Tomb Raider Preorder Exclusives Comparison Thread

smackinisaiah

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Sup CAGs!
This is my first attempt at a decent thread on here so any constructive criticism or advice is much appreciated and welcomed! I've saved a LOT of money on games in the past few months and the least I could do is contribute.

I'm currently in the market for Tomb Raider, and after comparing exclusives from some of the reputable retailers, I compiled a list of features for everyone to enjoy. I am aware that this is already a little dated, since Tomb Raider comes out next week, but it's my first attempt at this, and there's still some people on the fence about the game.

Also, this is my first of, hopefully, many posts like this. If anyone would like to give me a hand in compiling one solid, wikified thread that has preorder comparisons for all the upcoming games, please PM me and we can get something working.

3/5/13
TOMB RAIDER (X360/PS3)

Amazon:
  • Tomb Raider: Final Hours Edition $59.99 + FSS/Prime
    • Hunter Skin: An exclusive outfit that camouflages Lara in a heavy coating of mud, action movie-style.
    • The Final Hours of Tomb Raider 'Director's Cut' eBook for Kindle
    • The Art of Tomb Raider 'Amazon Edition' Art Book (Hardcover // 32 pages)
    • Tomb Raider Scavenger Hunt access code to unlock DLC items and chances to win prizes (mobile 'geocaching-esque' app, I believe? please correct me on this)
    • Shanty Town Multiplayer Map

• Receive $5 Amazon credit off the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com (exclusions apply).
  • Exclusive codes e-mailed within 2 days of shipment. (including $5 Amazon credit)
  • Art book packaged and shipped with product.
  • Amazon will price match game to lowest cost on Amazon.com during time between preorder and the end of the day on release date.
Best Buy:
  • Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS/Pickup
    • Tomb Raider game
    • Aviatrix Skin: Dress Lara as a classic 1930s adventurer, bomber jacket and all.
    • Tomb Raider: The Beginnings Comic Book: Written by Rhianna Pratchett with cover art by Tomb Raider Art Director Brian Horton. The Beginnings is a 48-page, six-part comic book that explains how the Endurance's ill-fated voyage came to be. This special edition comic book brings together the cast and crew, including a budding young adventurer named Lara Croft, as they search for the Yamatai off Japan's East Coast. (Packages with the game.)
    • Shanty Town Multiplayer Map (thanks DeskLaser)

• $20 Reward Zone Certificate if you are a Gamer’s Club [Unlocked] member (received 30 days from date of purchase)
  • 2X Reward Zone points for new video game purchases
  • 15% off a Limited Edition guide ($32.30 + tax after discount)
    • Guide includes an exclusive 1.5" metal amulet with rope from the game, two special in-game digital downloads and a collectible hardcover strategy guide with a deluxe finish.
  • Tomb Raider Survival XBOX 360 controller ($39.99 when purchased with game)
Walmart:
  • Tomb Raider $59.96 + FS/Pickup
    • Guardian of Light download (1200 MSP / $15 value)
    • Guerrilla skin: This exclusive outfit makes Lara look like a jungle warfare guerrilla
    • Tomb Raider Scavenger Hunt code

• $4.99 VUDU Movie Credits (e-mailed)
GameStop:
  • Tomb Raider $59.96 + FS/Pickup
    • Exclusive Lost Adventurer Challenge Tomb. An exclusive tomb for Lara to raid! In this new location, Lara will encounter all new environment puzzles that will test her abilities.

