Tomb Raider Preorder Exclusives Comparison Thread

smackinisaiah

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Sup CAGs!
This is my first attempt at a decent thread on here so any constructive criticism or advice is much appreciated and welcomed! I've saved a LOT of money on games in the past few months and the least I could do is contribute.

I'm currently in the market for Tomb Raider, and after comparing exclusives from some of the reputable retailers, I compiled a list of features for everyone to enjoy. I am aware that this is already a little dated, since Tomb Raider comes out next week, but it's my first attempt at this, and there's still some people on the fence about the game.

Also, this is my first of, hopefully, many posts like this. If anyone would like to give me a hand in compiling one solid, wikified thread that has preorder comparisons for all the upcoming games, please PM me and we can get something working.

3/5/13
TOMB RAIDER (X360/PS3)

Amazon:
  • Tomb Raider: Final Hours Edition $59.99 + FSS/Prime
    • Hunter Skin: An exclusive outfit that camouflages Lara in a heavy coating of mud, action movie-style.
    • The Final Hours of Tomb Raider 'Director's Cut' eBook for Kindle
    • The Art of Tomb Raider 'Amazon Edition' Art Book (Hardcover // 32 pages)
    • Tomb Raider Scavenger Hunt access code to unlock DLC items and chances to win prizes (mobile 'geocaching-esque' app, I believe? please correct me on this)
    • Shanty Town Multiplayer Map

• Receive $5 Amazon credit off the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com (exclusions apply).
  • Exclusive codes e-mailed within 2 days of shipment. (including $5 Amazon credit)
  • Art book packaged and shipped with product.
  • Amazon will price match game to lowest cost on Amazon.com during time between preorder and the end of the day on release date.
Best Buy:
  • Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS/Pickup
    • Tomb Raider game
    • Aviatrix Skin: Dress Lara as a classic 1930s adventurer, bomber jacket and all.
    • Tomb Raider: The Beginnings Comic Book: Written by Rhianna Pratchett with cover art by Tomb Raider Art Director Brian Horton. The Beginnings is a 48-page, six-part comic book that explains how the Endurance's ill-fated voyage came to be. This special edition comic book brings together the cast and crew, including a budding young adventurer named Lara Croft, as they search for the Yamatai off Japan's East Coast. (Packages with the game.)
    • Shanty Town Multiplayer Map (thanks DeskLaser)

• $20 Reward Zone Certificate if you are a Gamer’s Club [Unlocked] member (received 30 days from date of purchase)
  • 2X Reward Zone points for new video game purchases
  • 15% off a Limited Edition guide ($32.30 + tax after discount)
    • Guide includes an exclusive 1.5" metal amulet with rope from the game, two special in-game digital downloads and a collectible hardcover strategy guide with a deluxe finish.
  • Tomb Raider Survival XBOX 360 controller ($39.99 when purchased with game)
Walmart:
  • Tomb Raider $59.96 + FS/Pickup
    • Guardian of Light download (1200 MSP / $15 value)
    • Guerrilla skin: This exclusive outfit makes Lara look like a jungle warfare guerrilla
    • Tomb Raider Scavenger Hunt code

• $4.99 VUDU Movie Credits (e-mailed)
GameStop:
  • Tomb Raider $59.96 + FS/Pickup
    • Exclusive Lost Adventurer Challenge Tomb. An exclusive tomb for Lara to raid! In this new location, Lara will encounter all new environment puzzles that will test her abilities.

• 10 points per dollar spent for PowerUp Rewards members
  • Tomb Raider Survival XBOX 360 controller $59.99
Target:
  • Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS/Pickup
    • Exclusive Target steelbook (preorder NOT required)
  • $5 Target GC after purchase

Amazon/Best Buy/Walmart/GameStop:

• Tomb Raider: Collector's Edition $99.99 + FS
    • Includes any store-specific exclusives (including Amazon)
    • Play Arts Kai Lara Croft Figurine: Fully posable figurine with over 40 points of articulation. The dirt on her body and clothes have been realistically recreated to tell the tale of Lara's fierce fight for survival on a desolate island in her first and most harrowing adventure. Comes with alternate set of 3 hands, bow and arrow, shotgun, handgun, and climbing axe. Figure Size: Approx 8.0" Tall
    • Endurance Survival Kit Packaging: Worn and weather-beaten steel tin (not a steel book) recovered from the Endurance shipwreck, and a 15" x 19" Double Sided Island Map and Poster. Discover Key Landmarks from the mysterious island of Yamati, where Lara Croft and her fellow castaways were marooned after the Endurance shipwreck. On the reverse is a poster size image of the box art that epitomizes Lara's origin story.
    • 5" x 7" heavy stock lithograph print with matte frame, designed by Crystal Dynamic's Senior Art Director, Brian Horton, painting by Brenoch Adams.
    • 3 Iron-on badges of the game's key icons (Animal Instincts, Climbing Axe, Fire Arrow)
    • Tomb Raider Original Soundtrack 'Survivalist cut'. A collection of 10 tracks totaling over 60 minutes of music from the game
    • Weapons Pack DLC
Microsoft Store:

• Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS
    • 1600 points card free with preorder from microsoftstore.com ($20 value)
      • Coupon code will be sent to email address associated with purchase within 10 days of game being shipped.
Again, if anyone has any comments, suggestions, or anything please let me know. Hope you CAGs find this useful!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MR_E']The soundtrack thing is sort of confusing. The 10-track soundtrack with the collector's edition says it's over 60 minutes long. Yet the 20-track commercial soundtrack is apparently only 1 disc. So unless the other 10 songs are like 1 1/2 minutes long each, I'm wondering if the two different soundtracks contain different mixes/edits...or if some of the tracks on the CE soundtrack disc are longer tracks that aren't on the commercial soundtrack. Has anyone seen a tracklisting for the CE survivalist soundtrack yet?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that is weird. I suspect the "60 minute" claim is wrong. I bet that was referring to the "full" soundtrack. Whoever wrote the copy either couldn't fathom that they would actually be so cheap as to cut the CD in half for a $100 CE or something changed at some point.

According to this site: http://www.tombraiderhq.com/article.php?id=92 the CE CD is 37 minutes long and the full CD is 74 minutes long, which makes more sense.

[quote name='BrandonJF']If that steelbook had been G2 sized, I would've been in trouble. Target made it easy for me, though. I was originally going to go with Amazon and get the CE, but I realized I wouldn't normally buy that figure on it's own even if it were $30. I am tempted, though. It IS excellent and one of the rare times that a CE pack-in is actually worth more than the total price of the CE. I will still be shocked if these CEs don't end up being heavily discounted one day and people really get that figure for a steal (it will be sad if the figure + CE end up being cheaper than the figure on it's own).

I decided to make my own CE and use the money saved from not getting the CE to order the full art book (in place of Amazon's hardcover pamphlet) and the full CD (it's ridiculous that the CE includes half of the soundtrack). I'm getting the game from Best Buy since the comic has yet to be announced to be available elsewhere. I have a feeling it's going to be a digital series and this may be the only place to get it in print for some time.[/QUOTE]
If you like figures you will love it in hand and want to get more by play arts but these play arts value never really goes down just mostly up. I do customs in the past but rarely do you want to touch these up there top quality.

[quote name='MR_E']The soundtrack thing is sort of confusing. The 10-track soundtrack with the collector's edition says it's over 60 minutes long. Yet the 20-track commercial soundtrack is apparently only 1 disc. So unless the other 10 songs are like 1 1/2 minutes long each, I'm wondering if the two different soundtracks contain different mixes/edits...or if some of the tracks on the CE soundtrack disc are longer tracks that aren't on the commercial soundtrack. Has anyone seen a tracklisting for the CE survivalist soundtrack yet?[/QUOTE]
I believe major nelson video said it will be digital now so why they got book now. From what i understood anyways? diital sucks for these imo.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']The lighting and some of the textures looked a little crisper on PS3, but I'd call it a reach to claim that there's some huge difference.[/QUOTE]
I said big enough and get a better set of glasses or buy a hd monitor. To many people use non hd for viewing or small 19-22 inch hd to view these. The bigger and better hd you got the bigger difference you will see.. also the video max was 720 so it was not a top hd quality video. This shocks me how many people have no clue about this stuff then they bash comments cause they do not know better. The trolls can buy whatever i was just trying to help the non trolls out with a video i found that helped ME out.

:applause:

[quote name='Gorehound']Yeah, the Best Buy CE does include the comic and all the rest of the BB exclusives.

I saw the packaging for both versions and both regular and CE has the same exclusives.

The comic looks pretty thick.[/QUOTE]

Youve seen the packaging for the Standard Best Buy edition with comic? does it come with a slip cover? Would you be able to elaborate more on this?

