[UPDATE] Super Mario All-Stars: Limited Edition (Wii) Reprint - $29.99 [3/13/11]

iNCREDiPiNOY

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
Super Mario All-Stars: Limited Edition (Wii) Reprint

• 4 Classic Mario Games
  • Super Mario History soundtrack CD
  • Super Mario History booklet featuring original art and interviews

Retailers

Amazon - Available in stock
Best Buy - Available in stock
Gamestop (gamestop.com/wii/games/super-mario-all-stars-limited-edition/87690) - Available in stock
Toys R' Us - Available in stock

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Antipodes']And yet, that's the whole point: rewarding what is really just a lazy port.[/QUOTE]

And my point is: all the bluster on forums and all the whining by "journalists" about how bad of a package this is doesn't matter. As always, money talks. And money has deemed this to be something people want. All the critics and the haters can go nuts but at the end of the day, something is only worth what people are willing to pay. And people are willing to pay at least the MSRP.

So Nintendo makes money and can print more money with a re-release. People who want this game pay for it and play it. Meanwhile haters gnash their teeth and rage futilely on the web about how this package is SO NOT WORTH IT. So really, who wins?

[quote name='confoosious']It's to foster good will amongst collectors and early adopters. Not flippers.

The book publishers don't make extra money off first prints either but they still designate it as such.

Or take the case of Bioware. They could reprint another 1000 copies of some of their lithographs and sell out every one. But if they did, they'd be screwing their fans and lowering the perceived value of future lithographs.[/QUOTE]
But Nintendo is Nintendo, not Bioware, or any other software publisher for that matter. They don't need to foster good will among collectors, and have almost no history of doing so. Their first party stuff, especially Mario games, will almost always sell well, so it doesn't matter what they do in this regard, because it will sell regardless of how it is packaged. Which is why I said that if Nintendo thinks it can make more money by simply reprinting the exact same thing they will do it.

Oh I realize they don't have to do it. (They could slap a mario sticker on old ds lite inventory and it'd sell.) I was just answering why they would.

----

just a matter of time before this pops up on Amazon...

As someone who thought this was a disappointing collection, I'm not happy at the reprint. I only bought it at $30 believing Nintendo that it would be truly limited and hard to get later. If I had any idea there would be a reprint, I would have waited until the price dropped. Yet another slap in the face for this sorry collection.

You should have had some idea this would get reprinted. What game that has sold out within the first week has ever not been reprinted? I bet it is not many.

Why are people bitching. Having these games together with improved graphics and the nifty little collector's jazz for freakin' 30$ is an awesome price. Two of these games were released at 30$ each on the GBA, and one for $19.99. This has those, plus 1, plus the collector's jazz, for just $30. If it was $50 sure, bitch, but at $30 it was a great move.

Plus, as it's been said, they didn't technically say it was a first run only, just that it was limited. If this is the last print, it will still be very limited. It would really be stupid not to bring out more of a product that obviously has such a large demand. I think a junior-high business class could teach that.

[quote name='Antipodes']And yet, that's the whole point: rewarding what is really just a lazy port.

I have a copy from pre-ordering the initial run, but wouldn't mind it dropping to $10 to spite all the overly materialistic crybabies whining about their precious "limited" copy.[/QUOTE]

Translation: We shouldn't reward a lazy port, but I bought one anyways.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Translation: We shouldn't reward a lazy port, but I bought one anyways.[/QUOTE]

No doubt I'm part of the problem, but at least I bought the games to play (which is the only good thing about the set), and not for its collector's value (which is the lazy part).

So I'm not the least bit upset if they re-release and devalue the game.

[quote name='confoosious']I immediately had the same thought when I first saw this thread.

I have one opened for playing and one sealed copy for my collection. But unless there are some definitive statements about what is in the reprint, I'm not gonna sell my collectors copy. And even if it's exactly the same, it's probably not worth the hassle -- i think new copies are only going for $65 or so now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm debating also whether the reprint is the same. If the reprint is the same, I can recoup my total costs and just rebuy the reprint to add back into my collection. But for $65, I agree might as well just hold onto it in the event the first print is truly unique.

