Using a PSone screen with ANY A/V device! 56K warning

2745115xr.jpg

You would plug in the system on the single im put end, and then hook up a monitor to each input on the other. This is the quick and easy and garunteed to work kind of way, but you would need three off those plugs to get stereo, just one for video.

First and foremost I would like to thank Wshakspear for this thread. Its awesome and I can only hope my info is half as helpful to someone else as his was to me..

Hit the road jack...

Taking your Ps2 Xbox GameCube or DVD to go.
:D

Ok, a lucky few of us now have PsOne screens. And while its awesome at home, the possibility of taking it on the road is just too tempting not to persue. And doing it is actually much easier, and probably cheaper than youd think.

First you need to determine the amount of power you will need, or the Watts. This is usually found on the device(s) or in the owners manual. Since most of us will be using our screens and a game system, I will list them here. (I also ask anyone who has one of these systems to PM me with that info so I may add it here. Thanks.)

PsOne Screen:
PsOne:
Ps2:
PsTwo:
Xbox: 100W
Gamecube:
Dreamcast:
N64:
Snes:

**Please note** These numbers should only be used as a GUIDE. If you are unable to check your owners manual, I highly suggest you leave yourself plenty of "cushion" when it comes to wattage. (i.e. If the estimates add up to 150w, buy at least a 200w or more inverter)

Also THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO IMPORT SYSTEMS!!! Im sure most of you who own them know how to adjust for power differences but for those who dont, PLEASE do your homework. Using Import systems off DC power is an explaination Im not quite ready to tackle here just yet. Also, Im not sure how many CAGers would really benefit. (If you need some help though, feel free to PM me)

1.21 gigawatts? 1.21 gigawatts! Great Scott!...

Finding all the power you need :idea:

The next step in our project is converting our cars DC power (battery) into the AC power we need. For this, we need something called an Inverter
Odds are youve seen or even have an inverter but didnt know it. They come in many configurations but here are some common ones.

Compact, aka "mini" inverter

Used when power needs are low or compact size is required.
Many companies make these with specific power "ends' on them for their respective device. They then call them "official" and charge you a small fortune. :evil:

sonycar2xp.jpg

Please Note: There are devices that look similar but are NOT inverters. They are more like outlet multipliers (they simply turn one cig lighter into 2 or 3 or whatever) *see here: http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=270-1525 * They will work in a system but that system requires you have car kits for EVERY item you wish to use. I much prefer having one inverter, and being able to plug in any two or three pronged home electrical device I wish.

Standard Inverter
brohmsonlinesales183117270908r.jpg

The standard inverter is a workhorse. Its bigger but can usually handle more devices and more power hungry devices. It tends to be cheaper per watt than a mini as well.

So SDC, which one should I buy?

The choice,my friend,is up to you. If space is an issue and your power needs are low enough, feel free to buy the mini. I, however, much prefer the standard for a few reasons:

#1 More power which allows me more devices and a wider range of devices
#2 Cheaper for the same wattage
#3 Replaceable fuses mean if a surge happens I only need to replace a fuse, not the whole unit
#4 Dont it look so much more badass? :wink:

Ok SDC, Ive decided what type I want now how do I decide which wattage to buy.

Ok, take our earlier power calculation of all the stuff you want to hook up. Add to that 25w (I add 50w but Im paranoid by nature) That number is roughly what you ll need wattage wise.

Dont rush off to buy one yet. Lets be smart about this. While thats all we *need* maybe there are other applications we can use an inverter for or we can give ourselves a cushion for future uses/devices. There is,however, one important thing to consider when making our decision:
Car manufacturers limit the output of their cig lighters. You need to find out what the AMP rating is of your cig lighter to find out your limit (see owners manual) Here are the 3 most common:

10 AMP - no more than 120W
15 AMP - no more than 180W
20 AMP - no more than 240W

So as you can see, you can have a 400w inverter but youre not going to get more than 120w,180w,or 240w out of it (depending on your cig lighters AMP rating) unless you hardwire it into the battery.

