Toys R Us: Buy Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, get any Wii/Wii U games 40% off (Up to 3 Discounted Games Per Order)

srac84

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=022314wiigame&origkw=022314wiigame&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2254197&sr=1

Fine print:

40% off ANY Wii or Wii U video game when you buy Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze video game for Wii U.

Excludes sale items. Must buy Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze video game for Wii U AND add to cart additional Wii or Wii U game of choice for offer to apply. Maximum 3 discounts per order transaction.

----------
Sorry if the titles is confusing lol.. I just made an order for donkey kong tropical freeze at toys r us, and you can add more than 1 wii u game and get 40% off of them as well. So I order donkey kong..pikmin 3, new super mario bros wii u, and super mario land 3d for store pick up.. I had to pay 49.99 for donkey kong but got 40% of each of the other games..seems to be a limit of 4 games in total.. Now just waiting on the ready for pick up email... Hope it works for everyone else.. Obvioulsy do store pick up incase they cancel orders for shipment.. says "Ready within an hr" but we'll see ...

I've posted the link to donkey kong below, and then just use the search bar to search for other games you wanna add..discount should reflect in the shopping cart...

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24191496&cp=&parentPage=search

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank God one of the TRU in my area had a few copies of DK left or I would have been SOL. I ended up getting Galaxy 2 and Wonderful 101 @ 17.99 a piece. Really good deal actually. Too bad I don't really want DK and justed wanted the other two games at the discounted price. Now what do I do with DK?

I understand getting pissed about return fraud when people return games to Walmart without receipts for full price, but what's so wrong about doing it here, where the retailer doesn't actually lose anything?
Yeah, dude. Because retailers buy games at MSRP from people who buy games from other retailers.

Donkey Kong is back in stock, this is a pretty good deal if anybody wants some of these games like Pikmin 3 or 3D World like others have said.

Also, this won't work in store either. I saw the thread pop up while I was on my lunch break, so I grabbed DK: TF, SM3D World, Pikmin and WW. Only SM3D World came off at 40% off.

Just in case someone was going to try it in store. The buy DK: TF and get 1 game 40% off still applies in store though.

I'm tempted by this but I already got Mario 3D World for $39.99 at Target and dont have any other Wii U games big on my radar right now (let alone a system to play on).  Probably too much effort for me on this one with too high an investment sadly.

Yeah, dude. Because retailers buy games at MSRP from people who buy games from other retailers.
Won't they still be able to sell that same game to someone else, for the same price?

Not condoning return fraud, but, in this case, it works as a regular return for the retailer.

Won't they still be able to sell that same game to someone else, for the same price?

Not condoning return fraud, but, in this case, it works as a regular return for the retailer.
Maybe. Or maybe not. What if it sits on the shelf and they have to discount it?

My 4 games were Donkey Kong, Super Mario 3D World, NSMB U and Pikmin 3. I really have all the games I've ever wanted for this machine.

Yeah, dude. Walmart doesn't get to sell the product it bought at wholesale price because it's selling something it didn't intend to buy. It must be the exact same thing as them taking a return for an item they sell.

yeah uh dawgs, don't return games, it's evil. Grow some balls and accept your poor decisions. Think about the corporations!!!!

:hd:

Looks like even though my Donkey Kong order went through its' backordered, the rest going through. Oh well, want it but I'd probably play the others first.

Maybe. Or maybe not. What if it sits on the shelf and they have to discount it?
Yeah, dude. Walmart doesn't get to sell the product it bought at wholesale price because it's selling something it didn't intend to buy. It must be the exact same thing as them taking a return for an item they sell.
Maybe I'm missing the point entirely, but what's wrong in returning a sealed copy of a game to the same retailer you bought it from, during the legal return window? Isn't this what's being discussed? We're not talking about no-receipt returns.

I've honestly never done it myself, I just don't see how that's hurting the company. You have the right to return the game. If it's in sealed condition, and its value hasn't depreciated in any form, does it really matter if it's the exact same copy or not?

