Unoffical Upgrade your PS3 HDD thread

if you dont have a way of formatting your hd with a desktop or laptop (w/ an external enclosure or sata to usb cable):

you can actually d/l the current firmware (2.41) onto a flash drive... so when you start up the ps3 with the new hd, you can install that onto the new hd. it will also format the new hd aswell.

[quote name='fatez']when i did a backup for my ps3, i just used my 30gb ipod. that worked fine :)[/quote]

I wonder if a 30gb zune will work, or even the really old 60gb Ipods.

[quote name='v1et r1ce']I wonder if a 30gb zune will work, or even the really old 60gb Ipods.[/quote]
i used an old 60gb ipod to install a new hd for my girlfriend's ps3 and that worked fine. i am sure the 30gb zune should work aswell. if your ps3 isnt loaded with too much stuff currently it shouldn't be a problem. if the psn games or demos are taking up too much space, u can always redownload them. :)

[quote name='StrandedBrit']Actually they do have it in stock, but 'almost gone'.

Seagate Momentus 160GB for $47.50

add something else that qualifies for free shipping for 2.50 into your cart and you get it all for 50 total (free shipping for $50 and up total)![/quote]

It's out of stock now and I noticed it says it's 'factory recertified', which to me means USED(even if it was just a store return).

So if one wanted to put in a new hard drive you would have to burn up another one of your downloads for playstation network games correct? If that is the case then those of us who used gameshare and used up our 4 or 5 downloads won't be able to take our games with us to the new hard drive?

[quote name='Purkeynator']So if one wanted to put in a new hard drive you would have to burn up another one of your downloads for playstation network games correct? If that is the case then those of us who used gameshare and used up our 4 or 5 downloads won't be able to take our games with us to the new hard drive?[/quote]
nope... if you make a backup of your ps3 and then restore the backup onto the new hd, it will be the same as it was with the old hd... only with more space. so u wont lose a d/l slot on the psn. the only way u will lose the slot is if you dont back up, then u would have to create a new account. but if you back up, you will still have your original account.

edit: actually if you dont back up, you could still probably use the same existing account... only thing is, psn would probably think that the ps3 is a different machine. therefore it would take up another d/l slot. but if you back up, it shouldnt use up another d/l slot. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Purkeynator']So if one wanted to put in a new hard drive you would have to burn up another one of your downloads for playstation network games correct? If that is the case then those of us who used gameshare and used up our 4 or 5 downloads won't be able to take our games with us to the new hard drive?[/quote]

It's actually 5 REGISTERED PS3s. Not five downloads. Though backing up saves a ton of time. Do you have any idea how long it would take a normal person to redownload 3-4 gb of stuff? Let alone nearly 10 from downloadable games at 6 mb per sec? But yeah. I need a backup hard drive soon.

Haven't been keeping track but looks like ~0.30/GB is a good price? Fry's has the 250G Fujitsu ATA/150 on sale for $80. It's in today's Fry's add.

please forgive me for asking a stupid question. but here goes:

when i backup save my harddrive will I lose my rock band gamesave since I downloaded other songs?

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']please forgive me for asking a stupid question. but here goes:

when i backup save my harddrive will I lose my rock band gamesave since I downloaded other songs?[/quote]
if you back up your hard drive, you will not lose anything.

I am really uninformed when it comes to this and completely unsure on how to even change the hard drives. But I need to know where I go to buy say an 80gb Hard drive for my PS3. I currently have the 40gb model. I also need information in regards to backing up all my saved data from purchased PSn games and saved game content from existing games in my library. Thank :)

you should probably go for a bigger side for just a little bit more of money but the regular places you can buy a harddrive for the ps3 is newegg, zipzoomfly, etc. etc...computer websites.

Any recommendations on what HDD I should order or purchase in store? And the best places to do so. I am completely ignorant when it comes to this kind of stuff and don't wanna end up messing up my PS3.

I've been looking at the seagate momentus harddrives in the 250 gig range. I'm in no hurry myself though to upgrade just yet.

