10% off disc10
Latest Transformers news:

• Dark of the Moon toyline to be released at retail on May 15, 2011
  • Transformers Prime toyline to be released at retail in October 2011
Latest Transformers figures available at retail now:

• Generations Warpath, Kup, and Scourge
  • Dark of the Moon Preview Pack Cyberverse Optimus Prime

Last edited by a moderator:
Found Kickback at TRU today -- first time I've seen it on the pegs. Also found Soundblaster (passed -- I'm not getting 3 of this figure) and saw Laserback. It's like a Beast Wars scout mated with a knock-off Digimon in a low-rent hotel.

Saw Beast Hunters Deluxes at Target as well, and Wal-Mart didn't have the Deluxes but it did have the Legends and Cyberverse Commanders.

Amazon has foc soundwave, sound blaster, ultra Magnus, insecticon, sideswipe, and starscream for decent non scalper prices right now.

So lots of new toys shown at ToyFair (not gonna link images here and clutter it up, but they're all on the usual sites like tfw2005 and tformers).

Like: Springer and Blitzwing. Yay triple changers!

Tentatively excited: Generations based on ongowing IDW series. Haven't read them (yet) but it's nice to get another "universe" in toy form.

Initially ZOMG and now "when on clearance": Metroplex.
Seriously, I almost fell over when I saw the first announcement/image of robot mode. Soooooo gorgeous, gigantic (2 feet tall!), electronics, etc. Then I saw the carrier mode. "OK, very G1, simple transformation, but still pretty cool. Base mode must be off the chain!" Then I see base mode... fuck off Hasbro. They've pretty much upsized/tweaked G1 Metroplex. As far as I can tell he transforms almost identically. It's fine to have a giant brick back in 1986. Not so much now. The abdomen/torso is basically a giant brick of a battery box, the limbs are too spindly and don't really "expand" for base mode.

I love Hasbro for this effort, I really do. Appeasing fans with a citybot (something I really never thought I'd ever see again), making a cool playset for kids, G1/FOC combined homage. Just, the execution seems pretty terrible imho. Here's hoping for a good clearance so I can pick it up eventually, but not worth $125.00

Springer looks pretty badass.

They're also gonna release MP Soundwave and Acid Storm through Hasbro and Soundwave is supposed to have 5 cassettes. Of course this was announced right after I received my Takara Soundwave in the mail.

[quote name='Zmonkay']I love Hasbro for this effort, I really do. Appeasing fans with a citybot (something I really never thought I'd ever see again), making a cool playset for kids, G1/FOC combined homage. Just, the execution seems pretty terrible imho. Here's hoping for a good clearance so I can pick it up eventually, but not worth $125.00[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you. I am frankly stunned that Hasbro will be offering something like this, and I feel like I should thank them.

That said, I think that in thirty years, we can go a little farther than have Metroplex sit down, rotate an arm, and call it a city. It's frankly kind of lazy, even if it's very authentic to the original. I know some people will love that, but I feel like I've been there and done that. In fact, I have.

I won't be buying it, even on clearance. It's a great show piece, but apart from a badass robot mode, it's kind of boring.

Totally digging Springer and Blitzwing. Those two can't come soon enough.

I knew holding off on Takara Soundwave was the correct choice.
Excited for the Generations figs. Haven't picked up a TF since the Kup/Warpath/Thundercracker wave. Still wish they would give us DotM Soundwave and Q as well as United Frenzy and Rumble.

While I'm happy that they confirmed a domestic release for soundwave plus tapes, I'm still not confident that they'll be able to stock it well enough for me to actually find it at a store. Did they say whether its another TRU exclusive?

They have not confirmed what store it will be exclusive to yet. I didn't pick up MP TC or OP but saw TC a few times and OP only once. Was able to get Rodimus and Grimlock ok. I am betting he will be TRU though which is a little better than being a Walmart exclusive.

