UNDERDEFEAT HD: LE (PS3) $19.99 at Amazon FSSS

Thanks! This one actually might close out the generation.... looks like there's not much coming after Saidaiojou... but May is gonna be a good month nonetheless.

7 loops for Gen 7... I kinda like that ^_^

[quote name='Gabrius']Thanks! This one actually might close out the generation.... looks like there's not much coming after Saidaiojou... but May is gonna be a good month nonetheless.

7 loops for Gen 7... I kinda like that ^_^[/QUOTE]

Is Ketsui coming out in Japan only, or EU as well? I know it will be region free, but I avoid JPN or Asian only releases.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Is Ketsui coming out in Japan only, or EU as well? I know it will be region free, but I avoid JPN or Asian only releases.[/QUOTE]

I think it's Japan only for now.... but that can change pretty quick.

[quote name='Kaiser499']Exclusive to Amazon.[/QUOTE]

This is no longer exclusive to Amazon. It is now available at Newegg and possibly other retailers.

[quote name='Gabrius']The only game you listed better than UD is Ikaruga, IMO.[/QUOTE]
Agree... and I too play my fair share in shmups. It's a relatively short game though, and may go lower, but at $20 for the LE , I'd consider it. For any other digital download shmup better than UD? Try radiant silvergun on XBLA or DonPachi on JPSN.

[quote name='CaoPi']I see that it's on newegg also, no need to rush to buy this now then![/QUOTE]

It's $29.99 though.

I guess there is a chance it'll hit Newegg's clearance cycle though.

Thanks for the heads-up on this one, guys. For $20, I'm willing to give this one a try. I like shmups (especially the Raiden series) but am not very good at them. Love playing them anyway :)

got the plat last night. good game basically have to do 6 playthroughs. did 4 of my playthroughs last night took 2hrs total. having 2 controllers helps you basically just spam bombs and hold X. Best advice is to turn SFX to 35 and Voice to 35 and BGM to 100 the soundtrack is quite nice:drool:

[quote name='bjstucker']got the plat last night. good game basically have to do 6 playthroughs. did 4 of my playthroughs last night took 2hrs total. having 2 controllers helps you basically just spam bombs and hold X. Best advice is to turn SFX to 35 and Voice to 35 and BGM to 100 the soundtrack is quite nice:drool:[/QUOTE]

how do you think it stacks up with other shoot them ups out there? There's not much on PS3 to begin with.....

[quote name='DuffHomer']Doesn't the game come with some cardboard outerbox? I ordered mine and only got the game. I think I got this confused with the limited edition?
[/QUOTE]

fuck me... I saw that unboxing a long while ago and has also mistaken the US release to be of the same setup... At least we got the sound track and it was cheap....

[quote name='Kaiser499']Exclusive to Amazon.[/QUOTE]
I don't think so, I got my copy from Newegg, I pre-ordered when it was $19.99 after $10 coupon.

[quote name='CaoPi']how do you think it stacks up with other shoot them ups out there? There's not much on PS3 to begin with.....[/QUOTE]
I just got this game yesterday. Played it a little bit last night.

You're definitely right that there's not much on the PS3 for shmups. There's the two Soldner games, the PS2 Classic Raiden 3, a few twin stick shooters and then ???

Anyway, I'm not crazy about Under Defeat yet. I don't like the controls - if you move while not shooting, your copter faces that direction and then will fire in that direction until you change it. It's awkward and totally against every shooter ever. There's also a fair amount of slowdown during the game and not just after a bomb or during boss battles. That said, the game IS really good looking - kind of like a modern update of the game Twin Eagle. I also find the game really hard. I'm not very good at shmups so YMMV on the difficulty part.

If it helps, my favorite shmups are Raiden 2, Raiden 3, and Space Megaforce.

Bottom line? I think it's worth $20 but it's the greatest thing going either.

[quote name='CaoPi']how do you think it stacks up with other shoot them ups out there? There's not much on PS3 to begin with.....[/QUOTE]

for the price on AMZ I would get it I rented it from Gamefly. I really can't think of many other SHMUPS out of PS3 its definitely very much in the vein of 1942 and very easy. I ended up using maybe 5 continues on hard and the other difficulties are about on the same par just a bit more enemies. The soundtrack is very nice though probably the best thing I enjoyed of the entire experience. If you like SHMUPS and go into it expecting something like 1942 and not Ikaruga you will be fine :D

[quote name='Tabe']I just got this game yesterday. Played it a little bit last night.

You're definitely right that there's not much on the PS3 for shmups. There's the two Soldner games, the PS2 Classic Raiden 3, a few twin stick shooters and then ???[/QUOTE]
Here's a list of shmups on the PS3.

