10% off disc10
Latest Transformers news:

• Dark of the Moon toyline to be released at retail on May 15, 2011
  • Transformers Prime toyline to be released at retail in October 2011
Latest Transformers figures available at retail now:

• Generations Warpath, Kup, and Scourge
  • Dark of the Moon Preview Pack Cyberverse Optimus Prime

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that's one you want a cheap(er) Hasbro version of. I don't have any problems with mine, though it frightens quite a lot of people out of transforming it too much.

It's not tough to get an import version. There was a reissue earlier this year, and who knows -- with the new MP-10 Convoy, there might be a new MP Megatron mold coming.

I hope Hasbro does release MP-10 Optimus here. I like what I see, but I just can't justify $250 + shipping and tax.

25% off + free shipping @ HasbroToyshop.com
FSFAM11

mickeyp: Great time to pick up Leader Sentinal :D

Also, apparently Prime toys have hit Canada, so hopefully the US will get them soon!

Prime toys have hit Canada, but they are exclusive to TRU until February/March. I believe that's the same in the US.

After that, they'll be everywhere. This first release has "First Edition" on the packaging, but is otherwise identical to the eventual regular release.

I haven't seen them yet, but I'll be waiting for a sale in any case.

Picked up Ultimate Prime. Even though the combined mode isn't terribly articulated, it is a lot of fun and better than I was expecting. Very good toy.

[quote name='blandstalker']Picked up Ultimate Prime. Even though the combined mode isn't terribly articulated, it is a lot of fun and better than I was expecting. Very good toy.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I picked him up on sale a while ago, and was very pleasantly surprised. I was initially going to pass on him, but am very glad I picked him up.

[quote name='encendido5']I saw this on jalopnik. Check out their version of Devastator!

http://www.maketoys.jp/[/QUOTE]

Holy crap that is awesome. Why does all the figures Hasbro put out never look that cool? Its the reason why I haven't picked up a non MP transformer in the past 5 years.

[quote name='KingDox']Holy crap that is awesome. Why does all the figures Hasbro put out never look that cool? Its the reason why I haven't picked up a non MP transformer in the past 5 years.[/QUOTE]

It better be awesome because the projected cost is going to be $100 for each set of two figures, or $350 for the set. (Yes, I realize that doesn't add up. The two figure sets are going to be yellow, and the gift set is going to be green. There's bound to be more demand for the green set.)

Of course, there's also TFC toys' Hercules, which you can see here. Each of those toys is Voyager sized. It's going to be one hell of a Devastator. Unfortunately, there have been some QC issues. TFC toys is taking care of it, but buyer beware, especially if you preorder and get first run figures.

I've gotten two of the TFC guys. They're even more expensive than the Maketoys ones. I'm just looking the other way when it comes to cost with these. I don't have many extravagances, and combiners are one of my weak spots. Devastator was also what brought me in to Transformers, so it was going to be one or the other.

The really good news about the Maketoys Devastator is that they're doing the yellow one first, so QC will be a known quantity and they will have ironed out any problems by the time the green guy rolls around. Maketoys is also related to FansProject, and their QC is always excellent. Better than Hasbro's.

Maketoys is also doing an upgrade for the RtS G2 Prime figure. I am so getting that.

[quote name='Zmonkay']25% off + free shipping @ HasbroToyshop.com
FSFAM11

mickeyp: Great time to pick up Leader Sentinal :D

Also, apparently Prime toys have hit Canada, so hopefully the US will get them soon![/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot! My son will be getting this for the holidays from his grandparents now!

[quote name='blandstalker']It better be awesome because the projected cost is going to be $100 for each set of two figures, or $350 for the set. (Yes, I realize that doesn't add up. The two figure sets are going to be yellow, and the gift set is going to be green. There's bound to be more demand for the green set.)

Of course, there's also TFC toys' Hercules, which you can see here. Each of those toys is Voyager sized. It's going to be one hell of a Devastator. Unfortunately, there have been some QC issues. TFC toys is taking care of it, but buyer beware, especially if you preorder and get first run figures.

