Thrift Store Thread 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I found about $100 worth of books for $8, as well as the following DS games for $2 each:

Super Mario 64
Animal Crossing
mario party
Yoshi's island
battleship/connect4/whatever

I picked up a TI-84plus for $35, which I know is a little high for a thrift, but still a solid price.

zoFYa.jpg

Loco Roco 2 - $1.91
Simon's Quest - $2.92

I know I paid about $2.92 too much for Simon's Quest.

You don't happen to live by me, do ya? I ask because there's one neighborhood thrift that prices stuff like that($1.91, etc).Anyway, I finally ended my 1-2 week thrift store drought today. I picked up the following:pS1-Bubble Bobble w/ Rainbow Islands-$2.99(was there last week but I passed then)DVD-Mickey Spillanes Mike Hammer-26 episodes on 4 DVD's(SEALED)-$7.99(also there last week and passed on it)

Picked up a complete in box HeroQuest board game today for $2.99. I've been looking for this game forever, so I was happy to finally find it. I also found a complete "Legends of Robin Hood" Avalon Hill game for the same price.

Nothing for me except some free boobies. I'm standing there looking at the games like usual when I notice this MILF walking around in a skin tight tanktop. She walked closer and I noticed something was off. At first, I figured she was just cold. Then I noticed she wasn't wearing a bra and her tanktop was clearly see through. I'm not talking just oh, it's mesh see through. I'm talking, you could see the color of her nipple see through.

Finally an attractive woman who decides not to wear a bra. There is a god.

Found a copy of the Oblivion GotY guide for 2.98 at a local thrift last week - man, that thing is HUGE!

I read people talking about values of old games and I KNOW there are some bargains to be had cause I see old games all the time but I never know what old systems are worth, so I don;t even look closely.... :(
Those old systems are just so confusing to me.
I wouldn't know the difference between Lunar 2 and Simon's Quest.

[quote name='reapersaurus']Found a copy of the Oblivion GotY guide for 2.98 at a local thrift last week - man, that thing is HUGE!

I read people talking about values of old games and I KNOW there are some bargains to be had cause I see old games all the time but I never know what old systems are worth, so I don;t even look closely.... :(
Those old systems are just so confusing to me.
I wouldn't know the difference between Lunar 2 and Simon's Quest.[/QUOTE]

When you first start trying to buy retro system stuff, it can be hard to know values, especially if you were very young or not even born when those systems were the latest and greatest at the time. I am still learning about which titles are valuable all the time, but through some practice (ex: buying lots at yard sales and looking stuff up), you start to know what is good and what is junk.

N64 and Super Nintendo stuff, in general, seems to be pretty good. You might google for a valuable games list for these systems to get familiar. Sega Genesis tends to be junk, but there are some good titles for every system. It just takes practice to know what's what.

[quote name='Doomstink']Picked up a complete in box HeroQuest board game today for $2.99. I've been looking for this game forever, so I was happy to finally find it. I also found a complete "Legends of Robin Hood" Avalon Hill game for the same price.[/QUOTE]

OMG awesome, i was looking forever for that board game also and my g/f found a complete one at a flea market for $25, that was such a happy day haha - $2.99 wow

[quote name='Tsel']Nothing for me except some free boobies. I'm standing there looking at the games like usual when I notice this MILF walking around in a skin tight tanktop. She walked closer and I noticed something was off. At first, I figured she was just cold. Then I noticed she wasn't wearing a bra and her tanktop was clearly see through. I'm not talking just oh, it's mesh see through. I'm talking, you could see the color of her nipple see through.

Finally an attractive woman who decides not to wear a bra. There is a god.[/QUOTE]

hahahahhaha good stuff

[quote name='Floopy']When you first start trying to buy retro system stuff, it can be hard to know values, especially if you were very young or not even born when those systems were the latest and greatest at the time. I am still learning about which titles are valuable all the time, but through some practice (ex: buying lots at yard sales and looking stuff up), you start to know what is good and what is junk.