• 10 points per dollar spent for PowerUp Rewards members
  • Tomb Raider Survival XBOX 360 controller $59.99
Target:
  • Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS/Pickup
    • Exclusive Target steelbook (preorder NOT required)
  • $5 Target GC after purchase

Amazon/Best Buy/Walmart/GameStop:

• Tomb Raider: Collector's Edition $99.99 + FS
    • Includes any store-specific exclusives (including Amazon)
    • Play Arts Kai Lara Croft Figurine: Fully posable figurine with over 40 points of articulation. The dirt on her body and clothes have been realistically recreated to tell the tale of Lara's fierce fight for survival on a desolate island in her first and most harrowing adventure. Comes with alternate set of 3 hands, bow and arrow, shotgun, handgun, and climbing axe. Figure Size: Approx 8.0" Tall
    • Endurance Survival Kit Packaging: Worn and weather-beaten steel tin (not a steel book) recovered from the Endurance shipwreck, and a 15" x 19" Double Sided Island Map and Poster. Discover Key Landmarks from the mysterious island of Yamati, where Lara Croft and her fellow castaways were marooned after the Endurance shipwreck. On the reverse is a poster size image of the box art that epitomizes Lara's origin story.
    • 5" x 7" heavy stock lithograph print with matte frame, designed by Crystal Dynamic's Senior Art Director, Brian Horton, painting by Brenoch Adams.
    • 3 Iron-on badges of the game's key icons (Animal Instincts, Climbing Axe, Fire Arrow)
    • Tomb Raider Original Soundtrack 'Survivalist cut'. A collection of 10 tracks totaling over 60 minutes of music from the game
    • Weapons Pack DLC
Microsoft Store:

• Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS
    • 1600 points card free with preorder from microsoftstore.com ($20 value)
      • Coupon code will be sent to email address associated with purchase within 10 days of game being shipped.
Again, if anyone has any comments, suggestions, or anything please let me know. Hope you CAGs find this useful!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Izod517']IIt also assumes you have a dedicated PC gaming box, and another PC for general home use and/or work - since doing something like working a spreadsheet on a 40"+ TV is ultimately way more annoying and uncomfortable than it is practical. [/QUOTE]

my dad had a 47" 1080P HDTV on his desk as his monitor. that was a beautiful sight. very usable in a work or play situation.

replaced it with a 23" touchscreen IPS monitor though because he wanted touch. and touch is fantastic. not only for the practical things like pinch-to-zoom, but some of the games are downright addicting and better with touch.

I've been putting hours into TapTiles. That is a heck of a game. Think Mahjong but in 3D and faster (also easier).

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']Try through SH site click Menu then Unlock code or something. You redeem there and others got my msg to. I used dlc redeem code not signup access check email to see which they sent. I recommend not adding until tue.[/QUOTE]

I too used my DLC redemption code instead of signup :/
Hope it works out..

[quote name='Gareee']We hooked our media pc into our 82", and added a xbox360 controller to it mainly for skyrim, but now we are finding we are using it as much as the ps3, and are buying more discounted pc games than psn games.

If you go that route, don't even screw around with motion joy for the ps3 controller.. just buy the htf xbox360 controller for the pc.

Motionjoy works, but control is slower, and I think there's more system processing going on in the background with it as well.. when we switched to it, we noticed performance increases on skyrim.[/QUOTE]
Nice, and I'd agree go the Xbox 360 controller route, though I haven't ever actually tried the PS3 controller (and I game on my PS3 10x more than on my Xbox). I just heard it was better/less complicated so that's what I went with.
[quote name='Izod517']I hear this from straight PC gamers often. Now I game on all 3 platforms personally, but I don't think this is really a valid response.

Firstly it requires very specific positioning of your game-room - it also assumes that you don't want to use your TV for other things while gaming (not that consoles achieve a difference), and finally even with things like Big Picture, you really need a key-board and mouse handy which adds even more clutter to the game area. It also assumes you have a dedicated PC gaming box, and another PC for general home use and/or work - since doing something like working a spreadsheet on a 40"+ TV is ultimately way more annoying and uncomfortable than it is practical. I just find using a PC like this to be clunky and off-putting, whereas with a console, I just boot and go. Yes I'm am aware that you can have various auto-start things etc that boot directly into your PC gaming world of choice - but it still very much feels unnatural. If a game lacks full controller support then I can almost never get comfortable on a couch with a Keyboard & Mouse. Again I love all three platforms and find myself playing PC more and more these days - but I don't buy the "just hook up the PC to your TV" as an end-all be all answer to the PC / console decision making process. That might change with something like the Steam Box, but right now I think it's a fairly weak point that requires some pretty specific household requirements that a console doesn't.[/QUOTE]
I'm anything but a straight PC gamer. I'm mostly a PS3 gamer. I think for PC I own Dishonored, Saints Row 3, Batman Arkham City, Borderlands 2, and now Tomb Raider for retail release cross platform games.

