10% off disc10
Latest Transformers news:

• Dark of the Moon toyline to be released at retail on May 15, 2011
  • Transformers Prime toyline to be released at retail in October 2011
Latest Transformers figures available at retail now:

• Generations Warpath, Kup, and Scourge
  • Dark of the Moon Preview Pack Cyberverse Optimus Prime

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pjb16']My local TRU had somewhere between 9 and 11 MP Thundercrackers on the shelf (really?!), but not a single tag even for MP Prime.

I am disappoint. :([/QUOTE]

I am choosing to not be worried about this. TWhen Thundercracker first appeared, it was a lot like MP Prime is now: sold out everywhere and shelf tags if you were lucky.

Now, Thundercracker seems to be everywhere. My local store got six, sold them, then got six more. It's also available on toysrus.com and has been for over a week.

So, I think -- I hope -- the same thing is/will happen with MP Prime. While Prime is a higher price point, I can't see them doing less for an item with much more mass market appeal.

And if they do, fuck them. It no longer matters that much to me. While I'd like one, I can live without yet another Optimus.

[quote name='Zmonkay'] I actually splurged back in the day and imported at least half the line before Hasbro announced a domestic release. No regrets.[/QUOTE]

Same here. At the time it was unknown if they would ever come out here. And sometimes, brilliant things from Japan just don't, Alternity being the latest. But even back then, there were a bunch of great beasts that never came out here. There was no way to know.

Even then, when Hasbro announced RiD coming stateside, I was happy that everyone would get to experience them.

I think my favorites are the car brothers. Great vehicles, with very little hint of being robots, even from the underside Terrific, super-poseable robots (when that was not the norm). They were intricate, but not frustrating like some of the more recent panel mashers have been. They're also one of the few cases where I have the originals and the redecos and have no desire to pare down to one or the other. They had superb design with the right materials and attention to detail.

What is disheartening is that the designs are still, on the whole, good. It's the choices, from case assortment to prioritizing stupid weapons to relentless cost cutting and cheapening, that is killing things.

[quote name='animalspinners']Gotta say, I love how I actually don't like any of the new Beast Hunters line (and I'm pretty much caught up on everything else at retail.)[/QUOTE]

I agree -- it's a relief in a period that's been quite frustrating. I've stuck with it because I think TF:prime has been really good, but now that it's going in directions that I loathe, it's nice to be able to write off a whole line.

[quote name='animalspinners']not to mention the need to have to import to get a complete onscreen cast (which I think is the first time Hasbro has ever dropped the ball here, no?). [/quote]

You could say the same about DotM. There have been minor characters before -- BW Tripredacus Agent/Ravage or Animated Blackout -- but yeah -- leaving major cast members on the other side of the ocean is a new "strategy". It's just the latest in a string of bewildering decisions.

I think they just don't care anymore. Or, more specifically, they have forgotten that the movies/shows are tools that are better for sales than their current Stupid Marketing Tricks.

[quote name='animalspinners']To top it all off, I don't need to fight off scalpers and waste time / gas hunting for figures.[/QUOTE]

Isn't it nice?

Found a Masterpiece Optimus Prime w/ Trailer, but the cost was $119.99 before tax. Is that the original msrp price or did my TRU jacked it up for the holidays? I will probably return it. It appears very plastic-ky.

Not a huge find, but I picked up Cyberverse Breakdown today putting me at having each Cyberverse figure that's appeared in the show that exists in toy form. Next purchase... Optimus Maximus to throw them Autobots on.

Anyone know if they plan on releasing Vehicons that transform into jets at the Cyberverse size?

[quote name='FatBoyInside']Found a Masterpiece Optimus Prime w/ Trailer, but the cost was $119.99 before tax. Is that the original msrp price or did my TRU jacked it up for the holidays? I will probably return it. It appears very plastic-ky.[/QUOTE]

MSRP was $99.99. TRU is reportedly jacking it up everywhere, some places are at $135 I believe.

