Unoffical Upgrade your PS3 HDD thread

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I got a question, to see if something like this is possible.

I am shortly going to run out of space on my 160 gb (like 50 gigs left), and I am considering a HD upgrade.

Anyway I can save all my game saves in the cloud, but something I am worried about is losing all my PS+ content (since they are still on my drive).

Would there be any way to just back up the PS+ stuff? I don't mind redownloading all my PSN games and stuff.

Reason I ask is I have an external HD that's formatted to NTFS and I just don't want to have to create a new fat 32 partition on it. (Especially when all my PS+ content can fit on an 8 GB thumb drive)/[/QUOTE]

It's to possible to backup only part of the Hd, it's either all or nothing (with the exception of music or video, that can be moved at will). I don't understand your concern with the PS+ stuff. Once you download it it just like any other PSN content, it will be on your download list and you can download it as many times as you want (as long s you subscription is active). So if you don't have a problem with downloading the PSN stuff, neither should you have a problem with the PS+ stuff

By the way, trophy information isn't backed up, so synchronize your trophies before changing the HD

[quote name='erequena']It's to possible to backup only part of the Hd, it's either all or nothing (with the exception of music or video, that can be moved at will). I don't understand your concern with the PS+ stuff. Once you download it it just like any other PSN content, it will be on your download list and you can download it as many times as you want (as long s you subscription is active). So if you don't have a problem with downloading the PSN stuff, neither should you have a problem with the PS+ stuff

By the way, trophy information isn't backed up, so synchronize your trophies before changing the HD[/QUOTE]
Oh I didn't know that I could redownload the PS+ stuff at anytime. Well then, since that's the case I might consider getting a new HD then in a month or two. Since I can cloud backup all my saves or just usb thumb drive them.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0364730

Picked this 100gb drive up today. $24.99 + $2.49 for 2 year replacement plan. It's a hitachi 5400 drive, recertified/refurbished.

Backed my data up, put this new drive in, and now I went from 40gb to 83gb of space. :D

I'm glad sony made it so easy for us to upgrade the hdd. Now I'll have room for infamous and other free stuff from welcome back.

Plus, my ps3 hdd is now an external harddrive for backing up my pc.

[quote name='MorPhiend']I think any of the BPVT models use 4KB. You need to get the BEVT models for the PS3. I'm sportin' the WD6400BEVT. It was on sale on Amazon a couple of weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

Im installing that drive right now. Wanted to thank you for making the choice easy.

Well that sucked. Sony snuck a firmware update in between the time I backed up my HDD and installed the new one. Weird things happened . I managed to get thru it with the help of this thread. Thanks to all.

With Sony starting to have good deals on full size game downloads (like burnout paradise and Borderlands) I decided to take the plunge on a WD 500 GB BEVT as my 80 gig is quickly running out of space.

[quote name='basilofbkrst']These drive bay screws make me want to punch several babies.[/QUOTE]

lol yep on my 60gb I swear they were plastic

Do you have to make a backup of your old data, or can you just stick the old drive in an enclosure and ask the ps3 to restore from there? This would save a lot of seemingly unnecessary trouble, but it obviously won't work if the ps3 compresses or otherwise alters the files during the backup process.

I upgraded my pSlim the day i got it. removed the HD and installed corsair SSD 120GB. backed up all data (including saves!!!) to an external drive. i am always the first on the map in socom and CODBO. everythign loads pretty fast, and startup of system is quick. never had any problems. make sure you backup regularly though, and if you buy videos form sony, de-authorize your system after every movie, otherwise sony will not let you xfer them to another system if yours dies. hard lesson. f sony service.

[quote name='crezymunky']I upgraded my pSlim the day i got it. removed the HD and installed corsair SSD 120GB. backed up all data (including saves!!!) to an external drive. i am always the first on the map in socom and CODBO. everythign loads pretty fast, and startup of system is quick. never had any problems. make sure you backup regularly though, and if you buy videos form sony, de-authorize your system after every movie, otherwise sony will not let you xfer them to another system if yours dies. hard lesson. f sony service.[/QUOTE]

Why is that? Aren't movies handled the same way as games (5 authorized consoles)?