For the majority of us, a 175w or 200w inverter should be more than enough and pretty much all we can handle AMP wise.

Ring of Fire

Keeping everything cool :cool:

One of the most overlooked aspects of our project is heat buildup. At home keeping things cool isnt too hard but on the road it can be a challenge. You are in a much more confined space with a lot of power being used so a lot of heat is displaced. So how do we keep things cool? Simple:

#1 Placement - Make sure you put your machine somewhere that doesnt prevent it from properly ventalating. Yes, while the ladies may LOVE your 85 Trans Am with the plush sheepskin covers, they're murder to your xbox. DONT put your machine on sheets, pillows, clothes, or any place else that will contribute to heat. Also, while in use, I suggest not shoving it under a seat. Not sure it could hurt it but why take the chance?

#2 Ventilate your space - Every so often open a window or kick up the AC (through the floor vents if you can) Just as you need fresh air, so does your machine. Of course, if its raining or otherwise precipitating, dont let the unit get wet.

#3 Turn it off every once in awhile - Not only is it good for your machine, its good for you. Go ahead. Get out, stretch those legs, take a pee, buy some junk food, whatever. Just make sure when you do, you shut the machine down instead of leaving it on pause.

I know these things seem pretty common sense but honestly I think most of us dont really think too much about this kinda stuff at home. On the road its a much bigger issue so I thought it was worth a mention.

I wanna rock!!! :twisted:

Getting everything going

Ok,now that we've placed everything, its just a matter of hooking things up and turning things on. As far as connecting things, do just as WShakspear suggested. And do make sure you have all your AV connections made before you apply ANY power. (a precaution but one thats smart to get in the habit of doing)

Now for the power. This is step by step how I do things. You may do otherwise and it will possibly work but Id advise against it.

#1 - Turn on your car and let it get good and warmed up before plugging anything into the lighter. Your poor car has a hard enough life as is, we dont need to add to its problems by forcing it to overcome not only starting power needs but the load youve added as well. Id even suggest geting on the road before you do anything but thats only a precaution, not really a neccesity.

#2 Hookup everything to the inverter that needs power. Things plug in just like do at home except its not a wall, but an inverter.

#3 Plug inverter into Cig lighter

#4 Turn on your devices and get to gaming.

And that,my friends, is it. You are now able to game in your car with just about any system god has ever put on the face of the earth. Not only that, youve done it in the cheapest, safest way possible and have given yourself the option to use many other devices you have at home in the car. Margaritas anyone? :D

Caveat emptor :!:

I tell you because I love you

While all my directions and advice are solidly based in logic, they are still theory. "Wait a minute...so why the hell did you waste my time SDC?" Relax friend, I didnt.

The reason everything is YMMV is simple, we are doing things the creators of these machines never intended. (except in the case of the PsOne) This is not to say this is impossible or even improbable, Im just saying to take this into consideration. The only way I can say for certain a device will work is if I can try it. Each system is different and has different power needs. Its my belief that none of the US gaming machines we use is fickle enough to need a very constant non-fluxuating power supply. Things like digital clocks and some of the current high end notebooks do (and require special Pure Sine Wave inverters to function properly (pure sine wave = $$$ f.y.i.) As I said, everything I know makes me believe every US gaming console should work fine if you follow my steps. However, everying is a bit YMMV until we test it so keep this in mind.

I also ask that anyone who does successfully or unsuccessfully connect any device using my method PM me. If it worked, great, Ill add it to the list and share that with the community. If not, I will exhaust every possibilty to get it working for you.

Next up, skipping. Since these things werent design to go automobiling, they tend not to have skip protection. No matter, most of them should perform admirably in most situations if placed properly. However, dont expect you can Dreamcast while your car mate is driving in the demolition derby.

Extra outlets/sockets - Ok, if your inverter didnt come with enough you CAN use a multiplug with it.I highly suggest against it though. But if you must, you may, just make sure you use something of high quality. That means buy the midpriced adapters at Home Depot not the clearence bin crap at the dollar store. Starting a fire or just melting plastic and/or power cords really ruins youre day. Got me?

