10% off disc10
Latest Transformers news:

• Dark of the Moon toyline to be released at retail on May 15, 2011
  • Transformers Prime toyline to be released at retail in October 2011
Latest Transformers figures available at retail now:

• Generations Warpath, Kup, and Scourge
  • Dark of the Moon Preview Pack Cyberverse Optimus Prime

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick note that Motormaster, the Stunticons, and all the recent Combiner Wars legends are back in stock at HasbroToyShop.com, and the FAMILY2015 code for 20% off and free shipping is still active.

I haven't had time for a review, but Bombshell and Powerglide are definitely worth picking up, especially at 20% off.
Good thing I check this thread. Didn't think anything I'd want would show up after my order last week, but I was able to pick up the Stunticon team! Back to Target my unopened Aerialbots go, now that I'll have a nicer Combiner team on the way.

antiamelane, those picture links aren't working for me, is your post about the Platinum Edition Soundwave at TRU? If so, has anyone seen this in store? I'm hesitant to plunk down that much dough for an oddly colored (IMHO), clear-body Soundwave, even if he comes with appears to be a full set of Recordicons.

antiamelane, those picture links aren't working for me, is your post about the Platinum Edition Soundwave at TRU? If so, has anyone seen this in store? I'm hesitant to plunk down that much dough for an oddly colored (IMHO), clear-body Soundwave, even if he comes with appears to be a full set of Recordicons.
I've seen similar posts by antiamelane in other threads. Just signed up 5 days ago, isn't there a wait period before newbies can link images?

Haven't seen the Platinum Soundwave in stores, but it's available online, as is the Platinum Optimus (G2 Laser Prime mold) in similar coloring. Soundwave has the 5 '84 cassettes, but doesn't appear to include a Ratbat.

I've seen similar posts by antiamelane in other threads. Just signed up 5 days ago, isn't there a wait period before newbies can link images?

Haven't seen the Platinum Soundwave in stores, but it's available online, as is the Platinum Optimus (G2 Laser Prime mold) in similar coloring. Soundwave has the 5 '84 cassettes, but doesn't appear to include a Ratbat.
Don't forget that he's also ugly as fuck... I'm glad he doesn't include Ratbat (as that might push me to get him haha... I still need a Ratbat...)

Really, though, the limbs all can either be an arm or a leg for any combiner. So if you or your son don't care that much about the actual characters (which it doesn't seem like you do, and if you do, you'll probably have problems with the Alpha Bravo anyway), you can get four of any combination of deluxes and any voyager and make a combiner.
My son cares about the actual characters. Thanks I didn't realize any can be used but he would want them to be correct for the combiner.

Went and had a booth at a local collector show today. Made a good amount selling some Animated and movie figures. Surprised at how much I sold really. Best part was I scored and unopened MP Bumblebee for $60. It's not the battle mask version but I am happy since it was a good price and I didn't have to pay shipping or sales tax

The local vintage toy store has parking lot shows 2-3 times a year. I've been selling at them for years but after this last show I am almost out of stuff to sell, unless I start to unload my vast Lego collection in the future

Really long post, since I've saved stuff that I haven't been able to complete until now.

Reviews of Motormaster, Huffer, Blackjack, the Stunticons, and Menasor

^ As is Blackjack!

Stunticons haven't shipped for me, but Motormaster is very diasppointing, Warrior Class Prime (RID2015) is good but feels like an upscaled legends commander figure, and I really like Warrior Class Drift (RID2015) even though he has almost the exact same transformation as BB he's a completely new mold.
I got my Stunticons from HasbroToyShop. More on them later. You were right about Motormaster, sadly

Huffer:

In short : Ugh, don't bother

Huffer had a pretty terrible G1 toy that was only redeemed by its transformation being pretty much unique. But it was stumpy, with smokestack arms and a plate head.

Combiner Wars Huffer is an immediate improvement, and I was impressed with the figure in the packaging.

Then I took it out. And a leg fell off.

Transforming Huffer is an exercise in frustration as both legs popped off, the tabs refused to lock together, and the whole thing just feels like it doesn't want to lock in. Eventually it does.

You are rewarded with a strange looking truck. The legs are pretty much undisguised and the wind shields don't look right in either mode.