I've gotten two of the TFC guys. They're even more expensive than the Maketoys ones. I'm just looking the other way when it comes to cost with these. I don't have many extravagances, and combiners are one of my weak spots. Devastator was also what brought me in to Transformers, so it was going to be one or the other.

The really good news about the Maketoys Devastator is that they're doing the yellow one first, so QC will be a known quantity and they will have ironed out any problems by the time the green guy rolls around. Maketoys is also related to FansProject, and their QC is always excellent. Better than Hasbro's.

Maketoys is also doing an upgrade for the RtS G2 Prime figure. I am so getting that.[/QUOTE]

So all things being equal, which Devastator would you get? I want to get at least one of them, but having a hard time deciding between the two. What site do you buy them from ?

[quote name='jbz']So all things being equal, which Devastator would you get? I want to get at least one of them, but having a hard time deciding between the two. What site do you buy them from ?[/QUOTE]

I buy them from Automaton Toys, but that's for Canada. You can't go wrong with BBTS, Ages 3 and Up, or TF Source. I've used them all. They're all good. One thing in BBTS's favor is that you can set up a Pile of Loot, where they hold multiple orders and ship them all at once. You have to wait, but you only pay once for shipping. That helps with things like this, where there are multiple releases over time. Otherwise, I'd check each retailer for cancellation policy, in case you change your mind.

I went with TFC Hercules because I wanted the bigger Devastator. It was also first. I also haven't ordered much lately, so I didn't feel too badly about going the installment route, though the final cost is still insane. I don't think I would have gotten it if it had only come in a set.

Here are some things to consider:

Cost
TFC Hercules will be $500-600. Maketoys Giant will be $300-$350

Size
Hercules is comprised of Voyager sized bots and will be almost as tall as Unicron. Giant is comprised of scout sized bots and will be slightly taller than the head of the upgraded Energon/ROTF Bruticus.

Style
This one you'll have to figure out. Some people swear Giant is more G1 and Hercules is more classics. Personally, I'd look at pictures of each and see if there are any must-haves or dealbreakers. To me, they both look good and neither one fits any better or worse in my collection.

QC
There are QC issues with Hercules, but so far TFC has been addressing them. Maketoys is an unknown quantity, though they're related to FansProject, so that's a plus. Maketoys is the safer bet because of the gift set and second release.

Excellent info, thank you very much.

That ROTF Bruticus is pimp too. Sigh...why do these things have to cost so much. My goal was to try to get all of the Japanese MPs at some point, but no way I can do that if I start going into these customs.

Today (Nov. 29) HasbroToyShop.com is having free shipping with no minimum and 20% off using the code EAWL0QK

Free shipping and 20% off does not work on exclusives, so while they do have the NYCC Prime pack, there's no discount whatsoever.

Got me a HA Dragstrip, a couple of Scourges (for Sweeps), and an extra Warpath.

Wasn't yesterday the launch of the TF: Prime line?

I'm not really keeping up with TF these days -- my love for the line comes and goes and I'm currently out of room to display anything new anyways.

I've rushed out for the last few lines right at launch day just to find those same waves still on the shelves months later, so I'm just going to pick up the random TF: Prime figure here and there until I've got the first few waves. No rush to drop a large amount of cash right away and I don't know, I don't think these figures are going to fly off the shelves.

[quote name='animalspinners']Wasn't yesterday the launch of the TF: Prime line?

I'm not really keeping up with TF these days -- my love for the line comes and goes and I'm currently out of room to display anything new anyways.

I've rushed out for the last few lines right at launch day just to find those same waves still on the shelves months later, so I'm just going to pick up the random TF: Prime figure here and there until I've got the first few waves. No rush to drop a large amount of cash right away and I don't know, I don't think these figures are going to fly off the shelves.[/QUOTE]

If it was the local TRU I was at today did not have them out yet.

Prime figs have been trickling into TRU's for a little over two weeks now, but they've been inconsistent and it isn't a full launch. Just Deluxe Bumblebee, Starscream, and Arcee. I haven't seen any yet, but apparently Bee is pretty common, but SS and Arcee are harder to find since there are more Bee's in each case.

very strange "launch" of a new line.