[quote name='blandstalker']I am choosing to not be worried about this. TWhen Thundercracker first appeared, it was a lot like MP Prime is now: sold out everywhere and shelf tags if you were lucky.

Now, Thundercracker seems to be everywhere. My local store got six, sold them, then got six more. It's also available on toysrus.com and has been for over a week.

So, I think -- I hope -- the same thing is/will happen with MP Prime. While Prime is a higher price point, I can't see them doing less for an item with much more mass market appeal.

And if they do, fuck them. It no longer matters that much to me. While I'd like one, I can live without yet another Optimus.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I have a feeling come Christmas time we'll see a lot of these on the shelves. Well, some of us will. The people who preordered from TRU.com are still waiting though. (I'm one of them)

Yeah, are they trying to wait until the higher price point is out for a while then cancel all the preorders due to a "price error"? They better fucking not!

Heads-up to anyone in the Cincinnati area. TRU in Kenwood has several MP Prime.
After I bought mine there were three remaining on the shelf and one unopened case on top of the display.

Price is $119.99.

Still waiting on my two pre-ordered MP Primes...my local TRU FINALLY got in a shipment of MP Thundercracker...picked up one of the three on the shelf; contemplating a second.

TFW2005's SoCal collector board reported that the Los Feliz TRU today had four guys at opening bolt for the TF section where they (foolishly) put the MP-10's. One guy knocked the other three out of the way and took all four on the shelf. Upon checking out the manager called the cops and reported it as assault. The man was arrested, no purchases.

Scary thing is I almost went over to that store this morning at opening. Yeesh!

[quote name='Watchman']TFW2005's SoCal collector board reported that the Los Feliz TRU today had four guys at opening bolt for the TF section where they (foolishly) put the MP-10's. One guy knocked the other three out of the way and took all four on the shelf. Upon checking out the manager called the cops and reported it as assault. The man was arrested, no purchases.

Scary thing is I almost went over to that store this morning at opening. Yeesh![/QUOTE]

Sigh. I'm never going to find this thing in SoCal am I.

Picked up MP Prime in Columbia, MD, tonight. No tags on the shelf, but I saw a case sitting up top. Lifted it up a little bit, had some weight to it. Pulled it down and sure enough, one was in there. Case had a sticker on it for $119.99, and that's what it scanned for. Front, upper right corner of the box was dinged more than I would normally care for, but since I had a 15% off a $50 toy purchase coupon, I figured I'd take the plunge. Probably guaranteed I'll find a pristine one in the coming weeks, though it's not like I haven't double dipped on Masterpieces in the past.

Also picked up a GDO Wheelie. Swerve and Cliffjumper were also there, but the cards were a little too bent for my liking. I figure I'll run into them again. Also saw the GDO scouts.

They also put some MP Thundercrackers out, but there were still a couple cases on top.

After looking online and around, I want to start collecting the Masterpiece Transformers as they seem like some of the best quality. I mainly just want G1 and G2 stuff, does this seem like a good route to go? I had originally thought about getting original ones, but then I started looking at the masterpiece ones. What about these Takara Masterpieces? From what I understand they are the line in Japan.

[quote name='Blade3D']After looking online and around, I want to start collecting the Masterpiece Transformers as they seem like some of the best quality. I mainly just want G1 and G2 stuff, does this seem like a good route to go? I had originally thought about getting original ones, but then I started looking at the masterpiece ones. What about these Takara Masterpieces? From what I understand they are the line in Japan.[/QUOTE]

I've heard complaints about the Takara ones having looser limbs, but that may just be anomalies. No actual proof they're of lower quality.

And Fujishig, we're arguably in the worst area to find one--scalpers aplenty. Especially with jackholes like the one in Los Feliz. But they are turning up--sometimes you just gotta travel to a town you're not normally used to. Porter Ranch apparently had a whole dozen this week.

