10% off disc10
Latest Transformers news:

• Dark of the Moon toyline to be released at retail on May 15, 2011
  • Transformers Prime toyline to be released at retail in October 2011
Latest Transformers figures available at retail now:

• Generations Warpath, Kup, and Scourge
  • Dark of the Moon Preview Pack Cyberverse Optimus Prime

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the YotH Starscream at tru in Lafayette, IN. I still can't find Kre-o wave 4 yet. Only place who has had the minifigs in the past are TRU and Target and Target still has wave 3 out.

That Target 2 pack of Prime vs. Megatron "build a transformer" set is down to 7 bucks plus change, at least in some areas.  Picked one up, so tell me how crappy they are... :)

Picked up one of those leader (or whatever they're called) class Predaking's for 75% (with red card) off at Target last night. I don't collect BH but my oldest liked Prime toys so I figure I couldn't pass it up at that price. Gonna put it away until his birthday in a couple months.

That Target 2 pack of Prime vs. Megatron "build a transformer" set is down to 7 bucks plus change, at least in some areas. Picked one up, so tell me how crappy they are... :)
As a whole the Constructo-bots aren't completely awful, but they're not like other TF toys. Somewhere between Bionicle and the Megablok rip-offs of Bionicle, the Constructo-bots are ... interesting. The idea, I guess is to have figures where you can swap parts from one bot to another. This means they're mostly for kids, since collectors generally want to collect a particular charcter, not mix that character's bits with another character's bits. I've got most of the figures now (not sure about the Predaking Target exclusive) and they're all based on the same basic skeleton with different body parts snapped on to flesh out the particular character.

For example, Megs has a cannon and shin, arm, and shoulder bits that make him look generally like Megatron and mostly like a tank when you fold him in half (which is how pretty much all of these guys "transform"). Optimus has red and blue truck-like bits for his shins, arms, some wheels, etc. You're hopefully getting a pretty good picture of how these toys work. As I mentioned you essentially fold them in half and peg the arms to the ankles/calves to "transform" them. There's usually a chest piece that can unpeg and swing up and over the head to hide it in their alt mode. Some of them, the head folds into the chest and then you swing up a piece to make the cockpit of the plane, or the cab of the truck or what have you.

Again, they're not terrible, just not really like any other TF toys. For the most part, the color scheme and the head molds are the only bits that look like the characters being represented. Both are sort of G1-ish, but not consistently. I've gotten some poor quality control on a couple of my guys where the wrong colored bits are in the package (though the correct mold), or the head is missing paint apps. For example, the first Starscream I got only had half of his head painted such that he was exactly bisected vertically down the center of his face; one half painted, the other the generic grey of the piece.

Why do I buy them if they kinda sorta maybe suck a little bit? Well they're actually kinda sorta fun to play with, the bigger ones come with plastic snap-close cases that hold all the parts, I like building stuff, and I'm a whore when it comes to my favorite brands. -__-

And yes I freely admit that I'm less than two years from 40 and still play with toys.

For less than 4 bucks a piece, I like them ok.  For full price, no way.  Are they actually continuing this line (because the movie toys are coming to choke the aisles)?

Also found that 2pack on clearance, haven't built them yet though.  The line seems dumb as hell to me, but I figured for that price I can at least say I have something from it.

Anyone else get Age of Extinction First Edition Prime from Amazon?  What a fucking piece of shit.  In picks, the vacuum metal parts looked great and reminded me of the good old days of the later Beast Wars figs.  In hand... the thing just feels cheap.  If I saw this at a garage sale I'd think it was a decent KO fig.  Ratchet joints, hollow feeling, doesn't hardly weigh anything despite it's size, simple transformation, giant backpack... ugh.  I was pleasantly surprised he has rubber tires though.  So there's that.

Really really hope this isn't a sign of things to come...  Looks like we'll find out, what with Toy Fair being this weekend.  From what little has been shown thus far I can at least say I really like the art direction/designs used for the movie.  It'd be doubly disappointment to get such cool designs but not get good toys from them.

I was going to get it, but I missed the very first offering. Then I read the Amazon reviews.