[quote name='eau']Shoot! WD50000BPVT is an Advanced Format drive which utilities a 4KB sector size. PS3 uses the legacy 512B sector size. The mismatch could reportedly cause some stuttering in streaming and such. Again, google for more info.[/QUOTE]

I've been searching the web and haven't found any concrete evidence that the 4k causes stuttering, any links you could provide?

[quote name='lokizz']has anyone found a fix for the ps3 error 800283F0?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, screw that error. It appears many people get that one with the restore from backup. Some people seem to resolve the issue by removing all of the extra game install from disc games so they are only backing up PSN games, saves, etc. Sounds like a real load of shit that Sony should acknowledge and fix. I haven't had a chance to try it out since I wasted the night doing the backup of 50GB that took almost 2 hours and trying to restore twice at 1.5 hrs each when it hit 100% and "less than a minute left" and gave me this error!!! :bomb:

FYI, here is the official meaning of the 800283F0 error code
http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=939&errorCode=800283F0

fuck Sony for fucking me once again. 6th Backup and Restore failed once again with the same 800283F0 error. I'm trying one last backup that only contained my gameshared games that I really want to still have and deleted everything else save for my primary game saves that are also not the copy-protected ones. Stupid thing is that my backup that was one step back from this one and almost twice the size was estimated to take half the time. What gets me is how the hell can the restore take hours to run yet only restore a couple MB of saves and my profiles with nothing else?

I do not look forward to redownloading and reinstalling somewhere around 70GB of stuff.

I'm going to attempt to switch a hdd from a slim to a phat and vice versa. Neither one of us will lose data? I'm already at my gamesharing max. I can't screw up.

[quote name='Smashbro29']I'm going to attempt to switch a hdd from a slim to a phat and vice versa. Neither one of us will lose data? I'm already at my gamesharing max. I can't screw up.[/QUOTE]

it wont work. Best to just deactivate a system

[quote name='62t']it wont work. Best to just deactivate a system[/QUOTE]

Ok. But like I said afterwards I'm just gonna go buy an upgrade because my pal decided he needed his. Surely just buying a new one and putting in won't screw with anything.

Upgraded using one of those 640gb there was a deal over summer. I had filled my 120 and now wonder if ill ever fill this. I deleted the install data.for my old games to make the the backup and restore go faster and I'm only up 100gb used now, with 2-3 years until ps4. Which will probably come with a bigger faster drive.

Some of you might think about this before you drop the $$$. Might just be best to get no drive or a huge one you can use in the ps4. Hoping they don't go the xbox route on HDDs

Tried again with my previously corrupting brand new HD, apparently it was a victim of the faulty firmware when I tried it 6 months or so ago. New firmware installed and I'm back up and running with 596 gigs of free space and a much faster HD.

The only problem I'm having is my saves not showing up on the Cloud, I know I uploaded them all too. Worst case scenario I just swap the HD one last time and slap them on a flash drive.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']any current good deals on whatever the max HDD size PS3 can take? I'm maxing my PS3 120 HDD already >_

[quote name='Smashbro29']So far I've found 1TB.

Question: What effect will this have on my gameshare slots?

What about the stuff I've gotten from gameshares?

Yes, I do plan on backing up to an external beforehand.[/QUOTE]
Literally the problem isn't storage, it's physical size, the 1TB drives are too big for a PS3 bay.

It looks like some 750's fit but YMMV.

[quote name='Mad39er']Literally the problem isn't storage, it's physical size, the 1TB drives are too big for a PS3 bay.

It looks like some 750's fit but YMMV.[/QUOTE]

HERE

Read the second review.

[quote name='Mad39er']Found this one too
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136927
For storage it's fine, it won't be anything faster than the PS3 has, so more of the same.[/QUOTE]

That one is WAYYYY too expensive.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Is that a good deal, or should I wait for a drop?

also, copying to another hard drive, then back to new isn't that bad or is it a pain ? I dread redownloading all my rock band tracks, but if I have to I'll do it.[/QUOTE]
I just asked a similar question. I can't find the answers anywhere.