I'm down to about 42 gigs on my 80 gig with DMC4, Ratchet and Clank, Assassins Creed, MGS4, GTA4, some movies, various saved games, PAIN, and probably some other things. So I would really recommend going up in size more then just an extra 40 gigs. That space can be used up fast.

And as for how to do it, I would recommend looking online for some video tutorials. And depending upon what external storage devices you have I would say manually copy your save files to a thumbdrive or something if you are limited on space, move those to your computer, delete all game installs and anything else easily re-obtainable then go into the PS3 system options and let it back up what is left after you deleted everything else.

The rest should be covered more thoroughly on a number of websites and youtube videos.

[quote name='element676']Any recommendations on what HDD I should order or purchase in store? And the best places to do so. I am completely ignorant when it comes to this kind of stuff and don't wanna end up messing up my PS3.[/quote]

You just have to make sure that the HDD is 9.5mm in height. The Toshiba you mention in your other thread meets this requirement when you read the specifications tab.

You can't go wrong with Newegg, but check other drives, since there are some that have free shipping for basically the same price.

And you won't mess up your PS3, just follow one of the many guides available online. Example: http://www.gamespot.com/features/6176090/index.html

No it doesn't matter. Those are good drives. You might as well pick up a hard drive enclosure as well and use the old drive as a portable.

from what i still remember tho, there's no point in getting a 7200 rpm over a 5400 rpm drive...or has that rumor been squashed?

[quote name='forgrim']from what i still remember tho, there's no point in getting a 7200 rpm over a 5400 rpm drive...or has that rumor been squashed?[/QUOTE]

Even if the PS3 can take advantage of a faster harddrive I would still be paranoid about the extra heat.

it's very easy to upgrade. Go to Newegg to buy your HDD, they are dirt cheap now. Keep in mind some games take over 4GB to install so you can see how 40gb won't serve much purpose if you plan on putting media content in the future.

If you're unsure on how to change your HDD youtube it, there will be tons of videos available. Game saves and items from the PS store can be downloaded easily. Game saves need to be backed up using a flash drive and transferred to your new HDD. Google this if you're unsure how. DLC from the PS Store can be downloaded again once purchased.

The whole process is quit simple. To be honest the hardest thing for me was removing the screws for the original HDD in the ps3. Just be careful not to strip the screws or else you're going to have a fun time removing them ;).

whatever drive you get, make sure you get a external 2.5 SATA enclsure so that you can attach the new hard drive to the PS3 via the enclosure and then transfer your information to the new drive... then you can use the old drive as an extra external 40gb , or you can just use it as a back of the information you already have. That's the good thing about PS3 is that when you upgrade your HDD you can still use the old one. Oh yeah, use the software that comes with the new HDD to put the drive into FAT32 format.

whatever drive you get, make sure you get a external 2.5 SATA enclsure so that you can attach the new hard drive to the PS3 via the enclosure and then transfer your information to the new drive... then you can use the old drive as an extra external 40gb , or you can just use it as a back of the information you already have. That's the good thing about PS3 is that when you upgrade your HDD you can still use the old one. Oh yeah, use the software that comes with the new HDD to put the drive into FAT32 format. Yesterday 07:46 PM

So you recommend transfering the info directly to the new HDD rather than buying a flash reader or whatever to transfer the data too as has been suggested? Just making sure I am understanding you correctly

[quote name='element676']So you recommend transfering the info directly to the new HDD rather than buying a flash reader or whatever to transfer the data too as has been suggested? Just making sure I am understanding you correctly[/QUOTE]

I think if you have a big enough memory stick, you'll be ok w/o the enclosure. However, in doing some research, it would appear that it's highly recommended to get an enclosure and use that as the transfer device vs. a memory stick. Then you know you'll have enough memory to transfer all of your stuff (incl. downloads) AND be able to use your old drive as a back up.

i was just wondering if i upgrade from my 80gb HD, will i still be able to play ps2 games? and will it formate it self?

