Valkyria Chronicles - Gen. Discussion & Info

The thread at GAF is over 500 replies and not a single negative comment.
I've never seen that before.

Hope the game does well.

Played the demo and loved it. Just wish they showed a little more, but at least I got to see the gameplay which is probably the most important thing for a demo to show.

[quote name='dallow']The thread at GAF is over 500 replies and not a single negative comment.
I've never seen that before.[/quote]

...Is that even possible?

[quote name='dallow']The thread at GAF is over 500 replies and not a single negative comment.
I've never seen that before.[/QUOTE]

Sega and Sony were wise to release the demo and begin the viral spread of positive feedback. So once the demo is released for free, it should be quite popular and hopefully increase interest of this game even more.

It definitely heartens me to see such news since I've been following this game since last year, and even before I had a PS3.

Played through the tutorial and the one mission in the demo and I really enjoyed it. I'm surprised that they were able to keep that manga sketch art style in the actual game, which makes it one of the best-looking cel-shaded games I've seen since Wind Waker.

I like the ability to aim your weapon and move freely, though I find it a little strange that enemies can keep shooting at your indefinitely if you don't end your moves right away, but I guess that's the reason you should end your turn right after taking your one shot.

I wish the demo was free like it should be, because it seems like it's a good demo, but because I hate the premise of Qore, I can't play it.

[quote name='KingBroly']I wish the demo was free like it should be, because it seems like it's a good demo, but because I hate the premise of Qore, I can't play it.[/quote]
Are you the last person here without an EU/UK account?

Finally played this today.

Wow, I'm stunned by the music, the game is pretty nice too.
Faster paced than I expected for an SRPG.

The dub isn't so bad either but I'm glad the full game will have the Japanese track as well.

damn... played the demo. biggest surprise the entire year for me.

it really felt like a good evolution of what JRPGs can and should be this gen. This is the first time in years I've got the same feeling I got when I played FFT way back in the golden PS1 JRPG era... never liked PS2 era JRPGs >_<

this jumped to the near tops of my wants this year, and my wants are a small list.

Well, I played the game with a friend over. Because I wanted the first shot at it, but also wanted him to play, I decided to be an idiot and charge their base with Captain Tankman.

What I didn't realize is that Captain Tankman is basically invincible. The most damage I ever sustained was 1/10 of my life, and that was by another tank. Because I realized early on the aiming was shit, I discovered the best strategy was to end my turn and wait for the enemy to move, in which I would counterattack them and kill them without having to waste my time aiming.

Speaking of the aiming, it seems a little bit off to me that the only way to damage an opponent with your tank is to hit them directly. Apparently if a blast hits less than a centimeter to their left, they sustain no damage. And if you do damage them with a direct hit from a tank (which they obviously survive, cuz I mean...they have metal helmets), and cause them to go flying into the river, they'll magically reappear on the bank again.

Oh, yeah. Forgot to mention that Captain Tankman absolutely swept. When I got to the end, I found it a bit stupid that I had to send an infantryman to capture the flag. Couldn't Captain Tankman leave his tank? I mean, there's nobody around, and it takes like a second to capture it. But noooo, I had to wait like 3 turns for the infantryman to come and clear the map.

When my friend played, he decided to play it the "smart" way and spread his characters out. What happened was him choosing an infantryman and landing a headshot on one of the characters, the damage was minimal and my friend was quite put off. After attempting a kill with a sniper and dealing even less damage than the last person did, I suggested that he pick the really big looking guy. So he picked the big guy, who apparently is an anti-tank unit, and absolutely raped the infantryman facing him. At this point, he threw up his hands in exasperation, said "fuck this shit," and decided to play the Supersonic Robo Battle Master Monster Car Spectacular Amazing Game with me. I will not go into how that turned out, but that game ended up making more sense than this one.

Maybe I'll play it later today, but this time without skipping through all the text to get to the battles. Perhaps there is a good RPG hidden in there somewhere...

I think you played it incorrectly.

The tank wasn't invincible for me, I had to actually repair it as it was close to death after a hit from the other tank, and two lancers(?) guys.