The one star reviews are pretty hilarious, but they largely say what you just did:  cheap, KO quality, flat appearance/lack of paint, laughably simplistic.  I just don't understand Hasbro.  They will do things for collectors, like MP Soundwave, but then they do things like this, which are overpriced, poor quality cash grabs.  You would think they would put at least a little quality into their "Premium" line...

On to Armada Starscream -- who knew this would restore my faith?  I had Armada Starscream and sold it because it was bricky, unconvincing, and the poor gimmick gave it a terrible backpack.  The final straw for me was the robot arms, which just hung there in plane mode, like they gave up and hoped no one would notice.

When I saw Armada Starscream as a Generations, my first thought was "Who wanted this?"  I certainly didn't.  I almost didn't buy it.

That would have been a shame, because this is Armada Starscream done right.  The robot mode is great.  The only backpack is a set of missile launchers, and they fold pretty flat.  Poseability is there, and they got the look of the figure without the crazy bulk of the original.  (If you had one, you'd know:  you had to make room, because while he looked fine from the front, he took up a whole lotta space for one insanely large backside).

The jet is very different.  They actually figured out what to do with the arms.  The jet itself is much sleeker and feels like it could fly.

Both robot and jet feel like the original, but streamlined.  All the chunk is gone.  What's left is a lithe jet and robot that transforms and poses well.

Plastic quality is good.  There are landing gear and dual foldaway swords that store under the wings unobtrusively.  (These are more Cybertron in style, but they look great and are a much better idea than the original wing sword.)

The only thing I don't like is the color scheme.  The original Armada Starscream wasn't great.  It was actually a bit more red, which I prefer, since the new one is a bit more magenta.  That clashes even worse with the overly bright yellow and muted grey.  In all, it's a color scheme that...doesn't really work.

But, honestly: I don't care.  It's a great Transformer.  Even if you're an Armada Starcream hater, the Generations version might actually make you like him.

Got Whirl and Doubledealer in the mail today.  I hope Whirl is good.

nice about the armada starscream.  i still have mine sealed, so i didnt know about the problems.  i may pick one of these up.

i too need a review on your new generations figures

Can't wait to hear your opinion of Whirl. I think Armada Starscream is a decent figure, but since I despise Armada... :p
The thing about the new Armada Starscream is that it removes all the things I hated about Armada, except perhaps the color scheme.

Whirl is pretty darned good.

I have a fondness for Whirl. I always wanted a G1 Whirl, but it was one of those figures that was available at only a few stores and I never had a lot of money as a kid. I loved the helicopter form, the color, the uniqueness of it. When I finally had saved some money, I went to Toy City to get one, only they had none left. Only Roadbuster.

I eventually picked up Whirl many years later. As with many G1 figures, it was a brick. It was still awesome in the way Roadbuster was.

Generations Whirl was obviously designed by someone who obsessed about Whirl as much as I did. The color is there -- a little darker and not quite so powder blue -- as is the design. This is Whirl, and many elements of the design go right back to the original.

And yet, it's updated, too. Unlike the original Whirl, there's poseability in arms and legs. There are a lot of ways to pose it, with joints, swivels, and parts that twist and turn. Yet, it still has the original claws and the shoulder mechanism is reminiscent.

Whirl loses a little of the sleek helicopter form from G1. Not too much, though -- looking at both forms, you can appreciate how they really tried to maintain the original look.

Quality issues -- for the most part -- have swung back the other direction. When I opened this up, I kept thinking it was a third party product, and I mean that in a good way. High quality plastic, different color blues, neither of which is garish or kiddy, paint that accentuates the design -- this is the polar opposite of MInicon Assault Team. This feels like a toy made for adults and collectors.

There's a maturity to this that I didn't even see with Springer and Sandstorm, and I liked them. Even the bright yellow rotors don't feel kiddy. The yellows have been downright ugly lately (Minicon Assault Team and Armada Starscream), and it's not distracting here. These colors coordinate, and they gave Whirl a nice set of blue tones and blue accent paint that matches so well that you have to look twice to see what's painted and what's molded.

