goodwill is because the donator couldn't sell them on eBay. I didn't miss anything good. I didn't miss anything good.[/QUOTE]

lol I say the same thing when I'm lying to myself walking out of a thrift store.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I went back to the Salvation Army I stopped at last Wednesday and saw this 25-26 disc Transformers Generation 1 set at(first 3 seasons and the movie) that was marked $49.99.

They agreed last week to sell it to me for $19.99, but I waffled and came back an hour or two later and the manager(who had agreed to sell it to me for $20) had left for the day.

So I stopped back yesterday and it was still there. So I managed to get lucky and found the manager there again. She made the same offer for $19.99 for it. I quickly snapped it up.

Unfortunately I had ripped the front of the box trying to get the wooden inner box out last week:)bomb:#-oinstead of trying to tip the box at an angle I tried getting my fingers in there to pull the inner box out), so there was the issue of that. I also noticed that the inner wooden box had the lid only connected by a thin piece of paper and that was partially ripped as well.:whistle2:#

Anyway, I bought that and watched the TF movie out of the set. The menus were in Chinese/Japanese but I figured out that the top selection was the one to play the movie. It looked and sounded great, so I thought I got a real bargain here.

Then I tried to play one of the season dvds(season 1, disc 1) and not only were the menus in Chinese/Japanese, so were the voice overs and subtitles.:bomb:

But after reading more online about this set, I found out the third selection on the season menus is for language, so I'll see if there's an option in there to turn on English for both the menus and the voiceovers.:pray:

I also bought Ben 10 Season 1 two disc set for $4 from the same store.[/QUOTE]

Wait. Prices are negotiable at Salvation Army? What about Goodwill? I thought they were set in stone at the "chains".

[quote name='slowdive21']Wait. Prices are negotiable at Salvation Army? What about Goodwill? I thought they were set in stone at the "chains".[/QUOTE]

Depends on the region and the manager.

I've seen several people haggle at a few local thrift stores, but never Goodwill. It's usually just a few bucks here and there. Nothing too dramatic.

[quote name='slowdive21']Wait. Prices are negotiable at Salvation Army? What about Goodwill? I thought they were set in stone at the "chains".[/QUOTE]

Like the others said, it depends on the person you get. If you can make a case that a game is missing a CD or if something is damaged that they may not have noticed, they might lower the price. Also, I've picked up things without stickers and took them up to the register and offered a price and it was accepted.

My experience with "haggling" at thrift stores was not really haggling. The most haggling I've ever seen/done was pointing out that a game was scratched and missing a case and they agreed to take .50 off.

[quote name='blindinglights']I went to Good Will yesterday on my lunch break to drop off some donations and went in the store to look around. I saw a stack of perfect condition boxed/complete Nintendo 64 sports games and a stack of Genesis sports games. It always kills me to think about what was in that stack before the guy that got there before me cherry picked it. :bomb:[/QUOTE]
A week or two ago I saw a lone Dreamcast game sitting in the cd rack, NFL some-date-or-another. Usually it wouldn't really bother me if it weren't for the dozen empty spots on the rack on either side of it :

Prices are never negotiable at Goodwill. I always wonder what becomes of the overpriced Console Only Playstations and X-Boxes they try and peddle. I imagine that they only allow electronic goods like that to sit out for so long before they just end up getting trashed, otherwise you'd just see endless rows of VCRs, Standard Def. TV Sets, and old computer parts. I think a lot of it also gets packed up and trucked off to the local distribution center where it gets sold in bulk.

Found a copy of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (case with cover in decent shape, no manual, disc has some scratches) for $1.99. Walked out of the store with the game for $1.28 with the 40% discount and tax. I think I did okay?

The game loaded fine on my Wii. Does the Wii upscale GC games like the PS3 does to some older gen games? I'm using the non-component cables. I should get a GC controller so I can play GC games on my Wii.

Wind Waker sells for $23~ still, so you did great on that front, even with no manual. Not sure about the technical stuff.

Odd World and Threads of Fate... awesome stuff there pollmonster

WTF! $1.95 for PS1 games. Most Goodwill stores over here in Southern California, price their games (PS1, SNES, GC, PS2, NES, GEN, PS1) at $5.99.

Stuffs I picked up the past few days at Goodwill.

Ultima V for the PC (complete in super mint condition) - $2.99
SNES Super Metriod - $5.99
SNES Kirby Superstars - $5.99
Point Blank (complete in super mint condition) - $9.99

sd531332.jpg

so I found quite a few things today...

Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy Anthologies
Lunar 2: EBC
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy Chronicles

Most were about 5 each except for Lunar which was 10. Passed on the last two. Oh and there was FF Tactics but it was being sold with a system so I had to pass. If Chronicles is worth anything, you can bet donuts I'm going back out there to get it.

Stopped by Goodwill today and only found an original Xbox small controller. I was about to buy it when I noticed the analog sticks had been chewed. I swear, every controller I see that isn't bundled with a console is always chewed on. I remember finding four Gamecube wavebirds for $2.99 each. I had them in my cart and everything and then I noticed the analog sticks.

I rarely buy actual games at my Goodwill because of the ridiculous pricing. Games are no less than $3.99. That'd be a great price for some gems, but I'm not paying that much for the common games such as the Crash Bandicoots and the Tony Hawk Pro Skater's.