It's better than G1 Huffer, but what wouldn't be? I didn't realize this was a recolored Prime. It kind of works as Huffer, but you'd think with this being a recycled mold, they'd get the legs right.

Verdict: Not worth $10, and I will probably keep it in robot mode.

Blackjack

In short: Now that's more like it! Awesome!

Blackjack has a design that's more ambitious than some Deluxes. Also, even with its small scale, it has painted details in both modes, less panels hanging off the arms, and a backpack that doesn't hamper.

Slightly disappointing that the wheel rims aren't painted, which would really complete the look of the toy. I guess that's just not part of this scale.

Apart from that, I really like it. Elegant but simple transformation, great proportions, and fun to transform and pose. I like it even better than RiD2015 Drift

Verdict: Better than some Deluxes. Worth getting, and the Combiner Wars integration is a bonus. Or it would be if it worked.

Motormaster :

In short: See what I said for Voyager Prime, with added disappointment

On the one hand, Motormaster is a fantastic update. Vehicle mode looks great, and substantially different than Prime. Same for robot mode. There is enough difference in paint and resculpting that they look and feel completely different. I am not ashamed to own both.

Motormaster also had an unfortunate G1 toy. It was an ambitious design that just really didn't work, although -- like Huffer -- it was something that hadn't been seen before. But it had board-like arms, ridiculous 'feet', and the head was just part of an unmoveable rectangular brick.

Combiner Wars gives us a Motormaster that looks so much better by ditching the trailer. I'll take that, especially since the robot mode is so good looking.

Combined mode, before you strap the other limbs to it, also looks fantastic. Better than Prime, even, because the colors are coordinated and it looks more finished. The black, silver, and grey looks unified and it doesn't feel quite so unpainted as Prime.

So what happened? Well, when you put the limbs on, you have a severe case of old man pants. This, if anything, looks worse than Prime.

Technically, it's the same flavor of bad and the same problem. The 'waist' is jacked up so high that it looks pretty bad, and you can only compensate by repositioning the legs so much. The best 'fix' still looks pretty ridiculous.

This looked bad on Prime, but we really didn't have an Ultra Prime before. There were no expectations to disappoint and we all knew it was recolored Motormaster. Motormaster and Menasor are a different matter.

We know what Menasor is supposed to look like, and while Motormaster looked pretty terrible in G1, Menasor looked decent. And Combiner Wars Menasor looks so much worse than Superion.

But more on Menasor later.

Verdict: Worth owning, especially if you didn't get Combiner Wars Prime. But, sadly, it's better as a single figure than a combiner.

And now, on to the new stuff:

Dead End

In short: Best Combiner Wars figure yet. I wish all Generations/Combiner Wars were this good

Dead End is seriously awesome. Someone went the extra mile and made sure that Dead End had a killer paint job, a terrific car mode, and a nicely decorated robot mode that is different than the other Stunticons.

Where do I even start? Car mode is beautiful. The car is sleek and elegant. It has a metallic bronze racing stripe, a decepticon emblem on the hood, silver accents on the hood, gunmetal accents on the doors, and silver wheel rims. The plastic is swirly red, which gives the figure interest even where it is largely one color. It is gorgeous in a way that I am unused to seeing on Hasbro products.

Transformation is elegant. The rear parts of the car open up (which also helps to lock the car mode together), then fold back to create the lower legs. Fists fold out, shoulders rise, and the hood becomes a backpack. It is similar to Breakdown, Offroad, and Dragstrip, but different.

Robot mode has metallic bronze and gunmetal accents and a variety of color. Not quite as much paint as car mode, but I am not complaining.

Dead End is similar to RiD2015 Drift, but better in every conceivable way, from the clearance to the variety of paint and color. Hell, Dead End actually looks like one of Hasbro's photoshop jobs, but it's real.

Dead End makes a serviceable limb for Menasor, but there are some limitations, which I'll save for talking about Menasor.

Verdict: Buy this even if you hate Menasor, Stunticons, and Dead End. It's that good. Encourage Hasbro to do this more often. I may even buy another one, just so I can have the figure separate from Menasor. It's going into my list of favorites.

Breakdown

In short: Not quite as awesome or elegant as Dead End, but also really good.