[quote name='GeorgeCostanza']The big difference i see is amazon has the art book included and best buy has a comic included, right?[/QUOTE]

Yea. I still need to know if amazons book will come housed in a slip cover with the game, like Best Buys does. I can't decide which i want.

I'll stick with my 360 copy. I'm sure a game install would remedy some of those performance issues. I kept hearing that Far Cry 3 was a little chuggy on consoles but I hardly ran into any slowdown but I had the game installed so who knows.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']I said big enough and get a better set of glasses or buy a hd monitor. To many people use non hd for viewing or small 19-22 inch hd to view these. The bigger and better hd you got the bigger difference you will see.. also the video max was 720 so it was not a top hd quality video. This shocks me how many people have no clue about this stuff then they bash comments cause they do not know better. The trolls can buy whatever i was just trying to help the non trolls out with a video i found that helped ME out.

:applause:[/QUOTE]

Uhm... Let me school you a little in game development. Rarely ANY game is in 1080p on console, ergo this is close to the truest quality. However, there is also another chance this game isn't even at true 720 HD. It could be smaller than that, resolution wise, and upscaled.

Now with that said, if you really want to fight about the graphics some more. Buy a PC that can handle this on Ultra and play it there. Cause honestly, there really isn't a big difference. (Watched the video on my 40" Led 1080 120hz with my computer resolution also set to 1080p. The video window was also set to the max of 720.)

[quote name='DanteWarrior']Cancelled my Amazon preorder after watching the unboxing videos. That figure looks very underwhelming![/QUOTE]

Ditto. what a disappointment. These CEs are such a ripoff. The lithograph was a joke too.

Feels like this will be like ff13-2 wherein there will be tons of them on shelves for months and months. Still deciding if i ahould preorder at bestbuy just to get the $20 coupon

[quote name='CAGkrazy']Feels like this will be like ff13-2 wherein there will be tons of them on shelves for months and months. Still deciding if i ahould preorder at bestbuy just to get the $20 coupon[/QUOTE]
it is highly unlikely to happen with the tomb raider collectors edition, maybe the first waves of release of the regular edition with the comic books, like with the novella editions

My plan:

Preorder from Amazon CE

Preorder from BB CE and regular Ed....but not pick up on day 1

Buy from Target the CE or RE and grab the Steelbook.

Then evaluate which store version I want to keep.

Overall I hope to get the CE from Target because I want to use the 5% off redcard and 60 day return policy.

GnarkillZA on Neogaf posted a pic of his CE, figure has a jacked up head....

1867e1db-8666-49d4-a0dc-7454f93c90d5.jpg

Edit: guess this already posted, only looked a few pages back... I'm personally going for the BB $20 RZ deal.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']They are saying the 360 is good do not worry it just more watered down but great gameplay. All my friends pissed i went ps3... My 109 bones for my ce. But single player is where i will be at.

I want that steel case shocked ce did not get one but the figure i rather own this time.

I hope amazon seller puts one up i am anti paypal... :( I so want it now to.
000889.jpg
[/QUOTE]

This pic is different than the one in the OP of the Target thread. Which case is this one?

[quote name='groundskeeper']Well I do not see the Guardian of Light download on Walmarts site. I tried to see if others posted about this but did not see anything, that bonus expired?[/QUOTE]

If it's anything like their previous ones, it's just a paper slip in the specially marked game case. Although to get the MP map and Scavenger Hunt code you'll probably have to preorder from the website.

If all you want is the GoL code, you should be able to get it from Walmart stores.

[quote name='MSUHitman']This pic is different than the one in the OP of the Target thread. Which case is this one?[/QUOTE]
I found on google images i thought it was the one. I want this one..

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']They are saying the 360 is good do not worry it just more watered down but great gameplay. All my friends pissed i went ps3... My 109 bones for my ce. But single player is where i will be at.

I want that steel case shocked ce did not get one but the figure i rather own this time.

I hope amazon seller puts one up i am anti paypal... :( I so want it now to.
000889.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Very impressive and tempting. I didn't want to go near anything like this but i want that

hmmm when i put in 999 in my amazon cart for tomb raiders collectors it says 540 for xbox and 154 for ps3

i'm not sure how their preorder inventory works if that is accurate or not

If I pre-order from Amazon do I also get the Steam pre-order bonuses (GoL, Tomb of the Lost Adventurer, Shanty Town) or do you only get those if you pre-order directly through Steam?