Headshots usually took out soldiers for me too.
It's a much higher chance of critical hit, so doesn't always happen.
This is still at heart, a strategy game.

[quote name='dallow']Are you the last person here without an EU/UK account?[/quote]
I believe I am, I've just never gotten around to it :p

[quote name='dallow']I think you played it incorrectly.

The tank wasn't invincible for me, I had to actually repair it as it was close to death after a hit from the other tank, and two lancers(?) guys.

Headshots usually took out soldiers for me too.
It's a much higher chance of critical hit, so doesn't always happen.
This is still at heart, a strategy game.[/quote]

I played it incorrectly? Well, yeah, I mean I went into it without understanding the mechanics. But as far as I understand, beating a level with one character isn't "doing it wrong."

What you have to do is destroy the tank first, with lancers and your own tank. Once you destroy the tank, take out everyone else (especially lancers, because they can do pretty big damage).

I played this yesterday and was pleasantly surprised! Didn't really hear much if at all about the game before the demo but I thought it was really good. I enjoyed the music and the dubbing wasn't bad. I thought the real time Action mode mixed with the turn-based worked great. Might have to pick this up when it comes out!

[quote name='DarkSageRK']I played it incorrectly? Well, yeah, I mean I went into it without understanding the mechanics. But as far as I understand, beating a level with one character isn't "doing it wrong."[/quote]
I still don't know how your tank was so much stronger than mine, which was relatively weak.
If the tank worked for you though, more power to you.

You can beat the level by just sprinting toward the end with a scout and taking the camp over right away.

You get more experience, and better ranking for being faster, not really killing everyone.

My tank gets damaged a fairly good chunk when gettin hit by tanks and lancers. And headshots don't necessarily guarantee an instant kill or even a hit. Since he skipped all the text, a shot can go anywhere within the aiming circle on screen. The reticle is just a "point in the general direction and hope for the best". Also, when the enemy is crouching, they're immune to headshots, which I don't really get, but whatever. This is a strategy game not a shooter. Think of it like rolling the dice of a board game. Sometimes you get good hits, sometimes you don't.

This game was a maybe for me before, but now it's a definite get for me. I find it to be really fun and have played the demo a number of times already, and I don't really even like strategy games that much.

Holy crap, I'm with Shini, I NEED a UK/EU account so I can get my hands on the demo. Anyone mind pointing me to an FAQ or something on how I can get one? Thanks.

imascrub.

Exactly man. When the tanks did no splash damage for hitting the ground next to the unit, it hit me that it isn't a shooter, it's a true strategy game, and I'm glad for that.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Holy crap, I'm with Shini, I NEED a UK/EU account so I can get my hands on the demo. Anyone mind pointing me to an FAQ or something on how I can get one? Thanks.[/quote]
You don't need a FAQ, it's all in english.

Just create a new user on your PS3, name it UK, or whatever, and set up a new PSN account.
But for the region select United Kingdom.

So I just pre-ordered Valkyria Chronicles on eBay ($38 w/ free shipping with the 30% Coupon) and noticed the listing say that the game would be shipped soon after Nov. 4th.

I could have sworn the launch was one week later, on Nov. 11th, so I decided to check Gamestop and they also list the game being released on November 4th.

I know the European launch was pushed up one week, but wasn't aware the same had happened in the States. This launch, along with Resistance 2 on the same date, will make for a very fun weekend. :)

[quote name='Ecofreak']So I just pre-ordered Valkyria Chronicles on eBay ($38 w/ free shipping with the 30% Coupon) and noticed the listing say that the game would be shipped soon after Nov. 4th.

I could have sworn the launch was one week later, on Nov. 11th, so I decided to check Gamestop and they also list the game being released on November 4th.

I know the European launch was pushed up one week, but wasn't aware the same had happened in the States. This launch, along with Resistance 2 on the same date, will make for a very fun weekend. :)[/quote]

Not just one weekend dude ;)

I really like the art style and I like the mechanics behind. The only bad thing is getting counterattacked incessantly before I end my turn. I'm a guy that wants to makes sure everything is cool before I end a character's turn and now I have to rush to the end so I only take a couple hits. This game definately rewards defense over offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate that too, but that's all part of the strategy aspect of the game. Got to think before you make your move...which is not really my forte, but I'm learning lol. You can't do anything other than move or take cover after you take a shot anyway, so that cuts down on the list of things to do before ending your turn.