Prime figs hit Canada first, and it's the same story. I lucked into them by making an unscheduled stop at a TRU and there were 2 Arcees and 1 Starscream left. Since then, it's been only Bumblebees.

The case assortment is 4 Bees, 2 Arcees, and 2 Starscreams. Judging from comments here, it looks like stores got 2 or 3 cases and that's it.

It's not really the launch of the line -- that comes later when it hits all retailers -- but I don't know what Hasbro was trying to accomplish other than making life difficult for fans and enabling scalpers. Dribbling these figures in to TRU during the holiday season is a bizarre idea. Any "buzz" they generate will be lost in the holiday madness.

Weird, I could have sworn the "official" launch was December 1st for all stores?

When is it now? 2012 sometime?

This line is already mismanaged before it even comes out... at this rate, it will suffer the same fate as Animated. I'm not bothering even checking my TRU since its scalper central and a shitty store to boot.

The really confusing part, is that these are part of a "preview" or "First Edition" (or whatever they're calling it) wave. The "official" launch is sometime next year. The problem is it is currently unknown if these first edition figs will be integrated into the full line launch as well, or if they are only going to be in this early release wave. Deluxe Bumblebee and Cliffjumper are already getting entirely new molds in the "officlal" launch.

Even stranger? That will make 3 versions of Cliffjumper: First Edition, First Edition "Zombie" Cliffjumper, and the new mold early next year. 3 versions, for an ultra minor character on the show
he's killed in like the first 10 minutes of the series...

The official launch for Prime is going to be late February/March. Until then, it's First Edition and only TRU.

[quote name='Zmonkay']The really confusing part, is that these are part of a "preview" or "First Edition" (or whatever they're calling it) wave. The "official" launch is sometime next year. The problem is it is currently unknown if these first edition figs will be integrated into the full line launch as well, or if they are only going to be in this early release wave. Deluxe Bumblebee and Cliffjumper are already getting entirely new molds in the "officlal" launch.
[/QUOTE]

Can you provide a source for this? It's currently what I'd call "common knowledge" (for those of us who plug in to that sort of thing) but I can't find anything definitive or where it's coming from. It just gets repeated a lot and somewhat fuzzier each time. Thanks, Hasbro -- it wasn't bad enough before, but now we have to play Telephone when figuring out what you're releasing.

It would be incredibly stupid of Hasbro to use this half-hearted sort-of-launch as a way of distributing figures that will either be changed or not released again. I can't imagine it, but they've done stupid things before.

I'm hoping it's just confusion over the various molds. I know there are two Cliffjumper molds -- the one that will be in the First Edition "preview" wave 1.5, and the one that will be later release as the Robots in Disguise subline (which is a different mold). Then there's Zombie Cliffjumper, which is a redeco of the original 1.5 mold.

The question is: will Cliffjumper 1.5 be re-released when the line officially launches. I can't imagine it wouldn't be. The only people who would benefit from not releasing it again would be scalpers.

[quote name='blandstalker']Can you provide a source for this? It's currently what I'd call "common knowledge" (for those of us who plug in to that sort of thing) but I can't find anything definitive or where it's coming from. It just gets repeated a lot and somewhat fuzzier each time. Thanks, Hasbro -- it wasn't bad enough before, but now we have to play Telephone when figuring out what you're releasing.
[/QUOTE]

Wish I could. Best I can say is "common knowledge" as well. Really hope it is incorrect / misinterpreted. What I would think is the "first edition" figs will have unique packaging for collector's that say "First Edition", but the figs will be released en mass in the Spring.

I mean, there's like 10 figs that are supposed to be "First Edition". Wouldn't make any sense to go through the work of producing them and not have them be a full mass retail release...

I'm not too concerned overall though, considering Hasbro's love of repainting every figure 20 times. I never found a Perceptor or Windcharger (Reveal the Shield?) but am just banking on them eventually repainting the molds down the road.

Wow, this line is a mess.

I hate hate hate TRU -- we only have one of them here for all of Tampa and the surrounding cities and it is picked clean by scalpers every morning.

