Thrift Store Thread 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found the first thing in a long while at goodwill - longbox complete copy of Assault Rigs for $4. It was a longbox I didn't have and it was in pretty good shape. Getting closer to a complete longbox set.

For those in the Southern California who may be looking for a Sega Saturn, there is one for $19 bucks with one controller and its a model 1 at the Goodwill in the city of Glendora. I was there last night right before closing and they had just put it out. I woulda picked it up but I already have 4 of em. Dont need any more lol.

Nice pickup today:

Value Village:
Mega Man 4 - $5
Mega Man 5 - $5
Zelda II - $5
Boxed Genesis Cleaning Kit - $3

Goodwill:
Playstation 2 - $10 (my old one died long ago)
Soul Blade Greatest Hits - $5
Bushido Blade - $5

Not the greatest on the Playstation games, but I had a $15 store credit. Besides, Mega Man fucking 5. :)

First 2 times buying from a thrift shop I did not see many good videogame items goodwill official snes pad mint $1.99 salvation army tazmania genesis complete $0.99 what is the best time to check? should I go every day?

[quote name='CGH']First 2 times buying from a thrift shop I did not see many good videogame items goodwill official snes pad mint $1.99 salvation army tazmania genesis complete $0.99 what is the best time to check? should I go every day?[/QUOTE]
It's really completely random. If there's a good haul of stuff one day, I try to check later that day or the day after too, as there may be more set to be put out. Find a cord, wait for the console, find a console wait for the games, etc.

If you're lucky and you have access to multiple thrift stores, go to several a day. I know from where I live, if I take any number of routes via the highway (a few blocks away from home), I can get to at least 15-20 within 30 minutes or less. If you know of some that tend to be better than others in regards to stuff, visit a few times a week. Weekends are a bit too busy, they usually have the best deals then but you're often fighting with other people for deals. I usually visit in the week during the morning before work and it's so much easier.

I've been pretty disappointed by my stores in the area so I tend only to stop if its on the way to or from somewhere I have to go anyways.

Gas is just too expensive to make runs around milwaukee - especially with how spread out the area is.

Nothing today, other than this

sGCcV.jpg

waflule iran. Which is also furniture.

I'm so jealous of everyone finding such great deals. I live in FL and there are only 2 Goodwill stores fairly close to me and they rarely have games. The last time I went, they only had a few and they were in a glass case at the register. They had a gross, beat up copy of Nintendogs DS for $17.99 and an okay (but opened/visibly used) Michael Jackson Wii game for $24.99! I was in shock.

Found Final Fantasy VII, disc only, black label and Tron: 20th Anniversary Collector's edition for $6.xx. All disc are in very good conditions.

Picked up a XBOX original large luke(??) controller for $0.84. It's in great shape and the joysticks are tight and nice at a Salvation Army store.

[quote name='CAG90210']
Picked up a XBOX original large luke(??) controller for $0.84. It's in great shape and the joysticks are tight and nice at a Salvation Army store.[/QUOTE]

Yes, those Dukes are my favorite Xbox controller, way better than the controller S. They actually are becoming kind of rare now. I buy usually buy them if they are in good shape, but I've seen a lot lately that have split wires and look like junk.

[quote name='Survivalism']Nothing today, other than this

sGCcV.jpg

waflule iran. Which is also furniture.[/QUOTE]
:shock:Wow. I thought MY handwriting was bad. But damn. Moreover, how the fuck can someone NOT know how to spell WAFFLE IRON.:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:shock:Wow. I thought MY handwriting was bad. But damn. Moreover, how the fuck can someone NOT know how to spell WAFFLE IRON.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Maybe it was a disabled person?
Not everyone is blessed......

Nice, don't care much for that line of sets but they usually price Legos at crazy prices (sometimes)

As for me, I found two games and a CD:
Silent Hill (PS1)
Tomb Raider 2 (PS1)
Star Trek soundtrack (newest one)

I can't remember if SH is worth much or not. I'll have to check. It might make good trade fodder otherwise.

