Velvet Assassin 10.42 at amazon

I got it from a random Walmart YMMV clearance for $5.00 and after playing it for about 15 minutes, I traded it in.

Don't do it to yourself, lol.

I had bought this game a while back for 30, and I dont regret the purchase, and now at this price I've bought 2 from amazon as gifts for my friends :)

I thought it was worth the $10 I paid for it during a goHastings B2G1 a while back.

It does have its share of problems; AI can be pretty stupid, gets repetitive, morphine mode felt unnecessary and it has almost no replay value (saw no reason to play through hard, started it up and it felt just like normal difficulty if you're playing it pure stealthily.)

With the small selection in the stealth genre this generation I was pretty happy to shell out $10 to play this one. Wish there were more stealth games and slightly less shoot everyone in the face games.

[quote name='WebScud']The PC version is $7.99 and can be registered on Steam.[/QUOTE]
Let's not forget the $4.98 shipping if you don't have Prime.

I have to say, though, this game has gotten an interesting mix of praise and criticism. There must be something about this game, even if its design is unforgiving and inflexible [based on the feedback I've received]. I can't help but be interested in playing this game.

I'm going to pick it up at some point; I have to see if it is special in some odd little way.

[quote name='BigT']Deadly Premonition is a much better deal at 15.99.
http://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Premonition-Xbox-360/dp/B002WSR8BC

I bought both at Microcenter a few months back for about 10 or 12 bux each.

Spent about 30 minutes on Velvet Assassin and about 40 hours on Deadly Premonition...

Heck, even Condemned 2 is a much better game at 13 bux:
http://www.amazon.com/Condemned-2-Bloodshot-Xbox-360/dp/B000XJO7A2/ref=pd_sim_vg_3[/QUOTE]

Agree that DP is a good game, but it is most definitely not for everyone.

[quote name='mr_bungle']Agree that DP is a good game, but it is most definitely not for everyone.[/QUOTE]
The game had me hooked from the opening video when the main character started psychoanalyzing Tom and Jerry's relationship in a conversation with his "imaginary friend." It probably also helps that I'm a huge Twin Peaks fan. In my book, Deadly Premonition is the GOTY for 2010 so far - it has a ton of flaws and quirks, but the story and character development made it impossible for me to put down.

I had high hopes for Velvet Assassin, but it never got me hooked with its story (not very strong early in the game) and the gameplay, while OK, wasn't strong enough to keep me playing. However, I didn't make it very far... so I'll give it a chance again, to see if it gets better. What do you think, Zach?

Yeah...being a huge Twin Peaks fan helps a lot for DP. If it weren't for me liking that show, I wouldn't like DP as much.

[quote name='trunks982']u guys kidding me? is DP better than Alan Wake?[/QUOTE]

Not to me. I've probably enjoyed the story in AW more than anything I've played this year...but that's not to say you shouldn't check out DP. It's only 15.99 at amazon.

[quote name='trunks982']u guys kidding me? is DP better than Alan Wake?[/QUOTE]

WTF kinda question is that? Thats like saying whats better halo 3 or rogue warrior?
smh2.gif

I read that one of the many glitches was psychic AI. I don't know about you but it breaks a stealth game for me & I'm not having that garbage.

[quote name='King Royalty']WTF kinda question is that? Thats like saying whats better halo 3 or rogue warrior?
smh2.gif
[/QUOTE]

this guy is saying that hes a huge Twin Peaks fan and to him, DP is GOTY 2010.

[quote name='PaperOtter']Don't buy this game. I got it for free and felt ripped off. I tried GIVING IT AWAY and they GAVE IT BACK.[/QUOTE]

So clever.

I am on the fence about checking this out. Might be worth a spin for $10 I have throw money away going to see worse movies in the theaters (Clash of the Titans most recent)

[quote name='joshnorm']So clever.

I am on the fence about checking this out. Might be worth a spin for $10 I have throw money away going to see worse movies in the theaters (Clash of the Titans most recent)[/QUOTE]

So... having wasted money on half-assed entertainment before, it's more bearable to waste money again? You're Activision's dream come true.
Also: I'm not being clever. I did try giving it to someone, and they did give it back because they hated it so much.

I just finished it on PC. I liked it, but I don't know that I'd recommend it. The game is fun, but it's also incredibly frustrating at times (soldiers seem to be almost prescient at times...you'll be sneaking up behind them and they turn like, the instant before you can stealth kill). The most annoying thing though is that you can only jump over and climb onto a few things, so there's a lot of time where there's a crate in your way that you can't climb over and stay in shadows, and instead have to try to get past the sometimes-prescient soldiers in the light.

