UPDATE: Okami, Maximo vs. AoZ?, Disgaea HoD and Odin Sphere Greatest Hits 9/2

willardhaven

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I don't know if it's been mentioned but these Atlus games are now Greatest Hits shipping on September 2nd.

Enjoy if you haven't already (well Disgaea at least, I didn't fancy Odin Sphere).

UPDATE: Supposedly Maximo 2 and Okami are also becoming Greatest Hits in September.

Okami sort of makes sense since there is demand, but Maximo 2 is readily available for 5 dollars new online.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel the slowdown
especially during the final Gwendolyn/first Cornelius fight
was more of poor optimization of the software engine instead of the PS2. Mainly every section had no issues, except when the game flooded it with enemies. Notice that barely any other boss fights had the issue of slowdown. It was only when so many enemies/projectiles were on the screen did the issue arise.

However, hell must be freezing over since years ago, Atlus doing this sort of thing would have be unheard of, likely a joke.

I'm all for people collecting "rare" games, but in reality games like these need to be experience by everyone: They are quite good games. I'm very glad for FES because I never was able to purchase Persona 3 when it was hitting the $90ish price range. But when I was able to score it for $23 after Amazon coupons it was a great buy because it was so cheap and it was such a great game. Now if only Konami would wisen up and bring Suikoden 1+2 for the PSP to the US, or at least re-produce the greatest RPG in history (part 2 imho) for everyone to experience.

So yeah, good deal.

[quote name='SynGamer']Off-topic...i've lost my desire to play SRPGs on a console in front of the TV. Now, if they were on the PSP, that'd be an entirely different matter seeing as how i play it a few hours everyday.[/quote]

I'm with you 100%. PSP is the perfect format for SRPGs, and it has some great ones (Jeanne d'Arc, Disgaea AoD, FF Tactics). Now we just need Disgaea 2 to go portable, and for Level-5 to give us another one (yes, I'm a greedy pig).

I'm saying around 20-30 hours. Couldn't have been too many, cuz I rented it for 5-days from a store (had a coupon for a free game rental), and managed to beat it.

Tack on 5-10 hours if you want to get EVERY ending, because IIRC there's quite a few.

Disgaea eh? Rented it to death via Gamefly back in the day, but just didn't get around to beating it... cool. Will haveta' fix that.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']I didn't like Odin Sphere either, but if Disgaea's going greatest hits, I may just have to buy a copy of that instead of the DS version.[/quote]

If you have a PSP, get the PSP version. It's the superior version of the game.

Congrats to Atlus for getting their first two Greatest Hits titles. I'll agree that the timining w/ Disgaea 3's imminent launch is pretty good marketing on their part.

Odin Sphere was a memorable journey, that got frustrating at times. Even had to switch to Easy difficulty during a Mercedes boss fight. Should be worth the $20 price of admission, IMO.

Looking forward to the development team's upcoming project on the Wii.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I'm all for people collecting "rare" games, but in reality games like these need to be experience by everyone: They are quite good games.[/quote]

Yes.

Haven't played either but if the Crash Bandicoot games can make GH then so should these two. It's about time Atlus stepped out of their niche of ridiculously hard to find games and rightfully took a bite of the secondary market.

I distinctly remember Chrono Cross and Xenogears barely making the criteria for GH. Because of this, I got to experience one of my favorite RPGs.

Odin sphere isn't a game for everyone. I enjoyed it very very much, but I had to grind and make the characters god like just to be able to make the game easy ( it was still pretty tough in the end either way). I don't recommend it to people who don't have a lot of patience, unless you play it on easy mode. The game can be very unforgiving. The issue of slowdowns didn't really bother me a whole lot. It's not like it's most of the game with slowdowns. I would say 25% of the bosses in the game create slowdowns, with a few of those being almost extreme. Everything else in the game moves fluidly. If you know how to only do a 2 hit combo to recover yourself instead of a full 4 hit combo motion + doing the 15 x 6 or 9x10 alchemy combo to raise your sypher levels to upper 30s, then you basically take advantage of the game's system to make the game easy.
I would also say the game is repetitious, in terms of recycling bosses for each character. But I actually went through the whole storyline without gameplay on the story archive. and the story is actually really really good. Some of the justifications for the boss encounters were kind of stupid, but the game is really rewarding in the storyline if you watch through the events by sequence in time.