From the "weird video game accessories" file, at the Goodwill near work today mixed in with some shit VHS tapes I found a boxes Pro Action Replay for Super Nintendo. Picked it up for a dollar, figured I'd throw it in with the collection or maybe flip it on eBay. Anyone know if it has any value? My understanding is that this thing is a Game Genie of sorts for the Euro market? There haven't been any of late on eBay so I have no clue.

Goodwill near home didn't have much today, but I did pick up Grim Fandango for the PC which is a decent flip on Amazon. They also appeared to have gotten a lage delivery of closeouts from Target including literally 3 dozen brand new copies of Call of Duty World at War Final Front for PS2 priced at $3 each. I picked one up for shits and giggles, it can't possibly be that bad, right?

Looked a bit more. It apparently bypasses region-lockouts so you can play PAL games on NTSC and vice versa. Thats pretty cool. Do you know if it is a PAR 1, 2, or 3?

Donkey Kong 64- $4

Saw Mario Tennis for Virtual Boy but sadly there was no VB in site. I use "sadly" very loosly depending on how much they wouldve price a VB.

[quote name='blindinglights']Mario Tennis is probably the best game on Virtual Boy, although I do like Wario Land too.[/QUOTE]

Guess I'll have to trade my Jack Bros. game for Mario Tennis.

I think i'm gonna stop wasting my time with goodwill.

Never anything worthwhile here, i'm sure they ship them off or employees buy up anything good.

Just scored my greatest thrift store gaming find today~! Don't give up, try other places, eventually it will pay off!

dsc00421on.jpg
Monopoly NASCAR Collector's Edition
Scooby-Doo Clue

dsc00422hw.jpg
Banjo-Kazooie (Sealed)
Megaman X4
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
A Boy & His Blob

There were other Genesis/PS1 games so I may have to go back this weekend.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Dammit. Thanks for making me feel bad for being a smartass.:cry::whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

I'm about 94% sure no disabled person works there. So by all means.

So I went to my thrift store, The Ohio Thrift Store, and found some great stuff.
First I bought The Facebreaker Demo disc for 1.50....Should have shown the NOT FOR RESALE.. but ehh.
Then The age of Mythology disc 2 Collectors edition, the Origional Soundtrack, and The Making of Cd....1.50 each....Did I do good? I ask since there is a lot of missing stuff.
Then The Music of Command and Conquer: Red alert for 1.50......Is this rare? I remamber hearing about it.....

Then the best find of all

The Mad Catz Nintendo 64 Driving Wheel with Foot pedals IN BOX(A shitty box but a box) for 5.22.:D:D

Did I do well?

:whee:

Find the America Mcgees Alice/Clive Barker double pack for $3 at goodwill today, which is awesome since I've really badly wanted Alice. Also saw a pile of PS2 games for $3 apiece but most were incomplete.

Also, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker :Q___ Nice find Rusty.

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']So I went to my thrift store, The Ohio Thrift Store, and found some great stuff.
First I bought The Facebreaker Demo disc for 1.50....Should have shown the NOT FOR RESALE.. but ehh.
Then The age of Mythology disc 2 Collectors edition, the Origional Soundtrack, and The Making of Cd....1.50 each....Did I do good? I ask since there is a lot of missing stuff.
Then The Music of Command and Conquer: Red alert for 1.50......Is this rare? I remamber hearing about it.....

Then the best find of all

The Mad Catz Nintendo 64 Driving Wheel with Foot pedals IN BOX(A shitty box but a box) for 5.22.:D:D

Did I do well?

:whee:[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, no, I don't think so. If this is stuff for your personal collection, I guess, but if you're asking that from a value standpoint, no. You'd actually lose money on the secondary market. Facebreaker is a pretty terrible game, so I can't imagine there is any market for the demo. I made the mistake of buying a few different Command and Conquer soundtracks in the past only to find out they weren't worth much. They're good soundtracks - they just aren't worth much. The entire Age of Mythology Collector's Edition is only worth ~$3.00 used on Amazon - PC games are a weird market. The vast majority of them are worthless and some really peculiar titles are valuable (Nascar 2003 for example, which would be worthless on any other platform).