It comes with stickers. This is also an homage to G1, as both Roadbuster and Whirl had decal-like stickers (clear, instead of foil or opaque). I really don't want to go down this route long term, but for Whirl it's...nice, I guess? Except for the Autobot symbol, Whirl doesn't need decoration. He's already got more paint than half the things Hasbro has offered up recently, so it's not like they are replacing paint apps with decals. That would be my biggest concern. I have left them off and it looks fine.

Transformation is a mix of intuitive and unusual. Whirl comes in robot form and his feet aren't extended right. I had to break out the instructions to figure this out, and even they weren't helpful. The way the helicopter tail is handled is also intriguing. It makes for a pretty small backpack, considering it's a helicopter.

Whirl has some parts that look like they might be trouble -- those black shoulder joints -- but the figure feels solid. The knees are double jointed, and the second joint is very difficult to move. I worry about the amount of force needed to move what is a small joint. The tail assembly could have been horrible, but it's solid, too. This is refreshing after Minicon Assault Team, with its thin plastic and parts that fall off.

There's only one thing I'm not wild about, and I understand why they did it. The feet are...different. Whirl is digitigrade, with strange feet and knees that go the other direction. I think they did this for the walker mode, but I'd rather just have a normal robot, thanks. The original Whirl had huge clodhopper feet.. so it's not unexpected that the feet would be different. You can turn the legs around 180 and it will work that way -- it doesn't look as nice, but it does work. I still wish they had given the option for normal (or close to normal) robot feet. It doesn't seem like it would have taken too much to do.

The accessories are unpainted, but they make up for it with flexibility. You can put them in various spots and clip them together. They are also an homage to the original accessories. The helicopter looks good with or without them -- they are not nearly as large and cartoony as some recent weapons.

Stability is good in robot and helicopter modes (I haven't messed with the walker mode yet). My Whirl is misassembled and I don't know if this is just mine or if all of them will be like this. There actually is a good set of tabs and locks, and one of mine -- a tab that's on one arm that should lock into the leg and make the whole helicopter body solid -- is backwards. It's a bit of a disappointment. However, it still holds together pretty well. Better than Springer, at any rate.

There's a little gappiness to the helicopter and it's not as smooth as the original. However, I have to say that overall, I think it's very strong. In my mind, Whirl had a lot to live up to and this pretty much nails it.

From the pictures, I was afraid this was going to be a spindly, monochromatic mess. I have also seen many wannabe Whirls over the years, from the recolor of Blackout to the Human Alliance version that didn't think the original's feet were big enough. This is the first that can stand with the original.

Bottom line: It's a great update of a G1 toy. There are a few downsides, but the overall quality and the upsides more than make up for them. Looks great in both modes, enjoyable transformation, and a third mode as a bonus. Well worth $20.

I saw the Platinum Edition Starscream in TRU a week or so ago. Totally not worth it IMO. Easily a $100 much better spent on the MP-11 Coronation Starscream reissue. 

Anyone willing to share their opinions/experiences with the Transformers Collectors Club?

Also I really like (in theory at least while looking at them) the Japanese GO! figures combiners. Does anyone have somewhere they could guide me to that would show or describe to me the possible combinations and which ones can connect, etc. Any information would be helpful. Really liking the new Optimus combination pictures I see.

Thanks!

Eh, quakewave is pretty close, I can wait.

Just bought one of those Hasbro Omega's, because of the maketoys add on that's coming out.  Ugh, I'm so weak.

Anyone willing to share their opinions/experiences with the Transformers Collectors Club?
Short version: They are a bunch of clowns.

Long version: Don't bother unless you are a completist or you're really into the recolors they produce.

I joined to get Runabout and Runamuck.

That was the year TFCC was compromised and credit card info was stolen. In their case, it was because they had an outdated, dimestore web front end. Ordering from it was horrible. Their account system was horrible.

To top it off, they tried to pass the buck and say it wasn't their fault, until it was proved that yes, it indeed was.

The figures are fine, though personally I find most of them garish and/or ugly. Your club "membership" grants you the privilege of getting the special figures, Botcon figures, a laughable newsletter, and the ability to buy older exclusives that are eyesores at a modest discount.