Special circumstances - If your vehicle of choice runs off a 24v battery, you need to make some adjustments. Since most of the time these vehicles fall under the heavy machinery or farm use catagories, I wasnt too worried about one of you running into this. However, if youd like to play Lunar while working the south 40 with the combine, it can be done. Pm me and Ill help you with it.

Lastly, have fun. Thats what it's all about. If you run into a problem, PM me. If youre just psyched it all worked out, PM me too. The whole point of this is to get CAGers gaming on the road. Anything you can contribute big or small is very worthwhile.

Id like to thank the following people for their contributions:

Wshakspear - for starting what has become my favorite CAG thread ever.
Organicow - for hooking me up with a screen without gouging me.
Trakan,MorPhiend - for power info that's help me complete my systems chart

And every CAGer that bothered to read these posts of mine.

Thanks again all. It's been fun. :)

M

Now we need to work on modifying the screens to fit on the systems. Im gonna check out some of the cheap/crappy Gamecube screens, and seeing if i can fit the PS1 screen innards in thier.

Then i'll start on shortening the wires...

[quote name='Wshakspear']Now we need to work on modifying the screens to fit on the systems. Im gonna check out some of the cheap/crappy Gamecube screens, and seeing if i can fit the PS1 screen innards in thier.

Then i'll start on shortening the wires...[/quote]

You say it like Im not already working on it. :wink:

On that subject though, Im not so sure thats the best thing. Sure, seemless intergration is cool as hell LOOKING, but in the case of this systems, not totally fuctional (not to me anyway) I prefer having my unit on the floor and dealing only with the screen. Once I figure out a good hanging solution for it ( Im not convinced the LCD doesnt get too hot to be used IN a headrest) Ill be pretty set. I am toying with the idea of going wireless on the controller tho. Anybody know if those things draw their power from the unit itself? And if so... Ill need to figure out how to add that into the wattage equation. Hmm...

[quote name='jlarlee']posting so I can find this later[/quote]

Next time just go to the bottom of the page and click the link that says "Watch this topic for replies." Nobody likes a post-whore!!! j/k :wink:

*waits for zion to reply...*

[quote name='Lizard Axe']Question. Does the Y adapter have to be gold plated? I have a silver one. I'd test it myself, but my PSone screen hasn't arrived yet.[/quote]
doesnt matter. Gold apparently is a better connection, but the silver wont make that much of a difference, and will still work fine.

[quote name='Lizard Axe']Question. Does the Y adapter have to be gold plated? I have a silver one. I'd test it myself, but my PSone screen hasn't arrived yet.[/quote]

Your sig is creepy...

OP, thanks a heckuva lot for your pictures and instructions. They made everything extremely easy. I even ordered from the EBAY link, and that person is definitely a standup guy who has great products. I'm looking forward to playing my PS2 on the sweet $30 LCD screen!

I am having a problem with my LCD screen. I have the camcorder cable with the 3 rca jacks and a coupler, yet when I plug in the screen to another source all I get is static with little to no picture and a little bit of the sound from the other source. Is there something wrong with my cable or a/v jack? The screen works great otherwise on my psone....

Make sure everything is connected snugly. I was having that problem at first but I just connected everything tight and it worked.

Well I was thinking that maybe the cable I have is only one way and only transfers video/audio from the stereo jack end to the rca jacks and not the other way around? Everything is tight... not sure what the problem is...

[quote name='DreamSymphony']Got it working, it was the cable I was using.... DOA from a seller on ebay :whistle2:([/quote]

it wasn't razern was it?

[quote name='DreamSymphony']No, it was valley-ent. But he was very helpful and just offered to give me a replacement.[/quote]

that's awesome. considering the type of people that are on ebay, you got lucky.

