Tonight Show Shakeup Leno Back In

^ The problem is Jay thinks of The Tonight Show as his property. That he owns it. That he was never some asshole guest host that got the gig by the good fortune of Letterman not being a brown-noser like himself.

[quote name='Brownjohn']So, what department of NBC do you work for?[/QUOTE]

yea like NBC is going to spread their PR into these type of forums :roll: Again fanboys keep ignoring the fact that it was Conan who stole the Tonights Show from Leno through the 2004 backroom deal with NBC, then throw a fit when the plan did not exactly pan out and accuse Leno of stealing the Tonights Show from Conan and all other kinds of nutjob conspiracy theories.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']^ The problem is Jay thinks of The Tonight Show as his property. That he owns it. That he was never some asshole guest host that got the gig by the good fortune of Letterman not being a brown-noser like himself.[/QUOTE]

Nope, the problem is that Conan thinks he's entitled to the Tonights Show after working over a decade at NBC. And rather than wait untill Leno willingly retires or have his ratings drop, Conan got impatient and forced NBC to kick Leno out. Conan never consulted or informed Leno, and Leno did not find out about it until after the deal was signed and dotted. Leno was the victim who was naive enough to believe that he would continue to host the Tonights Show as long his ratings remained #1. Apparently he did not expect Conan to stab him in the back like this, let alone running the current scorched earth campaign on the way out. It amazes me that Conan fanboys not only overlooked his shameless shady approach to steal the Tonights Show from Leno, but have the audacity to help Conan slander and spread ridiculous conspiracy theories against Leno.

[quote name='mykevermin']Folks, rumblebear ain't for real, so please don't respond to them.[/QUOTE]

when presented with facts that shine a unpleasant light on Conan, you guys just going to ignore and pretend it doesn't exist? Another new low for you Conan fanboys.

And for your information I'm not a big fan of late shows other than the Daily Show, but I find it quite despicable the level of unwarranted slander Conan and his supporters are throwing at Leno, especially the allegation that Leno stole the show from Conan, when in fact it was Conan who stole the show from Leno and having a temper tantrum because he couldn't keep what he stole.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='rumblebear']Nope, the problem is that Conan thinks he's entitled to the Tonights Show after working over a decade at NBC. And rather than wait untill Leno willingly retires or have his ratings drop, Conan got impatient and forced NBC to kick Leno out. Conan never consulted or informed Leno, and Leno did not find out about it until after the deal was signed and dotted. Leno was the victim who was naive enough to believe that he would continue to host the Tonights Show as long his ratings remained #1. Apparently he did not expect Conan to stab him in the back like this, let alone running the current scorched earth campaign on the way out. It amazes me that Conan fanboys not only overlooked his shameless shady approach to steal the Tonights Show from Leno, but have the audacity to help Conan slander and spread ridiculous conspiracy theories against Leno.[/QUOTE]

I'll bite.

Show me proof that Conan kicked Leno out. As far as I heard, Conan was "receiving offers from other networks." That doesn't mean his people gave NBC an ultimatum. You don't know what that means. Leno himself said in his farewell speech that NBC didn't want to lose Conan. They'd have let Conan walk if they were interested in keeping Leno.

You're a better mod than that. And if you'll excuse me, I need to swish some bleach around in my mouth. Or maybe on my keyboard - that arguably makes more sense.

[quote name='rumblebear']Nope, the problem is that Conan thinks he's entitled to the Tonights Show after working over a decade at NBC. And rather than wait untill Leno willingly retires or have his ratings drop, Conan got impatient and forced NBC to kick Leno out. Conan never consulted or informed Leno, and Leno did not find out about it until after the deal was signed and dotted. Leno was the victim who was naive enough to believe that he would continue to host the Tonights Show as long his ratings remained #1. Apparently he did not expect Conan to stab him in the back like this, let alone running the current scorched earth campaign on the way out. It amazes me that Conan fanboys not only overlooked his shameless shady approach to steal the Tonights Show from Leno, but have the audacity to help Conan slander and spread ridiculous conspiracy theories against Leno.[/QUOTE]

It'd be pretty difficult for Conan to "steal" something that NBC willingly offered him. It's not like Conan ran into Zucker's office with a gun and demanded a contract be drawn up.

Conan was being pursued by other networks, so NBC got scared. I guess they offered him the one thing they thought would keep him from leaving. Why Leno just rolled over and took it when he wasn't ready, however, is beyond me. He had far more bargaining power and worth than Conan (something NBC is just realizing now, it seems) and likely could've stood in the way. At the very least, I'm sure he could've gotten more than the 5 years NBC initially put on the table. Leno seems to look at his not having a manager as being an admirable trait, but perhaps it's something he should look into as he doesn't do the greatest job protecting his interests.