Like Dead End, Breakdown's car mode is beautiful. The car a nice off-white, which I really appreciate since I think many of the bright white Transformers look cheap. There's the expected red accent, blue trim along the bottom, silver accents and a decepticon symbol on the hood, and painted wheel rims. The rear half of the vehicle is missing some love, being largely unpainted. It needs something. Overall, though, it looks great.

Transformation is a little more fiddly. It's different than the other Stunticons and it involves an extra hinge inside the legs. It's not impossible, but it's a little less elegant and difficult. Breakdown also seems to be hard to completely tab together in the sense that the tabs and locks are very tight. I'll take that over not having enough of them or them being inadequate, though. Breakdown has swivels on his legs that kind of baffle me -- they make the legs less stable for no reason I can really figure out.

Robot mode has silver accents and some sections painted blue. It's a bit more plain than Dead End. Breakdown has molded fists that don't fold out and are monocolor, like his arms. Breakdown has better feet, but everything else is just a little less nice.

Like Breakdown, Dead End makes a serviceable limb for Menasor with some limitations.

In short: Not a home run like Dead End, but by no means bad. Not a fan of the swivel legs, but apart from that, a solid and large-feeling toy.

Off Road

In short: Well, two out of three isn't bad. After Breakdown and Dead End, this is a serious miss and Hasbro is 0 for 2 for non-original team members.

Off Road has a nice truck mode and some interesting transformation bits. However, it also has a seriously ugly backpack and the paint isn't nearly as good as the other two. This is more like a RiD2015 figure, and I don't mean that in a good way.

Vehicle mode is good. There are red speckled windows and lightning stripes on the sides. There's a small decepticon logo on the hood, on top of some gunmetal. There's also a lot of flat gray. A lot. And the gunmetal doesn't really stand out. The vehicle is hampered by the robot feet, which don't fold out of the way and have little clearance. Wheel rims are painted (yay!), but the vehicle is an uninteresting sea of gray.

Transformation is simple, with elements of the other Stunticons. Nothing terribly good or bad here. I really like the way the upper feet join with the cab.

Robot mode has silver and red paint accents, and teal plastic parts not visible in vehicle mode. The colors are good and the teal and green add interest to the figure. Unfortunately, we've got monocolor, non moving fists with panels on the other side and shoulder/upper arm panels that really need another folding joint.

All of that pales next to the backpack from hell. Seriously -- this is Pontiac Aztek bad in the sense that it's there by design and nobody bothered to fix or mitigate it. There's room, and with a little extra engineering, it could have folded more out of the way. Sadly, it is big and ugly and obvious. I have no idea what they were thinking with this. Terrible.

Offroad is a good limb in both modes, and better as an arm since it can be posed more than Breakdown/Dead End. Hasbro's toy show pictures have him as a leg, so I'll have to see if doing so leads to additional poseability.

In short: Not a total loss, but a total letdown from the other three. Where's my Wildrider?

Menasor

In short: King of Mild Disappointment

I really don't want to hate on Menasor. It does a lot of things right. Menasor is imposing and large, stocky and brutal looking. If you look at it straight on, it doesn't look so bad.

Then you notice the old man pants. Menasor's waist is so high that it looks ridiculous. There are some things you can do, but they all come with serious drawbacks.

This would not be enough to sink Menasor. Unfortunately, many of the things that went right on Silverbolt and Superion also go wrong here.

1. Menasor is not nearly as poseable. The cars, especially as feet, do not bend as well as the planes. With Superion, you could unhook the mid parts and get extra articulation and flexibility. It doesn't really work with the cars. As arms, you can get a little more flex, but not as legs. This makes it much more difficult to give Menasor dynamic poses.

With Breakdown and Dead End, you can half-transform them and get articulation mid leg. However, the internal joints are not stiff enough to hold Menasor's weight, and unlike the Aerialbots, you can't really put them in a way to support the weight. Additionally, it makes Menasor's legs even longer and more ridiculous.

2. Blackjack doesn't stay put. Blackjack was designed to work with Menasor, and he falls out all the time. I had a much easier time attaching Thundercracker to Ultra Prime and that one isn't even official.

3. Worst of all: Menasor's shoulders don't lock in. Oh, there are tabs. Two of them on each shoulder. But they're weaker than the ratchet joints in the arms, meaning that any time you attach or move a limb, they are likely to dislodge. This is a serious design flaw and it really hinders enjoyment of the gestalt.

