Victorious Boxers: The Fighting Revolution Real Boxers play it and link to review.

I'm anxious to see some real reviews, and some impressions here, of how the Wii controls work.

They were awful in Wii boxing, which is a shame as it would be fun otherwise. If this controls well, I'll probably put it on my "buy at $20 or less list" as a good controlling boxing game would be great for drunken gaming sessions.

dmaul,

Glad to hear another wii game has your interest.
Obviously some will disagree on the wii boxing controls being awful but thats for another thread.

Yeah, awful may be too strong a word. I just need the controls to be a lot closer to 1:1, even if that means holding buttons while doing motions to get certain punches, for me to enjoy it.

I have no patience for throwing a hook and getting a jab etc. etc. So I'm hoping this game has some way to more consistently produce the punches you want, and that it can support a quicker pace of punches.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, awful may be too strong a word. I just need the controls to be a lot closer to 1:1, even if that means holding buttons while doing motions to get certain punches, for me to enjoy it.

I have no patience for throwing a hook and getting a jab etc. etc. So I'm hoping this game has some way to more consistently produce the punches you want, and that it can support a quicker pace of punches.[/quote]

I agree, and want a 1:1 boxing control game. Problem with Wii Sports Boxing is, it was not *intended* to be 1:1. If you study the actual control scheme, the tpes of punches are based on small gestures with the controllers (e.g., forward tilts, sideways tilts/twists, etc.), and NOT on throwing actual punches.

I really want a 1:1 control boxing game. It would be tons of fun and a great workout to boot. :applause:

[quote name='DrMoze']I agree, and want a 1:1 boxing control game. Problem with Wii Sports Boxing is, it was not *intended* to be 1:1. If you study the actual control scheme, the tpes of punches are based on small gestures with the controllers (e.g., forward tilts, sideways tilts/twists, etc.), and NOT on throwing actual punches.

I really want a 1:1 control boxing game. It would be tons of fun and a great workout to boot. :applause:[/QUOTE]

Yep. So the question remains of whether the Wiimote and Nunchuck are accurate enough for 1:1.

Personally, I'd be fine if they bring in buttons combined with motions to make it work better. i.e. punch straight with nothing pressed is a jab, punch with A pressed is a hook. etc. The motions probably wouldn't "matter" in that kind of scheme, but you could still do them and get the punches, or if your lazy just hold the proper button and do a generic motion to activate it.

But maybe with more programming effort they can get jabs, hooks and upper cuts to work consistently on motion alone (since as you say it doesn't seem like Wii Sports Boxing was really designed that way for whatever reason). We just have to hope that reason wasn't that it's not feasible with the controller technology.

dmaul,

I am almost positive there were some button presses combined with motion controls for this game to get certain types of punches in.

[quote name='Snake2715']dmaul,

I am almost positive there were some button presses combined with motion controls for this game to get certain types of punches in.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! If so, excitement up a notch and will definitely have to give this a rental or just buy it outright when I see deal.

[quote name='Snake2715']dmaul,

I am almost positive there were some button presses combined with motion controls for this game to get certain types of punches in.[/QUOTE]

Ya, button presses are for the special moves (ie. gazelle punch, shotgun, dempsey roll, smash)

[quote name='ch3zyp00fs']Ya, button presses are for the special moves (ie. gazelle punch, shotgun, dempsey roll, smash)[/QUOTE]

Hmm. So guess I'll just have to wait for reviews (or give it a rental) and see if the motion controls work well in differentiating various normal punches then (i.e. jabs, hooks and upper cuts).

[quote name='dmaul1114']Hmm. So guess I'll just have to wait for reviews (or give it a rental) and see if the motion controls work well in differentiating various normal punches then (i.e. jabs, hooks and upper cuts).[/QUOTE]

yeah sorry about that, as it was somewhat incorrect info.

No worries man. I'm pretty confident the controls will be solid. This is a full on boxing game (aimed at the "hardcore" gamer niche) rather than what was essentially a collection of glorified tech demos in Wii Sports, so it seems like they'd put a lot more effort into getting the controls as close to 1:1 as possible.

But I'd still like to see some reviews indicating that's the case.

Got an email from Xseed this morning figured i would copy and paste here:

Ready for an intense boxing experience on the Wii? Victorious Boxers: Revolution has shipped to retailers across North America today!

A challenging, intense boxing title exclusively for the Wii home video game system, Victorious Boxers: Revolution offers the best boxing simulation outside of stepping into a real ring. Not only will players get a chance to swing and knockout their opponents, but they will also get a great workout! Victorious Boxers: Revolution is now available for a suggested retail price of US$39.99 and is rated "T" for Teen by the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB). Come check out the Official Site at www.victoriousboxersrevolution.com.