[quote name='bjstucker']for the price on AMZ I would get it I rented it from Gamefly. I really can't think of many other SHMUPS out of PS3 its definitely very much in the vein of 1942 and very easy. I ended up using maybe 5 continues on hard and the other difficulties are about on the same par just a bit more enemies. The soundtrack is very nice though probably the best thing I enjoyed of the entire experience. If you like SHMUPS and go into it expecting something like 1942 and not Ikaruga you will be fine :D[/QUOTE]

Yeah the 360 has more!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bjstucker']for the price on AMZ I would get it I rented it from Gamefly. I really can't think of many other SHMUPS out of PS3 its definitely very much in the vein of 1942 and very easy. I ended up using maybe 5 continues on hard and the other difficulties are about on the same par just a bit more enemies. The soundtrack is very nice though probably the best thing I enjoyed of the entire experience. If you like SHMUPS and go into it expecting something like 1942 and not Ikaruga you will be fine :D[/quote]

Shooting fans will agree you are playing it wrong. That's why you say it's easy and only 5 continues or so on every difficulty.. :roll: But it's your game so enjoy ! Not everyone can 1CC and the world needs credit feeders.

[quote name='Tabe']I just got this game yesterday. Played it a little bit last night.

You're definitely right that there's not much on the PS3 for shmups. There's the two Soldner games, the PS2 Classic Raiden 3, a few twin stick shooters and then ???

Anyway, I'm not crazy about Under Defeat yet. I don't like the controls - if you move while not shooting, your copter faces that direction and then will fire in that direction until you change it. It's awkward and totally against every shooter ever. There's also a fair amount of slowdown during the game and not just after a bomb or during boss battles. That said, the game IS really good looking - kind of like a modern update of the game Twin Eagle. I also find the game really hard. I'm not very good at shmups so YMMV on the difficulty part.

If it helps, my favorite shmups are Raiden 2, Raiden 3, and Space Megaforce.

Bottom line? I think it's worth $20 but it's the greatest thing going either.[/QUOTE]

So... this'll probably make your day, but everyone else take notice as well:

You can change the shooting mechanic. There is an option to turn on dual analog mode, making your heli control like a twin stick shooter.

I understand why it wasn't the default option.... but it really should've been.

[quote name='$hady']Shooting fans will agree you are playing it wrong. That's why you say it's easy and only 5 continues or so on every difficulty.. :roll: But it's your game so enjoy ! Not everyone can 1CC and the world needs credit feeders.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea how only needing 5 continues means I am "doing it wrong" :roll: I am guessing I need to die more to enjoy the game? More over it might just not be that hard of a shooter. Like you said though its your game so enjoy !

[quote name='Lucian']Not sure how that worked out when the publisher themselves indicated it was exclusive to Amazon: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/11/27/under-defeat-hd-launches-on-ps3-today-psn-next-week/

I had it preordered from Newegg, too, but canceled when I saw the press release.[/QUOTE]
Haha, that's interesting, I remember reading something like that, but didn't cancel the Newegg preorder. Anyhow, I can vouch that Newegg did shipped me the deluxe version.

I just checked that this game has TWO versions and they have different set of trophies!

PS3

1618.png
UNDER DEFEAT HD DELUXE EDITION 1230 1 5 6 28 40 PS3

827.png
Under Siege 1185 1 10 2 3 16

Under Siege is a RTS digital game, totally different >.>

Dust 514, From Dust, and Dust: An Elysian Tale, now those are too similar in name

As someone who hasn't played a Schmup since Ikaruga, what others on X360 and PS3 are worth playing? Picked UDHD and Akai Katana for X360 for 14.98

[quote name='Serpentor']Haha, that's interesting, I remember reading something like that, but didn't cancel the Newegg preorder. Anyhow, I can vouch that Newegg did shipped me the deluxe version.

I just checked that this game has TWO versions and they have different set of trophies!

PS3

1618.png
UNDER DEFEAT HD DELUXE EDITION 1230 1 5 6 28 40 PS3

827.png
Under Siege 1185 1 10 2 3 16[/QUOTE]

Those..... aren't the same games.

....unless I missed the map maker, the ability to collect gold, and having an offline match with a buddy.

[quote name='meta460085']As someone who hasn't played a Schmup since Ikaruga, what others on X360 and PS3 are worth playing? Picked UDHD and Akai Katana for X360 for 14.98[/QUOTE]

I like Deathsmiles and Deathsmiles IIX (xbox games on demand only)

[quote name='meta460085']As someone who hasn't played a Schmup since Ikaruga, what others on X360 and PS3 are worth playing? Picked UDHD and Akai Katana for X360 for 14.98[/QUOTE]

The Xbox 360 is the 2nd best shmup console in history.