All these together produce:

4. An unstable, difficult to pose gestalt. Menasor often ends up in uncomfortable looking positions, pitched forward or backward. If you correct, he looks like a brick. When you correct, something else moves out of place. Then Blackjack falls out. The whole upper body is a mess, and if the shoulders or Blackjack don't come out, the head assembly moves.

I tried a number of different combinations. You can compensate a bit for the old man pants, but then you get less stable legs and a Menasor that is extremely difficult to pose. Or you can have a more stable Menasor with old man pants. In any case, whenever you move the arms, the shoulders typically dislodge, leading to more posing, leading to more fiddling, leading to Blackjack on the floor, leading to Blackjack being thrown across the room...

It's not terrible, but it's much more uncomfortably close to Energon Superion than Combiner Wars Superion. This makes Menasor a figure that misses the mark in some very substantial ways that make it a lot less fun to play with and pose.

That's a shame.

Unfortunately, this is not the Menasor of your dreams, and the hopes of getting something roughly equivalent to a third party figure will remain unfulfilled. You can kind of pretend, if you find a good position and never move him again or leave him in default brick mode.

Really long post, since I've saved stuff that I haven't been able to complete until now.

Reviews of Motormaster, Huffer, Blackjack, the Stunticons, and Menasor...
Thanks for the reviews. I was on the fence on Menasor (with the Perfect Effect Upgrade), but I think I'll wait for a Bruticus announcement. It's too bad that the hip area looks the way it does. Even with the Perfect Effect Upgrade, it looks awkwardly posed.

att00496.jpg

Thank you for your review, Blandstalker. You not only beat me to it, but did it better. ;)

I found that swapping out Off-Road and Dead End, my Menasor became more stable. On mine, at least, I can't seem to get the hips to line up correctly for Off-Road and Breakdown to even out at legs. Off-Road appears to be a tad bit longer so it looks like Menasor is wearing lifts on one foot.

Tokerblue, I had totally forgotten about the Perfect Effect upgrades. I'm a bit confused by the various listings though. Can anyone tell if the first black colored set, for example, is just hands and feet or does it also include the new weapons? Same goes for the one listed as red and the purple ones. They all seem to be multiple separate item listings for either all the same thing or more than what's indicated since the parts noted don't match everything in the listing images. Since they're all the same price, I don't want to end up with several sets of hands and feet but no waist bits. Maybe I'll just wait for more detailed listings hopefully coming soon.

Tokerblue, I had totally forgotten about the Perfect Effect upgrades. I'm a bit confused by the various listings though. Can anyone tell if the first black colored set, for example, is just hands and feet or does it also include the new weapons? Same goes for the one listed as red and the purple ones.
There should be two upgrades for Menasor.

Perfect Effect PC-04 (Head, Breastplate, Weapon)

http://www.robotkingdom.com/pepc04.html

Perfect Effect PC-02 (Purple Hands, Feet)

http://www.robotkingdom.com/pepc02.html

There are also two for Superion.

Great reviews as usual blandstalker!  Thanks!

Agree on all fronts.  Dead End is fantastic, and overall the Stunticons are very nice bot/alt modes with questionable combined mode (primarily due to the poor Motormaster).  Wish I could figure out how to use Dead End's pipe like a tonfa/billy club though (it's even pictured in the instructions, but is too loose.).  Might through some future on the underside of his hand to tighten that up.

Also, if like mine your Motormaster has some jacked up leg ratchets that will only go in the "gotta pee" knees too close or "dropping a deuce in the woods" legs too far, I found if you don't tab in the flaps that come up from the lower legs in combined mode, you can finangle the other joints a bit more to compensate.  Still not perfect, still has old man pants, but at least you can get a more natural stance.

The Arealbots have a brilliant combined mode with good robot modes and OK alt modes. 

Thanks for the review!  I got Superion and Menasor figures for my son-haven't given it to him yet.  I wonder if it will be mean to give each figure one at a time?   LOL  Is there a legion figure for menasor like powerglide  is for superion?

Thanks for the review! I got Superion and Menasor figures for my son-haven't given it to him yet. I wonder if it will be mean to give each figure one at a time? LOL Is there a legion figure for menasor like powerglide is for superion?
Blackjack fits into the chest of Menasor.