-XSEED Games

Game Details:

A boxing game with realistic boxing action and intuitive controls, Victorious Boxers: Revolution takes full advantage of the unique capabilities of the Wii Remote and Nunchuk to give players an authentic, real-life boxing experience. The various moves include punches like jabs, straights, uppercuts and hooks, as well as defensive maneuvers like ducks and sways. Players can enjoy several rounds with their friends or play through the deep and compelling Story Mode as they follow the story of Ippo Makunouchi, a high school student who is bullied by his classmates, as he rises to the top of the professional boxing ranks.

Various control schemes allow eager players to punch and weave with their body to make the action appear onscreen for the full boxing experience, as well as less strenuous options and even Classic Controller compatibility. The viewpoint is positioned right behind the player's transparent fighter to further enhance the feeling of being right there in the heat of battle.

Key Features:

Realistic one-on-one boxing experience, the first of its kind on the Nintendo Wii
Massive Story Mode with loads of in-game cut-scenes, voiced dialogue and plenty of unlockable content including special abilities, stages and boxers, with three difficulty settings to choose from
Sparring Mode with a variety of adjustable settings such as number of rounds and knock-down limits
25 playable characters to choose from, each with their own unique special moves such as the Gazelle Punch, Shotgun and Flicker Jab, and ability to adjust their speed, power and strength parameters
Four different types of control modes: Swing Mode allows the player to punch and maneuver using the Wii Remote and Nunchuk as if they are wearing boxing gloves; Pointer Mode allows the player to point and place a cursor on their target on screen and execute the moves with a smaller movement of the Wii Remote; Classic Controller Mode; and GameCube Controller Mode
A variety of stages / venues to choose from, including Sydney City Arena, Las Vegas Palace and Korakuen Hall

Victorious Boxers: Revolution has already won over these gaming journalists:

"...a superb first shot at what a serious boxing game could be like on Wii, utterly blowing Wii Sports interpretation of the sport out of the water."

-Play, October 2007

"...the multiplayer mode will probably draw in non-gamers and lead to some exciting living room championships."

-1up.com

"...a boxing experience that's quite unlike anything we've seen outside of elaborate arcade boxing cabinets and Wii Boxing."

-Game Informer, October 2007

"...Victorious Boxers is a heavyweight in the features department: it boasts deep gameplay and an arsenal of special attacks to keep the bouts interesting."

-Nintendo Power, November 2007

" ...the combination of smooth controls...and an amazing sense of atmosphere make this everything you could hope for in a Wii boxing game."

-Newtype USA, October 2007

Also come check out the live demo video clip from GameSpot's E3 2007 live coverage here!

Classic controller support is nice, game should be very playable even if the motion controls end up less than idea.

Big thumbs up to them for that.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Classic controller support is nice, game should be very playable even if the motion controls end up less than idea.

Big thumbs up to them for that.[/QUOTE]

Ya, it uses the engine from previous the Victorious Boxers so It's going to be solid gameplay.

WTF! Where's my game! Actually I heard some small chains have the game already, but the bigger chains (ie. gamestop/gamecrazy) got theirs delayed... that's so dumb. So much for that bullshit email I got from Xseed.

[quote name='ch3zyp00fs']**NEW UPDATE(S)**

Website WiiFanboy has reviewed VB Revolution and they love it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Real American boxers play VB.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26521.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Official US Victorious Boxers Website

Release Date: September 25th, 2007 (Found on Amazon and Gamestop) October 16th, 2007 Who the fuck knows. Some people have it some people don't.

Suggested Retail Price $39.99

Confirmed by XSeed Games

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

51CP1eUz7EL._SS500_.jpg

NEW HANDS ON IMPRESSIONS OF THE US RELEASE BY GAMESPOT!

It's not Punch-Out!!, but Victorious Boxers is still amazing. Realistic fighting and an amazing gameplay, made the PS2 Victorious Boxer games cult favorites among gamers. The following is a video from e3 announcing the release of Victorious Boxers for the Nintendo Wii here in the USA. Xseed games will be bringing it stateside.

Gamespot e3 video, stage demo and announcement

Videos:

Instructional Video / Pro Boxing Gym Promo (Japanese)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NlE76lfTELE
Japanese Game Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id8avSzotEQ

Gameplay video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ1XKSzcySs
Another Gameplay Video, 8 Minutes (Sanada vs. Ippo)

Pictures:
h9_qjgenth.jpg

Hajime-No-Ippo-Veracious-Fighters-wii-02.thumb.jpg

Hajime-No-Ippo-Veracious-Fighters-wii-29.jpg

Official Japanese Site

Victorious Boxers: The Fighting Revolution, Xseed Games, October 16th, 2007[/QUOTE]

Also VB for the PSP has been announced.