[quote name='fujishig']While I'm happy that they confirmed a domestic release for soundwave plus tapes, I'm still not confident that they'll be able to stock it well enough for me to actually find it at a store. Did they say whether its another TRU exclusive?[/QUOTE]

Ditto, I have yet to come across an MP Prime anywhere, though you can't help but trip and fall all over the piles of MP Thundercracker.

I too am surprised at how many of the upcoming releases look like things I must buy. Metroplex looks great and since I never got one as a kid, I may have to indulge.

So traffic on the way home last night was good to me so I stopped at TRU. I had just been on Saturday with my kids for a Lego bribe in return for their good behavior (I'm father of the year) and the transformers section was largely empty. Not so last night when it looked like the aisle had been hit by the beast hunters stick in a big way. I'm talking full pegs, large variety, and voyagers. They had even restocked on regular TF Prime FE toys.

I grabbed both Predaking and Optimus in voyager size and I have to say that I like both a lot more than I thought I would. Optimus' retooled appearance allows for more dynamic poses in bot mode and his sans-facemask battle grimace makes him look fairly bad-ass. His weaponry is finally less gimmicky and more awesome. His alt mode also looks like he means business with some angry claw-like fender action. For his part, Predaking certainly looks like king of predators. His alt mode is a thoroughly satisfying hydra-dragon. His transformation is particularly clever. His bot mode is also dynamic and menacing in ways that Megatron never was.

In both cases, they were partially mis-transformed for packaging due to the back-pack kibble they both carry in bot mode. In fact, my Predaking's wings popped off as I took him out of the plastic tray and one of Prime's wheels was partially popped off in the package such that it went sailing across my desk once I freed him from his tray.

All-in-all I have been largely disappointed by the overall build quality of the deluxe line for BH, and in some cases perplexed by the character design choices that were made. The same cannot be said of these voyager class guys. I love them. If you see them, they are worthy of purchase consideration.

Most beast hunters and a fair amount of FoC are available on hasbrotoyshop. Free shipping over 50.00. Not "sale" but about what you'd pay in stores and avoid hunting. Sadly Insecticon and Grimlock are both OOS :(

[quote name='El Rey']They have not confirmed what store it will be exclusive to yet. I didn't pick up MP TC or OP but saw TC a few times and OP only once. Was able to get Rodimus and Grimlock ok. I am betting he will be TRU though which is a little better than being a Walmart exclusive.[/QUOTE]

They did confirm that Acid Storm and Soundwave are TRU exclusive at Toy Fair.

I don't regret getting my Takara Soundwave at all because I can skip all the BS that comes with finding a TRU exclusive MP.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Most beast hunters and a fair amount of FoC are available on hasbrotoyshop. Free shipping over 50.00. Not "sale" but about what you'd pay in stores and avoid hunting. [/QUOTE]

Most stuff on HTS is about $2 - $3 under retail prices... I saved a good $20 or so buying all the new figures through them instead of TRU or Wal-Mart (and a load of gas and time too!)

Stopped by a Wal-Mart yesterday, and they had FoC Grimlock and Blaster. Bought both.

I can't make up my mind about FoC Insecticon. It has a great robot mode, a surprising transformation, and then there's the insect mode. I can't decide if it's disappointing or crap.

In many ways, it reminds me of Thundertron. It's practically an insect statue, and there are a lot of bad ideas at work. At the same time, it's more complex than Thundertron. I get the feeling someone tried here, even if they didn't quite succeed.

It's nicely decorated and there's a lot going on. This is also big for a deluxe and comes with a disc launcher, disc, and two clear sword/wings. Unfortunately, I can't seem to do anything with the disc launcher in insect mode.

Part of me wants to like it. It's got lots of details, wings, claws, and it doesn't feel like an explosion of limbs, parts, or wackiness like we got with Transmetals or Beast Hunters. That someone tried to give Kickback -- who never had a complex transformation -- something more than set it down and move the arms and legs means a lot to me.

However, the front insect legs have no articulation. Neither does the head. The insect legs don't have pegs or anything, and trying to move one thing dislodges the whole unstable mess. The insect legs have some nice details, but they also don't look very changed from robot mode. The wings can't easily be posed because something interferes no matter how you try to do it.