I don't get why this line is constantly pushed back -- its bad enough that most kids probably don't even get the channel TF: Prime is on, but now they've made it so the figures are impossible to get? Isn't the first season of the show already done and we still have no figures?

Now we have to deal with all this BS about First Edition and non-first edition?

This is extremely poor brand management. I don't get how they messed it up this bad and at this point, they are just dooming the line themselves.

The TF: Prime line was pushed back because of the movie. The movie merchandise is going to be the big holiday seller, and I actually don't have a problem with this. The profits from the movie line pays for stuff like Generations and Prime, so I would rather it be pushed back and get a full line instead of the original plan (which was to release only a few figures, folded into lines like Generations).

I'm not wild about the First Edition crap, because that seems to be aimed at getting people to buy extras of the figures because the special packaging might be valuable someday. It would be good marketing if distribution was up to the task, but this is a TRU exclusive, and we all know what that means. Add scalpers into the mix and you get a mess and a headache, which is what we have now.

[quote name='Zmonkay']What I would think is the "first edition" figs will have unique packaging for collector's that say "First Edition", but the figs will be released en mass in the Spring.[/quote]

I agree with this. I think confusion over the various molds morphed into the idea First Edition mold exclusives, which I find difficult to believe. It's possible, but unlikely, and I don't think Hasbro wants to cheese off its customers that much.

[quote name='blandstalker']It would be good marketing if distribution was up to the task, but this is a TRU exclusive, and we all know what that means. [/QUOTE]

It seems to be more of a temporary exclusive. Someone in the Illinois boards on TFW checked the SKU for the gift set (Deluxe Prime, Megs, and 3 humans) and it's in the system, but not currently being stocked. For whatever reason, TRU got em first (and so far, only Deluxe Wave 1).

I'm hoping after the holidays for a mass retail release, but the fucking Spring resets will totally get in the way of that (it seems Walmart, at least near me, doesn't get a single new fig in between January and March cuz they always over-order for Christmas and then need to let stock run down to reset the aisles)

Picked up a Prime Bumblebee at one of my local TRUs (Ellicott City, MD). Only Prime figure they had. The Columbia TRU was pretty cleared out of all deluxe figures, probably because of the sale the other day.

Stopped at TRU today and found 5 Prime bumblebees and 1 Arcee but no Starscreams, which sucks because he's the only character I want right now.

[quote name='mickeyp']I got air raid and darksteel today. I hope they are good. Will give them to my son for the holidays.[/QUOTE]

Nice. Air Raid is... unique. I personally like him, he's almost a gladiator (weapon turns into a shield, and one of his "hands" is really more of a flail).

Darksteel, I can't comment on, but he's a repaint of Thunderwing, which was a solid figure, so all around I think your son will be happy :D

Also, Prime BB is pretty damned sweet imho. Mine has some very sloppy shoulder joints, but otherwise I really like the complexity of the transformation (I think the instructions list like 28 steps or so?). Found Arcee as well, but haven't opened her yet. Still looking for Screamer.

Also, 5 Below's are getting Windcharger's up the wazoo! So, for those of you still looking for one (and those pour saps who imported one from the UK for exorbitant prices but want an extra) check it out!

"darksteel, I can't comment on, but he's a repaint of Thunderwing, which was a solid figure, so all around I think your son will be happy "

do you mean a repaint of sideswipe?

I didn't see it mentioned here, but Hasbrotoyshop.com has Sky Shadow up for $11.99. Shipping is free no matter what so all you pay is tax. Junkheap is sold out but I personally don't really want him anyways so it worked out.

Trying to find one new figure here, in stores *still* full of DOTM Wave 1 and 2 not to mention the scalpers, is impossible so HTS for me, like always.

I really hope they get distribution fixed before the Prime rollout, but who am I kidding, stores will get clogged full of the first wave and never restock because that's how its been for years.

[quote name='mickeyp']"darksteel, I can't comment on, but he's a repaint of Thunderwing, which was a solid figure, so all around I think your son will be happy "

do you mean a repaint of sideswipe?[/QUOTE]

Woops, was thinking of "Sky Shadow", lol. Darksteel I can comment on. LOVE the paint job. Such a wonderful and surprising homage to Beast Wars Quickstrike!