Pretty glad I got this for $16 now.
Maybe I should've flipped it... but I actually wanted the extras. I'm a sucker for collector's editions.

Why is everyone complaining so much about a $29.99 game with 4 of the best mario games ever in 480p that will last a century on a disc, a mario soundtrack, and a history of mario book? Not to mention the super cool box and I can vouch for how awesome it looks because I have a sealed copy put up with a couple of sealed red wii's. Now you see soon as I saw this post I jumped on gamestops site and preordered a couple more ( wish I had done this to begin with when I got it on day 1 from amazon because I had a feeling this would be a popular set and turned out I was right ) and now I see I made a smart move because seems they are already gone and I got my order confirmation so I must be good. You have to remember people seeing that this sold for $70-80 on ebay has really made this "limited" game even more desirable at a $29.99 price point. I see now since they have taken it down that all these ebayers have probably purchased as many copies allowed on gamestop to resell once again because nintendo won't make but so many reprints and didn't make nearly enough to start with. If Nintendo had really wanted to make it limited they should have priced it at $49.99 but they done the fair thing pricing it at $29.99 and we should get down on our knees and thank them for giving us all a 2nd chance at it.

[quote name='lordopus99']Scoop them all up... it's gonna be rare... :rofl:[/QUOTE]

I love how all the "it's not rare!" folks from the previous thread were nowhere to be found when resellers were selling them on ebay for $80. But now that there's a reprint, they are coming out of the woodwork. Now that is :rofl:

[quote name='ps2emotions']Why is everyone complaining so much about a $29.99 game with 4 of the best mario games ever in 480p that will last a century on a disc, a mario soundtrack, and a history of mario book?

If Nintendo had really wanted to make it limited they should have priced it at $49.99 but they done the fair thing pricing it at $29.99 and we should get down on our knees and thank them for giving us all a 2nd chance at it.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't going to post something, then I saw your wall of text with these two pertinent bits...

Because it is a sloppy, rushed, incomplete port (missing Super Mario World) of some Virtual Console games on a disc, with a half-assed OST, but a nice book and package.

Secondly (your next point) how did anyone in their right mind NOT think Nintendo wasn't going to reprint this, if you do you're off a few. It was a license to print money for them, so to "thank them" for this second chance :roll:, I mean come on, if anyone was stupid enough to buy one from the scalpers I don't feel sorry for them one bit. Personally I don't think this collection is worth it for what it is, I don't begrudge those who wanted it, but even back when it was announced I thought neat, but I knew it was a cash-in for them. (Hell, they gave away almost all of the Zelda games for FREE, technically, back when Wind Waker came out)

So yeah, I'm a little perturbed over the idea that Nintendo should be praised over this "generosity" if they wanted to be generous, they'd release Xenoblade and Last Story and support their half-dead system that they seem to not believe in anymore (my opinion only, but Zelda is the only big name title this year, ya know) so they can take the easy money they're making from the original print and the reprint and fund the translations, now that would persuade me buy a copy. But no, they don't deserve any respect for doing this, regardless of what you might believe.

Sorry for the soapbox and the I told ya so attitude, but this made me a big aggravated. And please note, this wasn't a personal attack against you, just more me venting over the prevailing attitude and how Nintendo has been treating the fans as of late.

[quote name='confoosious']I love how all the "it's not rare!" folks from the previous thread were nowhere to be found when resellers were selling them on ebay for $80. But now that there's a reprint, they are coming out of the woodwork. Now that is :rofl:[/QUOTE]

I firmly stand by my contention that this has never been rare. The fact that people in this very thread are still talking about the fact that they have extra copies from the first run sitting around presumably in some naive hope that the resale value would continue to increase is strong evidence that lots of copies were sold and lots are still on-hand just in closets and boxes instead of retail stores. The fact that prices have already dropped from $80 down to $60 or less (there are lots of Amazon marketplace sellers with this listed for $55) before anyone really knows about the second run is a sign that the demand has really dropped in recent weeks. I can't recall the exact NPD figures, but didn't this do over 800K units in the US alone? That's not rare. A rare game is something that shows up on Ebay a few times a year, not every day in hundreds of auctions.

[quote name='uncle5555']I wasn't going to post something, then I saw your wall of text with these two pertinent bits...