Good Grief. RPG Land gave the game 10/10 -- they also gave FFVII and Zelda a perfect score as well.

[quote name='RPG Land']Valkyria Chronicles is an amazing experience. It’s rare, these days, that a game can make such a huge departure from its genre’s roots and yet keep the best things about it. It revolutionizes strategy RPGs in such a way that it can be appealing to fans of the subgenre, newcomers, and perhaps even sworn-off non-fans of it. The best thing that could happen now would be a sequel.[/quote]

The closer the release date approaches the more excited I get for VC. I just DLed the theme for my PS3 and it looks wonderful.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I wish you could move a group of units all at once, that isn't possible is it?[/quote]

it's turn based... plus it would change the dynamics of the game a way too much. the way it is setup is better because if you wanted you could storm your entire turn by controlling only one character.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']it's turn based... plus it would change the dynamics of the game a way too much. the way it is setup is better because if you wanted you could storm your entire turn by controlling only one character.[/quote]

Well I mean if it was weighted right, like you still burn the same amount of units by moving a group as you would by moving one by one. I just hate moving up across the map and having to go click one at a time, run across the field and having them stand there, then go back for others.

I do get what you mean, because of the counter attack that happens it might unbalance things.

Maybe there could have been a "charge" feature that allows you to quickly move a group as long as they end up in a radius outside of enemy fire or something. Half a brain storm after kicking around the demo a little.

I just got my copy of EGM a couple days ago and the ad on the inside cover says it's "Available Now." Is this true? I haven't seen it anywhere.

Wow. I'm tempted. I tend to /hate/ strategy games. Except Disgaea. Perhaps I'll check out the demo.

[quote name='Nobi-Wan']I just got my copy of EGM a couple days ago and the ad on the inside cover says it's "Available Now." Is this true? I haven't seen it anywhere.[/quote]

Not exactly. You received the November issue of EGM. The game will be released on November 4th. Considering that the publisher full knows that these magazines are received mid-way through the prior month, it'd be good of them to note these to publishers that take out ads. Granted, they may have and Sega just told them to go with it anyway...

Have they made an official announcement about trophies yet? I heard a while back that Sega was working on implementing them.

[quote name='PVJAG']Have they made an official announcement about trophies yet? I heard a while back that Sega was working on implementing them.[/QUOTE]Not yet, but since the developers heard feedback, they are looking into it. Bad thing is it may not be a while, since the game came out in Japan before trophies even existed in development kits.

[quote name='Boeing 747']Does this have online at all? I've been hyped for his for a bit now and loved the demo. Sega finally makes a good game?![/QUOTE]It's a single player only JRPG.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Maybe there could have been a "charge" feature that allows you to quickly move a group as long as they end up in a radius outside of enemy fire or something. Half a brain storm after kicking around the demo a little.[/quote]

I dont mind the one at a time movement, but i also like to use a unit or two to take out sandbags then snipe the open fools. :cool:

as for group movement, a problem is that all the units have different move. So if you had a lancer and a scout, you'd screw over the scout on movement.

[quote name='Binkley']So is it true you get an artbook if you pre-order this game at Gamestop?[/quote]
Yes. It says it right on Gamestop's website and in this very forum thread...

[quote name='SeanNOLA']Yes. It says it right on Gamestop's website and in this very forum thread...[/quote]

Thanks, just wanted confirmation. Gamestop is blocked at work and I didn't want to skim through 10 pages of text.

I apologize for being lazy.

Hi Everyone!

I’m Christopher Kaminski, the US Producer on Valkyria Chronicles, here to update you on a couple of things. First of all, we’ve released a few new trailers recently that showcase some of the main characters: Squad 7, Welkin and Alicia. As we approach launch, we’ll be showing off more of the key units who appear in the game’s imminent release!