I will say that they delivered my order without issue. I have no complaints with what I ordered or the state in which it arrived. I am not quite wild about sending figures in bags, but they did include a collector box, so that's a wash.

After the credit card issue and the fiasco surrounding it, I vowed never again. I haven't even been remotely tempted by anything offered since. The Depth Charge/Terradive recolor is nice and were it available at retail, I would buy it for $20 or less, but I don't love it enough to pay a premium or deal with them ever again. Nothing else has come on my radar as something I would spend money on.

I think it's telling that there have been other folks here who would rather pay extra and order their figures from BBTS than deal with TFCC.

I will also say that TFCC makes HasbroToyShop.com look good by comparison, so that's something, too.

Thank you blandstalker for that very enlightening read. I'll stay far away I think. 

I'll ask again just in hopes someone missed my other question; Anyone have any experience with the Japanese GO! combiners?

Thank you blandstalker for that very enlightening read. I'll stay far away I think.

I'll ask again just in hopes someone missed my other question; Anyone have any experience with the Japanese GO! combiners?
I have the first one (the Samurai one). It's... ok. I wouldn't go out of my way to get it or anything. The police car is hindered by the light and sound gimmick (and huge battery pack), they basically each come with gigantic parts to form the head that otherwise combine into an unconvincing weapon, and as is the nature with these things, the various forms are top heavy or bottom heavy or very cluttered. They're also a pain and a half to combine (though the transformations for the individual robots are pretty basic).

That said, I ordered the Optimus and I'm still contemplating the ninja set, basically because I have no common sense.

Hasbrotoyshop.com currently has Rhinox, Whirl, and the newest wave of Generations deluxes (mincon team, scoop, etc) available.  Free ship over 50 bucks, use code 10HTSDISC for 10% off.

Too bad still no Skids nor Waspinator, but otherwise I think I'm finally caught up.

Unpainted prototype pics of Masterpiece Bumblebee, with, presumably, Spike in a transforming exo-suit, have surfaced.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-masterpiece-47/mp-21-masterpiece-bumblebee-prototype-image-179432/

One of the designers said in an interview that since the Takara / Tomy merger, it's been easier to negotiate with car companies for licensing because of Tomy's Tomica toy car line.  Hopefully that means Porsche will also be on board and the entire 1984 line can eventually be done MP style.

I've been waiting for some news on this one for a while. The exo suit Spike is a pleasant surprise. This is a definite must buy for me. I can't even scoff at the price point either.

Unpainted prototype pics of Masterpiece Bumblebee, with, presumably, Spike in a transforming exo-suit, have surfaced.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-masterpiece-47/mp-21-masterpiece-bumblebee-prototype-image-179432/

One of the designers said in an interview that since the Takara / Tomy merger, it's been easier to negotiate with car companies for licensing because of Tomy's Tomica toy car line. Hopefully that means Porsche will also be on board and the entire 1984 line can eventually be done MP style.
I thought the whole deal with Bumblebee was that Volkswagen didn't want their brand associated with anything war-like? I mean, Bumblebee wasn't exactly a warrior in the classic days but he still comes with a gun...

Was Hound an actual Jeep or just a facsimile of one that they could make without actually licensing the brand?

I'll get into the details later, but

Rhinox is awesome.  Get it.  Best $20 spent on Transformers in a long, long time.  Much as I like Whirl, Rhinox is even better.  Both of them should not be missed.

Scoop, on the other hand, is rather meh.

I happen to be in Indianapolis for Comic Con which was a failure (they  were at capacity)  but I decided to stop by TRU before I left and found YotH Optimus Prime. They had three on the shelf and I snagged one. They also had a YotH Starscream marked down to $89 because it was open. I looked in the window and it was flopped over to one side and not in place at all. Pretty pumped about Prime cause I missed the last time he was at TRU

Full color pic of MP Wheeljack, plus a silhouette teasing MP Ultra Magnus and design drawing of MP Star Saber.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-masterpiece-47/masterpiece-wheeljack-full-color-image-mp-ultra-magnus-teaser-179516/

I thought the whole deal with Bumblebee was that Volkswagen didn't want their brand associated with anything war-like? I mean, Bumblebee wasn't exactly a warrior in the classic days but he still comes with a gun...