I told my wife for X-mas, I want a new HD for my PS3! I just hope it doesn't fill up by then... I am down to around 1GB now. Is there a way to defrag the PS3's hard drive? I doubt it but I thought I'd ask.

This is why I'd rather have the game instead of downloading it. I also delete all demos when I get the game and transfer movies, songs, and pictures onto my external HD. Internal HD are extremely cheap for 120GB+, thinking about getting a 2TB drive.

so will 7200 rpm cause more heat? Does 3.0gb/s vs 1.5gb/s have any effect on the heat? I would like to get a 720 rpm with 3.0gb/s hard drive but not if it'll make the ps3 run hotter than it is now.

Just curious....has anyone purchased an external HDD, opened it, and used the 2.5" Hard Drive that comes in there? Should not be any different, correct?

I have Best Buy Gift Cards and I noticed the external HDD are almost $100 cheaper there for a 320GB one. Just curious if that would be wise.

Sorry if this is the wrong area to post in, but anyway I recently received a 1 Tb harddrive as a present and I need to format it to use on my ps3 how do I do this? I know it has to be Fat32 or something but I don't know how to go about formatting the drive to make it that way. Anyone please help

Is the drive external? Regardless, you should be able to format it to FAT32 with a program called SwissKnife. I believe you should also be able to do it via Windows Device Manager.

Just thought I'd chime in...I recently upgrade my PS3, using a 320GB Samsung drive and a 750GB Acomdata PureDrive External hard drive.

The caveat with the the Acomdata PureDrives is that once their USB connection is severed, you MUST turn the drive off and then turn it on again in order for Windows/your PS3 to recognize it again. When I restored my PS3 to the new drive, I had to turn the Acomdata drive off when my PS3 powered down, and then turn it back on when it came back up.

If I didn't do this, my PS3 would never see the external drive (since the USB connection is severed when the PS3 reboots). It took me several hours of research to discover this fact (it was buried on some random tech support forum somewhere), so I thought it might help some CAG trying to do the same thing.

[quote name='silks']Is the drive external? Regardless, you should be able to format it to FAT32 with a program called SwissKnife. I believe you should also be able to do it via Windows Device Manager.

Just thought I'd chime in...I recently upgrade my PS3, using a 320GB Samsung drive and a 750GB Acomdata PureDrive External hard drive.

The caveat with the the Acomdata PureDrives is that once their USB connection is severed, you MUST turn the drive off and then turn it on again in order for Windows/your PS3 to recognize it again. When I restored my PS3 to the new drive, I had to turn the Acomdata drive off when my PS3 powered down, and then turn it back on when it came back up.

If I didn't do this, my PS3 would never see the external drive (since the USB connection is severed when the PS3 reboots). It took me several hours of research to discover this fact (it was buried on some random tech support forum somewhere), so I thought it might help some CAG trying to do the same thing.[/quote]

thanks for the help. the hard drive is an external one. Looks like I will have to download that program in two weeks once I finish up with school. Are there any more obstacles that I need to worry about?

[quote name='doubledown']Just curious....has anyone purchased an external HDD, opened it, and used the 2.5" Hard Drive that comes in there? Should not be any different, correct?

I have Best Buy Gift Cards and I noticed the external HDD are almost $100 cheaper there for a 320GB one. Just curious if that would be wise.[/QUOTE]

Anyone on this? I'm assuming it would work fine, and then I would replace the 60GB HDD from the PS3 and use it in the case that with my purchased external HDD.

What brand is best? Maxtor, Western Digital or Simpletech (never heard, but Best Buy sells it).

[quote name='doubledown']Anyone on this? I'm assuming it would work fine, and then I would replace the 60GB HDD from the PS3 and use it in the case that with my purchased external HDD.

What brand is best? Maxtor, Western Digital or Simpletech (never heard, but Best Buy sells it).[/quote]

Generally, pre-built external drives aren't made so you can disassemble them and remove/upgrade the drive inside, so I doubt you'd be able to put it into your PS3, or anything else for that matter. You're much better off buying a stand-alone internal drive. If you have a use for an external drive, by an external enclosure.