Now let’s dig into the meat of this post. I’d like to tell you how the pre-launch event we had at the Sony PlayStation Store in San Francisco last month went!

Eager fans lined up to meet and get an autograph from our most-esteemed Producer from SEGA Studios Japan, Ryutaro Nonaka. Each person walked away with a limited edition autographed box sleeve, a handy item to have when they pick up a copy of Valkyria when it comes out in less than two weeks (November 4th!).

We even had Alicia Melchiott to greet the fans!

This was a great opportunity for everyone that attended the event to get a little sneak preview hands-on with the demo before anyone else. For those of you curious about how Valkyria Chronicles plays, it’s been available on Qore for the past 2 weeks, and hits the wider PSN today.

We raffled off some very cool items such as the official soundtrack from the game, toy figures Nonaka-san brought with him from Japan, signed art pieces from the game and of course the Sony PLAYSTATION 3! Pictured below are some of our lucky winners!

This was Nonaka-san’s first trip to San Francisco. He really didn’t know what to expect from this visit. Afterwards, he told us how genuinely overwhelmed he was by everyone’s enthusiasm for the game. He really was really excited to meet all the Valkyria Chronicles and SEGA fans and appreciates everyone coming out to support the game. Just look at that face in the picture above. He really hopes that everyone will enjoy playing Valkyria Chronicles as much as he enjoyed working on it!

He also took time to answer some of your questions, sent in by readers of PlayStation.Blog:

1. What games or other materials would you say were inspiration for this game?? What inspired you to put Vyse and Aika in Valkyria Chronicles?

The game’s fundamental story wasn’t really influenced by any other games. The reason for the “Skies of Arcadia” characters appearing had to do with staff like Chief Director Tanaka and Chief Artist Kanazawa and other folks who had worked on “Arcadia” as well. Since we had around 50 soldiers to create for the game, we decided to add them. “Valkyria Chronicles” and “Skies of Arcadia” take place in different worlds, but try not to overthink that too much. Besides, for players unfamiliar with “Arcadia,” they won’t even realize that these characters aren’t just other random soldiers.

2. Why did the team choose the watercolor painting art style for this game?

We wanted to show the triumph of the human spirit, even amidst the hardship of war; to do this, we felt it necessary to show not just the reality of the battlefield, but of real, human characters and emotional drama. This led to us creating the CANVAS system, our new graphic engine, to really show a sort of warmth and caring touch by creating imagery that looks like hand-drawn watercolors. To generate this real-time, hand-painted look takes quite a lot of processing power, and I think that we’ve accomplished what we set out to do.

3. Without spoiling anything what can you tell us about the storyline?

There’s an Empire, and there’s the small country of Gallia, which is a member of a confederation of smaller states. The Empire invades this small country, and so the heroes, including Welkin, who’s just this normal guy, along with Alicia and her military comrades, get wrapped up in this war. There are also legends of something known as “Valkyria,” and that’s something that plays a big part in this battle that these people get caught up in. You’ll have to play the game to find out more, though.

4. Is this game friendly to newcomers of the genre?

The user has a lot of freedom in this game (like the ability to select what units to bring into battle and how to set up their squad, how to utilize their squad on the field), and the fundamental gameplay mechanic is rather simple. I think that even beginners should be able to have a fun time with this game, and that they’ll get used to how it all works very quickly.

5. Are there any plans for downloadable content, expansion packs?? Any other unusual additions?

In Japan, on 8/8, our first batch of download content was released. This includes a new side-episode that centers on some of the side-characters, as well as a new extra-hard difficult. At the end of October, we hope to have our second content set released. (This will center on the Imperial Army’s Selveria squad fighting against the Gallian army in another additional episode). Plans for download content for the overseas releases are still to be determined.

All in all, the event went well and we were very happy to see everyone playing and enjoying the game. It was great to meet everyone and thank you for taking the time to come out to support Valkyria Chronicles.

For more information on the game, visit www.valkyrichroniclesgame.com.

Thank you!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/23/valkyria-chronicles-update-demo-qa-more/

Everyone who didn't get to play this fantastic demo finally can. I'm so hyped for this. :D

bread's done
Back