Anyway...I got it for just under $7 from GamersGate, so no shipping or anything (until they figure out a way to justify S&H for downloads -_-) and I don't consider it wasted money, but I don't think I'd spend more than that for it either, for what it's worth.

[quote name='Xenogears']OP, add deadly premonition to the title and original post.[/QUOTE]

No. Deadly Premonition retailed new for 19.99, this game retailed for 59.99. Why in any way would I want to add DP to my original posting? People have known the price of DP now for awhile.

I was curious about this game for a while but its such a mixed bag of perspectives. On an interesting note, theres a god cheat code for the game that allows achievements haha.. Thats certainly a rarity.

So, is this an easy 1000/1000? $10 is usually the "buy price" for just about any game for me. (Since a rental here for two nights is like, $8.)

[quote name='mr_bungle']No. Deadly Premonition retailed new for 19.99, this game retailed for 59.99. Why in any way would I want to add DP to my original posting? People have known the price of DP now for awhile.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. Deadly Premonition has been $15.99 for some time. Def not a deal. When DP hits $10 it'll be a deal. Just can't bring myself to pay more than 50% off, even though the game is budget priced... LOL

[quote name='Rig']So, is this an easy 1000/1000? $10 is usually the "buy price" for just about any game for me. (Since a rental here for two nights is like, $8.)[/QUOTE]

Its ridiculous easy with the cheats

**Connect a USB keyboard to your Xbox 360**

God Mode - Hold Left SHIFT + Right SHIFT + P, then press G
Complete Current Level - Hold Left SHIFT + L, then press END

[quote name='PaperOtter']So... having wasted money on half-assed entertainment before, it's more bearable to waste money again? You're Activision's dream come true.
Also: I'm not being clever. I did try giving it to someone, and they did give it back because they hated it so much.[/QUOTE]

No, not really. Activision isn't going to get much money from me since I rarely buy the games. But at $10 for a few hours of entertainment its better then droping $10+ to go to the movies that is a crap shoot now a days or renting it.

To top it off the easy 1k makes it worth it to me. Hell if you still want you could give it to me and I promise I won't give it back.

[quote name='mr_bungle']No. Deadly Premonition retailed new for 19.99, this game retailed for 59.99. Why in any way would I want to add DP to my original posting? People have known the price of DP now for awhile.[/QUOTE]

K, gamer's loss i guess. But like many in this thread have said, I'd much rather have DP for 15 than velvet assassin for 10. Especially when as webscud pointed out, PC version is available for 7.99 and can be registered on Steam. Why not add that too?

[quote name='Xenogears']K, gamer's loss i guess. But like many in this thread have said, I'd much rather have DP for 15 than velvet assassin for 10. Especially when PC version is available for 7.99 and can be registered on Steam. Why not add that too?[/QUOTE]

Broken mirror, a million shades of light,
The old echo fades away,
But just you and I,
Can find the answer,
And then, we can run to the end of the world,
We can run to the end of the world.

Oh dude, I have to say something relevant, don't I?

Yeah, totally, I wish Deadly Premonition got a PC release.

Wait, what?

[quote name='WebScud']The PC version is $7.99 and can be registered on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Not sure where that info came from. I'm seeing $20 when i actually checked?

Just suggesting you add DP too, because a few other deals sites i've visited and seen this deal at have listed DP and velvet in it together. Some people would like a DP thread, but one alone would probably get bombed as "already discussed in velvet assasin thread!" DP is a good deal if you want to try out a quirky game. Not so sure it will go any cheaper, or be around for long, but its possible.

Not sure about the website, but heres velvet for $7.90, free shipping if your one of their "premium members", like $6 if your not. http://www.dealpal.com/Velvet-Assassin.html?%20source=cashbackShopping

I'm not seeing DP for cheaper than $18.60 anywhere

[quote name='Xenogears']Not sure where that info came from. I'm seeing $20 when i actually checked?

Just suggesting you add DP too, because a few other deals sites i've visited and seen this deal at have listed DP and velvet in it together. Some people would like a DP thread, but one alone would probably get bombed as "already discussed in velvet assasin thread!" DP is a good deal if you want to try out a quirky game. Not so sure it will go any cheaper, or be around for long, but its possible.