[quote name='Zmonkay']
Also, 5 Below's are getting Windcharger's up the wazoo! So, for those of you still looking for one (and those pour saps who imported one from the UK for exorbitant prices but want an extra) check it out![/QUOTE]

What and where are 5 Below's? I really want that Windcharger!

[quote name='Watchman']What and where are 5 Below's? I really want that Windcharger![/QUOTE]

Random "dollar" store (everything is supposed to be 5 bucks or less). The store I went to only had 1, but I'll def. keep an eye out for you. IDK if they are nationwide, but a few randomly popped up in a few towns I know in Illinois.

The two I've been to had Reveal the Shield scouts in a wheelbarrow near the door. Had to dig, but I found one :D Nice little figure, but definitely not worth the insane import costs. I say up the wazzoo because I've seen people on the TFW boards reporting coming home with 5-10, so...

I'll snag one for you if I find any more, idk if they restock or if the barrowful was all they will have.

Sky Shadow is still up at HTS if anyone needs one.

I ordered last night, they shipped it today and with free shipping the latest its supposed to be here is 12/22, so its good if you want to buy it for a present as it'll be here before Christmas.

They also restocked on Junkheap, DOTM Drag Strip and have all of the new DOTM figures (Air Raid, Darksteel, etc.) for anyone interested.

Just found a killer promo code to use too : FNF20FS gets you 20% off your entire order! For $11.99 figures, this drops the price to $9.59 so yea, now is a good time to fill holes in your collection.

Now the figures are cheaper than retail without the hunt. For 20% off I grabbed Junkheap and Drag Strip for the hell of it.

Apparently HTS also had the First Edition Prime figures up -- Screamer and Arcee are sold out though but Bumblebee is still up and for $9.50, that beats TRU's price at $12. Maybe they won't stay TRU exclusive after all? I can't think of any other TRU exclusive that HTS also sold.

Dangit! Now I'm gonna have to hound HBTS for a Junkheap and Prime Starscream. Thanks for the heads up, and for the coupon animalspinners!

Also, they're not TRU "exclusive", TRU just happened to get them in first for some reason (possibly, limited time exclusivity, or early release rights). I think it also might be that other retail chains don't want to order a new line when their back rooms are probably full of over-ordered movie figs...

[quote name='Zmonkay']Random "dollar" store (everything is supposed to be 5 bucks or less). The store I went to only had 1, but I'll def. keep an eye out for you. IDK if they are nationwide, but a few randomly popped up in a few towns I know in Illinois.

I'll snag one for you if I find any more, idk if they restock or if the barrowful was all they will have.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! 'Preciate it. Wind's always been my favorite mini, so having him supersized would be killer. Surprised I never heard of the chain, but I've been away from my beloved Illinois for a while now--always heartbreaking when I come back to visit and something's shut down, burned down, or been replaced.

We have Ross out here to compete with Marshall's for bargain basement deals, managed to pick up an Iron Man Humvee TF for nine bucks. Never have the finds I hear others scoring there. :/

dang, junk heap all gone :( thanks for the heads up and coupon code.

I wish they chose a different word instead of "Prime" for this new series. You all realize how many returns on a search for "Transformers Prime" gets right, LOL

So apparently Transformers 4 is going to be a thing with Bay at the helm again.

The only think I can think of is "Damn, 10000 more Bumblebees, Optimus Primes and Ratchets that no one is going to buy."

Despite getting most of the unique DOTM figures, the line as a whole really failed to impress me with its endless repaints, slow trickle of new figures and just general apathy from Hasbro compared to past movie lines. I'm really not looking forward to even more iterations of movie figures we've already seen 3 times over.

[quote name='animalspinners']
Despite getting most of the unique DOTM figures, the line as a whole really failed to impress me with its endless repaints, slow trickle of new figures and just general apathy from Hasbro compared to past movie lines. I'm really not looking forward to even more iterations of movie figures we've already seen 3 times over.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that.