N64 and Super Nintendo stuff, in general, seems to be pretty good. You might google for a valuable games list for these systems to get familiar. Sega Genesis tends to be junk, but there are some good titles for every system. It just takes practice to know what's what.[/QUOTE]
I'd add there are quite a few valuable PS1 games as well. For flipping purposes PS1 and SNES seem to be have the highest concentration of high value games.

[quote name='reapersaurus']Found a copy of the Oblivion GotY guide for 2.98 at a local thrift last week - man, that thing is HUGE![/QUOTE]
It's also worth a good buck if it's in great shape. I used to have a stack of the old tan(non GOTY) ones from various Best Buy penny drops. They were kinda worthless at the time, so I dropped them to the local shop for $.50 each.

And wouldn't it figure that once the GOTY version dropped there were either A) none at any of my local BB/GS stores or B) they had become super strict about not selling pennied shit for a while.:roll:

Stopped at the Goodwill near my job today, which rarely has anything worth buying, and today didn't disappoint, just a whole lot of nothing. I did however notice a large bin filled with random books waiting to be shelved which was labeled "books already scanned", which leads me to believe that this Goodwill is pre-scanning items before they get put out on the sales floor, in order to cherry pick the ones of value. I know other people have mentioned that their local stores have been doing this now, and it's been a known fact that Goodwill has been cherry picking through merchandise for their website, at least on a smaller scale, but it's still a bummer and would explain why I never find anything at this Goodwill.

I'm really not sure what the logic behind Goodwill's decision to do this is, outside of the obvious increase in revenue that would come from selling valuable goods at market value rather than at a discount. In the long run however, this is going to result in nothing more than Goodwill destroying their retail business, which is half the reason of their existence, to provide training and jobs for the handicapped. The only reason people go to Goodwill in the first place is for bargain hunting and finding good deals on otherwise expensive merchandise. If you cherry pick the good stuff, all you leave is the shit nobody wants, and people will simply stop coming. If Thrift stores like Goodwill or Salvation Army or Savers think that they can get away with charging an arm and a leg for merchandise because "that's what it goes for on the Internet" or just flat out hold back on all the good stuff so they can sell it online, then they won't be long for this world, because people just aren't willing to pay those prices. How many of us go into these stores and see the same crappy selection of CD's or Electronics or Video Games that have been sitting on the shelf for months because the store wants to much for it and it's of no value?

How about the endless selection of VHS tapes that should have been thrown in the trash a decade ago, but are still allowed to rot on the shelves? Hell, why do these stores even continue to accept donations of VCRs, old CRT televisions, and antiquated (but not so antiquated that it's cool) computer equipment? Why do these stores think they can get away with charging higher prices for used, scratched DVDs that I can buy brand new for less right next door at Big Lots? It's sad because I used to enjoy shopping at these places, but unfortunately I think greed and incompetence are going to do a lot of these companies in, and the thrift store industry may be one that won't last the decade.

Last edited by a moderator:
My goodwills are awful here.

Want some $14.99 PSP accessories that Target donated to them?

Want some Sega Genesis Sports games for $7 apeice?

Everything else we're selling on ebay. Sorry.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You don't happen to live by me, do ya? I ask because there's one neighborhood thrift that prices stuff like that($1.91, etc).[/QUOTE]

No, I don't live near the Land of Honlaee, I'm in Ohio. That's a Volunteers of America, and there's some really great stuff there from time to time. There was a TI-83 for $5 I really hated leaving, and a very nice, very recent digital camera for $15. A lot of times it's obvious they don't really have any idea what this stuff is worth; once I found a copy of Tactics Ogre for $3 just tossed in with the old CDs, while all the PS2 2001 sports games are locked behind the case for $6 each, or an OG Xbox that, maddeningly, someone actually paid $80 for.

[quote name='jer7583']My goodwills are awful here.

Everything else we're selling on ebay. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

They actually put it on eBay and not the Goodwill auction site? The auction site has good stuff, just not very cheap.

[quote name='jer7583']My goodwills are awful here.

Everything else we're selling on ebay. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

How dare Goodwill sell stuff on eBay when they could sell it to CAGs who will sell it on eBay for more.