Racing wheels for any platform, regardless of condition are more than likely worthless. They were just produced in massive quantities by so many different companies that they just aren't worth anything. That is a general statement, though, as deluxe racing wheels probably still have value - and ones for obscure platforms. In any case - I avoid racing wheels like the plague because they're difficult to ship and mostly worthless.

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']So I went to my thrift store, The Ohio Thrift Store, and found some great stuff.

Did I do well?

[quote name='Doomstink']Unfortunately, no, I don't think so. If this is stuff for your personal collection, I guess, but if you're asking that from a value standpoint, no. You'd actually lose money on the secondary market. Facebreaker is a pretty terrible game, so I can't imagine there is any market for the demo. I made the mistake of buying a few different Command and Conquer soundtracks in the past only to find out they weren't worth much. They're good soundtracks - they just aren't worth much. The entire Age of Mythology Collector's Edition is only worth ~$3.00 used on Amazon - PC games are a weird market. The vast majority of them are worthless and some really peculiar titles are valuable (Nascar 2003 for example, which would be worthless on any other platform).

Racing wheels for any platform, regardless of condition are more than likely worthless. They were just produced in massive quantities by so many different companies that they just aren't worth anything. That is a general statement, though, as deluxe racing wheels probably still have value - and ones for obscure platforms. In any case - I avoid racing wheels like the plague because they're difficult to ship and mostly worthless.[/QUOTE]

If it is the one I posted in the yard sale thread it is worth money (the Best Buy exclusive CD set)

If it is this one, not so much.

Ok so how about these buys at $Buybacks$

Halo 3 Essentials- $4.99 (360)
Sega Sports Prime Time- 1.99 (Genesis, In Box with inserts)
NBA Live 07-1.99 (360)
MLB 2K5 World series 05 Editon-Free (Xbox, Sealed)

The Place had a buy 2 get 1 free....
So what do you think?
Still wish I had the Master Chief Helmet.....sigh

:whee:

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']Ok so how about these buys at $Buybacks$

NBA Live 07-1.99 (360)

So what do you think?

As Doomstink said above, if these are for your personal collection, then the prices were fairly decent. But sports games are pretty worthless once the next year's title is out.

Plus if a store is having a B2G1F sale, I'd make sure I group together items of the same value and not to buy in groups of more than three, so as to get my money's worth.;)

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']Ok so how about these buys at $Buybacks$

NBA Live 07-1.99 (360)

So what do you think?

I wouldn't necessarily lump buybacks in with thrift stores. That place is a rip, if you knew just how badly they screw the people they buy from.

As far as a Master Chief helmet, the pawn shop I go to all the time has the LE edition, minus the game. He originally wanted $50 for it, but offered it to me for $20. I still haven't been able to convince myself to buy it.

Okay so interesting day again at the thrift stores. Found an unopened Lego set at one. They had some Gameboy games there too, like Harvest Moon and Battletoads but they wanted 5-6 bucks for them so I passed. That and you can only use cash at these ones (bleh). Other one I visited had a bunch of SNES games, quite a few common ones like Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country. I found DKC2 for cheap since that colored tag was half off but all the rest were at 6 bucks. Pass again.

I'm still amused at how they constantly lock up the sports games in the cases like they're all that valuable and then 'worthless' games like FF7 languish out in the open.

[quote name='tiggerkiddo']

I'm still amused at how they constantly lock up the sports games in the cases like they're all that valuable and then 'worthless' games like FF7 languish out in the open.[/QUOTE]

Mine do that too. I'll never understand it. They're usually more expensive, too. I once found Tactics Ogre thrown in with the cassettes and 8-tracks for $2 while they've had the same $5 copy of Quarterback Club 98 in the case for over a year.

Found the Alice/Clive Barkers Undying double pack at Goodwill for $3 Friday. It's all in awesome shape too. Looks like the cut the sticker open to look at it then never actually played either of the games :V

Found a big pile of PS2 games too, but nothing great and most incomplete. This is good news though, it means they probably hired a new truck driver. Two of theirs quit recently, so the only pick-ups they've been doing were local, while the ritzy neighborhoods that throw everything out or give it to Goodwill weren't being collected from. Gives me reason to go more often again.