Kind of an important detail I wish more sites shared about the stuff in the CE: the weapons pack DLC is for hitman absolution not Tomb Raider. So pretty much it's 40 dollars extra for a tin, the patches and an action figure(of 8 dollar quality). Buying the CE now at that price is not very CheapAssGamer-ey. Oh yeah you get a tiny lithograph too and half the soundtrack.

Wait, are you serious? The DLC is for another game? Where is this even stated in the product description? Disgusting if true.

[quote name='RenoVatio']Kind of an important detail I wish more sites shared about the stuff in the CE: the weapons pack DLC is for hitman absolution not Tomb Raider. So pretty much it's 40 dollars extra for a tin, the patches and an action figure(of 8 dollar quality). Buying the CE now at that price is not very CheapAssGamer-ey. Oh yeah you get a tiny lithograph too and half the soundtrack.[/QUOTE]

Link? Every listing that I've seen clearly says it's for TR.

[quote name='chriscolbert']Link? Every listing that I've seen clearly says it's for TR.[/QUOTE]

I think the unboxing with major Nelson shows it to be hitman dlc.

It was my understanding that the DLC is Hitman themed DLC to use in Tomb Raider. Much like how Hitman Absolution had a Deus Ex DLC pack, Tomb Raider will have a Hitman DLC pack that includes 3 weapons from the Hitman games to use in Tomb Raider.

[quote name='WViking']It was my understanding that the DLC is Hitman themed DLC to use in Tomb Raider. Much like how Hitman Absolution had a Deus Ex DLC pack, Tomb Raider will have a Hitman DLC pack that includes 3 weapons from the Hitman games to use in Tomb Raider.[/QUOTE]

Just looked it up. It is Hitman themed weapons for use in Tomb Raider. The guns you get are: silverballer, agency sps, shotgun, and smg.

[quote name='RenoVatio']Kind of an important detail I wish more sites shared about the stuff in the CE: the weapons pack DLC is for hitman absolution not Tomb Raider. So pretty much it's 40 dollars extra for a tin, the patches and an action figure(of 8 dollar quality). Buying the CE now at that price is not very CheapAssGamer-ey. Oh yeah you get a tiny lithograph too and half the soundtrack.[/QUOTE]

That action figure is not "8 dollar quality". You may not care for it, but for people that are into action figures, it's not some cheap knock-off.

Your really far off point on the 8 dollar comment. The play arts figures, despite what you think their quality is based on some crap pictures, are base 50-60 dollar figures. Ive never seen one go below 40. let alone go below 60. Some reach over 100. Video game characters like Nathan Drake, Solid Snake, All rare and expensive, even more recent video game figures are going up in price nearly every day.

The action figure is the MAIN reason to spend the extra money, your getting a bargain for the figure. Anything else in the package should be considered free. so half a soundtrack is acceptable, since its free. People don't seem to understand this concept, Like a few GS employees I run into. Preferring the 6in god of war ascension statue... HA. now THERE is your 8 dollar quality.

The people who collect play arts will be after this set, its a variant figure only found in a collectors edition priced at 100 dollars. I will be surprised if we EVER see this below 70. (which I'm 97% sure we will not.)

[quote name='GodofGambler']Start taking screen shot people! I believe they are included. Artbook is separate packaging like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade artbook. As for codes, it should somewhere within artbook or email.[/QUOTE]

How does that work? Does taking a screenshot help? Anyone ever have success with amazon getting a bonus like this after sending them a screenshot?

I don't understand why they make this so complicated. Does the CE come with the bonus or not? I've gotten two different answers from amazon...

[quote name='MSUHitman']This pic is different than the one in the OP of the Target thread. Which case is this one?[/QUOTE]

this steelbook version was released in Germany in G1 and G2 i believe, i bought a G2 one off ebay for around $25 shipped, i like it much better than the Target G1 version

Already bought the game on GMG a while back and have it preloaded on steam and ready to go when it unlocks but I went to Best Buy today and preordered the CE for PS3. Going to sell the game copy and dlc codes, just want the physical stuff, mostly for the figure. Joined Gamer's Club Unlocked while I was at it for the $20 per game promo thing they are running.

Went to bestbuy and asked about tomb raider. Employee said all regular edition they got had the comicbook prepackaged. Preordered to get the $20 certificate promo. Had to renew my gamers club... All digital now. They already gave me the coupons for next week.