Is it terrible to wish bad stuff on scalpers? fucking gimps.

[quote name='Watchman']I've heard complaints about the Takara ones having looser limbs, but that may just be anomalies. No actual proof they're of lower quality.

And Fujishig, we're arguably in the worst area to find one--scalpers aplenty. Especially with jackholes like the one in Los Feliz. But they are turning up--sometimes you just gotta travel to a town you're not normally used to. Porter Ranch apparently had a whole dozen this week.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Blade3D']After looking online and around, I want to start collecting the Masterpiece Transformers as they seem like some of the best quality. I mainly just want G1 and G2 stuff, does this seem like a good route to go? I had originally thought about getting original ones, but then I started looking at the masterpiece ones. What about these Takara Masterpieces? From what I understand they are the line in Japan.[/QUOTE]

I talked a little bit about Masterpiece back on this page of this thread.

If you want G1 and G2, it's a good route to go, but it's limited. There are only molds for: Prime, Megatron (JP only), seekers, Grimlock, Rodimus, and the upcoming Soundwave, Sideswipe, and Red Alert. It could be a year before those three are distributed in the US by Hasbro. Probably next year around this time.

Also know that there are now two different scales. The new Prime and the new seekers are slightly smaller. For some people, this is a big issue.

Takara stuff is usually better -- better materials, paint, and accessories -- but there's no guarantee on a first release. The first Takara release of Rodimus had issues; they fixed it in a subsequent release, but early adopters were screwed and had to live with what they bought.

If you want G1 and G2, I'd strongly suggest the Classics/Universe/Generations lines. Quality is generally very good, even for domestic releases, and some have Japanese releases with better paint.

Depends if you want a few quality figures that may or may not ever get around to the characters you really want -- Takara is pretty horrible about this, releasing Masterpiece Prime over and over again -- or if you want more, smaller figures that do a pretty good sampling of G1.

Gotta love when BBTS interprets Jan 2013 as today's date.

Preordered the second "run" (nobody knows what it is, just that BBTS is getting more) of Cyclops slated for Jan. 2013 a few weeks ago, hit my POL today.

On one hand, kind of pissed I got ambushed for $155 (had some credit) but on the other hand, excited it's in so I went and shipped my loot. The bonus is that I get AM Thundercracker and Orion Pax as well!

Just got Generations Junkheap, Prime Starscream, Prime Shockwave, and Piranacon. I don't remeber the robot modes for the Seacons being so.... lame. Guess I'm leave them in Piranacon mode.

Can't wait for FoC Bruticus to come out later this month. I'm also wanting to get MP Soundwave.

Off-topic a bit, not sure how old everyone else is here, but I'm 31, and a lot of people (my coworkers in particular) make fun of me for collecting these toys (I also collect Dunnies/kidrobot, and video games). Does anyone else get made fun of for collecting these at all? I'm curious.

[quote name='def PD']Just got Generations Junkheap, Prime Starscream, Prime Shockwave, and Piranacon. I don't remeber the robot modes for the Seacons being so.... lame. Guess I'm leave them in Piranacon mode.

Can't wait for FoC Bruticus to come out later this month. I'm also wanting to get MP Soundwave.

Off-topic a bit, not sure how old everyone else is here, but I'm 31, and a lot of people (my coworkers in particular) make fun of me for collecting these toys (I also collect Dunnies/kidrobot, and video games). Does anyone else get made fun of for collecting these at all? I'm curious.[/QUOTE]

I'm 27, and I'm sure if my co-workers knew this was a hobby they'd make some comments about it. I don't often work with many of my co-workers though, so we usually talk about work when we do end up crossing paths.

I could really care less what everybody thinks (I'm 32), I just tell them you like drinking beer and this is my hobby at least I can show something for it other than a hang over and an empty box.

FYI:

Watch EVERY EPISODE of Transformers Prime! Starting Thursday at 5:30pm ET, leading up to the season two finale on Friday at 7pm ET!