Because it is a sloppy, rushed, incomplete port (missing Super Mario World) of some Virtual Console games on a disc, with a half-assed OST, but a nice book and package.

Secondly (your next point) how did anyone in their right mind NOT think Nintendo wasn't going to reprint this, if you do you're off a few. It was a license to print money for them, so to "thank them" for this second chance :roll:, I mean come on, if anyone was stupid enough to buy one from the scalpers I don't feel sorry for them one bit. Personally I don't think this collection is worth it for what it is, I don't begrudge those who wanted it, but even back when it was announced I thought neat, but I knew it was a cash-in for them. (Hell, they gave away almost all of the Zelda games for FREE, technically, back when Wind Waker came out)

So yeah, I'm a little perturbed over the idea that Nintendo should be praised over this "generosity" if they wanted to be generous, they'd release Xenoblade and Last Story and support their half-dead system that they seem to not believe in anymore (my opinion only, but Zelda is the only big name title this year, ya know) so they can take the easy money they're making from the original print and the reprint and fund the translations, now that would persuade me buy a copy. But no, they don't deserve any respect for doing this, regardless of what you might believe.

Sorry for the soapbox and the I told ya so attitude, but this made me a big aggravated. And please note, this wasn't a personal attack against you, just more me venting over the prevailing attitude and how Nintendo has been treating the fans as of late.[/QUOTE]

I understand your point. I too think and wished nintendo had put a bit more effort into a really awesome mario compilation with games not available on the virtual console. To me a true collection would consist of mario world, yoshi's island, dr mario, mario 64, mario sunshine, paper mario, etc... along with the 4 on this set. They could price it at $69.99 with some neat things like a 25th anniversary mario figure and people would snatch them up like crazy. I mean look at how much people were willing to pay for this less than half done set. I still stand by the fact that nintendo actually was not greedy this time due to it being at a low pricepoint and coming with some neat extras. If they were being greedy they would have made it $49.99 and it would have sold just as well imho so in that sense I do appreciate them making it cheaper and I hope they do make tons of copies so everyone can get a taste of some of the best mario games ever.

And the copy I got for about $7 at Kmart (after coupons and SYWR points) just became solidified in my collection for good.

I can honestly say, with 100% confidence, I am not surprised at all by Nintendo reprinting this. I am a little bit surprised that they are reprinting it with all the extras, instead of just printing the games for like $20.

[quote name='uncle5555']I wasn't going to post something, then I saw your wall of text with these two pertinent bits...

Because it is a sloppy, rushed, incomplete port (missing Super Mario World) of some Virtual Console games on a disc, with a half-assed OST, but a nice book and package.[/QUOTE]

You're an idiot. This is a direct port of the SNES game. Therefore, it is not incomplete. As I have yet to play it, I can't say if it's sloppy or rushed but I'm not sure how they could fuck up an SNES game.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']You're an idiot. This is a direct port of the SNES game. Therefore, it is not incomplete. As I have yet to play it, I can't say if it's sloppy or rushed but I'm not sure how they could fuck up an SNES game.[/QUOTE]

There was another version that included SMW. So the Wii release is not technically incomplete, but given that it's an anniversary edition and they're just throwing an SNES ROM on a disc anyway they could have had the benevolence to include the superior version.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']Super Mario All-Stars: Limited Edition (Wii) Reprint

• 4 Classic Mario Games
  • Super Mario History soundtrack CD
  • Super Mario History booklet featuring original art and interviews

Retailers

Gamestop (gamestop.com/wii/games/super-mario-all-stars-limited-edition/87690) - Unavailable
Toys R' Us - Available for Pre-order - Limit 1 Per Customer[/QUOTE]

Haha at that troll mario face.

Meh I still have a sealed one I got from toys r us for $20 , and then I got a complete one from a trade that I sold for $60.

I might pick up one more.

And I also laughed at the people coming out of no where saying "it's not rare, you won't get any money" again, when they vanished when it was rare and profitable, they still mad

[quote name='kodave']How much of that $50 did Amazon take?[/QUOTE]

I still made a profit, if you're worried about me. ;)

[quote name='theking20']Haha at that troll mario face.