Maybe I'm missing the point entirely, but what's wrong in returning a sealed copy of a game to the same retailer you bought it from, during the legal return window? Isn't this what's being discussed? We're not talking about no-receipt returns.

I've honestly never done it myself, I just don't see how that's hurting the company. You have the right to return the game. If it's in sealed condition, and its value hasn't depreciated in any form, does it really matter if it's the exact same copy or not?
We were talking about return fraud. I thought you were talking about return fraud because you entered the conversation about return fraud. This is claiming to return a game to a retailer that didn't sell you that game.

My copy is already on its way from NewEgg, but I'm tempted to return it and use this to pick up DKC, Mario & Sonic and Wii Party U, then flip the included on Wii Remotes onto eBay for $20/$25. Hmm.

We were talking about return fraud. I thought you were talking about return fraud because you entered the conversation about return fraud. This is claiming to return a game to a retailer that didn't sell you that game.
I thought we were discussing the other option. This is the post that sparkled the argument:

I bought the game Friday at Best Buy, if I buy it again at Toys R Us, could I return it to Best Buy since I still have my receipt? Or even Walmart for in store credit (give it to my mom for cash lol)? I just don't want to get in trouble or something...
In that case, returning it to Best Buy shouldn't be a problem. However, taking it to Walmart would be return fraud.

Guys I can't believe this has gotten this far....

Wal-Mart policy CLEARLY states that, for a purchase of ANY item priced at $20 (or maybe it's $25 I don't remember lol) or more, a receipt is required in order to get a return.  IIRC some stores are allowed to accept "returns" without a receipt in exchange for a $20 (or again was it $25 lol) gift card, but that is YMMV (and IIRC they may restrict that to movies/games anyways, its been awhile lol).  If a clerk is giving a full return on a $50 or $60 game without a receipt they will be reprimanded (assuming the manager is doing their job).  It's been a few years so it's possible this policy has changed, but aside from removing the $20 gift card "offer" I can't picture them changing a damn thing tbh.

They aren't as harsh on return fraud as they are on employees who break the price-matching rules but they do still take it seriously.

Now as for this deal..... getting NSMBU, Pikmin 3, W101, and DKTF for around $140 before tax.  Does that sound like a fair deal or should I cancel?  I keep going back and fourth on it lol.  I mean I probably won't be playing Pikmin/W101/DK for awhile but I'm not sure that's a better deal on the horizon either.  I mean this does more or less boil down to a B2G1 free deal, or even better for anybody who didn't take advantage of Target Super Mario HD Land sale a few weeks ago.  Either way thanks OP 

And did anybody else notice that NSMBU was all but impossible to find on the Toys R Us website?  It didn't show up under games and searching for it brought up nothing but stupid WiiU skins.  I did eventually find it, but I had to pull up the link through Google, otherwise I would've never found it.

Last edited:
U can return 3 items to Walmart without a receipt in a 45 day period. The $25 or less decides whether you get cash or gift card.

U can return 3 items to Walmart without a receipt in a 45 day period. The $25 or less decides whether you get cash or gift card.
I am certain that, up until a few years ago (when I last checked, probably still true today though), they weren't allowed to give a full refund on anything over $20/$25 without a receipt. I'm very fuzzy on the gift card nonsense since none of the stores in our town really honored that anyways, but I do know that no Wal-Mart is obligated to offer full priced refunds on anything over the $20/$25 mark without a receipt (unless there has been a recent policy change, haven't checked in awhile)

I don't know how you guys pull off this return fraud crap. I remember I had a massive fight with Wal-Mart to return a copy of Pokemon Black/White 2 way back when just because I waited until the last day of my return window to return it. It's always been hard enough getting Wal-Mart to honor their own sales ad or return anything when I do have a reciept.