Good for you 180husher, all I've been able to find around the LA area so far are the ugly Armada versions.

I'd love to read a few of your impressions of Leader Megatron if you open him up and have time to write a short review.

I didn't see this elsewhere in this thread: Target Cartwheel app has 15% off all Transformers toys this week.
This works great. Got Leader Megatron (Classic) for ~$40 with it. (My... well, technically my 7th Transformer, but 2nd in hand - the others are shipping.)

Just started collecting, so it's a great addition. Just hoping eventually they release an Optimus Prime in the Leader size to go along with it. I'd love a Masterpiece Prime, but it'll be a LONG time before i can justify ~$150-$200 on a single figure. Even $40 for Megatron was pushing my budget quite a bit.

Good for you 180husher, all I've been able to find around the LA area so far are the ugly Armada versions.

I'd love to read a few of your impressions of Leader Megatron if you open him up and have time to write a short review.
Actually it's for my son's Bday party in a couple of weeks. I wasn't happy with the $50 price tag, especially now that I've seen that INCyr got it for less than $40 at Target. Target.com has both versions on the website but they both share the same DPCI# so you can't use that to narrow down your search. My local Target shows them in stock but they weren't on the shelves. I think I'm going to give the DPCI# (087-06-2587) and see if they can find the case in the back.

I got both megs for My son. He opened the g1 looking one and he told me he still wants the armada one. HE said it looks like the megatron in the video game he played on ps2. I will keep an eye out for them at target and see if I can price adjust or return and rebuy. I got them for 44.99 but still I'd save $5 on each.

Not that I would recommend this particular mold, but I just saw five of the Silver Knight Optimus Prime figures on clearance at Pasadena Target for $9 and change. If you're looking for one of these, they may also be on clearance at other Targets.

I'm not sure how YMMV this is, but I found the Combiner Wars Voyager Optimus & Silverbolt for $7.50 each at Kroger this weekend. Not a bad deal at all.

I'm not sure how YMMV this is, but I found the Combiner Wars Voyager Optimus & Silverbolt for $7.50 each at Kroger this weekend. Not a bad deal at all.
Dang. I'm going to have to keep a better eye out at my local King Soopers (Kroger affiliate.)

Got my Collector's Club figure today. Leo Convoy is pretty OK. I wasn't super fond of this mold when it was released, but the paint apps make for very pleasing alt and robot modes. He comes with a blaster and an energon-ish axe, both of which stow on his sides in alt mode.

Pros:

- good robot and not terrible alt modes

- great head sculpt

- lots of paint in complementary colors that fit the character

- good articulation in robot mode

Cons:

- have this mold a couple times already

- some of the paint work is a little sloppy

- mine has a tendency to pop his hip joints out during transformation (didn't happen so much on original mold, that I recall)

- one of my peevs on this mold is the shoulder engineering making transformation a bit fiddly

- also, on mine the shoulders tend to slide out of place when I pose the arms

Overall, not a bad figure.

There hasn't been any news but we will probably get an official announcement at Botcon. If it's anything like years past it will probably be the week of SDCC though

I just want Devastator pre orders to begin on BBTS. I have Superion, Menasor and CW Megatron. I pre ordered the Takara Defensor today.

just found this tread.. started reading and was like, oh snap, new soundwave for $30... and then saw it was a post from 2006 hahah

here's something I'll be buying at Comic-Con, though! -

[attachment=14449:11036641_833740520029477_8671873170819456713_n.jpg]

HasbroToyShop.com has Combiner Wars Hot Spot, Cyclonus, and Warpath in stock.

Unfortunately, Quickslinger (aka Sling Shot), Brake Neck (aka Wild Rider), Motormaster, Air Raid, and the non-ugly Leader Megatron are out of stock.

However, most everything else Combiner Wars is in stock.  Plus, with Memorial15 you get free shipping and 15% off @$50

I've been out of the Transformers news for a while...just checked out HasbroToyShop.com and found this Soundwave:

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/transformers-platinum-edition-soundwave-figure?BR=496&ID=33975

Is this new? It's pretty expensive, any of you guys get him yet? Is it worth it?
The molds are some of my favorite of all time. The colors are some of the most eye-gouging of all time. I honestly don't know how much the original release goes for these days but I highly recommend that.