Was Hound an actual Jeep or just a facsimile of one that they could make without actually licensing the brand?
The war toy reasoning was what I'd always heard with regard to VW and Porsche, but Tomy's relationship with those automakers has apparently opened some doors. I've also read some speculation that the brand exposure other companies got from the Bay films may have also been a factor.

So finally got around to opening my Whirl and Rhinox.  Rhinox is amazing.  Simply amazing.  Only complaint is I wish he had some paint apps on his weapons.  That's IT.  Otherwise a fantastic sculpt matched with an interesting but not overly convoluted transformation.

Whirl on the other hand... ugh.  Decent bot mode, but the copter mode just isn't jiving for me.  I especially dislike that there's a gap between the cockpit and where his legs fold up against it.  Makes them look like they're just kinda... there.  Biggest offender by far are the stickers though.  I like the idea.  Hell, on Metroplex I LOVED the idea.  Very poorly implemented for Whirl though.  The "instructions" are often incorrect or unclear, the way the stickers are done half the time you can't even SEE them on him unless you know where they are, they're often too big for the area they are supposed to go on, and Whirl doesn't have any sculpted areas that the stickers are sized to to help you know where to put them. 

Metroplex did stickers so well.  All his stickers fit in very specific sculpted grooves and for the most part were sized correctly.  With Whirl, it's like the stickers Kre-O figs come with in that you just kinda... put them roughly centered in an area, so they look very cheap.

the new transformers movie will move lots of dinobots.  those were good times. hahaha

Targets are clearing Beast Hunters stuff, so now is a good time if you want any of the Voyagers or Abominus or what seems to be the army of Sky Bytes.  Age of Extinction will be out soon.  I am very glad to say goodbye to the unchanging displays of Beast Hunters.

Anyone interested in a MISB TRU Commemorative Perceptor? Would rather offer it up here before throwing it up on ebay. Will also consider trading for Lego sets

F394D9D2-DE5E-49DF-8F3B-BE6CBC6376AB_zps8on1robv.jpg

Found Cosmos at Target this afternoon. They also had AoE voyagers Grimlock and Prime. I like Evasion Prime's alt mode but I'll wait for a sale rather than spend $25 on him

New figures coming soon!  Finally something to talk about again haha.  But yeah, another batch of price increases (Voyagers going up to 25 :(

Stumbled upon a Grimlock and Evasion Prime, picked up both.

Grimlock is... OK. Not terrible, but nothing special. His weapon is pretty stupid, and it's "storage" in dino mode is laughable. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ChErikS/media/TF4%20Voyagers/VoyGrim13.jpg.html

Evasion Prime, on the other hand, is pretty friggin sweet! More bot mode paint apps would have made it one of my favorite Primes ever. He might be what finally gets me to buy a friggin silver sharpie... Very clever transformation that actually reminds me more than a bit of the old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle figures I had that went from turtle to vehicle by basically inverting.

Grimlock reminds me of TransMetals 2, and not in a good way.  The robot mode looks decent.  The dinosaur looks like a mess.  It also doesn't look anywhere near as nice as the concept photos (big surprise there).  It is sort of Transmetal Megatron filtered through the TM2/BH spiky/crazy filter.  I won't be dropping $25 on that, though I may pick it up eventually on the strength of the robot mode.

I picked up an Ultimate BH Prime because it was $17.  I've seen Cosmos and Swerve a couple times now, but no AoE stuff.   I can't justify $10 for Cosmos, so I'll wait on that one.

Speaking of good deals!

Amazon has B1G1 50% off a lot of the initial batch of figs:

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=s9_acss_bw_hsb_toyshome_s1/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&node=9153876011&pf_rd_i=165793011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=1806444822&pf_rd_r=0EP43KACSJNQGCEPH5NJ&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_t=101&tag=n1tfs-20&linkId=S3DIZ5TROL7OWQPF

Walmart has buy a Leader, get a free Deluxe:

Amazon is technically the better deal, but for some reason doesn't have Leader Grimlock, so I got everything through Amazon (including an evasion prime and voyager grim to return to walmart with my receipt from last night) and got the leaders+2 deluxes through walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Transformers-Age-of-Extinction-Generations-Leader-Figure-with-Bonus-Deluxe-Figure/36575575

Speaking of good deals!