Last edited:
I am certain that, up until a few years ago (when I last checked, probably still true today though), they weren't allowed to give a full refund on anything over $20/$25 without a receipt. I'm very fuzzy on the gift card nonsense since none of the stores in our town really honored that anyways, but I do know that no Wal-Mart is obligated to offer full priced refunds on anything over the $20/$25 mark without a receipt (unless there has been a recent policy change, haven't checked in awhile)

I don't know how you guys pull off this return fraud crap. I remember I had a massive fight with Wal-Mart to return a copy of Pokemon Black/White 2 way back when just because I waited until the last day of my return window to return it. It's always been hard enough getting Wal-Mart to honor their own sales ad or return anything when I do have a reciept.
Its on their site. Anything over like $20/25 that is returned is store credit. And from what I have heard from an employee, those 3 returns are really returns. Its Walmart buying it back from you.

Okay, so why in the world do all TRU stores in my area show this as "sold out"?  I would guaranteed take this up otherwise.

Oh well :(

I picked up DK and Pikmin from my nearest TRU today. There was some confusion but they figured it out. After like a danged hour of updates I got to play some DK on my new white Wii U, looks and sounds great. TRU already shipped Mario so I just have to wait on that. Won't be hard with DK and the 3DS Zelda to play.

I'm sorry that people are having trouble finding local copies. Lots of places around me seem to have it, or at least the places out in the 'burbs.

*copied from Sunday Deals thread*

Anyone know if ToysRUs will scan email coupons from a tablet/smartphone? I don't have a printer, and would rather not have to hit up a Kinko's or UPS to print the coupon out before I head over there tomorrow.

The coupon in question is the current 15%-off one, just FYI.

Its on their site. Anything over like $20/25 that is returned is store credit. And from what I have heard from an employee, those 3 returns are really returns. Its Walmart buying it back from you.
Without a receipt? That's gotta be a relatively new policy.... and it is very odd. If accurate, this basically means that Wal-Mart is condoning return fraud. I have a hard enough time getting Wal-mart to accept returns when I do have a receipt.

Anyone know if you return DK, do they give you the full amount or just a percentage?
My reciept shows DKTF at $50 and my other games at the 40% off price, so if they will accept partial returns they'd probably take DK back at $50. That said, I doubt very seriously that they would accept a partial return. I've never tried it myself, but on previous Toys R Us deals others have said that you have to return all the games to get a refund.

Without a receipt? That's gotta be a relatively new policy.... and it is very odd. If accurate, this basically means that Wal-Mart is condoning return fraud. I have a hard enough time getting Wal-mart to accept returns when I do have a receipt.

My reciept shows DKTF at $50 and my other games at the 40% off price, so if they will accept partial returns they'd probably take DK back at $50. That said, I doubt very seriously that they would accept a partial return. I've never tried it myself, but on previous Toys R Us deals others have said that you have to return all the games to get a refund.

The other poster was referring to returns without a receipt in general. Video games are in the exclusions list and have their own policy. They must be returned sealed with receipt within 90 days. If defective, they still need a receipt and can only be exchanged for that title. Anyone who gets games taken back without a receipt would be a YMMV situation which explains why you have problems returning games even with a receipt-were they over 90 days? Personally, I know they let me exchange a sealed blu ray movie for a different blu ray title(same price) without a receipt, so like I said, YMMV but policy does not allow it(movies same exclusion as video games, at least they used to be at that time).

The other poster was referring to returns without a receipt in general. Video games are in the exclusions list and have their own policy. They must be returned sealed with receipt within 90 days. If defective, they still need a receipt and can only be exchanged for that title. Anyone who gets games taken back without a receipt would be a YMMV situation which explains why you have problems returning games even with a receipt-were they over 90 days? Personally, I know they let me exchange a sealed blu ray movie for a different blu ray title(same price) without a receipt, so like I said, YMMV but policy does not allow it(movies same exclusion as video games, at least they used to be at that time).
No, I tried to return the game either 2 weeks or a month later - I forget which. Either way they argued with me about it, saying that it was too late to return it, even though I was technically on the last day of the return window they kept quoting me.