[quote name='62t']lol at people who thought Odin Sphere was going to be rare and cost $100.[/QUOTE]

There were two different releases for Odin Sphere. The original release had a memory card holder and the later version had no memory card slot which was seen recently on the Gamestop's Game Days sale. Hey, It has stopped such games like Final Fantasy 7 and Pikmin 2 decrease in price on Ebay when a Greatest Hits version appeared on the market.

I picked up Odin Sphere during the game days sale and its just repetitive and boring. I played through the first chapter and then quit because I couldn't stand the boredom.

Disgaea, on the other hand, is great and a must play.

[quote name='SynGamer']Off-topic...i've lost my desire to play SRPGs on a console in front of the TV. Now, if they were on the PSP, that'd be an entirely different matter seeing as how i play it a few hours everyday.[/quote]

This.

SRPGs should be made only for hand-helds. I have Disgaea, for the Ps2, but as soon as I heard that a PSP port was coming out I stopped playing it and picked up the PSP version.

ah...if I didn't have one of first printings of Disgaea HoD, I'd be all over this :D

Let the reign of Overlord Laharl continue to expand! *Insert Laharl Laugh*

[quote name='Ecofreak']Congrats to Atlus for getting their first two Greatest Hits titles. I'll agree that the timining w/ Disgaea 3's imminent launch is pretty good marketing on their part.

Odin Sphere was a memorable journey, that got frustrating at times. Even had to switch to Easy difficulty during a Mercedes boss fight. Should be worth the $20 price of admission, IMO.

Looking forward to the development team's upcoming project on the Wii.[/quote]

except NIS are publishing Disgaea 3 themselves so this won't benefit Atlus at all in that regard

also has Vanillaware ever really said anything about what exactly Muramasa, their Wii game, is supposed to be? I can't seem to find any details outside of the fact its name is Muramasa and its going to be some sorta sim

[quote name='canedaddy']I'm with you 100%. PSP is the perfect format for SRPGs, and it has some great ones (Jeanne d'Arc, Disgaea AoD, FF Tactics). Now we just need Disgaea 2 to go portable, and for Level-5 to give us another one (yes, I'm a greedy pig).[/quote]
Dark Cloud 3 ;)

[quote name='dan13l858']There were two different releases for Odin Sphere. The original release had a memory card holder and the later version had no memory card slot which was seen recently on the Gamestop's Game Days sale.[/quote]

Yeah, but how would you even know this without opening it? At that point, it's not worth mega cash on eBay anymore. I don't even think PS2 games by its time of release had white labels anymore, either, so that couldn't be a giveaway.

Sweet! I just beat HoD, no idea it was gonna be a GH title. For the price I may have to buy it now (if only it wouldn't go to a black screen after bootup when the component cables are hooked up, playing through the game with crappy RGB cables was annoying).

Odin Sphere was fun, too, but I can't see myself playing through it ever again.

I didn't like Odin Sphere all that much except for the art. Disgaea, on the other hand, is a classic. It's great that many more people will get to enjoy it.

i admit odin sphere was a little underwhelming, but it was still a fairly solid game and the presentation (voice acting, animation, art direction) is undoubtedly amongst the PS2's best.

as for disagea, i'm not into SRPGs so while it's cool to see it go GH, i won't be picking it up.

nice to see atlus games hit GH -- i sincerely doubt though that any more of them will get to the proper sale point -- IMHO, odin sphere's success had as much to do with its timing as it did its content; and well disagea took a looooong time along with several reprints. the next best candidate is persona 3 but it's pretty far off.

persona 4 might have a shot, too, if it lives up to critics' expectations. still, it has a holiday's worth of games on wii, 360, and ps3 to contend with. so ... once again, unlikely.

I'd be really surprised if either of these moved 150k units at retail. As resales on fleabay and lamestop maybe.. but kind of strange that not only an Atlus title is going GH, but also so late in the PS2's life. I mean.. why not go the digital distribution route, and put them on the PS store as well? It's very doable, but it's good to see both back at retail (I'm guessing to take a bite out of the high prices lamestop charges for it used).

[quote name='forumreader']Disgaea seeing a GH could be to help promote and drive sales of Disgaea 3. Not sure what is up with Odin Sphere, though.[/quote]
This.

[quote name='MightySlacker']For those keeping track, this is at least the 5TH printing of Disgaea[/quote]Not to mention ports to two different handhelds. For a "niche" game, it's become pretty ubiquitous.