[quote name='Survivalism']No, I don't live near the Land of Honlaee, I'm in Ohio. That's a Volunteers of America, and there's some really great stuff there from time to time. There was a TI-83 for $5 I really hated leaving, and a very nice, very recent digital camera for $15. A lot of times it's obvious they don't really have any idea what this stuff is worth; once I found a copy of Tactics Ogre for $3 just tossed in with the old CDs, while all the PS2 2001 sports games are locked behind the case for $6 each, or an OG Xbox that, maddeningly, someone actually paid $80 for.[/QUOTE]
We just had a Volunteers Of America store open up around here about 2-3 years ago. But there's also another 'neighborhood' thrift store that up till about 2 months ago didn't even take debit/credit cards that also prices stuff like that($1.91, $2.92, etc).

Stopped by a thrift store on my way home after reading the last few pages. Picked up a sealed pc game, Fantasy General for $6 on a wild guess. Seems to be selling at around $30 or so so not a bad pickup. They also had the gamecube Pokemon Coliseum bonus disc... I passed for now, it was also at $6. I think I should go back tomorrow and grab it. Also passed on a complete The Ancient Art of War pc game, and a complete Lords of the Realm II. Was going to grab that one but the disc looked a bit scratched up.

well i dunno if its ebay but they sell it elsewhere.

I went to a very strange out of the way goodwill yesterday and they had, i kid you not - 40-50 copies of DJ Hero for 360 sealed mixed in with the paperback books.

Also weird? another 20-30 copies of Prince of Persia forgotten sands or whatever for 360, new and sealed.

Some target probably gave them away when they wouldn't sell at $12 on clearance.

[quote name='jer7583']Some target probably gave them away when they wouldn't sell at $12 on clearance.[/QUOTE]

You're probably right. A while back mine had an entire rack of new PC games with Best Buy stickers on them, quality titles like Oblivion. But I think a lot of the really nice stuff they sell on the website. It's not like they're just selling it on eBay and pocketing the profits. Quite frankly I don't know where they're getting the HDTVs and iPads they're selling, but it's still the Goodwill.

they could be refurbished or returns that stores sold them at a heavy discount. I see a lot of stuff come into mine that is marked "field destroy" or "unsaleable return" that comes from gamestop.

missed out on a Hero Scape starter set for $5.99 today at SA. I had my daughter sleeping on my shoulder, and saw it there, went for a cart so I could get it, and when I got back it was gone. I wanted to cry, I've wanted to get into Hero Scape for a while.

They also had Mario 64 for $2. I'm tempted to go back and get it but I don't even have a 64.

[quote name='Survivalism']
vmVxe.jpg

Songs 4 Worship and AOL 6.0? Jackpot.[/QUOTE]
:lol: Some of the thrift stores around here used to put $2-5 price tags on the AOL CD's you were able to get from WalMart for free by the truckload.:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol: Some of the thrift stores around here used to put $2-5 price tags on the AOL CD's you were able to get from WalMart for free by the truckload.:roll:[/QUOTE]

This one still has some poor sucker's address on it.

Another thing I've noticed is they resell a lot of Bibles. I'm not a religious man, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't fly.

I frequent Goodwill quite often. I haven't picked up anything lately, but I think my most interesting find was a sealed Japanese copy of Pokemon Platinum a week before it released in the US. I have no idea how it got there, but just couldn't pass it up for $10.

The Lost Vikings $3.99 - South St. Thrift Store
Final Fantasy VII (complete w/ manual) $2.99 - Salvation Army
WaveBird Controller (no receiver) - $3.99 - GoodWill
Wii Sports w/ sleeve and manual + Wii Sports Resort disc only (hidden behind the manual) - $5.99 - GoodWill
1985 Team Murray Cycling Division 10 Speed Road Bike 50CM (fixy project) - $29.99 - GoodWill

dscn1334c.jpg

dscn1261r.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Another thing I've noticed is they resell a lot of Bibles. I'm not a religious man, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't fly.[/QUOTE]

What kind of Bibles? I've flipped a number of Bibles on Ebay, especially Study Bibles. A nice leather bound study bible can be flipped for $20-$30.