Ah well. My expectations going in were pretty low, so maybe that's why I don't dislike it. I will say I am glad to see the rampant reductions in size/paint/everything seem to be reversing.

This is the FoC Grimlock...correct? Never seen it at any stores.

XqZ_HRkHtD3pfwItg-K_qRcGoLahBLdyWozlB04ar2pL9E2qpnWMk4kF_kRaOg8aChIFlEqZnKxgC4ySvjbnFyZCmMxU4xyLK1OMzdY-ZcpWC4Ue_1vyT2w9RcdESnoTuxz7GZeUrgaFUzxR27cIoneuZCVZzq3D9zmxuyfa3nN7XtQ3qkSevYk71tlJ4osa=s220-c

How much was it at Walmart?

[quote name='wastedyouth']I ordered MP Soundwave and I think I'm gonna sell it and buy the hasbro version[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my friend also regrets importing the MP Soundwave after hearing about the hasbro version on the horizon this year. Hopefully, I will be able to score one.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']This is the FoC Grimlock...correct? Never seen it at any stores.

XqZ_HRkHtD3pfwItg-K_qRcGoLahBLdyWozlB04ar2pL9E2qpnWMk4kF_kRaOg8aChIFlEqZnKxgC4ySvjbnFyZCmMxU4xyLK1OMzdY-ZcpWC4Ue_1vyT2w9RcdESnoTuxz7GZeUrgaFUzxR27cIoneuZCVZzq3D9zmxuyfa3nN7XtQ3qkSevYk71tlJ4osa=s220-c

How much was it at Walmart?[/QUOTE]

$22.96, and that's the one.

You shouldn't have any problem finding it in the near future -- it's 3 Grimlocks to 1 Blaster. I have also seen Soundwave/Soundblaster at Target, so it looks like they'll be around.

[quote name='blandstalker']$22.96, and that's the one.

You shouldn't have any problem finding it in the near future -- it's 3 Grimlocks to 1 Blaster. I have also seen Soundwave/Soundblaster at Target, so it looks like they'll be around.[/QUOTE]

I might have to get it...

Yeah, glad I don't need/want him. Grim being 22 free shipping no tax is a no brainer. Plus forced my hand at getting around to preordering Project X Zone :D

[quote name='jman2avatar']That's an awful price for Blaster. These toys are selling for $22 at Target and Toys R US.[/QUOTE]

It was $22.99 from Amazon, not a 3rd party.

Yeah foc blaster and Grimlock have been going in and out of stock for 22.99 the past week or so on amazon. When they sell out it's back to the 3rd party seller inflated prices.

[quote name='blandstalker']$22.96, and that's the one.

You shouldn't have any problem finding it in the near future -- it's 3 Grimlocks to 1 Blaster. I have also seen Soundwave/Soundblaster at Target, so it looks like they'll be around.[/QUOTE]

Sweet...thanks. Missed it on Amazon last night...guess I'll have to keep a closer eye out.

Went to TRU and picked up all four Kre-O Combiner sets, plus 10 of the 12 bags. I didn't recall that the 'extra' combiner members were sold as singles, and I didn't want to have to track them down later.

I passed on the blind bags earlier and only caved this time because of the combiner members and I heard that distribution is really spotty. The one box at this TRU had 10 of the 12, but I've heard others can have much fewer. I missed out on Insecticon and Bludgeon. I may try to catch them later, depending on how I feel after the ones I've got.

So far, I've opened Springer, Singe, Dirge, Hook, and Devastator. It's an improvement over the preview wave, but there's still some ways to go.

I think part of the problem is that the priorities are still screwed up. There are lots of parts, which adds value, but still little paint. Compared to Lego minifigures, Kre-O still doesn't feel finished. The minifigures that come in the large sets and don't have vehicle modes seem to be more elegant and less cheap. Tolerances are sometimes iffy, and some ideas -- like snapping treads on to the arms -- don't work well at all. Both with the minifigures and the combiners, it's often the case that handling them causes something to fall off. It's not like Lego is totally immune to this, but they're still much better at it.