My guess is that the season ends with the reveal of Predaking. As the figure is supposed to be released in Spring 2013, which is probably when S3 starts.

27 here. One of the perks of working at an engineering firm is not only does nobody "judge" but they think tf's are cool and like to fiddle with them when we get together anyway haha.

[quote name='Zmonkay']27 here. One of the perks of working at an engineering firm is not only does nobody "judge" but they think tf's are cool and like to fiddle with them when we get together anyway haha.[/QUOTE]

27 yr old engineer too, but despite working at a large engineering company, most of my co-workers aren't engineers by degree, and they're all abut 10 yrs or more older than me.

The KMart toybook (I received it in the LA Times this past Sunday) has a good deal on Kreos.

They have the Kreo Stealth Bumblebee advertised for $9.99 and the Optimus Prime vs. Megatron set for $14.99. It's on page 7. I got them pricematched at Target along with an extra $5 off with the Kreo coupon for $19.98 plus tax less redcard.

Oh snap, I hope I get a copy of that book in the mail. I want new Kreos, but after the crazy good discount sales on the entire first line last year I've been holding off.

I picked up MP TC for Karkyco this afternoon and an FE Terrorcon Cliffjumper for myself (already have TC). I know it's been said before, but I am amazed how much better a toy the FE Cliffjumper is than the regular Cliff. Makes me wish I had kept searching until I'd found an FE Cliff when they first came out.

Zmonkay -- BBTS has Cyclops available for preorder for Jan. 2013, I remember saying you wanted one. It's a second production run with a bunch of fixes -- kind of pissed as I preordered this yet BBTS dropped it into my POL early and gave me a first production run, with a floppy elbow. No way I can do that fix myself, haha.

I got it on Friday and he is fantastic though other than that... absolutely worth the price tag. You might as well call this guy Masterpiece Shockwave.

The transformation isn't too bad, but I definitely recommend watching Peaugh's review as you transform him and not even bothering with the manual.

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up. I drooled the whole time I watched Peugh's review a while back haha.

Finally found a PRID Vehicon and a random Kup! That plus my FE Vehicon, Zombie Cliff, Prime, and Blukhead getting here from BBTS makes this a good weekend for TF's :D

You got the FE Prime, Zmonkay?

Out of curiosity, is yours missing paint apps in vehicle mode like this one?

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...t-edition-optimus-prime-fewer-paint-apps.html

Btw, I wanted to let everyone that is still looking for Vehicons know about two potential locations:

Walgreens has set up Hasbro displays with a combo of Prime and MLP stuff and each display has a ton of Vehicons... like a ton. I've seen at least 3 or 4 at each Walgreens I visited. They are $15.50.

Aldi is also having a Transformers sale where all Prime deluxes are $9.99, and each store has a ton of Vehicons.

Both of these stores also have other figs like Airachnid and Rumble if you need to fill holes.

stopped by the local toysrus today looking for masterpiece prime. all i found was an empty spot on the shelf and a tag that said $138.99. even if i had found one, i wouldnt have picked him up. a 40% mark up is fucking ridiculous.

in other toy news, i also saw the halo mega bloks Forward Unto Dawn. definitely hoping that goes on sale at some point

[quote name='masterchief2291']stopped by the local toysrus today looking for masterpiece prime. all i found was an empty spot on the shelf and a tag that said $138.99. even if i had found one, i wouldnt have picked him up. a 40% mark up is fucking ridiculous.

in other toy news, i also saw the halo mega bloks Forward Unto Dawn. definitely hoping that goes on sale at some point[/QUOTE]

Yea, I don't know if I'd have paid $140 if that's what it was priced at my store (probably would have, but begrudgingly).

Also, OT but somewhat in regards to your post and name, Target seems to be having a sale on Halo figures/toys this week (at least mine was). I picked up a couple I had my eye on including the ODST drop ship (though technically I have to wait until christmas because it's a gift from my wife).