[quote name='STEVE05']How does that work? Does taking a screenshot help? Anyone ever have success with amazon getting a bonus like this after sending them a screenshot?

I don't understand why they make this so complicated. Does the CE come with the bonus or not? I've gotten two different answers from amazon...[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's that complicated. The product listing says it comes with the bonus. There is no reason to believe the listing isn't correct.

[quote name='BrandonJF']I don't think it's that complicated. The product listing says it comes with the bonus. There is no reason to believe the listing isn't correct.[/QUOTE]

I just think it's weird because it says the art booklet comes in the product packaging...and I doubt the Amazon CE's are any different than the CE's from other retailers. I would assume they would just throw the art book in the box along with the CE and ship it...but what do I know.

It's no big deal I guess. I ordered the 360 CE, will have to see what happens on Tuesday.

[quote name='STEVE05']I just think it's weird because it says the art booklet comes in the product packaging...and I doubt the Amazon CE's are any different than the CE's from other retailers. I would assume they would just throw the art book in the box along with the CE and ship it...but what do I know.

It's no big deal I guess. I ordered the 360 CE, will have to see what happens on Tuesday.[/QUOTE]

People have posted that the steelbook that came with the MoH pre-order came separately from the game but they came together , so that's what's going to happen here I think.

[quote name='STEVE05']I just think it's weird because it says the art booklet comes in the product packaging...and I doubt the Amazon CE's are any different than the CE's from other retailers. I would assume they would just throw the art book in the box along with the CE and ship it...but what do I know.

It's no big deal I guess. I ordered the 360 CE, will have to see what happens on Tuesday.[/QUOTE]

I've ordered a few games from Amazon that came with exclusive books. They typically just shrink wrap the game and the book together. The only time I've seen the exclusive actually be inside the game case/CE was Batman Arkham Asylum, which included an exclusive comic. That won't happen in this case since the book obviously won't fit inside a game case (although, it could fit in the CE).

I just got my email about the final hour edition bonuses so I'm assuming that we are actually receiving it and later on they will send out the other codes for the shanty town map.

It would of been cool getting a comic book but I like collecting art books.

[quote name='diazt350']People have posted that the steelbook that came with the MoH pre-order came separately from the game but they came together , so that's what's going to happen here I think.[/QUOTE]

the steelbooks came separately... they were attached but they were wrapped separately

[quote name='diazt350']I just got my email about the final hour edition bonuses so I'm assuming that we are actually receiving it and later on they will send out the other codes for the shanty town map.

It would of been cool getting a comic book but I like collecting art books.[/QUOTE]

i got the email too, and if you read their email it says: "The other bonuses (including the Shanty Town Multiplayer Map and Lara skin) will be included with your copy of the game."

so they won't be emailing shanty town map codes, they're inside the game

[quote name='GodofGambler']Start taking screen shot people! I believe they are included. Artbook is separate packaging like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade artbook. As for codes, it should somewhere within artbook or email.[/QUOTE]

depends how big the artbook is. The darksiders artbook was small enough they put it inside the xbox case

[quote name='IzzyF3']I think the unboxing with major Nelson shows it to be hitman dlc.[/QUOTE]

That's where i saw it.

[quote name='jrr6415sun']i got the email too, and if you read their email it says: "The other bonuses (including the Shanty Town Multiplayer Map and Lara skin) will be included with your copy of the game."

so they won't be emailing shanty town map codes, they're inside the game[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know what to do with that Scavenger Hunt code that Amazon just sent out in e-mails? I already have the access code that was sent to me upon pre-ordering the game, which let me play the Scavenger Hunt game, so I have no idea what this new code does.

[quote name='LoveDragonDon']Is the Gamestop tomb DLC worth $20?[/QUOTE]

No. At most it will cost $10 to buy seperately in a month or so (either by itself or packaged with other preorder exclusives.)

Anyone have luck preordering from bestbuy.com and getting the controller for 39.99?

edit: search 9999198900050003 on bestbuy.com to find bundle

[quote name='CAGkrazy']Went to bestbuy and asked about tomb raider. Employee said all regular edition they got had the comicbook prepackaged. Preordered to get the $20 certificate promo. Had to renew my gamers club... All digital now. They already gave me the coupons for next week.[/QUOTE]

Sweet i'll have to pop in there.

bread's done
Back