Kre-O also seems to want to complete the look with parts, which look oversized for the figures. Springer does not look better with a grey brick on his chest. Singe looks stupid with a big clear red 'engine' or whatever that's supposed to be. They are also still obsessed with the over-the-neck shield pieces that hide the paltry paint they sprung for. I still can't for the life of me understand this. I shouldn't have to choose between seeing Springer's paint details and his helicopter blades. Same goes for Dirge. Amusingly, on the back of the single bags, Dirge's picture shows his chest art but he has his wings on. This is not possible given the parts in the bag. At least the paint budget is better this time -- only Singe has monochrome paint. The rest look much better than the preview wave.

Devastator is a mixed bag, too. For the money, it's a good value -- four figures plus extra parts. However, the parts are becoming a headache. All Kre-O minifigures come with parts, and if you display the robots, you've got parts with nowhere to go.

Devastator is cheaty in every mode -- build the robots and there are parts. Then there are parts just for Devastator. However, even Devastator doesn't use all the parts. I swear I'm going to lose something because there's nowhere to put all the parts.

The single figures come with display bricks, which is a good idea. I wish they were the single height bricks, though, because these are now too tall for the plastic storage boxes I use for minifigures. They also sprung for paint on all these blocks, but they all say 'Kre-O', as if there was any confusion on the matter. I'd rather this paint go on the figure. Or put the name of the character on the brick, like Lego does for its planet Star Wars sets. And, annoyingly, the combiners lack these bricks. Hook has one. None of the other Constructicons do. That's...weird.

Devastator is still pretty fun. I haven't yet determined if there's an alternate build that includes Hook. It's not included, that's for sure, which is a missed opportunity. It's big, scale wise, but still cute. Even though there are lots of cheaty parts, it's recognizably Devastator and made up of other minifigures, which is really cool. They also decided to emphasize poseability over transformation authenticity, and I kind of agree with this. I'd rather it be poseable than have a bricky, fragile mess.

I also like the individual figures. They're all different and they look pretty good, even with their stupid chest shields. They did spend some time and effort making each one unique -- some have painted treads on the legs, others have different colors. It's fun to have the teams all together.

So, overall, I'm happy with the combiners and looking forward to messing with the others. The individual bags are getting better, but I wish they'd concentrate a little more on the robots and less on the vehicles. The 'vehicles' and the 'transformations' just suck, and while it's something that Kre-O has that Lego doesn't, I'd rather see really good figures first and transformations later when they get more clever and comfortable with the size and its constraints. I don't think anyone is buying them for the vehicle modes, anyway.

[quote name='DjHero_X']Anyone in the Hampton, Va found a FoC Grimlock yet?[/QUOTE]

Check Wal-Mart. Every one I've been to this week has had both Grimlock and Blaster.

Went to the Super Wal-Mart and picked up FoC Kickback and Starscream; was on the fence on picking up BH Voyager Predaking. Was also going to pick-up FoC Sideswipe but he was cheaper on Amazon so I may just pick him up there ($16 each for Kickback and Starscream where on Amazon they're $25 each).

Didn't see Blaster or Grimlock so I was kind of sad. Hopefully by EOM I'll have pics up of my "new" bedroom i.e. the 32-year-old virgin chamber. hehe~

[quote name='def PD']Went to the Super Wal-Mart and picked up FoC Kickback and Starscream; was on the fence on picking up BH Voyager Predaking. Was also going to pick-up FoC Sideswipe but he was cheaper on Amazon so I may just pick him up there ($16 each for Kickback and Starscream where on Amazon they're $25 each).

