Titan Quest $3.99 on Impulse

Hope steam has similar pricing soon. I've always wanted this game but never bought it. I don't feel like signing up for another service.

[quote name='handisnacks']Hope steam has similar pricing soon. I've always wanted this game but never bought it. I don't feel like signing up for another service.[/QUOTE]

Its probably better to get it over Steam anyhow, better user base for the online modes, etc. Honestly, Impulse seems kinda shady to me...can anyone vouch for the service?

BTW, Titan Quest and its expansion "Immortal Throne" are worthy of at least 5 playthroughs, beautiful game, albeit very linear, best Diablo II clone out there, and if I recall, there is a lot of competition for that title. The mods make the game epic as well, huge amounts of love go into them...the Lilith mod for example...epic.

I've bought a few things from Impulse. They aren't shady at all. I would rather buy it from Impulse because their client only runs when you download a product or if you choose to update. It doesn't run in the background like Steam.

Shady? It's run by Stardock, creators of GalCiv and other non-game Windows apps. It works at least as well as Steam without the need to run a client while playing the games you've purchased. You only need to run the client to download the stuff and any updates/patches that are released.

Yeah, Impulse definitely isn't shady. I don't know if I'd recommend the deal though. While Titan Quest is a good game, it's a bit silly to buy it without the expansion. And with the discount, after buying Immortal Throne, the pack is only $1 cheaper than getting the gold edition. I guess this is alright if you want an extended demo or don't have an obsessive compulsive itch that would irritate you to have the game but not the expansion.

As a comparison, it's similar to buying Diablo 2 without the expansion. You'll miss the tweaks and improvements it makes to the base game.

[quote name='Roninalchemist']Its probably better to get it over Steam anyhow, better user base for the online modes, etc. Honestly, Impulse seems kinda shady to me...can anyone vouch for the service?

BTW, Titan Quest and its expansion "Immortal Throne" are worthy of at least 5 playthroughs, beautiful game, albeit very linear, best Diablo II clone out there, and if I recall, there is a lot of competition for that title. The mods make the game epic as well, huge amounts of love go into them...the Lilith mod for example...epic.[/QUOTE]

Impulse beats the shit out of steam, hands down.

No DRM, you can install it anywhere, play it off line

Steam is DRM, impluse you can take the files and install it anywhere.

i got tq thru impulse the last time it was onsale. it was cool that a single copy could do multiplayer lan co-op

dude that is a great deal. i got titan quest and expansion for 15 altogether and it is quite a few hours of gameplay.

[quote name='friedram']Impulse beats the shit out of steam, hands down.

Steam is DRM, impluse you can take the files and install it anywhere.[/QUOTE]

One service offers a million more games and has way better sales... But I guess if making unlimited copies of a game and giving them to people who aren't you is important to you, than Impulse would probably be a lot better.

The NO DRM comment is not true some games on impulse do have DRM (such as securom) Age of Booty for example. The stardock games do not however.

where did you see titan quest and expansion for 15? On impulse expansion is 15 and titan quest is 4. Different site?

WOAH, WTF is going on? Has anyone here played the Steam version? It's broke as all hell. Most people can't play online, and since Iron Lore studios is out of the picture, there's no patch coming. There is a fan patch, but that only complicates things.

I can personally vouch for Impulse. It seems like every thread involving these guys, someone asks the same questions. Here are the answers:
1. Yes they're reliable
2. It's better than Steam in almost every way, (DL speeds, community support, chat systems, customizeable, and light on the proceessor to boot).
3. Yes you have to DL in order to play the games, it's just like Steam, but again, better.

Unfortuneately, the Immortal Throne expansion is $15 and it really makes the game.

I actually prefer having Steam run in the background to be honest. I enjoy always being connected to the community and being able to shift+tab into the app and/or chat with friends while playing full screen, etc. There's quite a few more benefits to Steam, imo.

[quote name='carpwrist']WOAH, WTF is going on? Has anyone here played the Steam version? It's broke as all hell. Most people can't play online, and since Iron Lore studios is out of the picture, there's no patch coming. There is a fan patch, but that only complicates things.

I can personally vouch for Impulse. It seems like every thread involving these guys, someone asks the same questions. Here are the answers:
1. Yes they're reliable
2. It's better than Steam in almost every way, (DL speeds, community support, chat systems, customizeable, and light on the proceessor to boot).
3. Yes you have to DL in order to play the games, it's just like Steam, but again, better.

Unfortuneately, the Immortal Throne expansion is $15 and it really makes the game.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I can't honestly say anything about Impulse as I've never used them, however I do want to comment how rediculous it is that every time a non-steam sale goes live how involved the pro-Steam, anti-Steam debate gets and how little discussion of the game on sale there actually is.