I've been out of the Transformers news for a while...just checked out HasbroToyShop.com and found this Soundwave:

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/transformers-platinum-edition-soundwave-figure?BR=496&ID=33975

Is this new? It's pretty expensive, any of you guys get him yet? Is it worth it?
Not new. It was announced last fall, released this year. I guess that makes it sort of new, but it's been out for awhile now.

It might be worth it if you are a massive fan of Soundwave, clear figures, or just gotta catch 'em all with regards to "Platinum" branded stuff. Otherwise, I totally agree with Zmonkay -- yes to the mold, no to this deco. And no to the extra cost.

The molds are some of my favorite of all time. The colors are some of the most eye-gouging of all time. I honestly don't know how much the original release goes for these days but I highly recommend that.
I generally like clear Transformers, but I really don't like this one. I don't know what they were thinking with that color scheme.

Looks like if you are patient you can get an opened MP Soundwave with all the cassettes and accessories for ~150 off of eBay.

You can also get a MP Soundblaster for $129 from BBTS. It does not have all the tapes, though.

BotCon registration is up!  Oops, it's down.  Back up again!  Down again.  Up again!  Down again.

Getting ready for a move and packing things up.  Haven't really had room for my collection in my apartment since around the start of Armada, so a lot of things were just put on shelves in a storage unit.  So much stuff.  Things I don't remember buying.  Things I don't remember even being released (Universe Nemesis Prime, a repaint of the Big Convoy Beast Wars Neo mammoth).

Took some pics as I was packing.  Not very exciting looking at the boxes, but maybe some of you will enjoy them.  I came across the one G1 Trainbot I have, but didn't take a pic of him.  Haven't found where my G1 Deszaras or Galaxy Shuttle are yet.

Commemorative series, US and Japan.

2015-05.01.jpg

Some Armada Max and Gigas

2015-05.02.jpg

Some Energon Megas

2015-05.03.jpg

Prime and friends

2015-05.04.jpg

Unicron

2015-05.05.jpg

I finally happened upon the silver and black version of CW Leader Megatron while at Target today! Yay, me! Can't really explain why I was so excited about this one, but I'm sitting here in my cubicle at work and every few minutes transforming him back and forth between modes. I really like this one, with one exception: the way the arm canon/tank canon is attached to Megs' forearm makes bending that elbow next to impossible. Other than that I think he's my favorite version of Megs that I own. (I never did manage to snag a masterpiece.)

After watching a video review, I think I'm going to order the reprolabels set for him too. I've been really impressed by their stuff so far.

Over at TFW, they have an article on the Takara Devastator shown at the Tokyo Toy show.  All of them have been remolded with more articulation and have better/more paint apps and none of the silly vac metal. 

Wonder how  much that will cost.  If it is not double, I'd go for that. 

I finally happened upon the silver and black version of CW Leader Megatron while at Target today! Yay, me! Can't really explain why I was so excited about this one, but I'm sitting here in my cubicle at work and every few minutes transforming him back and forth between modes. I really like this one, with one exception: the way the arm canon/tank canon is attached to Megs' forearm makes bending that elbow next to impossible. Other than that I think he's my favorite version of Megs that I own. (I never did manage to snag a masterpiece.)

After watching a video review, I think I'm going to order the reprolabels set for him too. I've been really impressed by their stuff so far.
I always thought the reason for that joint on the cannon is so that you can fold it out so you can bend his arm (with the cannon on the side of the arm). I don't think that joint is used for transformation otherwise. You can also kinda make it an underarm cannon if you reverse the arm, for armada megatron, though then you lose basically all arm articulation.

The one problem with the takara devestator is that not only will it be pricier, the shipping will be fairly expensive. But yeah, pretty significant remolding, plus some added features (like the head has a visor that can fold out)

Yeah I really want Takara Devestator, but I just know the price is gonna be jacked to hell and back, especially after shipping.  If it goes up for preorder at a decent price before August/Hasbro's ships, I might bite, but preordered just to be safe.

Masterpiece Ironhide.   :drool:

MP Primal looks great, too.  Haven't gone through all the pics from recent cons, are there any robot mode pics?

bread's done
Back