As for specific positioning of your game room, yeah I can see it all just depends. For me I just grab my laptop and hook it up to my TV in my living room when the kids aren't around. The only negative is that it's the same laptop I use for everything else so I can't just leave it hooked to the TV 24/7 like I do the consoles.

As for the games yeah you have to make sure the game supports the Xbox controller for the PC (most big titles nowaday do, but you can always google it if you're not sure). You can also play games that do not officially support the controller by using Xpadder and setting up the controls yourself (this is probably more annoying than it's worth and I only did it once to play Amnesia on my TV).

There is zero need for a keyboard as far as I know, and you may only need your mouse when starting the game through Steam, and that's it. After that it's the same as any other Xbox/PS3 game on a console.

I don't know I like it better just because like I said you basically get the best of both worlds (console gaming + PC graphics)

If anyone is wanting to do it here's all you need:

- Computer and HDTV with HDMI inputs
- Xbox 360 wireless controller
- A wireless gaming receiver (to use your Xbox controller wirelessly with your PC)

Here's a link in case there's any problems with the wireless receiver: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games...indows-setup#6c8f9ad2fa4d47eca506beb0d7312d88

and here's the link for the driver for your PC (install this on your computer and then don't worry about the disc that comes with the wireless receiver)

[quote name='diishen']does anyone know if any B&M stores are hosting midnight launches for TR?[/QUOTE]

Best Buy and Gamestop most likely.

[quote name='diazt350']Best Buy and Gamestop most likely.[/QUOTE]

I know for sure the GameStop near me is but I have the CE preordered at Best Buy and I don't think they are :(

At least I can play my steam copy at midnight :)

[quote name='fishphoenix']I know for sure the GameStop near me is but I have the CE preordered at Best Buy and I don't think they are :(

At least I can play my steam copy at midnight :)[/QUOTE]

You can call them or check the site for which stores the midnight releases happen.

My best buy always has midnight launches since gamestop across from them. Guess they like to compete haha.

I just got a response for invalid error. It sounds like if it glitched and it gave invalid/redeemed successful and actually used it but did not register it right we are scrwd... We will see tomorrow i like to be prepaid either way but not gonna be ahhh until it is fully active. Let's pray to the game gods tonight. haha

I figured i post in case it does not work and instead of wasting time with Eidos contact merchant. I know most merchants will not help.. Amazon gave me 3rd new code wii wait to use.

Thank you for contacting SQUARE ENIX support,
Thank you for your interest in Tomb Raider and our Scavenger Hunt event! We apologize for the confusion regarding the unlocking of the DLC for this title. We understand you may have been sent a Pick-Up Code early and that you are eager to start playing. Please wait until the game has been released before redeeming the code. If at that point the code is still registering as invalid, please contact the retailer for a replacement code as we are unable to replace any codes under any circumstance.
Thank you for contacting the SQUARE ENIX Support Center.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']I just got a response for invalid error. It sounds like if it glitched and it gave invalid/redeemed successful and actually used it but did not register it right we are scrwd... We will see tomorrow i like to be prepaid either way but not gonna be ahhh until it is fully active. Let's pray to the game gods tonight. haha

I figured i post in case it does not work and instead of wasting time with Eidos contact merchant. I know most merchants will not help.. Amazon gave me 3rd new code wii wait to use.

Thank you for contacting SQUARE ENIX support,
Thank you for your interest in Tomb Raider and our Scavenger Hunt event! We apologize for the confusion regarding the unlocking of the DLC for this title. We understand you may have been sent a Pick-Up Code early and that you are eager to start playing. Please wait until the game has been released before redeeming the code. If at that point the code is still registering as invalid, please contact the retailer for a replacement code as we are unable to replace any codes under any circumstance.
Thank you for contacting the SQUARE ENIX Support Center.[/QUOTE]

Amazon just sent me a email with the code to do the scavenger hunt. They said they had sent the email with the code a couple days when I pre-orded but I didn't get anything.