You must play these region free games:
1 Ginga Force
2. ESCHATOS
3. Dodonpachi resurrection
4. Espgaluda II
5. Mushihimesama futari 1.5
6 Death Smiles
7 Radiant Silvergun XBLA - best game ever

Check amazon, playasia and ebay for sales.
All superb and play on US consoles.
Sadly the ps3 doesn't have many AAA shmups

[quote name='Brodudejaggiez']The Xbox 360 is the 2nd best shmup console in history.

You must play these region free games:
1 Ginga Force
2. ESCHATOS
3. Dodonpachi resurrection
4. Espgaluda II
5. Mushihimesama futari 1.5
6 Death Smiles
7 Radiant Silvergun XBLA - best game ever

Check amazon, playasia and ebay for sales.
All superb and play on US consoles.
Sadly the ps3 doesn't have many AAA shmups[/QUOTE]

I have Ginga Force And Eschatos coming from YesAsia...surprisingly I have all those other games.

*puts on shmup shades*

[quote name='thegame85']I have Ginga Force And Eschatos coming from YesAsia...surprisingly I have all those other games.

*puts on shmup shades*[/QUOTE]

Go you man.... we need more people like you!!

My shmup collection for the 360, in a word? COMPLETE!

*puts on those old people sunglasses that cover half of their face*

[quote name='Gabrius']Go you man.... we need more people like you!!

*puts on those old people sunglasses that cover half of their face*[/QUOTE]

I've been craving something different since I've been on a bit of a gaming lull as of late, I'm hoping Schmups are it. I will check out some of the games ya'lls mentioned and call ya'll in the morning

---puts on Blue Blockers glasses and kicks some funky rhymes 'bout em---

[quote name='Gabrius']Go you man.... we need more people like you!!

*puts on those old people sunglasses that cover half of their face*[/QUOTE]

Do you have Bullet Soul? I'm interested but it's expensive. I'm also hoping that Caladrius is region free!

[quote name='thegame85']Do you have Bullet Soul? I'm interested but it's expensive. I'm also hoping that Caladrius is region free![/QUOTE]

I have everything released for the 360.

Bullet Soul is fun, the type than can be enjoyed a beginner to the genre. Challenge is quite low, but that's not what I'm always looking for in a shmup.

From what I remember, Caladrius will not be region free. It's coming in a few weeks, though, so I'll try booting it in my NA 360 when it does ^_^

[quote name='Rsmobile']Man, I'd get Ginga and Eschatos but not at $80.[/QUOTE]

While they're my 2 faves on the 360, I definitely understand your perspective.

The way I see it, I save enough on everything else. I have a bit extra to pour into this lovely little genre ;)

[quote name='Gabrius']While they're my 2 faves on the 360, I definitely understand your perspective.

The way I see it, I save enough on everything else. I have a bit extra to pour into this lovely little genre ;)[/QUOTE]

That good huh? I'll have to do research.

Eschatos is OOS anyway.

[quote name='Rsmobile']That good huh? I'll have to do research.

Eschatos is OOS anyway.[/QUOTE]

Ginga is the game I had hoped the Otomedius titles would be... the customization is something I've wanted in a competent shmup for a very long time.

Eschatos is just.... classic fun. My go to shmup. And even at the price, it's an incredible value when you consider the WS games it comes with are near impossible to find otherwise.

I'd recommend both to anyone without hesitation.

[quote name='Gabrius']So... this'll probably make your day, but everyone else take notice as well:

You can change the shooting mechanic. There is an option to turn on dual analog mode, making your heli control like a twin stick shooter.

I understand why it wasn't the default option.... but it really should've been.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I tried that option last night and it's definitely much better than the default. I'd still rather have the "standard" setup for shmups though.

[quote name='bjstucker']I have no idea how only needing 5 continues means I am "doing it wrong" :roll: I am guessing I need to die more to enjoy the game? More over it might just not be that hard of a shooter. Like you said though its your game so enjoy ![/QUOTE]
You're not "doing it wrong". But needing 5 continues means that the game isn't that easy for you. Easier for you than it is for me but not "easy" as most hardcore shmup fans would describe it.

It's actually a PS2 game but I'm a huge fan of Raiden 3 (available from PSN). I think Raiden 4 is available from XBLA. The Raiden series of games are, far and away, my favorite shmups.

[quote name='ElektroDragon']I rented this game. Can't believe it wasn't just a $5 downloadable title. A whole BluRay release for this PoS?[/QUOTE]

I know, it's just some 40 minute long game, right?!!

wrong

[quote name='ElektroDragon']I rented this game. Can't believe it wasn't just a $5 downloadable title. A whole BluRay release for this PoS?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the worthless post. Allow me to reply in kind :D

[quote name='Donut2922']What happened to the OP? Why did Chunli get banned? I just noticed this now.[/QUOTE]

Very strange! Wonder what happened? Not even "temp banned", just straight banned!

bread's done
Back