Forget the haters. Do what you like. Who would have thought Transformers would be even more popular now than twenty plus years ago. I'm 33 and I love collecting.

[quote name='def PD']Just got Generations Junkheap, Prime Starscream, Prime Shockwave, and Piranacon. I don't remeber the robot modes for the Seacons being so.... lame. Guess I'm leave them in Piranacon mode.

Off-topic a bit, not sure how old everyone else is here, but I'm 31, and a lot of people (my coworkers in particular) make fun of me for collecting these toys (I also collect Dunnies/kidrobot, and video games). Does anyone else get made fun of for collecting these at all? I'm curious.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='animalspinners']You got the FE Prime, Zmonkay?

Out of curiosity, is yours missing paint apps in vehicle mode like this one?

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...t-edition-optimus-prime-fewer-paint-apps.html[/QUOTE]

Well shit, yeah it is! I thought it looked off, but didn't realize it was different from the 1st FE release. I don't really mind too much but it is certainly an oddity.

Also got an "order confirmation" from TRU for the MP Prime I preordered way back when it first went up on TRU. Estimated shipping 11/7-11/11. Then an immediate follow up email saying "Important Delay Information" and at this time they do not have an update for when it will ship. WTF?!!

Got the same emails from tru. Im a little concerned though. Did you notice in the follow up delay email that in the fine print it says if you haven't received the item by 1/22 that it will just be automatically canceled.

[quote name='tinman_licks']Forget the haters. Do what you like. Who would have thought Transformers would be even more popular now than twenty plus years ago. I'm 33 and I love collecting.[/QUOTE]

I wished I would have taken better care of my transformers when I was a kid. I'd love to have my shockwave figure back. Damn..... Once I saw that other adults were collecting, I felt much better. I thought I was alone. I'm 33

Guys, have we already discussed the (to me anyway) recent packaging changes for Generations? I am referring to the Japanese Kanji writing all over the package and the noticeable reduction in English language text on the character description?

I noticed this for the first time this morning when I picked up Sandstorm and Powerglide. Sandstorm at least has a brief description, Powerglide's a voyager and the back of his box is completely devoid of text save for the caption to the product image. It's almost like they forgot to print the layer with the bio in that big blank space under the product image.

UPDATE:

I looked more closely at the packaging and these particular toys are coming from "Hasbro Trading (China) Co., Ltd." That would make it Chinese and not Japanese writing on the package. I wonder if this is is different from previous shipments of Generations figures???

Also, the TRU in Culver City has tons of MP Thundercracker on the shelves and 13 unopened cartons on top of the shelves. Who knows how many they may have in the back. o_O

Not a single MP Prime nor any shelf sticker for him.

[quote name='demonchylde']Guys, have we already discussed the (to me anyway) recent packaging changes for Generations? I am referring to the Japanese Kanji writing all over the package and the noticeable reduction in English language text on the character description?

I noticed this for the first time this morning when I picked up Sandstorm and Powerglide. Sandstorm at least has a brief description, Powerglide's a voyager and the back of his box is completely devoid of text save for the caption to the product image. It's almost like they forgot to print the layer with the bio in that big blank space under the product image.

UPDATE:

I looked more closely at the packaging and these particular toys are coming from "Hasbro Trading (China) Co., Ltd." That would make it Chinese and not Japanese writing on the package. I wonder if this is is different from previous shipments of Generations figures???[/QUOTE]
Yea, those are the GDO (whatever that means) figures which Hasbro brought over from Asia. There's like 4 deluxes, 3 voyagers, and some scouts (I don't usually get scouts, so I didn't follow how many there were). I have all the deluxes and Voyagers.

