Toshiba A3 HD DVD Player + 10 Movies $299

guyver2077

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Bestbuy.com has the Toshiba A3 Hd player for $199.99 (plus tax) plus you can select any 3 movies (including preorders) plus the usual 5 MIRB

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat135100050035

:hot: :hot:
Pre-orders work so you are able to select upcoming blockbuster titles like Shrek 3 and Bourne Ultimatum.

Remember you are also getting 300 (non combo) and Bourne Identity in the box!!!!!

That's 10 Movies FREE!!!

:hot: :hot:

Linkin provided scan in the closed Hd dvd Deals thread.

bba3ro2.jpg

Screenshot

bb.jpg

[quote name='lmz00']How'd you manage to get your free movies when you only bought the A2?[/quote]

Last week the promotion was 2 free movies with any Toshiba HD-DVD player including the A2.

[quote name='kevzik']Has anyone been successful at pming the 3 free movie deal with last week's 2 free movie deal? Im going to go try today.[/quote]

Was able to go back and get my third free movie. Its going to be a big YMMV though. Just be polite and clear when you explain whats going on because they will definitely have some trouble doing to PM.

[quote name='lawdood']Last week the promotion was 2 free movies with any Toshiba HD-DVD player including the A2.[/quote]
That sucks (for me). I ordered my A2 on BBFB last Friday, and haven't heard anything since. :(

[quote name='lmz00']That sucks (for me). I ordered my A2 on BBFB last Friday, and haven't heard anything since. :([/quote]

Well if your order ends up going through, I'd contact BB customer service and ask them to put in a request for your free movies to the Promotions dept. Can't hurt to try.

Why do they continually make 1080i models.. sigh..

RIP HD DVD.. continuing its support of 1080i models..

Its not that good of a deal either when you look at it.. for an extra 100 bucks you get a better model, 1080p, and for another 100 bucks, you get the top of the line model, with a much cooler looking machine, and it has a bright blue light underneath it.. quite nice.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Why do they continually make 1080i models.. sigh..

Its not that good of a deal either when you look at it.. for an extra 100 bucks you get a better model, 1080p, and for another 100 bucks, you get the top of the line model, with a much cooler looking machine, and it has a bright blue light underneath it.. quite nice.[/quote]

well my guess is supporting the mainstream... since actual owners of a 1080p set with a good size to take advantage of the resolution is really small.....

Its not that good of a deal either when you look at it.. for an extra 100 bucks you get a better model, 1080p, and for another 100 bucks, you get the top of the line model, with a much cooler looking machine, and it has a bright blue light underneath it.. quite nice.[/QUOTE]
I do not have a 1080p TV so this is a good buy for me. At 199 and 10 free movies it was just enough for me to take a bite at it. I know for $100 more I could get a better HD-DVD player, but I will not use the features so I will pass. I am still surprised I even bought this as I do not watch many movies, but I got a 50inch Toshiba DLP this June so I figured it will add to the setup.

[quote name='MrFriday18']I do not have a 1080p TV so this is a good buy for me. At 199 and 10 free movies it was just enough for me to take a bite at it. I know for $100 more I could get a better HD-DVD player, but I will not use the features so I will pass. I am still surprised I even bought this as I do not watch many movies, but I got a 50inch Toshiba DLP this June so I figured it will add to the setup.[/quote]

A lot of people have this thinking too, but think about it.

If you paid 100 bucks more, odds are youll get a new tv eventually, and your hd dvd player wont look as nice as it could, whereas if you got the extra 100 for the nicer model, youd be all set.

Get the BB warranty.. you can come back and swap it for a new one, and when it drops in price you get some moolah back.. its what I did :)

I also wasn't a big movie buff either, but when I got a ps3 in december of last year, and an hd dvd player a few months later, Collecting became a hobby..

now Im at nearly 250 plus hi def movies.. thats nearly 7k spent on movies.. its eerie..

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']A lot of people have this thinking too, but think about it.

If you paid 100 bucks more, odds are youll get a new tv eventually, and your hd dvd player wont look as nice as it could, whereas if you got the extra 100 for the nicer model, youd be all set.

Get the BB warranty.. you can come back and swap it for a new one, and when it drops in price you get some moolah back.. its what I did :)

I also wasn't a big movie buff either, but when I got a ps3 in december of last year, and an hd dvd player a few months later, Collecting became a hobby..

now Im at nearly 250 plus hi def movies.. thats nearly 7k spent on movies.. its eerie..[/quote]

unless i am missing something the next step up is $399 which would be $200 more then the A3...and its awfully nice to keep the price down to the point where its almost like you are purchasing 10 movies and getting the player free

A lot of people have this thinking too, but think about it.

By the time 1080p tvs are commonly owned , the format wars will probably be over and if its blu-ray who wins you would need a new player anyways... if HD-DVD wins then at the rate these players are price dropping a 1080p player will be around $100 anyways so its safer to get a cheaper one now then risking the $200 for the model up. Just IMO of course.

If HD-DVD dies o well. I only made a $199 investment and got 10 free movies out of it. Trust me, I have made far worse investments.