And, I think that's a lot of why Leno is getting the ire aimed his way. He presented himself as someone who was ready to retire then after the ink was dry, changed his mind. NBC did not handle things the best way (which is pretty much par for the course for them at this point), but Leno really didn't either. He would've had a lot more people behind his back had he stood his ground if he wanted to stay so badly.

As crazy as that rumblebear guy is, he makes a valid point somewhere in his rambling. Much of the hate and attacks on Leno are based on rumors, speculation, and hearsay. And much of it comes from a group of people who enjoy Conan's brand of humor over Leno's.

I don't believe that Conan was some evil genius who held a gun to the heads of NBC executives and forced them to give him the Tonight Show. However, if you were to tell me that Conan's management bargained hard and left the impression that Conan could leave NBC, then I could easily believe that.

The point is, Leno seems to be taking the harder shots because he's less liked by the younger, internet savvy crowd and due to the history involved from the first Tonight Show fiasco. I'm not saying that Leno hasn't done anything wrong in this, but there aren't many arguments that have been made against Leno that couldn't have been made the same for Conan. And it's due to the fact that whatever can be said against either party can't be really be verified. So, it's all just pointless arguing.

But, to me, it all still falls back on NBC wanting to have everything and its unwillingness to cut ties with any party.

[quote name='Trakan']I'll bite.

Show me proof that Conan kicked Leno out. As far as I heard, Conan was "receiving offers from other networks." That doesn't mean his people gave NBC an ultimatum. You don't know what that means. Leno himself said in his farewell speech that NBC didn't want to lose Conan. They'd have let Conan walk if they were interested in keeping Leno.[/QUOTE]

It was quite evident back in 2004 that it was against Leno's wish (and there were many rumors back then that reinforced this). Leno never gave any indication that he planned to retire -- especially 5 years in advance, and suddenly out of nowhere announcements were made that Conan is going to take over the Tonight's Show in 2009. Afterward for almost every followup by Leno regarding that subject, he became evasive or sprouted the retirement PR statement that he never appeared to be comfortable with -- which he now finally admitted was a white lie. Whether Conan gave NBC an ultimatum or not, he knew that Leno would be kicked out (against Leno's wish) when he signed that final contract. If Conan was such a swell guy who believed he deserves a shot at the 11:30 spot, he would've went to another network and compete with Leno the honorable way. Instead he chose to have the rug pulled from underneath Leno, thus removing his prime #1 competition by default.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ I've never seen this guy prior to this thread, but this post has shown me why people ignore him. I can't tell if that wad of idiocy is how he actually feels or if he is just trying to take the piss out of the topic. It isn't worth thinking about either way.

[quote name='rumblebear']It was quite evident back in 2004 that it was against Leno's wish (and there were many rumors back then that reinforced this). Leno never gave any indication that he planned to retire -- especially 5 years in advance, and suddenly out of nowhere announcements were made that Conan is going to take over the Tonight's Show in 2009. Afterward for almost every followup by Leno regarding that subject, he became evasive or sprouted the retirement PR statement that he never appeared to be comfortable with -- which he now finally admitted was a white lie. Whether Conan gave NBC an ultimatum or not, he knew that Leno would be kicked out (against Leno's wish) when he signed that final contract. If Conan was such a swell guy who believed he deserves a shot at the 11:30 spot, he would've went to another network and compete with Leno the honorable way. Instead he chose to have the rug pulled from underneath Leno, thus removing his prime #1 competition by default.[/QUOTE]

Accept your failure at providing proof.

Rumor has it that I've got the cure for cancer...

It's been rumored since 2001 by myself and a few other people. :roll:

[quote name='xycury']Accept your failure at providing proof.

Rumor has it that I've got the cure for cancer...

It's been rumored since 2001 by myself and a few other people. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Wow you expect me to provide video footage of the negotiation between Conan and NBC from back 2004? If you're going to avoid the obvious fishy nature of the deal made in 2004, and discard what NBC and Leno themselves said recently, maybe I should demand proof from you that show without a doubt that Leno was the mastermind who nefariously plotted and executed this whole thing and other crazy allegations you Conan fanboys thrown at him.

A curse upon your house for anyone who takes rumblebear seriously and/or interacts with them.

A curse upon your family for seven generations, too.

It's obvious that NBC valued Conan more than Leno, if they didn't then they wouldn't have cared if Conan was getting offers from other networks. The only reason they let Jay do another show was because they didn't want to pay him to walk away. Then when they realized that everything had gone to shit, they tried to fix things by putting them back the way were. Problem is that Zucker isn't Dr. Sam Beckett and this isn't Quantum Leap, there was no way to fix this without someone getting shafted.

Jay has done some segments Oprah so it wouldn't surprise me if she is on his side. It really is terrible how he said Conan on the Tonight show in itself was destructive to the franchise. Especially considering how Conan talked about the years he spent thinking about how he could make it better.