What I suggest doing because I did back up to an old HDD I had is delete your game installs and non-essential stuff because the USB transfer rates suck. Ideally just keep the games installed already that you need to keep(ie; gameshares) and get rid of the stuff you can install on your own later. Makes the backing up process so much easier.

After much Googling. There is NOTHING to worry about if you're switching up HDD. Just make sure to back it up using the backup utility on the XMB. EVERYTHING remains. All you have to do is restore.

Just an FYI, not to double post but I will post this experience. Installing GT5 with my newer 640 gig 7200rpm 16MB cache Samsung Spinpoint takes 30 minutes which is normally a 50-60 minute install on the stock PS3 HD. Anything that access the HDD will receive a boost, like the XMB since all Slim PS3 firmwares are installed on the HDD.

It's an improvement, it's not a night and day but it's there. It doesn't warrant more than $20 in price difference if that's making your decision between a 7200 and a 5400 identical set of drives.

mkay cool, I'll do the ol' backup then when I have to...

still hoping for a good deal on a HDD

[quote name='Mad39er']Just an FYI, not to double post but I will post this experience. Installing GT5 with my newer 640 gig 7200rpm 16MB cache Samsung Spinpoint takes 30 minutes which is normally a 50-60 minute install on the stock PS3 HD. Anything that access the HDD will receive a boost, like the XMB since all Slim PS3 firmwares are installed on the HDD.

It's an improvement, it's not a night and day but it's there. It doesn't warrant more than $20 in price difference if that's making your decision between a 7200 and a 5400 identical set of drives.[/QUOTE]

yeah, for the past few months my XMB has been chugging alot... way more than it use to.

[quote name='Smashbro29']Now to find a good deal on a 1TB drive. Cheapest I've found is 90$. Anyone find cheaper?[/QUOTE]
I'd say wait for Black Friday or troll Newegg's daily deals.

[quote name='Mad39er']I'd say wait for Black Friday or troll Newegg's daily deals.[/QUOTE]

I don't have that luxury. I need a new HDD by the time a new game comes out or I am shit outta luck.

You know you can swap between HDDs as long as the firmware is the same, right? Even getting a temporary one just to run a game or so is more than alright. I swapped between my two HDDs for exactly that reason. The old one will still be viable as long as you keep their firmware the same. Get a cheap/free one until you hit your price point as swapping takes less than a minute.

[quote name='Mad39er']You know you can swap between HDDs as long as the firmware is the same, right? Even getting a temporary one just to run a game or so is more than alright. I swapped between my two HDDs for exactly that reason. The old one will still be viable as long as you keep their firmware the same. Get a cheap/free one until you hit your price point as swapping takes less than a minute.[/QUOTE]

I only have 1. I need to buy a second. Might as well spend that little extra I would've spent on the cheap one to get a better one the first time.

Best Buy has a 500GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue 5400RPM for $79.99. $71.99 after 10% off coupon. Most stores seem to have it in stock.

first link in the OP is 404'd

I was going to ask a question about how necessary it was to back up.. but it looks like I've gotten my answer so... yeah i'm good. thanks anyway to that alternate universe where I went thru with it.

just picked up a 500GB external drive (will crack it open) for $39 on clearance.. not a bad deal ehh

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally decided to upgrade my 160 GB Slim PS3 Hard Drive to a 500 GB one last night.  But right after the exchange and putting the older HDD into an external USB case, both my Windows 7 and Vista laptops didn't list it under My Computer. 

When I plugged it into the 2 laptops, I can hear a sound, followed by the message that a new device was installed successfully.  I can also see the external USB drive under the Device Manager, but I just can't see it under My Computer so I can't reformat the drive or do anything else to it.

Did Sony place some sort of protection on their drive to prevent piracy, rendering it useless after an upgrade?  It seems a bit harsh since Sony advertises that the PS3 HDDs are upgradeable. 

bread's done
Back