Anyway, I got TQ:Gold from Steam forever ago when it was $10. I don't know about the broken on-line play but the single-player worked fine and it is a really great game. I only played through to the ending of the original game but it was a great experience. I know the expansion streamlined a lot of problems with the game and it would probably be worth it if you could find both cheap, but at this price, there is nothing to consider if you don't own it already.

Yeah i'm going to wait 'til steam adjusts their price, if they do.
151l1259.jpg

Both are pretty solid services IMO. Both are ten times better than what is available on consoles, especially 360.

[quote name='Roninalchemist']Its probably better to get it over Steam anyhow, better user base for the online modes, etc. Honestly, Impulse seems kinda shady to me...can anyone vouch for the service?

BTW, Titan Quest and its expansion "Immortal Throne" are worthy of at least 5 playthroughs, beautiful game, albeit very linear, best Diablo II clone out there, and if I recall, there is a lot of competition for that title. The mods make the game epic as well, huge amounts of love go into them...the Lilith mod for example...epic.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played using mods, but I agree that this game is totally terrific. I do wish the expansion was also on sale; it makes TQ 20x better (and TQ was already awesome to begin with :D). Even so, TQ is a steal at this price. Thanks, OP!

[quote name='handisnacks']I actually prefer having Steam run in the background to be honest. I enjoy always being connected to the community and being able to shift+tab into the app and/or chat with friends while playing full screen, etc. There's quite a few more benefits to Steam, imo.[/QUOTE]
This shouldn't be an issue. The cool thing about Impulse games is once they're downloaded, they're not tied to the service at all. So you can boot up Steam, link them into the service (go to Games->Add Non-Steam Game) and you'll get all the Steam community features as if you'd bought the game on Steam.

Another advantage is due to Steams weird management of game files, it can sometimes be cumbersome or impossible to add mods. It's trivial with Impulse games. I use Steam for the community and Impulse for downloads when possible.

[quote name='eastx']Are you suggesting that the Playstation 3 or Wii has a better Diablo-style action RPG than the Xbox 360? Because unless you have such a game in mind, I would venture that you're just sticking in a little silly trolling. It's especially silly because the 360 has the largest software library by far. But if I am missing some cool Diablo clones on PS3 or Wii, I sure want to hear about them. (BTW Sacred 2 is available on both 360 and PS3.)[/QUOTE]

?! The two services he's talking about are Steam and Impulse, not PS3 and Wii:lol:

[quote name='eastx']Are you suggesting that the Playstation 3 or Wii has a better Diablo-style action RPG than the Xbox 360? Because unless you have such a game in mind, I would venture that you're just sticking in a little silly trolling. It's especially silly because the 360 has the largest software library by far. But if I am missing some cool Diablo clones on PS3 or Wii, I sure want to hear about them. (BTW Sacred 2 is available on both 360 and PS3.)[/QUOTE]
Nice reading comprehension.

[quote name='eastx']One service offers a million more games and has way better sales... But I guess if making unlimited copies of a game and giving them to people who aren't you is important to you, than Impulse would probably be a lot better.[/QUOTE]

Impulse *IS* activation DRM, just like Steam. The difference is just that Impulse you activate once and don't need the client again unless you activate again, while Steam you always need the client even if you've activated.

Stardock's retail games don't have DRM, but their download service definitely does. But not shady.

[quote name='Roninalchemist']Honestly, Impulse seems kinda shady to me...[/QUOTE]

Why would you assume it's shady when you haven't even bothered to try using it, and it seems like that you haven't heard any stories from anyone who's used it?

I haven't actually bought anything on Impulse but I do have a retail copy of Sins of a Solar Empire (awesome game btw), and it's sort of like Steam in that you activate Stardock games on the service, much like Valve games for Steam. HOWEVER, once your game is authorized you don't need to run Impulse in order to run your game; you can then run the .exe for the game directly. Way better than Steam in that regard, however the userbase is undoubtedly smaller than that of steam.

I do like Impulse, as well. A shame their user-base hasn't caught on as big as Steam has.

About TQ, I have retail box copies of both TQ + Immortal Throne -- never finished either of them, but yeah -- TQ's probably one of the best Diablo clones you can find.

I know Impulse has TQ, but did Impulse ever pick-up TQ: Immortal Throne?

[quote name='kahnpsu']where did you see titan quest and expansion for 15? On impulse expansion is 15 and titan quest is 4. Different site?[/QUOTE]

I got quest and expansion for 9.99 from gamersgate last week.

just bought it on Steam 2 days ago for $20. I personally don't like Impulse though, and the steam version came with the expansion pack for free.

bread's done
Back