On my Hotspot (voyager) box it says Brawn is also available, but he's not. :cry:

(small note: I think it's Powerdive, not Powerglide)

Thanks pjb16 for the clarification. I have seen the GDO stuff mentioned, just didn't realize what it was. Now I know...and knowing is half the battle. (hee hee wrong forum for that line)

[quote name='masterchief2291']stopped by the local toysrus today looking for masterpiece prime. all i found was an empty spot on the shelf and a tag that said $138.99. even if i had found one, i wouldnt have picked him up. a 40% mark up is fucking ridiculous.

in other toy news, i also saw the halo mega bloks Forward Unto Dawn. definitely hoping that goes on sale at some point[/QUOTE]

:rofl: You have got to be kidding me. fucking greedy TRU makes me glad I got out of toy collecting.

[quote name='kell']For anyone looking, MP Prime is available at TRU: Link

Listed for $119.99[/QUOTE]

Thank you for listing this. I've been checking daily for a long time now.

That said, their website is a clusterfuck.

I had a gift card and rewards certificates. I put in the gift card, which worked. Then I had 7 certificates. But you can only use 1 for an online order. Okay, whatever.

I wanted to pay by PayPal. No problem. I get to PayPal and it says the addresses don't match and suggests I should go back and check. I do.

It looks like the difference is zip versus zip + 4. Okay. Back through the process again. Except now checkout hangs.

Restart the browser. Now the gift card shows $0 balance. fuck.

It says I can get 20% off if my purchase is over $125. So I add some Legos. No discount shows up in my cart. No page I can find lists the discount as a special offer. More time wasted.

Go through the process without the damn gift card or the discount. Get to the end, pay via PayPal and it returns me to my cart. No confirmation.

WTF. Check for emails. Nope. Check PayPal. No purchases. So the fucking thing didn't go through.

So, go back and do the whole thing over again with a credit card. Finally, it goes through. What a piece of utter shit.

I'll now have to call them tomorrow to get my gift card balance restored. I'll believe I actually have an order when I see it delivered to my door.

Oh shit, 120 online now. My 100.00 order says "item located in stock, expected delivery between November 7 and 12" but hasn't shipped... I'm still paranoid they are just going to cancel all the initial preorders to force people to pay the jacked up bullshit price...

At this point, I'll be glad to pay the inflated price just to be done with these morons.

Got an email this morning. Good thing I regularly check my junk folder. There's a problem processing the Toys R Us credit card tied to my Rewards R Us account. It implies there's a problem with the credit card.

Call the number indicated, they bounced me to a second number. Of course I have to provide info at each.

Finally, it's a "problem with the item" and the order has to be cancelled. I told them I didn't want to cancel the order. She had to for vague reasons, but said I could order it again.

I then sent her to check on the gift card. She said it should restore once the order is cancelled. I sincerely doubted this.

So, I order again. The gift card does indeed work, though the rewards certificate I used is now marked as 'redeemed'. So I'll have to clear that up. I made it through the order process; we'll see how long this one lasts.

This is total bullshit. Toys R Us was notorious for bad website experiences 5+ years ago, and it looks prettier now, but it's just as broken. I've wasted a lot of time on this already, and we'll see what happens.

And suspended again. More time down the TRU suckhole.

I'm not calling for this one, since they'll just cancel it. It will auto-cancel in 48 hours. Let's see what happens.

[quote name='kell']For anyone looking, MP Prime is available at TRU: Link

Listed for $119.99[/QUOTE]

Oh wow, what luck. I've been looking for this! It's sold out online but there was one about 1 hour away from me... $130 is a bit pill to swallow but this is an awesome set since it comes with the trailer. Hopefully the store pick up works and it's not too badly dinged up.

Now... to wait for the email.

EDIT* Score, got the ready for pick up email.

EDIT 2* Kind of a long drive, especially after an entire day of classes but I walked out with the last one. Looks case fresh, but the spike ball on the axe is loose inside the box.:whistle2:/ Oh well. Thanks for the heads up kell.

bread's done
Back