Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines $10 Amazon.com, clawing its way out of the grave

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001NJHH8/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

All things considered, I'd rather have the Steam version if only for the ease of Steam, but for you luddites, find some filler and get your disc copies.

Sorry about the ending on Nov 5th thing, I only c/ped what Steam themselves said.

Original Steam deal post follows

A good deal it would seem for this RPG. I have yet to play it, though.

EDIT: Mini review after spending 8+ hours straight playing it:

TOTALLY WORTH IT.

Also, this game is like Dark Messiah in that it got a lot of bad rap for bugs I just don't see in my playing. I've seen one buggy interaction, one crash (Likely my anti-virus's fault), and one map-stuck glitch. That's pretty much it.

I'm new to Steam and I was wondering how you install the patches listed earlier. The true patch in particular. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

[quote name='n3xus1']I'm new to Steam and I was wondering how you install the patches listed earlier. The true patch in particular. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

--dl the patch
--unzip it to the game's folder-- program files/Steam/steamapps/common/Vampire (or something like that)

[quote name='tcolberg']Bought it last night because of this thread. I've heard so much about this game and it's excellent single player, that I couldn't let it pass me by for $10. One of the things that finally sold me on getting it now rather than later was someone mentioning earlier that Bloodlines was "what DX: IW should have been". Any comparisons to Deus Ex instantly have my attention. Thanks CAG.[/QUOTE]
That was me, and yes, it is really what IW could have and should have been, i just hope the new project Spector has up his sleave delivers on the good name hes built with DE and Theif

Amazon dropped the price of this to $10 too, probably until this Steam deal goes away.

Question-I like all the comparisons people are making to Deus Ex, but how gross is this game? I know nothing about this world, and am a bit worried I'd hate the setting.

Its a Vampire game set in beautiful Los Angeles, its not overly gross just for the sake of being gross (i.e. Hostel) but it does get a bit scary at times. Anyone who has played it will probably agree with me that the Haunted Mansion level is just downright creepy

Yeah, if you can go with the discs for the same price, I'd go that route too. Besides, you should be able to use the CD key and link it to Steam if you want to download it. Best of both worlds!

I love this game. My favorite PC game right after Half-Life 2. Discs, download, whatever, I can't recommend this game enough!

As for the setting, it's fairly "gothic", and some of the settings are...unsettling. The haunted mansion level was particularly creepy, but so is another, sort of abandoned hospital like level (which I believe is optional, I just stumbled into it myself).

Anyway, awesome game. Just make sure you download the 1.2 patch if you're going with the discs (or register the game with Steam and d/l it there, download includes the official patch) and Tessmage's TRUE VTMB PATCH ver. 5.04AT.

I just got to Hollywood in the game, I'm not sure how far I am into the game but I've been playing for hours and loving every second of it. :D

I'm just here to say that this game is amazing and anyone who doesn't play it will miss out on one of the greatest gaming experiences available.

Oh, and PLAY AS A MALKAVIAN. Seriously, best dialog ever.
The conversation with the stop sign alone is worth 10 dollars.

if anyone is looking for a good time with this game, try using a Malkavian. You can talk to TVs, Stop Signs, etc...

for those who have finished it, how long is this game? and do you move out of the downtown hub at some point? seems like a pretty small area.

[quote name='Kuma']if anyone is looking for a good time with this game, try using a Malkavian. You can talk to TVs, Stop Signs, etc...[/QUOTE]

I'm not feeling the Malkavian. I answered the questions and that's what it gave me, but I may re-roll my character.

[quote name='Apossum']for those who have finished it, how long is this game? and do you move out of the downtown hub at some point? seems like a pretty small area.[/quote]

When I beat it years ago it took about 30 hrs to finish (lol?). I thought it dragged at the end, at about the 25 hr mark I wanted it to end. Really great game anyways though.

Yup. Great game. Got a bit of the Deus Ex vibe to it.

I have yet to play through it again as a Malkavian. Heard it's pretty wacky (in a good way).

[quote name='Apossum']for those who have finished it, how long is this game? and do you move out of the downtown hub at some point? seems like a pretty small area.[/QUOTE]
yeah, you get out soon enough

I thought getting to the Nosferatu in the sewers dragged on longer than I would have liked, but I've faced far more tedious levels in other games before. ^_^

Love this game!

[quote name='Alien Spider']I thought getting to the Nosferatu in the sewers dragged on longer than I would have liked, but I've faced far more tedious levels in other games before. ^_^

Love this game![/QUOTE]
Nos is definatly the hardest class in the game, godspeed

Thanks OP! Picked this up with a 4-pack of Senseo coffee pods to get free shipping.

I remember playing this for a brief period when it first came out. Definitely need to try it again with my upgraded system. I recall it not running as well as HL2 on my previous computer.

I can't decide which race to be, i keep trying em all out, but I can't decide which would be the most fun, since I dont know if I would be playing through this game more then once.
Any suggestions?

[quote name='T3kN']I can't decide which race to be, i keep trying em all out, but I can't decide which would be the most fun, since I dont know if I would be playing through this game more then once.
Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

I've only played as one race so far, the Toreador. I'm really enjoying it though, I guess the only bad thing I would have to say about the class is that humanity loss is doubled for any violations (killing innocents, etc). Of course, humanity gain is doubled too, so it's not too bad.

[quote name='Cyb3-rr']I recall it not running as well as HL2 on my previous computer.[/QUOTE]
If I remember right, Vampire runs on a beta version of the HL2 engine, and was never upgraded to the more polished, final version.

[quote name='Alien Spider']Yeah, if you can go with the discs for the same price, I'd go that route too. Besides, you should be able to use the CD key and link it to Steam if you want to download it. Best of both worlds![/QUOTE]

According to this link: http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=68#which

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines is not on the allowed list of retail games that you can add to steam using only the CD key.

Am I missing something?

Edit: Price on amazon.com showing up as $19.99 for me now.

[quote name='vpr']According to this link: http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=68#which

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines is not on the allowed list of retail games that you can add to steam using only the CD key.

Am I missing something?

Edit: Price on amazon.com showing up as $19.99 for me now.[/QUOTE]

No, you're not missing anything. I just assumed you could d/l the game through Steam with discs' CD key, but I was wrong apparently. My apologies. >_

[quote name='T3kN']I can't decide which race to be, i keep trying em all out, but I can't decide which would be the most fun, since I dont know if I would be playing through this game more then once.
Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Malkavian. your character is freaking nuts and your dialog options reflect that.

It did indeed go back up to $20. I'm disappointed. I was very interested in this game when it was new but after reading reviews that said it was so buggy, I didn't really pay attention much. That and I buy PC games but yet rarely play games on the PC.

Price back up to $20, lol could it be the deal has suffered Final Death? :D

A little VTMB humor for you (very little >_

Since Malkavian's have an alternate set of dialog for the entire game, I think it's more fun to play one of the more standard clans, such as Ventrue, Toreador, or like, before playing the crazies.

bread's done
Back