As an ironic contrast to my earlier post, went to some more thrift stores today (I go to them quite a bit) and found black label copies of FF8 and Chrono Cross in the case. This is actually the same kind of thrift (Arc Thrift) like the earlier one but I guess they're getting smart. Only got CC because FF8 was 8 bucks (!!) and even though I had no interest in flipping it and just replacing my GH copy with that one, I still thought it was a bit much. I'll maybe go back when that colored tag is on sale...

This one still has all the sports games lock inside for 5-7 bucks each.

[quote name='tiggerkiddo']As an ironic contrast to my earlier post, went to some more thrift stores today (I go to them quite a bit) and found black label copies of FF8 and Chrono Cross in the case. This is actually the same kind of thrift (Arc Thrift) like the earlier one but I guess they're getting smart. Only got CC because FF8 was 8 bucks (!!) and even though I had no interest in flipping it and just replacing my GH copy with that one, I still thought it was a bit much. I'll maybe go back when that colored tag is on sale...

This one still has all the sports games lock inside for 5-7 bucks each.[/QUOTE]

$8 is a little too close to what you'd clear from selling FF8 on ebay, but it is essentially a free upgrade if you're gung-ho about that sort of thing. Personally though I wouldn't want to pay more than $3 on that or Chrono Chross for the ol' flippety-do-dah.

I saw 4 or 5 CIB SNES sports game today at a local goodwill, for $2. I didn't pick any up since I assume they're worthless. The boxes are in very good conditions too. Makes me wonder if there were some boxed gems that I missed days before....

ShopGoodwill.com has an XBL Gold Starter Kit for :360: for $11 right now with minimum bid increments being $1, so you'd have to bid $12 to be the top bidder for it.

Unfortunately shipping(to me anyway) was like $12 as they're doing it through USPS Priority Mail. You could always ask if they'd consider sending it a cheaper rate.

Here's the link for it:

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8465855

I was actually considering making a ShopGoodwill thread, but I figured this falls under thrift stores, right?

EDIT: :shock: There's a 55" Sony Bravia TV(http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8464094 ) up for auction on ShopGoodwill right now as well with a manufacture date of July 2010.

The bid is only up to $304 right now, but that's likely due to the fact you'd have to live near the Santa Ana, CA Goodwill that's auctioning it since it's a 'pickup only' item.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']ShopGoodwill.com has an XBL Gold Starter Kit for :360: for $11 right now with minimum bid increments being $1, so you'd have to bid $12 to be the top bidder for it.

Unfortunately shipping(to me anyway) was like $12 as they're doing it through USPS Priority Mail. You could always ask if they'd consider sending it a cheaper rate.

Here's the link for it:

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8465855

I was actually considering making a ShopGoodwill thread, but I figured this falls under thrift stores, right?

EDIT: :shock: There's a 55" Sony Bravia TV(http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8464094 ) up for auction on ShopGoodwill right now as well with a manufacture date of July 2010.

The bid is only up to $304 right now, but that's likely due to the fact you'd have to live near the Santa Ana, CA Goodwill that's auctioning it since it's a 'pickup only' item.[/QUOTE]

Becareful if you bid on this:

"
Up for bid is a XBOX Live Gold Starter Kit, this item is new still in its box, but was not tested, it includes XBOX 360 Chat Pad, and Headset. The 400 Microsoft Points and 12 Month membership are NOT included."

[quote name='te619']Becareful if you bid on this:

"
Up for bid is a XBOX Live Gold Starter Kit, this item is new still in its box, but was not tested, it includes XBOX 360 Chat Pad, and Headset. The 400 Microsoft Points and 12 Month membership are NOT included."[/QUOTE]
:shock: How the hell did I miss that?

Anyway, there's another one that's ending on 9/5 or so that doesn't say that.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8490230

It's from the SAME STORE too, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back