Amazon has B1G1 50% off a lot of the initial batch of figs:

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=s9_acss_bw_hsb_toyshome_s1/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&node=9153876011&pf_rd_i=165793011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=1806444822&pf_rd_r=0EP43KACSJNQGCEPH5NJ&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_t=101&tag=n1tfs-20&linkId=S3DIZ5TROL7OWQPF

Walmart has buy a Leader, get a free Deluxe:

Amazon is technically the better deal, but for some reason doesn't have Leader Grimlock, so I got everything through Amazon (including an evasion prime and voyager grim to return to walmart with my receipt from last night) and got the leaders+2 deluxes through walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Transformers-Age-of-Extinction-Generations-Leader-Figure-with-Bonus-Deluxe-Figure/36575575
Leader grimlock is on the second page of the Amazon Deal.

Is it just me, or do the Deluxes look really terrible?  What is going on with Bumblebee's midsection?  Crosshairs has a roof (or hood) dangling from his butt and a major case of wHy my shOulDers hURt.  It's the worst of G1 and Energon in one package of pain.  Drift looks marginally better, but that head makes him look like he belongs in the knock-off section of Big Lots or that he's a forgotten Power Lord.

The movie robots have had some really ugly design choices before, but some of these don't even look like real product.  They also look like they're either (1) awful or (2) shellformers.

I think I am going to be real conservative with these, especially as DotM had a lot of toys that really weren't particularly good.  Slug, Evasion Prime, Voyager Hound (maybe, if it's not an unpainted brick), and maybe a few more, but that's it for now.

Crosshairs has a roof (or hood) dangling from his butt and a major case of wHy my shOulDers hURt.
A fellow fan of Ben's (BWTF.com) raiting system I see :D

But yeah, Crosshairs has all that kibble to replicate his trench coat in the movie, but it doesn't seem very effective. I'm concerned I may already have the best fig of the line (Evasion Prime [Yum! Jam!]) and the rest will just be a disappointment...

I received my Amazon order today: Slag, Evasion Prime, and Legos.  I am not calling it "Slug".

Slag is pretty good for a Deluxe.  In some ways it reminds me of DinoZaurs, but more Transformery.  This movie has a spiky, ribbed, aesthetic which I am still warming to.  Still, it works.  You get the sense of a dinosaur, dinosaur bones, and a giant murder machine. 

The quality of plastic seems to have gone up.  Plastic is shiny and not dull and flat.  It doesn't feel or look as cheap.  There is a smell when you open the package that's different, though not offensive.  It might be the soft plastic, which makes up the horns, jaws, and swords.  [Smelling it now, a few hours later, there's no odor unless I directly smell the soft plastic parts.]

Articulation of the dinosaur is okay.   Not much to speak of in the rear legs.  Front legs have some posing, and you can open and close the jaw.  You can't move the head or tail, though you can bend the tail because it is soft.

Transformation is more than just stand and flatten, which is usually my big complaint with beasts/dragons/animals.  It is not super complicated, but it's enough.  The way the dino chest becomes the arms is impressive.

Slag the robot is also impressive.  Decent articulation, nice color choices.  As always, there could be more paint or detail, but he doesn't seem starved for paint or unfinished.   All the spiky molding works in its favor here, but so does the paint and plastic choices.

There are some problems.  The first is that the front dino legs and the dino head are kibble and they get in the way.  There's nowhere for the front legs to go, and they just hang off the back of the robot.  They get in the way when you move the arms or shoulders and they don't lock down.  The head looks pretty good as the shoulders, but also gets in the way a bit.  Not as bad as the front legs, but with both of them, it's a bit much.  It's almost a shame that they didn't just make this a four-armed robot. 

