Unoffical Upgrade your PS3 HDD thread

I'll try that. But can I reformat the external drive, if I can find it under Administrative Tools, to FAT32, or does it have to be NTSC? I wanted to keep it FAT32 if I can so that I can back up PS3 game data and such. It should already be FAT32 anyway since it's the original PS3 Slim HDD.

Edit: I just did that, and the External USB drive is not there under Admin Tools > Computer Management > Storage. The only drive that's there is my laptop's HDD. It's also not under My Computer either. But I can see the external USB drive under Device Manager, though I can't format it there. I tried uninstalling it from there, and then scan for hardware change, which brought it back, but still couldn't see it under My Computer. I read that some people were recommending changing the drive designation of the external USB to something else, but there was no option to do that. I appreciate the help.

I couldn't see it under My Computer to format it.

Did you format the hdd
Search for Administrative Tools. Click on Computer Management and then storage. Find the the drive and it should be under an unrecognized format. Delete that partition and make a new one as NTFS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll try that. But can I reformat the external drive, if I can find it under Administrative Tools, to FAT32, or does it have to be NTSC? I wanted to keep it FAT32 if I can so that I can back up PS3 game data and such. It should already be FAT32 anyway since it's the original PS3 Slim HDD.

Did you format the hdd
Search for Administrative Tools. Click on Computer Management and then storage. Find the the drive and it should be under an unrecognized format. Delete that partition and make a new one as NTFS.
FAT32 is fine but individual files can't be >4gb and you need a 3rd party tool to format the whole drive as FAT32 because windoze won't allow you.

Either way, it seems that I cannot see the external USB drive under My Computer to format it either way.

Did you format the hdd
FAT32 is fine but individual files can't be >4gb and you need a 3rd party tool to format the whole drive as FAT32 because windoze won't allow you.

ive got a quick question...i'm looking to upgrade my hard drive, but I have several different users on my system from various gameshares from before the gameshare nuclear bomb was dropped.  I ran the backup utility (from my main account) and thats all done.  will I need to run that backup utility from every user, or will I be ok and able to access all the content still when I use the restore utility?

help?  I likely wont upgrade if I wont be able to get access to the prior content...

bread's done
Back