Damn tigger, looks like some kid is goiong to be furious his mom donated his small collection... Or happy.

Either way, nice find man. FF 8 and Chronicles are worth about 10/15 each fluctuating.

ALso, is Lunar 2 Complete? Minty? I must know for research

Just picked up a black GameCube with a wave bird and cables for $14 after coupon at Good Will. Power adapter cable looks a little mangled but hopefully it will work long enough to test the console. I can order another one after I verify it works.

Saw a regular N64 with 2 grey controllers for $10.99 but passed since I already have one.

I didn't know there was a Fatal Fury game on the Game Gear.

I so wish the Point Blank series would be brought to current generation consoles. Never played a Point Blank game, but heard good things.

I have only seen a copy of Super Metroid once at a thrift store. I didn't have a job then and couldn't afford the $25 for the copy that came with an SNES when I was younger. I can't believe I still haven't found a copy since then, even though it became a million seller by Nintendo. Oh well, maybe it will be my first Virtual Console download along with Kirby's Dreamland 3 and Mystical Ninja for the SNES.

kinda looks like it mightve been $1.99 at first, $4.99 aint bad at all either.

Went today, looks like someone picked up the N64 games I left the other day.....except labelless Goldeneye and NFL Blitz. I know IGN gave it a 3/10 but I keep thinking about picking up the copy of Asphalt 3D for 3DS thats been in the glasscase for a week. Its $12 and the user reviews at Gamstop.com arent even close to 3/10, more like a bunch of 8s and 9s. Anyone with a 3DS have this?

For $12 you couldn't really go wrong, looks like the Amazon TIV is around 15 so even if you don't like it you can flip it to them.

Was in the area at around the time they opened, so I figured I'd go in and check if Goodwill really does put out their best stuff at the same time they change the tag color. Found this:

CD-i.jpg

No remotes, though, so I'll be in there every single day until I find one. They go for way too much on eBay.

[quote name='schuerm26']I think these are all out of print. I know a couple of them are at least. The blue one is $34 on Amazon. I got them all for $1.50 each.[/QUOTE]

Yes they are out of print due to them being WWF releases.

Also I can just imagine an unknowing Goodwill employee thinking that CD-I system being an "fancy CD player."

[quote name='Jerry-kun']
No remotes, though, so I'll be in there every single day until I find one. They go for way too much on eBay.[/QUOTE]

yeah if your luck is anything like mine you wont find any controllers

i've found 3 cd-i's over the past couple years and they never have anything else except for the unit, ill go in and search for 2 days in a row afterwards always ending up empty handed

everyone must really hate the cd-i controllers and sends them to the garbage or something, makes no sense why they are more rare than the system itself when every system came with one

but now that i think about it, it's probably because that system sold the least amount of "extra controllers" so they are not in abundance like the more successful systems

the real easy money is in the controllers, you think you have a find when you get the system but those cd-i's are plagued with problems due to aging

Yeah - from what I've read, the remotes are terribly scarce and were just awful to play games with, even though the pads weren't much better. Seriously, though, how do you lose a remote control that has a freaking thumbstick sticking out of it? You'd think that would stand out among all your other remotes.

I've read you can mod a Genesis controller to work with the CD-i, and there's an abundance of those. Either way, I'll have it up and running at some point.

[quote name='Jerry-kun']Was in the area at around the time they opened, so I figured I'd go in and check if Goodwill really does put out their best stuff at the same time they change the tag color. Found this:

CD-i.jpg

No remotes, though, so I'll be in there every single day until I find one. They go for way too much on eBay.[/QUOTE]

Shit I think I have passed that up at a garage sale. That is a system? What do the CD/games look like?

CD-i games look like CD cases with games on the front.

gamelon_evil_sealed.jpg

Image is huge, careful:p Those are sealed copies of 2 of the Zelda games for CD-i. The games come with a slipcover but I doubt you would find the slipcovers in the wild.

complete_set.jpg

[quote name='slowdive21']Shit I think I have passed that up at a garage sale. That is a system? What do the CD/games look like?[/QUOTE]

"Game System" is a term used very loosely here. :lol:

[quote name='salty tbone']That is incorrect.[/QUOTE]

Oh, ok then. So far for me all the other cdi games have been in cases like i said before. Good to know theres more regulars out there.

[quote name='slowdive21']^^I think it is safe to say I have NEVER seen the games in the wild...I may have seen a couple of the consoles though.[/QUOTE]

I'm the opposite, I've never found a CD-i in the wild, but I did find Wand of Gamelon at a Play N Trade for $15 a few years ago.

As for CDi game packaging, I'm not sure that there was a standard. I've seen long boxed "games" (Compton's Encyclopedia) as well as jewel cases. The CD-i launched before DVD was anywhere near standard so I'm pretty sure DVD cases only would have been used on the latest of the late releases, if at all.

In any case, the only person I knew who had a CD-i back in '95 was my friend whose dad used it for business presentations (it's a multimedia device, not specifically for games). I think the vast majority of CD-i owners didnt use the device primarily for gaming, so you'll be hard pressed to find many games outside of the internet.

I found a whole pile of 3D0 games at a thrift a few weeks ago. I keep looking for the unit, but haven't found it yet. :(

Mad dog mcree
hell
5-6 others

It was nice getting them for $0.20 each, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back