[quote name='LoveDragonDon']Best Buy will PM Amazon.com for the Strategy Guide price right?[/QUOTE]

No, Where did you hear that?

[quote name='LoveDragonDon']Best Buy will PM Amazon.com for the Strategy Guide price right?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='granturismo']No, Where did you hear that?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Best Buy price matches Amazon.

[quote name='diazt350']Amazon just sent me a email with the code to do the scavenger hunt. They said they had sent the email with the code a couple days when I pre-orded but I didn't get anything.[/QUOTE]
Yeah others had to contact amazon for 1st one.

[quote name='RenoVatio']so when you finish the scavenger hunt, what exactly is the pick up code on the "game packaging"?[/QUOTE]
If bought on amazon they emailed it.

[quote name='RenoVatio']After they ship it?[/QUOTE]

The scavenger hunt code is used on the tomb raider site amazon sent out emails with the redemption code to use on March 5th when the game comes out.

As for the other codes like the multiplayer map it's include with the game.

[quote name='RenoVatio']After they ship it?[/QUOTE]
Got scavenger register code 10 mins after i preordered 2 months ago. I got the scavenger progress unlock dlc code 2-3 days ago and the game just shipped today.

Whoo, my final hours edition and Strat guide are coming later today, amazon kindly packaged them together!

Heres to hoping the artbook is packaged like best buys comic.... can't wait.

Pretty pissed at the moment. Ordered ages ago with Amazon prime 2 day shipping which was supposed to count as release date shipping... and it'll now be here Wednesday. Thanks Amazon...

[quote name='Fearia']Pretty pissed at the moment. Ordered ages ago with Amazon prime 2 day shipping which was supposed to count as release date shipping... and it'll now be here Wednesday. Thanks Amazon...[/QUOTE]
Yup mine is thur.. They said prime is 2 day they do not do release date which they do. she offered to refund shipping which is free. I broke out laughing. :lol:

[quote name='Fearia']Pretty pissed at the moment. Ordered ages ago with Amazon prime 2 day shipping which was supposed to count as release date shipping... and it'll now be here Wednesday. Thanks Amazon...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']Yup mine is thur.. They said prime is 2 day they do not do release date which they do. she offered to refund shipping which is free. I broke out laughing. :lol:[/QUOTE]

That sucks. I ordered back in Dec. with Prime and got release date delivery.

I'm really worried that it won't come in good condition though.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']Yup mine is thur.. They said prime is 2 day they do not do release date which they do. she offered to refund shipping which is free. I broke out laughing. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Should have been nice and taken it... It might be free because of prime but they'll still give you 5 bucks for the hassle. (or at least they use too.)

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']Should have been nice and taken it... It might be free because of prime but they'll still give you 5 bucks for the hassle. (or at least they use too.)[/QUOTE]
When i laughed on the phone she got upset. I spent 20-25 mins with her to. She kept putting me on hold as well to check. When she then offered a shipping refund i just laughed while trying to say my shipping was 0. She got upset on me and i said go ahead refund me 0 and call ended. The rep was so lost and rude the entire time so i do not feel bad. I could not hold it in any longer. I wonder if i will get that $0.00 refund. Priceless :lol:

Oh well i got a laugh at least. ;)

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']When i laughed on the phone she got upset. I spent 20-25 mins with her to. She kept putting me on hold as well to check. When she then offered a shipping refund i just laughed while trying to say my shipping was 0. She got upset on me and i said go ahead refund me 0 and call ended. The rep was so lost and rude the entire time so i do not feel bad. I could not hold it in any longer. I wonder if i will get that $0.00 refund. Priceless :lol:

Oh well i got a laugh at least. ;)[/QUOTE]

lol, you did the right thing.