What I don't understand with DOTM is why it was so scattershot? The movie's been released on DVD, and there are major characters still missing (Soundwave, Wheeljack, Mirage) yet plenty of new molds of characters that were never in the movie. Or any movie. It's so WTF.

Then there's the whole Wreckers thing. You can't get a unified set at any size class. HA is missing Topspin, and Roadbuster is armored when Leadfoot is not. (We haven't even seen these guys yet in Canada...thanks Hasbro). Deluxes are mostly armored except for Roadbuster, who was recolored in orange (?) but not armored.

We get Leader Bee, but no Leader Megatron. Or Shockwave. So many really obvious things that should be out there or in development but...aren't.

There's obviously demand for these products, but Hasbro looks like it's run out of gas. I'm wondering if they've spread themselves too thin over too many lines (regular, HA, HA Basic, Cyberverse, Generations, Prime, all the kiddie stuff, all the non-transforming stuff).

[quote name='blandstalker']Amen to that.

What I don't understand with DOTM is why it was so scattershot? The movie's been released on DVD, and there are major characters still missing (Soundwave, Wheeljack, Mirage) yet plenty of new molds of characters that were never in the movie. Or any movie. It's so WTF.

[/QUOTE]

I think they're saving some stuff for the Movie Trilogy line in 2012 - we've seen Wheeljack and Soundwave so far, and deluxe Leadfoot is supposed to be a Target exclusive.

Compared to the other TF movie lines, DOTM seems to be ending much sooner, though.

[quote name='180husher']Noticed Target put their Target Exclusive deluxe figures (Bumblebee and Arcee) on clearance at 50% off.[/QUOTE]

Saw that too last night.
As for the DOTM, I only bought one, that deluxe Autobot chopper, mostly because I liked how his blades became part of his chest rather than the usual "wings" or blade weapons. I hate the Bayformer look and their limbs looking spindly and ugly as sin, looking more like body parts hidden under a chassis than being formed from a piece of their alternate form--and if they do, they look poorly designed.
I look at my Alternators line with inspired transformations like Smokescreen/Bluestreak, Skids and especially Hound and wonder what designer they picked up that fell off the turnip truck for DOTM.

[quote name='yakkotank']I think they're saving some stuff for the Movie Trilogy line in 2012 - we've seen Wheeljack and Soundwave so far, and deluxe Leadfoot is supposed to be a Target exclusive.

Compared to the other TF movie lines, DOTM seems to be ending much sooner, though.[/QUOTE]

Movie Trilogy line?

I really hope this is some kind of rumor. I would love for Hasbro to just leave the movie shit alone for awhile, because the world no longer needs even more repaints and re-releases of Bumblebee, Ratchet and Optimus Prime.

I mean, I know the movies revitalized the franchise but enough is enough at this point. Its been almost five straight years of movie stuff on the pegs. Time to concentrate on Prime and keep making new Generations figures while the movie stuff just takes a rest.

Yeah, I really liked most of the figs from Movie 1 and RotF, but DotM figs were just HUGE disappointments for the most part. From the scattershot launching of new figs (and as mentioned, the very prominant missing figs), excess of repaints (how many bumblebees are even out there right now?!), and the gimmicky weapons making the figures overall a lot smaller. The overall quality of the figures seems to have dropped too, from plastic quality, to design, to paint apps. There's a couple really great figs (the Voyager helicopter Watchman mentioned being one) but overall the line kinda sucks.

Really happy to say that, at least for Bee and RC, Prime is a much better line already. Really like the movie meets Animated esthetic and the complexity of the transformations.

Also really hope Generations comes back / continues in some fashion, especially once the new game launches. Or better yet, give us an entire line based on the game (the Megs, Prime, and Bee from WfC were fantastic)

[quote name='Zmonkay']Or better yet, give us an entire line based on the game (the Megs, Prime, and Bee from WfC were fantastic)[/QUOTE]

We'll just end up getting those three again plus Cliffjumper.

The fact Hasbro never went further with WfC figures is one of the biggest disappointments I can think of with the brand in the last few years.

We could have finally gotten new a Trypticon... I'd much rather take that than another Leader Bumblebee. Hell, we could have finally have gotten a Slipstream as well.

bread's done
Back