[quote name='lmz00']That sucks (for me). I ordered my A2 on BBFB last Friday, and haven't heard anything since. :([/quote]

me either.. i sent em an email today.. hopefully they respond tomm

If HD-DVD dies o well. I only made a $199 investment and got 10 free movies out of it. Trust me, I have made far worse investments.

Im starting to feel the same way, and I am very tempted do get int on this deal...

Its not that good of a deal either when you look at it.. for an extra 100 bucks you get a better model, 1080p, and for another 100 bucks, you get the top of the line model, with a much cooler looking machine, and it has a bright blue light underneath it.. quite nice.[/quote]

And who says that the 1080p marketing ploy is not working.

I have seen 1080p and 1080i side by side (all things equal just "p" and "i" different) and I would guess that 99 out of 100 people in a blind study could not tell the difference. But hey, if people want to spend more for a letter then be my guess! Also, nothing is going to be broadcast (off air or Sat) in 1080p for quite some time.

[quote name='animemaniac14']what the hell makes people thing HD DVD is going to die?![/quote]

99 dollar hd dvd player.

Getting killed this year 2:1.

Paramount lying about the actual numbers sold for Transformers on HD DVD.

The fact that almost every week this year, there was maybe one If I recall that hd dvd beat blu ray.. it was always the other way.

The fact that Disney/Fox backs up Blu Ray..

The fact blu ray has many many MANY more more exclusives than HD DVD.

Might be a few hints..

1080i may be fine for some people.. but my friends and I prefer 1080p.. if you have a choice.. its an obvious one..

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']99 dollar hd dvd player.

1080i may be fine for some people.. but my friends and I prefer 1080p.. if you have a choice.. its an obvious one..[/QUOTE]

Your friends and you have been brainwashed. Any good HDTV (and i assume you have one if you're watching 1080p video) de-interlaces 1080i sources and displays it at 1080p. So either way, your seeing the exact same picture.

The fact that almost every week this year, there was maybe one If I recall that hd dvd beat blu ray.. it was always the other way.

Might be a few hints..

1080i may be fine for some people.. but my friends and I prefer 1080p.. if you have a choice.. its an obvious one..[/QUOTE]

dude this a deal thread, if you arent talking about the deal, go to the general discussion thread.

[quote name='sman113']Your friends and you have been brainwashed. Any good HDTV (and i assume you have one if you're watching 1080p video) de-interlaces 1080i sources and displays it at 1080p. So either way, your seeing the exact same picture.[/quote]

correct... ive learned this through experience,, my a2 looks the same as my addon using 1080p..

alot of those points mentioned above are ridiculous...

I'm in.

I've been in the market for a stand-alone up-converting player anyway which seem to run around $100. Getting the HD-DVD ability and 10 free movies is icing on the cake.

how can anybody in their right mind argue against picking up a HD-A3 player with 10 free movies for $200...or, if you can still find them, a HD-A2 player with 8 free movies for $99...

1080p only helps if your TV supports it and if its around 50" or bigger which most people just dont have...it doesnt bother me cause in the end i plan on having a combo player when they get nice and cheap and this will hold me over nicely till then

[quote name='animemaniac14']so just out of curiosity...but does anyone have the a30 and can they recommend it as a good 1080p player?[/QUOTE]

i have the a30 but cant comment on its 1080p since i only used it on a 1080i... the form factor is slimmer than the a2.. not sure in comparison to the a3 though. Will find out once my a3 is shipped form best buy... that makes an a2, a3, and a30 now I own... sigh..

Might be a few hints..

1080i may be fine for some people.. but my friends and I prefer 1080p.. if you have a choice.. its an obvious one..[/quote]
Stop trolling...this is a deals thread, if you want to talk HD DVD vs Blu-Ray go here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132555

My only problem with this deal is I can't find more then 2 or 3 movies I want. I am tempted still, but I don't want the crap they offer in the 5 free. The 3 free, I can find 2, but the third movie I would choose is already included. I could probably find something for the third movie I looked longer.

Still, very tempted. If I hadn't just bought a TV, PS3, stand, ... I would justify it.

Might be a few hints..

Damn, in training is an understatement for your title. It's not even worth the time making an argument against you because you are so obviously wrong.

[quote name='redgopher']1080i is for douchebags. I'd suggest spending $100 more for 1080p.[/quote]

i still dont get why people think its only $100 more for 1080p

this argument is funny. i worked at best buy and 1080p at less than 46" is pretty much the same thing. same thing with hdmi cables the $50 one and the $150 are the same. yay marketing. that is all.

[quote name='redgopher']1080i is for douchebags. I'd suggest spending $100 more for 1080p.[/quote]And I'm guessing you also think a good surround sound is a Bose HTIB?

[quote name='Animal7390']this argument is funny. i worked at best buy and 1080p at less than 46" is pretty much the same thing. same thing with hdmi cables the $50 one and the $150 are the same. yay marketing. that is all.[/QUOTE]

It really depends on viewing distance, for the difference between 720 and 1080 at smaller screen sizes.