[quote name='rumblebear']Wow you expect me to provide video footage of the negotiation between Conan and NBC from back 2004? If you're going to avoid the obvious fishy nature of the deal made in 2004, and discard what NBC and Leno themselves said recently, maybe I should demand proof from you that show without a doubt that Leno was the mastermind who nefariously plotted and executed this whole thing and other crazy allegations you Conan fanboys thrown at him.[/QUOTE]
Jay's 2004 Announcement - watch more funny videos

[quote name='rumblebear']It was quite evident back in 2004 that it was against Leno's wish (and there were many rumors back then that reinforced this). Leno never gave any indication that he planned to retire -- especially 5 years in advance, and suddenly out of nowhere announcements were made that Conan is going to take over the Tonight's Show in 2009. Afterward for almost every followup by Leno regarding that subject, he became evasive or sprouted the retirement PR statement that he never appeared to be comfortable with -- which he now finally admitted was a white lie. Whether Conan gave NBC an ultimatum or not, he knew that Leno would be kicked out (against Leno's wish) when he signed that final contract. If Conan was such a swell guy who believed he deserves a shot at the 11:30 spot, he would've went to another network and compete with Leno the honorable way. Instead he chose to have the rug pulled from underneath Leno, thus removing his prime #1 competition by default. [/QUOTE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbXvj_PAbVM

I'm curious what the ratings were for Conan's reruns last week compared to his last set of reruns before all of this brouhaha. That would be interesting to see if any of the interest carried over. If people are willing to watch his reruns (especially compared to new eps of Letterman) then he would really have the potential to come back strong. Interest, though, could really wane in 7 months.

I was thinking about it and a great idea for counterprogramming on Leno's first night back on TTS would be for Conan to be a guest on Letterman. If Conan's deal with NBC to not appear on television until September is only restricted to him hosting a show then this could actually happen (and would blow Leno out of the water that night). However, if the deal restricts him from any TV appearance, oh well, so much for my idea.

[quote name='mykevermin']A curse upon your house for anyone who takes rumblebear seriously and/or interacts with them.

A curse upon your family for seven generations, too.[/QUOTE]

Many apologies, he's been fully ignored now.

But in reply.... proof goes both ways, I do agree, but first where are the facts? I can say one thing, and someone else can say another, what's there to prove if no one backs up their claim.

I'm not saying Leno lied and cheat is way in and conan is a saint, but so far there hasn't been proof to say Leno is a saint either.

I resisted the urge and ignored him. Primarily because I thought he WAS Jay Leno. Only Jay Leno could be asshole enough to stick up for Jay Leno.

Conan O'Brien can't appear on TV until September, but he may have hit on a way to let people see him before then.

According to a couple of reports, O'Brien is considering mounting a live stage show that would hit several cities and keep him in front of fans while he waits out the terms of his exit deal from NBC.

That deal, however, only says that he has to stay off television -- he doesn't have to stay out of the public eye completely. A live show is a way around that and, as a source notes to Page Six, "will build more buzz for him as he negotiates his next television contract."

FOX has expressed some interest in talking to O'Brien about launching a late-night show, but no formal talks have taken place.

There's no word yet on what form a Conan-fronted live show would take, or what elements (if any) from his late-night experience he might incorporate. If he decides he wants bandleader Max Weinberg along for the ride, that's probably doable; Weinberg's on a break from his other gig as Bruce Springsteen's drummer at the moment.

The Wrap also notes that a live show would probably be tied into a new online venture for O'Brien.
Two Sources report

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2010/02/conan-obrien-may-take-to-the-stage.html
http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2010-2-19-forget-fox-conan-o-brien-may-take-his-show-on-the-road

I was hoping the terms only applied to television, that way he could do something online in the mean time. Good to know thats the case.

It's too bad we will never get a leaked version of the agreement between NBC and Conan. There is so much that NBC does not want the public to know about. I am pretty sure that getting tickets to see Conan's on the road shows will be next to impossible.

Man, I nearly threw up when I saw the commercial saying Jay is coming back to the Tonight Show. I was hoping it was all a joke... ugh.

I'm trying to get tickets to opening night. I want to get a group together that will Boo constantly.

That would never happen, there are too many old people that like him. Best to get as many seats from them as possible. And how amazing would it be when Jay goes up to shake everyones hand only 2 old people stand up.

I don't even know what to make out commercial. Is it supposed to be sympathetic because the 10:00 show was a terrible idea that Leno had to suffer through? Or is it just calling Jay Leno a creep? Goddamn marketing.

I wonder why they picked that song. Seems very interesting. "I don't belong here"?

edit, nevermind, upon reading the description, the Beatles "Get Back" was the actual song played on the commercial.

I can't tell if you're serious, but that's a commercial that's airing now with a different song dubbed over it.

The real song is a Beatles song.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I am being serious. Not all of us click on embedded videos to read descriptions to be know-it-alls like you, Trakan.[/QUOTE]
The audio quality didn't match the video quality, and even based on context, you could tell that it was remixed.

bread's done
Back