[quote name='TPerryoo7']lol, you did the right thing.[/QUOTE]
I wished i recorded it was so funny when all of a sudden i lmao. :lol:

Just got a copy from Target and wanted to confirm that the game comes in the steelbook. So anyone thinking they can keep the steelbook and return the game better think again... lol

[quote name='chriscolbert']Just got a copy from Target and wanted to confirm that the game comes in the steelbook. So anyone thinking they can keep the steelbook and return the game better think again... lol[/QUOTE]

Think you might be able to throw up a pic or two of what it looks like dude? I'd greatly appreciate it. Got a copy pre-ordered from BB, but depending on what it looks like...may think about snagging a steel-book copy as well. Thanks a million.

[quote name='BadBoy787512']Think you might be able to throw up a pic or two of what it looks like dude? I'd greatly appreciate it. Got a copy pre-ordered from BB, but depending on what it looks like...may think about snagging a steel-book copy as well. Thanks a million.[/QUOTE]

This is from the first post on the stickied thread. It's really nice! There is a neat slipcover over it not pictured. I left it in the car and am at work all day, so I won't be able to take one myself anytime soon.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338857

1st+Steelbook.jpg

[quote name='BadBoy787512']Think you might be able to throw up a pic or two of what it looks like dude? I'd greatly appreciate it. Got a copy pre-ordered from BB, but depending on what it looks like...may think about snagging a steel-book copy as well. Thanks a million.[/QUOTE]

Just got back from Target myself. Here is a picture with the slipcover (still sealed).
[IMG-L=8635]29606[/IMG-L]
(click image to zoom in)

[quote name='Banana Peel Assassin']FYI, its uses the same dpci/upc code as the standard (non-target) version.[/QUOTE]

My worry though is that the Best Buy version will have a unique UPC due to the comic supposedly being attached. Anyone seen a pic of their copy yet?

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']Just got back from Target myself. Here is a picture with the slipcover (still sealed).
[IMG-L=8635]29606[/IMG-L]
(click image to zoom in)[/QUOTE]

Yup got it too but the 360 version.

[quote name='chriscolbert']My worry though is that the Best Buy version will have a unique UPC due to the comic supposedly being attached. Anyone seen a pic of their copy yet?[/QUOTE]

I will be picking up my copy when they open and they happen to be right next door to Target. I will let you know how the plan works out.

it's funny. last night (during the midnight release), the girl working at the local gamestop was telling me she was planning to pick up the CE off of amazon and the steelbook from target, then return the target version while keeping the steelbook. I ended up telling her the bad news...in theory though, you could just return the CE game with all the dlc codes to target(if you guys are really desperate and if the upc matches).

Got mine for 360 at 8:30 with no problem. Looks like they had about 3-5 of them. Waiting outside Best Buy for them to open now to pick up my CE and figuring out the best approach to recoup most of my money back on one of the game copies.

Thanks a ton everyone! Was able to score a PS3 copy for myself and 360 version for a bud. Seems like my store had very limited stock as well (3-4 per system).

6frvqf.jpg

And the UPC codes for anyone who cares...

xkx5k3.jpg

[quote name='Banana Peel Assassin']wait, so the 360 version's max output is 1080p while the PS3's 720p?...interesting.[/QUOTE]

all 360 games say that. I doubt even 2 percent of them are native.

It figures Amazon is finally getting one to me on release day and I'll likely be returning it if I can get the steelbook from Target. Any other time they'd fuck me over like they're doing to you. : \

So... Can I redeem my Scavenger Hunt code today or any time after release to play the puzzles and get DLC? Or did I have to participate before the game came out...

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']So... Can I redeem my Scavenger Hunt code today or any time after release to play the puzzles and get DLC? Or did I have to participate before the game came out...[/QUOTE]
Before sorry. :cry:

Wait check this when i go there.

Photo and trivia challenges will be closed once you submit your pick-up code, so please be sure to answer any remaining weekly challenges before entering your pick up code.

bread's done
Back