Meh I still have a sealed one I got from toys r us for $20 , and then I got a complete one from a trade that I sold for $60.

I might pick up one more.

And I also laughed at the people coming out of no where saying "it's not rare, you won't get any money" again, when they vanished when it was rare and profitable, they still mad[/QUOTE]

:applause:

[quote name='GDKN-403']There was another version that included SMW. So the Wii release is not technically incomplete, but given that it's an anniversary edition and they're just throwing an SNES ROM on a disc anyway they could have had the benevolence to include the superior version.[/QUOTE]
Thing is, they're basically keeping it strictly as the first version simply because Japan never got the second version. That was something exclusive to the western side. While they *could* have added SMW, think the main idea was focusing on just the NES-side of the Mario games and sticking to one version all sides are familiar with.

Hell, the only reason we even got it was because it was packed in with the SNES later on in its life. This was basically giving you two games in one cart, primarily to save space in the SNES' packaging. It was to ensure you still got a copy of SMW with your SNES.

Kinda bugs me when there are people who throw a fit over the lack of SMW when the original didn't have it packed inside.

[quote name='Tsukento']Thing is, they're basically keeping it strictly as the first version simply because Japan never got the second version. That was something exclusive to the western side. While they *could* have added SMW, think the main idea was focusing on just the NES-side of the Mario games and sticking to one version all sides are familiar with.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention this is really only the 25th anniversary of the "Super Mario Bros." franchise on the NES system (which was first released in September of 1985), not Mario himself.

Mario's first game was actually released in 1983 - "Mario Bros." - as a both and arcade and Atari 2600 game. Likewise, "Super Mario World" is really a different series altogether.

[quote name='Tsukento']Kinda bugs me when there are people who throw a fit over the lack of SMW when the original didn't have it packed inside.[/QUOTE]

The original didn't come with a half-baked soundtrack or booklet, either, but Nintendo managed to include that.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']800k+ copies in print does not make it rare.[/QUOTE]

God, I love facts. Thank you for that!

What Confoosious continually has failed to understand from my initial post, is that I was speaking purely from a fan's point of view. Money has nothing to do with what I was speaking about, especially in my assessment of the compilation. No amount of throwing sales #'s at me and ebay prices can change the fact that it is a lazily thrown together compilation on the part of Nintendo. Yes, it sold out initially, but of course it did! Nintendo can fart a port out in 2 nano-seconds and there will always be ppl there ready to lap it up like they always have b/c they have no regard for the game or its content or its history. Just that it's another Mario release, and "Oooohhh, it's got a shiny new box and an artbook!" ... or "Ooooohh, I can sell this on ebay for $38420568493570 dollars!!"

But the sad fact about this whole thing is that this is supposed to be the 25th Anniversary release of an iconic videogame which has truly shaped several generations of untold amounts of people. My point was that we should not be purchasing this and we should not be rewarding Nintendo for something that should be all-encompassing, but falls short in every single regard.

But the other thing I don't understand is when ppl take another person's opinion so personally and flip it around, as if it's a personal attack upon them... I wasn't bashing you, I was bashing this sub-standard product. That's all. And here's another thing -- If you took half of that same energy you just spent throwing barbs at other ppl who disagree with you, and put it towards an argument directed at Nintendo for all of the reasons above, and if enough ppl did the same, it might actually give Nintendo pause for thoughtful reflection the next time they start devising content for another "anniversary" compilation.

But I'm not mad at Nintendo. They didn't force me to buy this package. Why are you?

If you took half of that same energy you just spent throwing barbs at Nintendo for putting out an "inferior" product, and looked for games to play, you might not be so angry at Nintendo just because you don't like this package.

I keep hearing things like garbage and substandard SNES port, and incomplete. Well even if everyone bought 2 copies each, 400k people voting with their wallets to the tune of $30+ each means this package is pretty good. (Here's where the classic excuse comes into play: well, people are stupid. :roll: )

Are you so naive as to think your little opinion actually will change this next time? When the Zelda package comes around, do you think they'll say "hmmm the SMAS package sold too well. We better make Zelda even better so the copies will fly off the shelves at double speed!"