[quote name='postaboy']
1985 Team Murray Cycling Division 10 Speed Road Bike 50CM (fixy project) - $29.99 - GoodWill][/QUOTE]

I bought a 80s Schwinn road bike with a decent set of aerobars at a good will last year for $35. I didn't need the bike, so i decided to sell it on craigslist. I didn't get any bites until I relisted it with the text "great fixie conversion" in the ad - then I had 8 emails in the first hour, and a guy drove an hour that evening to buy it. ;)

Drove way out to the Salvation Army, only to have my mind blown:

1o44O.jpg

$2.99.

[quote name='JediKiller24']What kind of Bibles? I've flipped a number of Bibles on Ebay, especially Study Bibles. A nice leather bound study bible can be flipped for $20-$30.[/QUOTE]

All kinds, little cheap ones and big fancy leather ones. Just a lot of them in general. I guess, know that I know they're flippable...well, it helps not believing in Hell.

[quote name='Survivalism']Drove way out to the Salvation Army, only to have my mind blown:

1o44O.jpg

$2.99.

All kinds, little cheap ones and big fancy leather ones. Just a lot of them in general. I guess, know that I know they're flippable...well, it helps not believing in Hell.[/QUOTE]

nice pickup on the turbographix and getting bonks. A friend of mine had the system when we were growing up, and we played that game alot. Would love to find one, one of these days, especially at that price.

And I also agree, bibles are pretty valuable, and definitely flippable if you find the right ones, or get them really cheap

[quote name='yourlefthand']I bought a 80s Schwinn road bike with a decent set of aerobars at a good will last year for $35. I didn't need the bike, so i decided to sell it on craigslist. I didn't get any bites until I relisted it with the text "great fixie conversion" in the ad - then I had 8 emails in the first hour, and a guy drove an hour that evening to buy it. ;)[/QUOTE]

yeah I was planning to do that...sell it after the conversion.

Alright. I probably should've left the item I picked up and picked up the item I left behind at two seperate thrift stores this afternoon.

At the same Salvation Army I grabbed the Bubble Bobble at earlier this week(that I left there last week) I picked up Creatures for PS1.

At the prior thrift store(just over the river from this one I hit for the game) I left a working iMac. Normally when I've found them they're password locked by the prior user and/or dead as a door nail. But this one was fully functional and came with keyboard AND mouse.

Yeah. I know. I'm stupid.

All kinds, little cheap ones and big fancy leather ones. Just a lot of them in general. I guess, know that I know they're flippable...well, it helps not believing in Hell.[/QUOTE]

If all those Christian bookstores can sell them at inflated prices, then I don't think you have anything to worry about.

A Gameboy printer (seems useless)
Dragon's Lair for the Mac (also seems useless)

Oh Arc, why do you lock away your huge stack of sports games in the case?

Ugh. One of my local stores that has been a gold mine seems to have a new manager. They have started marking the 'nice' things at closer to retail prices. :(

I got a Genesis + SegaCD + a bunch of games there for $15 once, now they want $80 for a used music sequencer that is untestable (no batteries or power cord) but is being sold "as-is".

I got the last laugh though - Nascar Racing 2003 Season for $0.25.

finally got around to doing some research on an item i picked up like 6 months ago at a thrift shop.

Turns out it's the Asian region English Language version of resident evil 1 for PC.

I had never been able to find any similar photos anywhere on the internet so i started looking up resident evil collectors' pages, and the closest I could find was the japanese version which had similar graphics and design unlike the US one which is exactly like the PS1 release.

I emailed the website owner and he said that it's the asian version and he's never seen a copy before.

I want to sell it but i have no idea what it would be worth or how to promote and find people who would want it..

[quote name='Survivalism']Drove way out to the Salvation Army, only to have my mind blown:[/QUOTE]

1o44O.jpg

$2.99.

nice score on the TG16, i had one back in middle school, i used to play the crap out of Takin' it to the Hoop. I found one at a garage sale for $20 a couple years ago, played it for a while and sold it for a nice profit.