[quote name='MightySlacker']For those keeping track, this is at least the 5TH printing of Disgaea

Dave[/QUOTE]

I forgot about this. I wonder how many units were moved by the GameQuest reprint.

It just seems like a really out-of-the-blue move. Maybe Sony is trying to build interest in Atlus games and shooting for some exclusivity in future titles? I would have figured that Okami would've gotten GH prints before any Atlus game.

Stop giving Odin Sphere such a hard time. The story and art is what made that game great. It certainly wasn't the gameplay.

Yeah when I mentioned my distaste for it I didn't think people would start bashing it left and right.

I hated the game but for some 20 dollars is worth it for the art and other design aspects.

[quote name='willardhaven']Yeah when I mentioned my distaste for it I didn't think people would start bashing it left and right.[/QUOTE]

You know it's funny because I wanted Odin Sphere for the longest time, and finally found it cheap somewhere (CC I think) a while back and picked it up. I love 2D games and the art was just WOW. I finally started playing the game full time a couple nights ago so it's fresh in my mind. I can sum up my opinion in one sentence.

Odin Sphere is a beautiful, beautiful game with a great story that is incredibly tedious and unfun to play.

It starts out well enough, but it's super repetitive and incorporates two things that I have really grown to hate in games. 1) Extremely Limited storage for your character where every item drop you come upon results in hand-wringing decisions on what you should drop to pick it up, and 2) an alchemy sub-game. I hate that shit and it seems it's all the rage now. The game is a little on the hard side with some cheap-ass bosses to boot.

All-in-all after a couple nights with it I downloaded a save for the PS3 from gamefaqs so I could watch the lengthy cutscenes and skip the tedious game. It will be sold shortly.

How did Okami even sell 500k on PS2? I thought it was a total bomb. Hence why it went to Wii, and sort of bombed too.

If true, I'll be picking up Okami day one. I've heard the Wii version seems kind of glitchy and freeze happy. I wanted to pick up the PS2 version around the time the OkamWii came out but Amazon sold out.

Seems like there are a lot of people who missed out on the PS2 version. While I think the game is slightly overrated by the press, it's good.

Did Shadow of the Colossus sell well? I'm curious since that made GH a while ago. Maximo is a really odd choice though. I think Sony's just being really flexible like they usually are at the end of their console's life.

Fantabulous!

I just sold my sealed copy of Odin Sphere yesterday for $50 and sort of regretted it. Now I can forget about the regret.

Also, a reprint of Okami is excellent.

Im excited for that okami, one of the few PS2 games I've been dying to play since i stepped into SOny's court with the PS3. so heres to hoping.

p.s. anyone know if the 80gb has any problem playing okami?

Wow, that's great that they're making Okami a GH. I was considering getting it for the Wii since it had widescreen support and runs at a higher resolution, but would prefer the PS2 version for the controls. Now that the PS2 version will be cheap and widely available, it makes the decision easy.

Weird games to get GH status though, wonder if they lowered the requirements since I didn't think the PS2 version of Okami sold over 400k (it sold around 200k in the US, but did pretty poorly in Japan at around 80k and I don't think the European release would close the gap). Maybe they counted the sales of the Wii port with it, I know Nintendo included the sales of a game on other systems when branding Spiderman as a Player's Choice.

[quote name='Edge']Weird games to get GH status though, wonder if they lowered the requirements since I didn't think the PS2 version of Okami sold over 400k (it sold around 200k in the US, but did pretty poorly in Japan at around 80k and I don't think the European release would close the gap). Maybe they counted the sales of the Wii port with it, I know Nintendo included the sales of a game on other systems when branding Spiderman as a Player's Choice.[/quote]

I didn't know that about Nintendo, interesting. But they might have lowered the requirements for Greatest Hits status due to the PS3 GH launching. Those are the only reasons I can think of.

Quite unsuspecting titles actually. Let's see if anyone will pick up the gem that is Okami on the PS2 now. My friend tried my Wii copy, but hated the new controls. He would buy it on PS2 if he could find a new copy.

The only explanation I can see for these more niche kind of games becoming GH's is that there are a lot of PS2 owners who haven't moved onto the next-generation so they start to pick up great games that they originally passed up on because of the way they looked.

Is there anybody better at republishing their library than Sony? All three Sony platforms have the GH line while none of the current Nintendo platforms do not.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back