UPDATE: Okami, Maximo vs. AoZ?, Disgaea HoD and Odin Sphere Greatest Hits 9/2

willardhaven

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I don't know if it's been mentioned but these Atlus games are now Greatest Hits shipping on September 2nd.

Enjoy if you haven't already (well Disgaea at least, I didn't fancy Odin Sphere).

UPDATE: Supposedly Maximo 2 and Okami are also becoming Greatest Hits in September.

Okami sort of makes sense since there is demand, but Maximo 2 is readily available for 5 dollars new online.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DQT']Is there anybody better at republishing their library than Sony? All three Sony platforms have the GH line while none of the current Nintendo platforms do not.[/quote]

Well, PS3 just got their first few GH games, and I don't know how many Wii games would be deserving of a Player's Choice label. 1M sold and out for a year are the requirements right? Zelda and Wii Play maybe? Can't really think of any other titles that would fit the bill. RE4 for Wii has been out for a year but has it sold 1M? I'm sure Mario Kart, Galaxy, and Smash Bros will all be Player's Choice down the road though.

[quote name='missingno81']Why? just get the psp version at least you get the soundtracks and the optional Etna mode. Plus I wouldn't count on too many PS3 owners buying the game because they probably own the 40GB version PS3.

P.S. Nobody liked Odin Sphere, La Pucelle Tactics, or Soul Nomad.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if I were going to buy this it would be the PSP version, which 1) improved, and 2) portable (and I'll take some hits to graphics or whatever to get a portable version of a game!)

I'm glad I sold my Disgaea a year or two ago, before the reprints started coming. I know the blasphemy this will be on these boards, but I really didn't find Disgaea fun at all - and I'm a huge SRPG fan.

[quote name='the_punisher']Yeah, those idiots....:wall:[/quote]

Good thing this idiot only paid 13.00 at the CC clearance. Guess I can open and play it now :bouncy:

Just received a newsletter from Atlus. They officially confirmed Disgaea and Odin Sphere as the two GH titles.

[quote name='rpnguyen']Well, PS3 just got their first few GH games, and I don't know how many Wii games would be deserving of a Player's Choice label. 1M sold and out for a year are the requirements right? Zelda and Wii Play maybe? Can't really think of any other titles that would fit the bill. RE4 for Wii has been out for a year but has it sold 1M? I'm sure Mario Kart, Galaxy, and Smash Bros will all be Player's Choice down the road though.[/QUOTE]

The following games on the Wii would fulfill those requirements:

Zelda Twilight Princess
Mario Party 8
Super Paper Mario
Warioware Smooth Moves
Pokemon Battle Revolution
Super Mario Strikers Charged
Red Steel
Sonic and the Secret Rings

But yes, Sony has been great about making games Greatest Hits. Microsoft isn't bad, although not as many games seem to become Platinum Hits as there should be. Nintendo of course is the worst...they seem to completely hate the idea of reducing the price of their games, instead keeping them full price for as long as possible and simply discontinuing them if they don't sell them all (*cough*excitetruck*cough*). This generation doesn't look much better for them.

Actually, I believe it's the retailers that ultimately lower the price on Nintendo's games if they never become Player's Choice. Pokemon Sapphire/Ruby/Emerald never dropped in price even with it's long shelf life.

I can understand Disgaea with number 3 coming out, but all of a sudden Maximo? Reminds me of the shock I felt when DDRMAX2 went greatest hits, years after it came out.

[quote name='Edge']The following games on the Wii would fulfill those requirements:

Zelda Twilight Princess
Mario Party 8
Super Paper Mario
Warioware Smooth Moves
Pokemon Battle Revolution
Super Mario Strikers Charged
Red Steel
Sonic and the Secret Rings

But yes, Sony has been great about making games Greatest Hits. Microsoft isn't bad, although not as many games seem to become Platinum Hits as there should be. Nintendo of course is the worst...they seem to completely hate the idea of reducing the price of their games, instead keeping them full price for as long as possible and simply discontinuing them if they don't sell them all (*cough*excitetruck*cough*). This generation doesn't look much better for them.[/quote]

To be fair, Nintendo started started the player's choice line for the GBA... about a year after the DS completely took over. :whistle2:| Microsoft has been pretty good about PH (look at Viva Pinata), but I get the feeling all the Halo games would've made GH a lot sooner if it was owned by Sony.

Do Greatest Hits copies of games usually have different UPC's than the non-GH versions? I only ask because Circuit City's last price for Disgaea was $1.99 I believe, and they may be a little slow in repricing it.

[quote name='Josef']Do Greatest Hits copies of games usually have different UPC's than the non-GH versions? I only ask because Circuit City's last price for Disgaea was $1.99 I believe, and they may be a little slow in repricing it.[/QUOTE]

it doesnt matter, once they get shippment it will be the new price

[quote name='forumreader']Disgaea seeing a GH could be to help promote and drive sales of Disgaea 3. Not sure what is up with Odin Sphere, though.[/quote]
Which should be on the PS2 :(

[quote name='62t']it doesnt matter, once they get shippment it will be the new price[/QUOTE]

While I can't speak for Circuit City about this, Best Buy sold the re-release of Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow at the old clearance price of $9.99 for several days before raising it to the correct price of $19.99. I've also seen Target do this for titles they previously had on clearance.

[quote name='Ski Hawk']Which should be on the PS2 :([/quote]

We wouldn't be able to get any DLC for it in that case. Remember that we're getting new DLC for Disgaea 3 every month until 2009, and fans (in Japan) get a say in what that DLC will contain.

EDIT: Also: faster load times, more room for VA, and much bigger/more complex levels (one of them is over 100 blocks high) are possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
perhaps, maybe like with the last years of PSone, the requirements for greatest hits went down to 100K. I remember when that happened, Megaman 8, X4, and Legends all went GH, (after about 2 reprints before it)

i guess i'm probably the zillionth person to say this but, Odin Sphere greatest hits? I mean, i was having trouble finding it in stores and was waiting for the price to come down, and did notice on clearance, but didnt figure this was why.

did it really sell enough to become greatest hits? anyway, i dont know how i feel about that because i was waiting for the price to come down to buy it, but i didnt think this was how it was going to happen. I dont like buying GH, i manage to have good enough hindsight to avoid it (like , i didnt mind for VF4 evolution because that was the only way you could get it).

as for disgaea, so many years, a low print run and a reprinting and a PSP port later they finally make it GH? Arent they a little late to the game? I mean, who DOESNT own it that would want it yet? I mean, i guess i'm pleased that i own the regular version, but between the cheap PS2 version and the remastered PSP version i feel a little sheistered, sheesh, they waited long enough....

bread's done
Back