Didn't see Blaster or Grimlock so I was kind of sad. Hopefully by EOM I'll have pics up of my "new" bedroom i.e. the 32-year-old virgin chamber. hehe~[/QUOTE]

I was on the fence about Voyager Predaking as well. After seeing him in store I've decided to wait for the Supreme Predaking and Prime. Voyager Predaking looked... cheap... in a "the plastic looks thin" kind of knockoff way. IMO anyway.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']Yeah, my friend also regrets importing the MP Soundwave after hearing about the hasbro version on the horizon this year. Hopefully, I will be able to score one.[/QUOTE]

I imported for the first time this year (Soundwave, Red Alert, and Sideswipe) and I don't regret it. TRU exclusives are such a pain to come by in my recent experience and it keeps raising prices to the point where they are getting close to imports.

Forgot to mention yesterday, I know some of you were having trouble finding Grimlock, I found 3 at Target in Riverside off Arlington.

Found the last two Kre-O minifigs at Target, which was weird. This one also had plenty of Bludgeons and Insecticons.

Bludgeon is worth it for sheer WTF value, though I think I really hate the way they did treads (for all the figures, not just Bludgeon). Good idea, bad execution. Insecticon is fairly lame and bland.

The winners of this wave are the combiners (including the extra singles), Springer, Warpath, and Airachnid.

I was going to comment on the wave as a whole, but found myself repeating what I wrote about them last time. Lego does a lot more with paint and individual items, whereas Kreons feel awfully generic. The chest shields also have to go. I really think they need to concentrate on character design first.

At a different Target, spied the Wave 2 Beast Hunters Deluxes. Bulkhead has a Roadbuster vibe, but looks goony as a Deluxe. The Cyberverse version looks much nicer. Ripclaw at least looks marginally impressive for a Deluxe, but I'm just not interested.

So torn on Grim. Love him (see my avatar for shit's sake) but he's so hollow and the tale just seems way out of proportion. Love the robot mode but I almost prefer the generations deluxe... Still a solid fig though. He's pretty easy to find around me though. Target and Walmart have had him the past handful of times I've been there. If anyone is desperate for one LMK and I can pick one up, but he should be out on shelves for a decent while longer so I wouldn't worry.

After much fiddling with new voyager Prime and Predaking... I've determined that Prime is surprisingly good and Predaking isn't the cluster I thought he would be. Both feel super super cheap, almost as bad as KO's, and desperately need paint apps, but I've just accepted that as par for the course now with the cost cutting.

Prime's an interesting mold at least, with cool Galaxy Convoy/Star Sabre homages. Predaking would be better with some ball joints at the wing base and stiffer, pinned wing folds, but is otherwise servicable.

Also got WfC Starscream who is ok, but with a few tweaks could have been pretty damned good. I still don't get that there isn't some sort of hatch to hide is bot head in jet mode.

Like Blandstalker I got Kreo Microchange Devy (and the rest of the wave, though haven't opened them) and I really really enjoy the devestator. The individual figs, like the microchange individual figs, are very hit or miss. I prefer to keep them like the Kreon's that come with the bigger sets: just the painted chest and no accessories. I really wish they all came with the cape one of them (forget which) came with though. Then you could add accessories to bot mode and still see the beautifully painted chests.

Still gotta find damned insecticon. Also never did see Airachnid, but given the terrible impressions of her I'm not too upset. Also wouldn't be surprised to see a "spikey" version before too long... sigh.

[quote name='Zmonkay']So torn on Grim. Love him (see my avatar for shit's sake) but he's so hollow and the tale just seems way out of proportion. Love the robot mode but I almost prefer the generations deluxe... Still a solid fig though. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree with you. I really like the robot mode -- substantial and tall, without significant kibble, and it feels pretty finished. While it could use maybe a bit more paint on the details, it is very well designed, colorful, and detailed. I love that the light up gimmick works well in both modes and adds to the figure.

But that hollow dinosaur and what the heck is up with that tail? I had to look at the instructions and the box to see if they were serious. It's not terrible, but boy is it a massive cheat.

I then really looked at the instructions and the box and it was just like being back in G1. That illustration of Grimlock on each looked way different from the final product. It gave me a throwback to Runabout and Runamuck, or others whose picture was vastly better than the actual product.