Not sure about the website, but heres velvet for $7.90, free shipping if one of their "premium members", like $6 if your not. http://www.dealpal.com/Velvet-Assassin.html?%20source=cashbackShopping[/QUOTE]

I see what you're saying now. I got the impression you had the mentality of, 'VA sucks, so change the name to DP which is a good game' that so many people try and thread crap around here. My apologies. I doubt I'll post DP in the title though, just because it's only a couple of dollars of its retail pricing, but hey..if you want to start a DP thread with the sale price of 15.99, I don't think anyone would flame you for that;) And I'd even post 'Great deal!' in it if you start it. Be a good way to get some rep, since you're a CAG in Training.

[quote name='mr_bungle']I see what you're saying now. I got the impression you had the mentality of, 'VA sucks, so change the name to DP which is a good game' that so many people try and thread crap around here. My apologies. I doubt I'll post DP in the title though, just because it's only a couple of dollars of its retail pricing, but hey..if you want to start a DP thread with the sale price of 15.99, I don't think anyone would flame you for that;) And I'd even post 'Great deal!' in it if you start it. Be a good way to get some rep, since you're a CAG in Training.[/QUOTE]

Ehhh, Im not so sure it deserves its own thread :) I've never even played the game. Just a suggestion, didnt mean to sound like a thread jacker. If a fan feels like this is a good price on DP, and deserves a thread, go ahead.

Also, with this deal, (Velvet for $7.90, free shipping if your one of their "premium members" http://www.dealpal.com/Velvet-Assass...shbackShopping) it looks like you may be able to sign up for a free trial of their premium "GameHouse" membership to get free shipping. If you want to save a few more bucks, and risk it with this site that is unknown to me atleast, give it a try.

For Eliot: I Am Alpha and Omega, The Beginning and the End, The First and the Last...” Xenogears is probably my favorite game ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually liked VA. The gameplay is simplistic and dated, but the graphics and atmosphere fit the WWII setting quite well. The fact that VA was "inspired by true events" didn't hurt either.

I also liked Rogue Ops last gen, so I guess I have a thing for B-grade female protagonist stealth games.

[quote name='Xenogears']Not sure where that info came from. I'm seeing $20 when i actually checked?[/QUOTE]

Sorry about that! I forgot to tell Amazon not to ever change the price after I posted. I can see how things would be confusing.

Cheapy, maybe in the next site update there could be a price lock auto-submit feature? It was save CAGs and retailers lots of headaches.

Edit:
I just looked at the item listing. The boxed copy is still $7.99, which can be activated on Steam. The Amazon digital version, which costs $20, can not.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='WebScud']
I just looked at the item listing. The boxed copy is still $7.99, which can be activated on Steam. The Amazon digital version, which costs $20, can not.[/QUOTE]

I just wasn't sure where you got the $7.99 number from scud. Your original link was just for the registration keys I guess, and all I saw was $20. But like you said when you actually checked it, it is $7.99 somewhere on Amazon? Steam? How about a link?

[quote name='Xenogears']I just wasn't sure where you got the $7.99 number from scud. Your original link was just for the registration keys I guess, and all I saw was $20. But like you said when you actually checked it, it is $7.99 somewhere on Amazon? Steam? How about a link?[/QUOTE]

Click the link in the OP, then click PC in the platform chooser.

92571366e.jpg

[quote name='lolwut?']I got it from a random Walmart YMMV clearance for $5.00 and after playing it for about 15 minutes, I traded it in.

Don't do it to yourself, lol.[/QUOTE]

Yes this game is really bad. Don't buy it if you like shooters, stealth, or just games in general as none of your expectations will be fulfilled.

My two cents.

If this game wasn't such an atrocious piece of dung i would buy it, i play games to have fun and the 2-3 hours i played i had to force myself to play through it because i felt i had to give a chance before writing it off as one of the worst games i have ever played i would rather watch paint dry then spend another minute with this game

thankfully i got it from gamefly and didn't actually spend money on it, i don't see how anyone could find this game even slightly fun i know achievement whores who won't even touch the game because its so so so so bad.. but to each to own i guess

[quote name='Frankovelli']Yes this game is really bad. Don't buy it if you like shooters, stealth, or just games in general as none of your expectations will be fulfilled.

My two cents.[/QUOTE]
if you like games period don't buy it because it won't feel like a game it will feel like a dreaded chore and while playing it you feel someone should be paying you i just can't get over the fact that some people actually like it and are spending money on it, you couldn't pay me to put this in my collection unless of course it's an absurd amount of money but you get the point

I got it for free from my brother. This game is TERRIBLE! There are no redeeming qualities about it except for the general idea of the game.

bread's done
Back