[Edit: the dino legs are supposed to peg into the robot back, in the same holes that the chest peg into for dino mode.  The instructions actually say this.  They don't stay in on mine, and if anything, it makes the kibble problem worse because the arms then stick out more to the side.  Points for effort, I guess.]

The dino tail folds up but also has nowhere good to go, and becomes a robot tail.  You can fold it up, but it looks worse and interferes with the waist turn. 

There are also two design choices that really bug me: the head and the elf boots.  The head is not very Transformery at all.  It's supposed to be a Dinobot.  Would it have killed them to give it a proper head?  The elf boots are just silly.   It looks like both of these are part of the aesthetic for the whole line -- Grimlock's boots, Drift's head, etc.   Perhaps I will warm to them.  It's better than a robo-mullet, I suppose, and some of the horrid melty/ugly faces from previous movies.

The swords are nice, even if they are soft plastic.  They are less 'foamy' than some previous soft weapons and they have the appearance of hard plastic.  You can put them on the side of Slag's dinosaur mode, but this looks silly.   It's a shame they can't be mounted, say, on his dino shoulders facing forward.

Slag is way better than a DinoZaur, and the quality is much higher than that line could ever produce.   Were it not for the front dino legs, this would be a home run.  Overall, I think it's a strong figure, brought down by the dino kibble. 

Undocumented feature: If you tilt the head down in robot mode and then try to transform Slag into a dinosaur, it will launch the robot head across the room. 

Haha yeah, most of the dinos definitely remind me of dinozaurs.  Though done better in most ways imho.  I dig the style though.

Keep finagling the various joints with Slug/Slag and you'll get the legs to peg into the sides.  I thought I had a similar issue but it's just a very specific orientation of all the random joints that you need.

"Auto-launching heads" must be a new play feature, as my Leader Prime (which is quite meh, so glad I got him b1g1 50% off through Amazon) has that issue.  It's supposed to pop up when you put down a chest flap, but the head ball joint is so loose on mine his head goes flying.  Kinda funny actually.

Also, be sure to pick up Scorn (the spinasourus).  Everyone needs Scorn.  Everyone.  Such a fantastic figure.  Only knock is his lance weapon is his hand instead of bothering to mold a hand holding it.

So I went looking for some of these new toys at a TRU near my office yesterday. All they had in stock were the gimmicky little-kid versions, none of the regular Transformer figures. I gotta say, these 1-step changers and flip-and-change guys are just a pile of peg and shelf warming trash. I can't imagine any kid young enough to need such a simplified toy is going to have any clue about this movie or have parents that will take him/her to see it. And any kid already familiar with TF toys will not want such simple toys.

Anyway, I was intrigued by the idea of Optimus riding Grimlock, so I picked up the build-a-bot figures of Grimlock and the little Optimus figure that can ride him. As you may recall, I'm like the one person who doesn't find the build-a-bots to be a complete waste. :)

Long story short, the Grimlock figure looks best in robot mode, his dino mode is a bit wide (no fattys please) because of the way you have to peg his robot arms to his sides. The movement feature (rotating a gear with your finger makes his head bob up and down and his jaws snap) isn't too gimmicky and his color scheme and overall design isn't too bad. In dino mode, he's actually kinda fun. As for the small Optimus that can ride him, they did a lot with a very little. These dino-rider guys are small, a little more than twice as big as one of those Bot Shots figures. There's basic articulation similar to a legends or scout class standard TF. They can fold up into a vehicle mode. And there's little bar in the crotch area that snaps into a saddle of sorts on Grimlock's back so Optimus can actually ride him. The only thing that's missing is Optimus' sword, he only comes with a gun.

I agree that the colors and simplicity of these toys do seem like little more than glorified Happy Meal toys, but if Happy Meal toys were this good when I was a kid, I never would have needed a trip to TRU or KayBee.

Anyone notice that every Deluxe Hound is mistransformed in package?

Also the rerelease of MP Grimlock has been spotted in the US for $60

By spotted you mean "instore".

Also $60? This makes me wonder if its of a cheaper quality than the previous one. I recall that one was $90 bucks at retail.

bread's done
Back