And it's a bit of a shame because Grimlock isn't bad. We've been subjected to far worse, and even though that tail is...odd, it looks reasonably good from most angles. I also find myself forgiving the WfC toys a little bit because they are Cybertronian, and it's not like they have to be a fixed thing.

[quote name='Zmonkay']After much fiddling with new voyager Prime and Predaking... I've determined that Prime is surprisingly good and Predaking isn't the cluster I thought he would be. [...] Prime's an interesting mold at least, with cool Galaxy Convoy/Star Sabre homages. [/QUOTE]

Interesting. I've been holding off, because I was just going to wash my hands of Beast Hunters completely, but I have to admit that Prime looks pretty good. I guess I'll pick it up on sale. It's a Prime; there will be oodles of them through next year.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Also got WfC Starscream who is ok, but with a few tweaks could have been pretty damned good. I still don't get that there isn't some sort of hatch to hide is bot head in jet mode.[/QUOTE]

Agree with this. It's not bad. I also quite like the weapon, and that they tried to give you multiple ways to use/mount it. Such an improvement over MechTech. I don't object to the head too much, but would it have killed them? Still, it's a pretty good Starscream, different from what we've been getting for him, but still Starscream-y and it's a fun toy to play with.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Like Blandstalker I got Kreo Microchange Devy (and the rest of the wave, though haven't opened them) and I really really enjoy the devestator. The individual figs, like the microchange individual figs, are very hit or miss.

Yeah, I think the combiners are where it's at for this wave. I've got Predaking assembled now, too, and it's good, too. Not wild about the generic beast heads (which all seem just a bit too big), but Predaking looks good and cute next to Devastator.

[quote name='Zmonkay']I prefer to keep them like the Kreon's that come with the bigger sets: just the painted chest and no accessories. I really wish they all came with the cape one of them (forget which) came with though. Then you could add accessories to bot mode and still see the beautifully painted chests.[/QUOTE]

This is the single stupidest thing they've done with the Kreons. Razorclaw has a beautiful lion's head painted on his chest -- seriously, it rivals anything Lego has done -- and the stupid shield completely covers it up. Aargh! When I get some time, I'm breaking out the dremel tool because you can see how much better they look here. Why can't Hasbro do that?

[quote name='Zmonkay']Still gotta find damned insecticon. Also never did see Airachnid, but given the terrible impressions of her I'm not too upset. Also wouldn't be surprised to see a "spikey" version before too long... sigh.[/QUOTE]

I think they're both worth getting. Neither is great. Both have limitations. But both are also interesting. I don't understand why I kind of like Insecticon, other than they just tried really hard to give it lots of cool stuff, even if it didn't all succeed. Airachnid is just disappointing because it's not nearly as cool as the show model. For a Deluxe sized toy, it's not a bad attempt, but the robot suffers from trying to get the vehicle to look good. However, I was much more disappointed by Knockout and Kup.

I only saw Airachnid once in stores. Once! I've at least seen Insecticon twice, though stores seem to be concentrating on Beast Hunters right now and not Generations.

I understand the chest covers, at least on Devy, as they cover up the detail in combined mode to give uniform green "legs". But would have really cost extra to include those for that purpose and a couple "capes" for individual bot modes? I'm hesitent to dremel because then it throws off the uniformity of combined mode.

Just got shipping notice from Amazon for the Platinum edition Omega Surpreme. I didn't even realize it had a release date yet from them.

[quote name='pjb16']Just got shipping notice from Amazon for the Platinum edition Omega Surpreme. I didn't even realize it had a release date yet from them.[/QUOTE]

Same here! Expected delivery date of 3/14-3/18. I got my shelves up in my room so hopefully soon I'll be able to post some pics of my modest collection (have been collecting for about 3 years now).

Just got my YotS Omega Supreme! Super sweet box, and the figure is fairly large (definitely bigger than Amazon's Unicron), but surprisingly light. Can't wait to put him on the shelf next to my other figures. Should have pics up by the weekend!

ordered FoC kickback from amazon and I got the toy with the card folded back and not sealed all the way....WTF. Can't even get a replacement since their sold out

bread's done
Back