Finally found a copy of Final Fantasy VII, black label complete at the GW store. Also got Parappa the Rappa , black label complete. Both for $4.xx

[quote name='robwhois']nice pickup on the turbographix and getting bonks. A friend of mine had the system when we were growing up, and we played that game alot. Would love to find one, one of these days, especially at that price.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='wheels']nice score on the TG16, i had one back in middle school, i used to play the crap out of Takin' it to the Hoop. I found one at a garage sale for $20 a couple years ago, played it for a while and sold it for a nice profit.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure it works, I turn it on and get either a white, blue or green screen. I don't know if it's the game or the console, and I realized I know absolutely nothing about these things.

[quote name='Survivalism']I'm not sure it works, I turn it on and get either a white, blue or green screen. I don't know if it's the game or the console, and I realized I know absolutely nothing about these things.[/QUOTE]

On my Turbografx, it's a blue (I think) screen if it doesn't read the game right. My best guess is that yours work, but the game doesn't. Try to give the contacts a cleaning.

[quote name='elessar123']On my Turbografx, it's a blue (I think) screen if it doesn't read the game right. My best guess is that yours work, but the game doesn't. Try to give the contacts a cleaning.[/QUOTE]

I don't have any alcohol, is there anything else I can use? I read to use an eraser but that didn't seem to help. Could I spray some duster into the cartridge slot?

Fortunately, I'm (finally) employed again so I can pick up some other games for it soon, and hopefully get it running.

My Goodwill and Salvation Army rarely have anything good. Today was slightly ok but didn't bother buying anything. They had a few Xbox and PS2 games(mostly sports), a PS1, and a PSP($19.99) but it was a fixer(need to buy new housing). Still hoping to find some gems but nothing yet :|

Went to the ghetto Thrift Store today and had some decent finds for PS1, all complete in case with mint disc

South Park $2.95
Mortal Kombat 4 Greatest Hits $2.95
Crash Bandicoot Warped $2.95
Small Soldiers $0.95
WWF Smackdown! $0.95

South Park is absolute crap, but the PS1 version is somewhat of a minor rarity. Crash Bandicoot Warped is a duplicate, but my current copy is Greatest Hits, so I'm going to keep this one and flip the GH version on Amazon. The others were just more crap for the collection. I am surprised to see however that a complete Mortal Kombat 4 is a $20 game on Amazon. It certainly doesn't hold up as well as the previous entries in the series, but I guess it hasn't had an endless number of rereleases either.

Holy mamma jamma. I went to my local Goodwill today and darted right to the video game section to find the usual NBA Live 2005 and Barbie's Princess School or whatever. I wasn't disappointed because it's not usually all that exciting.

Anyways, I'm browsing the rest of the store when I notice the ultimate motherlode of PS2 games in an unusual area. They were on an endcap next to the dishes and kitchenware.

I see probably 35-40 games. I look through them and was shocked that they were all complete and in excellent condition and not a sports game in sight! Some of the games included:

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1 & 2
Castlevania Curse of the Darkness
Champions of Norrath & Champions of Norrath: A Return to Arms
Dual Hearts
Final Fantasy X-2
Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3
Resident Evil Code Veronica X
Shadow of the Colossus
Siren

Such a great find!

I found a sealed copy Legacy of the Ancients for the Commodore 64 for $5, I looked on eBay and one copy sold for $33 (Used) so, maybe it was a good deal. (Around the donation drop off center they had some boxed PS2 slim and some other game stuff, I was going to grab the box and take off but they had camera's around the area.)

DSC01413.jpg
[/IMG]

[quote name='BargainGamer']I found a sealed copy Legacy of the Ancients for the Commodore 64 for $5, I looked on eBay and one copy sold for $33 (Used) so, maybe it was a good deal. (Around the donation drop off center they had some boxed PS2 slim and some other game stuff, I was going to grab the box and take off but they had camera's around the area.)

DSC01413.jpg
[/IMG][/QUOTE]

You considered stealing from charity? WTF is wrong with you? Do you see Salvation Army tins during the holidays and try to take those too?

[quote name='elessar123']You considered stealing from charity? WTF is wrong with you? Do you see Salvation Army tins during the holidays and try to take those too?[/QUOTE]

No, because they have those annoying one-way buckets. Plus there's always the guy with the bell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back