Zipzoomfly has SEAGATE Momentus 160GB @ $56.99

i just bought SEAGATE Momentus 250GB @ $61.99 but its out right now

Zip also has a
Thermaltake Hard Drive Enclosure @ $7.99

[quote name='johnnypark']Generally, pre-built external drives aren't made so you can disassemble them and remove/upgrade the drive inside, so I doubt you'd be able to put it into your PS3, or anything else for that matter. You're much better off buying a stand-alone internal drive. If you have a use for an external drive, by an external enclosure.[/QUOTE]

I realize that they are not made to be opened....but they are definetly the same thing you would buy as for as the Hard Drive would go. I just want to do this because I have $100+ Best Buy Gift Cards/RZ cash and their Internal drives are about $200 and the external are $125 for a 320GB. I know this is more than NewEgg....but it is free to me since I have Gift Cards.

Just curious if anyone ever opened an internal drive. Not sure if they have screws on them or possibly hidden under rubber feet. I've seen some instructions on how to disassemble them, but nothing for the ones I am looking at.

I know for a fact that they are same hard drives you would buy as an internal one, only with a nice case around it.

[quote name='fatez']I've installed 2 of these drives on 2 40gb ps3s. There was also a sale on the drive for $99.99 last week at newegg. It's an awesome drive for the ps3, although bewarned that there is a bug if you are trying to install this now with the 2.41 firmware. All the PSN games will have corrupted save data files. It will be unable to create a new save file aswell and they will all come out corrupted. But there is a simple fix that doesn't quite make sense. All you have to do is create an internal memory card (either psone/ps2) should be fine. That solved the issue for me, which I dont understand why.[/QUOTE]

anybody else experience this? im abotu to order that drive but that bothers me.

im thinking of doing this somehow i magically have only have 15GB left i wonder where those gigs went to

yeah its crazy. i didnt realize how much is installed. plus all the psn stuff i have.
ive been using my 40gb for 2 months and i have 7gb left.

[quote name='doubledown']Just curious if anyone ever opened an internal drive. Not sure if they have screws on them or possibly hidden under rubber feet. I've seen some instructions on how to disassemble them, but nothing for the ones I am looking at.

I know for a fact that they are same hard drives you would buy as an internal one, only with a nice case around it.[/quote]

I have done this very thing. I picked up a WD 250GB from Best Buy, cracked open the case, put that drive in my PS3 and the 60GB drive from the PS3 in the case. So yes, it's definitely possible.

[quote name='xeex']I have done this very thing. I picked up a WD 250GB from Best Buy, cracked open the case, put that drive in my PS3 and the 60GB drive from the PS3 in the case. So yes, it's definitely possible.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! That is what I was looking for. I'm assuming most of the 2.5" External drives have SATA drives in them, correct?

I know WD is not on sale yet....maybe next week. I know the Simpletech actually used WD or Samsung drives....I found that interesting. Maybe I will get the MAxtor one....I guess I just want one where the External enclosure is "EASY" to open.

[quote name='doubledown']Thanks! That is what I was looking for. I'm assuming most of the 2.5" External drives have SATA drives in them, correct?

I know WD is not on sale yet....maybe next week. I know the Simpletech actually used WD or Samsung drives....I found that interesting. Maybe I will get the MAxtor one....I guess I just want one where the External enclosure is "EASY" to open.[/QUOTE]

Let me know how that goes, I might try the same..

[quote name='Gspoon']Zipzoomfly has SEAGATE Momentus 160GB @ $56.99

i just bought SEAGATE Momentus 250GB @ $61.99 but its out right now

Zip also has a
Thermaltake Hard Drive Enclosure @ $7.99 [/quote]

My HDD just died last night so I guess I'm in the market for a new drive. Too bad I missed out on that 250gb listed above. That would have been a steal for that price. Has anyone else found any good deals lately? I might just pick up that 160gb model for $56.99. How quick is their shipping?

bread's done
Back