However, this discussion is about 1080i v. 1080p, where there is absolutely no difference on a nice 1080p set, which will deinterlace the source. Fixed-pixel displays are incapable of displaying an interlaced image. Projection-based displays are another matter, but these people who keep saying 1080p looks better than 1080i on their 1080p LCD are just ignorant fools.

Picked up my A3 that I ordered on Friday just now, they did a return and rebuy to get the 3rd HD DVD.

Now what's interesting, is I pre-ordered Shrek and The Aviator online with the 2 free deal (it was supposed to exclude pre-orders, but worked fine online, giving them to me free), but when they did the return and re-buy, it returned The Aviator as well, but not Shrek. However, I received tracking info for The Aviator on Saturday, so they may still be sending it to me, but their system shows it as returned I think.

To top it off, the guy helping me said OK, they returned The Aviator that you ordered online, you can pick out 3 freebies. So I did. I'll be curious to see if I get The Aviator and if they keep my Shrek pre-order in the system.

Oh yeah, I also bought an 360 addon a couple weeks ago during the Heroes sale (in which I got the 2 free HD DVDs as well), so I figured I'd take my receipt in to see if they'd give me a 3rd free - they did. :D

So I came home with my new A3 (with Bourne Identity and 300, of course), along with Happy Feet (heard it was supposed to be reference material as far as animation is concerned?), Flags of Our Fathers, Children of Men, and Breach. And I might still get The Aviator and Shrek 3...I hope I didn't jinx it.

EDIT: Since it seems most of the 360 addon deal discussion was in a now closed thread, do you think the fact that they'll give you another free HD DVD if you bring in your receipt from the 360 addon purchase warrants starting a new thread? I'm guessing a lot of those people won't be reading this or other similar threads anymore?

[quote name='Koggit']Projection-based displays are another matter, but these people who keep saying 1080p looks better than 1080i on their 1080p LCD are just ignorant fools.[/quote]

wait, but aren't you dropping frames that way (1080i to 1080p) in order for the display to de-interlace the two alternating (odd-even) images? if not, musn't there at least be some (albeit minimal) audio latency?

[quote name='aktick']
EDIT: Since it seems most of the 360 addon deal discussion was in a now closed thread, do you think the fact that they'll give you another free HD DVD if you bring in your receipt from the 360 addon purchase warrants starting a new thread? I'm guessing a lot of those people won't be reading this or other similar threads anymore?[/quote]

i was thinking the same thing. i think it ought to be added to the OP, at least, since it seems most folks have been successful at getting the third disc. i'll be trying it tomorrow.

[quote name='allyourblood']i was thinking the same thing. i think it ought to be added to the OP, at least, since it seems most folks have been successful at getting the third disc. i'll be trying it tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

see i dunno if i would get it, cause I got the two box sets for free, so maybe they wont be willing to get me a 3rd hddvd for free

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']see i dunno if i would get it, cause I got the two box sets for free, so maybe they wont be willing to get me a 3rd hddvd for free[/quote]

yeah, i think i was one of the five people who actually just bought what the ad stipulated. :lol:

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']see i dunno if i would get it, cause I got the two box sets for free, so maybe they wont be willing to get me a 3rd hddvd for free[/quote]
I actually bought 2, 1 I got 2 box sets free with. That set I didn't even try it, as I didn't want to alert them to the fact I got about $300 in HD DVDs free, not that they could really do anything.

The HD-A2 I ordered from Best Buy for Business for $99 + tax was upgraded to an HD-A3, thank you Toshiba and Best Buy

[quote name='cleaver']The HD-A2 I ordered from Best Buy for Business for $99 + tax was upgraded to an HD-A3, thank you Toshiba and Best Buy[/quote]

YEA ME TOO!!! fuckING BAD ASS!!! now i get to evaluate the a2 and a3 side by side....

[quote name='lurknomore']So now how are we BB4B buyers going to go about getting the 3 free HD-DVDS?[/quote]

i suppose begging would be a good start :whistle2:D

[quote name='lurknomore']So now how are we BB4B buyers going to go about getting the 3 free HD-DVDS?[/QUOTE]
My plan is to take the invoice in store and say "where are my 3 HD DVDs?" Unlikely to work, though.

[quote name='cleaver']The HD-A2 I ordered from Best Buy for Business for $99 + tax was upgraded to an HD-A3, thank you Toshiba and Best Buy[/QUOTE]

best buy business ? please elaborate. links appreciated too.

new hd dvd player with 10 movies including some box sets and pre orders for 99 bucks is a deals I can't pass up!

please post or message me with more info. thank you for your time and consideration.

ps. I checked the web site and all I saw was the HD-A20 for 399. is this the same player you are refering to for the upgrade ¿? Again Thanks

[quote name='floormat']best buy business ? please elaborate. links appreciated too.

new hd dvd player with 10 movies including some box sets and pre orders for 99 bucks is a deals I can't pass up!

please post or message me with more info. thank you for your time and consideration.

ps. I checked the web site and all I saw was the HD-A20 for 399. is this the same player you are refering to for the upgrade ¿? Again Thanks[/QUOTE]

nah, the a2 has been long gone now.

bread's done
Back