Yeah I know video games are on their own beast, but we are on CAG so I kinda figured that's what we were talking about lol.

Last edited:
*copied from Sunday Deals thread*

Anyone know if ToysRUs will scan email coupons from a tablet/smartphone? I don't have a printer, and would rather not have to hit up a Kinko's or UPS to print the coupon out before I head over there tomorrow.

The coupon in question is the current 15%-off one, just FYI.
Yes, they're able to scan the coupon from your device - or, if the scanner won't read your phone (some screen protectors will reflect the scanner), they can key in the coupon number.

Manufacturer's coupons require the physical coupon to be used.

Yes, they're able to scan the coupon from your device - or, if the scanner won't read your phone (some screen protectors will reflect the scanner), they can key in the coupon number.

Manufacturer's coupons require the physical coupon to be used.
Excellent, thanks for the info. It's the one featured boldly on TRU's front page, so I shouldn't have any issue.

Instore only works with 1 other Wii/U game. I didn't feel like being "that guy" at the register so I still got DKTF and Pikmin 3($35.99) and also bought Sin and Punishment for like $9.

any idea how long this deal is going on for? it appears my nearest TRU has Donkey Kong back in stock and i wanted to get Pikmin 3, Galaxy 2 and Rayman Legends but they are out of stock on Legends! and I don't know what else to get besides maybe Wonderful 101 or the first Galaxy game but I really want Legends!

I guess I could just have Legends shipped instead though...

any idea how long this deal is going on for? it appears my nearest TRU has Donkey Kong back in stock and i wanted to get Pikmin 3, Galaxy 2 and Rayman Legends but they are out of stock on Legends! and I don't know what else to get besides maybe Wonderful 101 or the first Galaxy game but I really want Legends! I guess I could just have Legends shipped instead though...
I would call instead of trusting the website or just go in if the employees are derp. My store said it was out of stock of Galaxy 2 but they had 2 or 3 slips left when I went in. Also, I mentioned earlier, my store didn't do the up to 3 off for the 40% each game. Could only get 1 for 40% off. You could make a fuss I suppose to try and get them to honor their site. I didn't feel like doing that.

I would call instead of trusting the website or just go in if the employees are derp. My store said it was out of stock of Galaxy 2 but they had 2 or 3 slips left when I went in. Also, I mentioned earlier, my store didn't do the up to 3 off for the 40% each game. Could only get 1 for 40% off. You could make a fuss I suppose to try and get them to honor their site. I didn't feel like doing that.
Can't I check out online though and pick up at the store? So if I already pay ahead of time how could they deny me? Never done something like this before though.

Toys R Us will gray out items in their inventory once it falls below a certain amount, even though they might still have a couple of that item left. When someone orders online for in-store pickup, an employee gets a notice to go pull those items from the sales floor. If there was only one or two left, other customers might have already picked them up but have yet to check out. Or they just got returned and haven't been put back out on the sales floor. Or they're being held for a guest issue or someone called in advance of coming to the store. Regardless, it keeps TRU from having to cancel a bunch of orders due to not having the inventory. If you're actually looking for something and it comes up as out of stock, give your local Toys R Us a call - they can check their exact inventory to see how many they actually have.

And there's nothing to 'honor' compared to the website. I'm almost positive that the "Maximum 3 discounts per order" clause was supposed to mean you can only buy 3 copies of DK: TF and receive 3 other games at 40% off. If this was intentional, Toys R Us would have made it much more obvious, both in the store and online (something like "Buy Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Get Up to 3 Wii or Wii U Games at 40% Off"). The registers received the right update - the website didn't.

went to order with DK in my cart, as soon as I submitted the order it said DK was out of stock and it charged me full price for the other 3 games!

Cancelled the order though...

bread's done
Back