Here's what I don't understand. And I'm begging you to answer this: Did you buy it? If so, then what the fuck are you talking about? And if not, why are you in a reprint notification thread? To save all the poor souls from paying $30?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='confoosious']But I'm not mad at Nintendo. They didn't force me to buy this package. Why are you?

If you took half of that same energy you just spent throwing barbs at Nintendo for putting out an "inferior" product, and looked for games to play, you might not be so angry at Nintendo just because you don't like this package.[/QUOTE]

Wow. It seems you still can't grasp what it is I'm saying, so I'll just rest my case there.

[quote name='confoosious']Are you so naive as to think your little opinion actually will change this next time? When the Zelda package comes around, do you think they'll say "hmmm the SMAS package sold too well. We better make Zelda even better or the units will only fly off the shelves at half speed!"[/QUOTE]

No, but that sums up my point so well! haha. So thank you for that. :)

[quote name='confoosious']Here's what I don't understand. And I'm begging you to answer this: Did you buy it? If so, then what the fuck are you talking about? And if not, why are you in a reprint notification thread? To save all the poor souls from paying $30?[/QUOTE]

No, I did not purchase this. And I'm in here to state my opinion. What others do with their $30 is there own business. If someone reads what it is that I've said, and then stops to think, maybe it'd change their mind about buying a copy, but again, that's their own business.

Let me ask you a question, though -- What are you doing in the reprint notification thread if you've already got a copy?

[quote name='Tsukento']Kinda bugs me when there are people who throw a fit over the lack of SMW when the original didn't have it packed inside.[/QUOTE]
The soundtrack and booklet were also not present in the original All-Stars, but those found their way into the collection. I'd rather have an additional game in a game collection than either of those. Even having the option to buy a bare bones version for $20 would have been much better.

[quote name='MaelstromB']No, but that sums my point so well! haha. So thank you for that. :)[/QUOTE]

:roll: Do you have any clue what you're talking about? Sigh. This is what I get for arguing with people on the internet. I really should know better.

[quote name='confoosious']:roll: Do you have any clue what you're talking about? Sigh. This is what I get for arguing with people on the internet. I really should know better.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I do. You stated that Nintendo won't have to change anything when they do the Zelda Anniversary collection b/c ppl will still rush out to purchase their copy no matter what. So, why would Nintendo want to pour more time or money into a product that they know will sell? Which proves my point. Nintendo won't change anything b/c ppl lap it up without so much as a question or moment of consideration as to what content they are not actually receiving in said package. That's it.

I think it's safe to say that we should just agree to disagree b/c I also don't like arguing in circles with people on the internet.

[quote name='MaelstromB']Yes, I do. You stated that Nintendo won't have to change anything when they do the Zelda Anniversary collection b/c ppl will still rush out to purchase their copy no matter what. So, why would Nintendo want to pour more time or money into a product that they know will sell? Which proves my point. Nintendo won't change anything b/c ppl lap it up without so much as a question or moment of consideration as to what content they are not actually receiving in said package. That's it.

I think it's safe to say that we should just agree to disagree b/c I also don't like arguing in circles with people on the internet.[/QUOTE]

My point is: since you fully agree nintendo won't change a thing, aren't you the one wasting your time?

Again, if you bought SMAS, you're a phony. And if you didn't, you're in a reprint notification thread for what reason exactly? To convince everyone Nintendo screwed them over and to rage in impotent fury?

Geez Confoosious and MaelstromB, why can't you two just admit you love each other ???

I'm surprised Amazon haven't put it up yet, they know something is up cos the trade in value is dropping like a stone.

[quote name='confoosious']My point is: since you fully agree nintendo won't change a thing, aren't you the one wasting your time?

Again, if you bought SMAS, you're a phony. And if you didn't, you're in a reprint notification thread for what reason exactly? To convince everyone Nintendo screwed them over and to rage in impotent fury?[/QUOTE]

Again we go in circles. I'm done. Nevermind.

You're done cause you can't answer my question without looking stupid? Gotcha.

benjamouth - $20 is pretty good. I think I've seen it around $25-$26 recently. They usually keep it at like 1/3 of reseller prices. If this drops to $10, we know noram got the scoop from amazon.

bread's done
Back