*edit* just realized this is my 400th post! yippee! *edit*

Great thread. Just recieved my ps1 moniter from the EB sale. Not sure what I want to use it for yet. I like the PC mod but my pc is kind of hidden so it would be useless to put it in the case. I'll probably have it as a secondary screen and just leave it seperate.

Anyone doing the PC mod? I am wondering how exactly the 2 screens would work. I have seen pics of it but don't really understand how it works. I was thinking of having it as a web browser if I am playing games or simply a winamp display. Will I be able to use my mouse move from one screen to the PS1 LCD screen and change the song or switch websites?

I said I would do a simple mod and put the LCD screen on a picture frame, but I guess I didn't get around to do that. In fact the bump reminded me I that I actually got an LCD lying around...

[quote name='Wshakspear']Thanks :) It killed photobuckets bandwith limit...but ill fix that soon.

And xbox master.. Mono is one speaker, stereo is two speakers. Stero will have things going from left to right, while mono will just be there. Its like GBA (mono speaker) vs DS (stero speakers).

If that was the DUH answer, the other answer is "Quality". I prefer stero sound on everything, and this fits the bill. The parts will be found cheapest at Radioshack. The $15 piece i have listed nomally goes for $25-40 with any other brand/store[/QUOTE]
didn't read the rest..

if i'm hooking this up to my xbox.. it better have surround.. heh.

Damn man. The interact screen my friend used to have let you do taht right off the bat. I think the one I have upstairs lets you do it too.

...Yes it does.

[quote name='THe VGM']Damn man. The interact screen my friend used to have let you do taht right off the bat. I think the one I have upstairs lets you do it too.

...Yes it does.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but there's a BIG difference in quality.

On a side note, i finnaly bought the perfect screen stand: a PSone :) Not just a stand, but a CD player!

[quote name='Genocidal']Bump so I can track this thread -- the subscribe button doesn't seem to be working for me :cry:[/QUOTE]
Didn't work for me either. So here's my tag.

Finally picked up the cables I needed to make this work. Played some God of War and it looked a lot better than I thought it would. Watching The Fast and the Furious on it now, and it also looks pretty damn good. Thanks shakspear/Nigel.

[quote name='ch3zyp00fs']This totally rocks! Thanks man. First thing I tried to hook it up to was my snes. Haha. Now.. where do I get a stand?[/QUOTE]
99 cent store

FREAKING SWEET! Now my mom will pay for 100 bucks for a new PS2 for me!!! YES!! I love this! Thanks

How much can you buy LCD screens for, cause I missed the deal and I live in Canada T_T

[quote name='Spades22']FREAKING SWEET! Now my mom will pay for 100 bucks for a new PS2 for me!!! YES!! I love this! Thanks

How much can you buy LCD screens for, cause I missed the deal and I live in Canada T_T[/quote]

Multiple stores have had them on clearance at different times, so i wouldnt doubt that the same thing happends up there. Just keep a good eye out, or watch some of the EB deals since they have cheap ones used every once in a while

this thread has been dead for some time, but......

im using a monster tv link cable
810011b.jpg

into an rca video coupler and then a separate rca audio coupler (they didn't have the 3 rca coupler but it should work the same)

im trying to hook up literally ANY device to it and i cant get a picture. ive tried xbox, ps2, a camcorder, and a 360. nothing shows a picture. i dont even get sound. however, the headphone jack works great and the screen itself works great on the psone. what am i doing wrong? any idea why i cant get a picture to show up? ive read through this entire thread to find an answer and it seems nobody had a problem.

i searched on google and it came up. what's wrong with bringing back an old thread? stop fighting over your forum and supply some answers!

Only thing I can possibly think of is that the...well..
hmmm...
OK. Maybe the yellow jack isnt working for video, but the white or the red is. Try just testing for video exclusively first. That's all I can think of as far as an answer other than "try a different connector"

i have all the plugs that work with a ps1 lcd screen, i actually got 2 pairs of the plugs and only one of the screens now, still in the original box sealed, pretty useless, oh well

bread's done
Back