Damn.

From the 6.0 gamespot review linked above.

"None of the motion-based control schemes are very good."

And then.

"Unfortunately, the actual boxing isn't that great, no matter which control scheme you choose."

:(

Oh well, will be skipping it and will just assume from now on that the Wii controls aren't responsive enough to give us a good motion control boxing game. Oh well, there's always the Wii 2.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Damn.

And then.

"Unfortunately, the actual boxing isn't that great, no matter which control scheme you choose."

Oh well, will be skipping it and will just assume from now on that the Wii controls aren't responsive enough to give us a good motion control boxing game. Oh well, there's always the Wii 2.[/QUOTE]

Ya, I was suprised they didn't let Ryan McDonald also a reviewer on Gamespot review the game. He's been an Ippo supporter and loved the demo. He also was a boxer. I don't really believe this guys review though as I don't know how long he's played it. As many other people have told me quite the opposite and someone told me this guys just hates the Wii and he bashes it all the time. Eh.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Damn.

And then.

Oh well, will be skipping it and will just assume from now on that the Wii controls aren't responsive enough to give us a good motion control boxing game. Oh well, there's always the Wii 2.[/QUOTE]

Game Informer, at least, disagrees with Gamespot, although not vigorously.

"That said, the Wii motion controls fel[t] pretty good after you warm up to them, and it helps that there are six different control schemes to pick from."

*shrug*

It's anecdotal, but the controls seem fine (so far) to one of my buddies, and he's been boxing/teaching kung fu for three or four years now. He'd know from responsive punching.

So I opened my copy on Friday evening around 7pm I stopped the game at close to 1:30 am I did stop in there to eat, but I like the game.

I have a problem at level 20
I a using Sawamura and for the life of me cannot beat Mashiba, does anyone know how to knock him out? My corner did say something about waiting for the right moment. In the past the corner is pretty good about telling you how to beat the people. I have not had this much problem with anyone else. I have probably played him 10-20 times and will be rocking him and then the begining of a round he will literally hit me 1-2 times and its over completely. Goes to the cut scene about making him get his killer instinct back and its over asap... not even a count.

Please give me any pointers.

Ok not much help from everyone... I guess no one bought this game?

i started using left hand jabs and really working the upper body combos then throwing in a low shot now and then...

I got a double knock down (me and him) and then with 1 51 to go on the first round I knocked him down again.. Then I went to town leading with the left jab and finally whipped his sorry ass a few minutes ago. I had not played the game since the last post and it took me 5 or so trys. Now I am guessing I will breeze through the game.

I didn't even know this game was out!!! Kind of makes you wonder when the first thing that gets cut is advertising. Even to 1st or 2nd yr business students, it is stressed that advertising is important. What gets lost along the way that when these games come about, the advertising budget gets cut or is nowhere to be found to begin with?

[quote name='schuerm26']I didn't even know this game was out!!! Kind of makes you wonder when the first thing that gets cut is advertising. Even to 1st or 2nd yr business students, it is stressed that advertising is important. What gets lost along the way that when these games come about, the advertising budget gets cut or is nowhere to be found to begin with?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps they didn't really advertise because this is a niche game and they're hoping for word of mouth?

[quote name='Snake2715']So I opened my copy on Friday evening around 7pm I stopped the game at close to 1:30 am I did stop in there to eat, but I like the game.
[/quote]

Just like snake did I put it in for the first time today and ended up playing for about 7 hours straight. The controls work very well; for me the learning curve came in stages. It took me about 5-10 minutes to really start playing, then an hour later I was quite into it and believed I had everything down. Give it a chance, it may take some time, but you'll get to good accuracy before long.

Anyway ... fun game, easy to get into ... I know I'll be playing it a lot more.

[quote name='Judge Groovyman'] The controls work very well; for me the learning curve came in stages.
.[/quote]

Are u refering to the wii controls? Do you think a 6 year old will be able to do it.

[quote name='Snake2715']a 6 year old? he/She could do it but they may not get very far.[/QUOTE]

Ya, I think for a 6 year old, it'll really just be a lot of energetic flailing.

on another note, I heard that the PSP version of Victorious Boxers may be getting a stateside release.

Was fun to play an Ippo game but it was pretty bad. Wii Sports was better for gesture controls, and could always pop in Fight Night 3 for controller.

bread's done
Back