Video Games in School????

Isles Guru

CAGiversary!
I am a teacher in the School District of Philadelphia. I am wondering if my principal will allow me to bring in a Playstation or Sega for the kids to use on occassion as a reward and/or an incentive for completing all of their work. My questions are (a) will I ever be able to convince my princiapal that is a good idea (b) what games can be justified as being "educational?" (games like Jeopardy or puzzle games like Tetris perhaps). What do you guys think???

[quote name='Isles Guru'] (a) will I ever be able to convince my princiapal that is a good idea[/QUOTE]

Now seeing as its doubtful that anyone of us knows your principal, and rather unlikely any of have any experience which your school district.. why would you ask us that? How is any one person here supposed to know?

I guess what I am asking is do you think it is a reasonable request or a bad idea? I understand no one knows my school or principal. I guess I was asking more generally what people thought of the idea of bringing in video games for educational purposes.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Now seeing as its doubtful that anyone of us knows your principal, and rather unlikely any of have any experience which your school district.. why would you ask us that? How is any one person here supposed to know?[/QUOTE]

Well I think what we really need is a way to keep our kids on video games and in front of a TV for an even larger portion of their day then. /sarcasm

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Well I think what we really need is a way to keep our kids on video games and in front of a TV for an even larger portion of their day then. /sarcasm[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

My ROTC instructor did that. He never gave a fuck about the district though, so that's probably not the greatest example :lol:

In light of all the crap about VG's, last thing you need is a parent blaming you because their kid is a retard...so I'd highly advise against it, just bring in some cool board games...

Ok then. See I should have explained that my actual job is a school counselor. Being that I work in the School District of Philadelphia, I get thrown in to the classroom more often than I would like. Without any teachers to assist with discipline, I am a cross between a sub and a prep teacher. Not to mention that an effective counselor does NOT threaten, scream at kids (like most tachers do to deal with unruly kids) so without getting on my knees and having to beg them to behave I was looking for ways to help motivate them to do work and to help keep the classroom discipline under control. I feel that certain video games, OBVIOUSLY not the violent or matured themed ones, can not only be beneficial in the classrooom (puzzle solving, bulding social skills etc.), but it will be an excellent motivater to do their other work. And no, I wasn't planning on using this idea for a majority of the class, maybe the last ten miniutes of the period. Sheesh. Sorry for thinking outside of the box.

[quote name='Isles Guru']Game ideas?[/QUOTE]

The Guy Game ...

Seriously though, I think stuff like Ratchet & Clank, Indiana Jones, Spiderman, and the like are acceptable games for everybody. Or sports games because there really isn't anything to argue about if a kid plays Madden, since he can just watch the NFL on TV with real people getting their ACL torn :p

As a parent, I don't think I'd like this.
I think videogames can certainly have benefits to kids, but many of those same benefits can be obtained using other methods that won't raise as many questions. And I'm sure it wouldn't take too long before a student brings in a 'cool' game [ie, ultraviolent.]
Board games, card games, group projects, etc.
Why not have your class make up their own version of Jeopardy, and play it 'live' in the classroom [in teams]?

I think the challenge most teachers deal with nowadays is trying to make education 'fun', because learning for learnings sake is out of fashion. I don't necessarily mind that, but it still needs to be focused on learning.

And as a taxpayer, I'd also be thinking, "Wait a minute, didn't my taxes just go to hire bunches more teachers and counselors and assistants etc? Don't they have degrees, education, etc? What are they doing sitting my kid in front of a video game?"

And as the son of two teachers and grandson of a third, I'm slightly offended by the implication of your phrase: "scream at kids (like most tachers do to deal with unruly kids)". "Most" teachers don't do that, in fact, I haven't seen a single one of my teachers 'scream' at their kids, nor has my mom shared any similar experiences. And she taught the 'borderline' kids, who needed extra help to succeed in 'regular' school [more than once the police came to her classroom--she taught second grade].

As for game suggestions, if you were to do this, maybe things like:

Culdcept
Hot Shots Golf
Super Monkey Ball Deluxe
if you can find a relatively non-violent tactics game, that might be good
Katamari Damacy
Graffiti Kingdom/Magic Pengel
that new game coming out with the Japanese calligraphy thing

Basically games that are a little 'different', that may have some reasonably manageable competition, mostly non violent, and require some 'lateral' or active thinking.

Isles, I highly doubt your principal would allow it. There are too many problems that could arise, parent complaints about inadequate use of classtime being at the top. I teach elementary (5th) and the only time I bring a system (Gamecube) to class is on our twice a year class party. I usually let the students play Mario Kart or SSBM. My principal believes this is fine because of the circumstance. There are simply too many things to accomplish during the school day. Now after school, something could be set up. A friend of mine set up a makeshift pc game club for students who are accomplishing certain academic goals. They mainly played Age of Kings, with parent permission of course. By the way, I am in California.

"I think the challenge most teachers deal with nowadays is trying to make education 'fun', because learning for learnings sake is out of fashion. I don't necessarily mind that, but it still needs to be focused on learning.

And as a taxpayer, I'd also be thinking, "Wait a minute, didn't my taxes just go to hire bunches more teachers and counselors and assistants etc? Don't they have degrees, education, etc? What are they doing sitting my kid in front of a video game?"

Thanks for mentioning this DT. This is precisely my point. Children are there to learn. It is hard to justify giving them video game playing time during the school day.

It sounds like you've made up your mind already... I'm not criticizing you or your abilities as a teacher or to motivate students but I don't think it's a good idea. Not everyone likes video games and parents probably wouldn't want their kids playing them in school. I know I wouldn't. There are plenty of other things you can use to motivate students to keep quiet and work hard that aren't video game related - like money and hookers.

I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. I work in the Philadelphia School District and it is a very frustrating experience. And as hair pulling as it is for me I wouldn't trade it for what a full time teacher has to deal with. Some of the classrooms are so out of control. It is no wonder why so many teachers in urban schools get burned out and why the turnover rate is so high. It is really difficult to be effective counselor in a classroom setting with over 30 kids in a cramped classroom without support from teachers. I know video games is not the ideal method for teaching, but if it gets them to do their other work is it really such a horrible idea? Thanks again for your input.

[quote name='dtcarson']As a parent, I don't think I'd like this.
I think videogames can certainly have benefits to kids, but many of those same benefits can be obtained using other methods that won't raise as many questions. And I'm sure it wouldn't take too long before a student brings in a 'cool' game [ie, ultraviolent.]
Board games, card games, group projects, etc.
Why not have your class make up their own version of Jeopardy, and play it 'live' in the classroom [in teams]?

I think the challenge most teachers deal with nowadays is trying to make education 'fun', because learning for learnings sake is out of fashion. I don't necessarily mind that, but it still needs to be focused on learning.

And as the son of two teachers and grandson of a third, I'm slightly offended by the implication of your phrase: "scream at kids (like most tachers do to deal with unruly kids)". "Most" teachers don't do that, in fact, I haven't seen a single one of my teachers 'scream' at their kids, nor has my mom shared any similar experiences. And she taught the 'borderline' kids, who needed extra help to succeed in 'regular' school [more than once the police came to her classroom--she taught second grade].

As for game suggestions, if you were to do this, maybe things like:

Culdcept
Hot Shots Golf
Super Monkey Ball Deluxe
if you can find a relatively non-violent tactics game, that might be good
Katamari Damacy
Graffiti Kingdom/Magic Pengel
that new game coming out with the Japanese calligraphy thing

Basically games that are a little 'different', that may have some reasonably manageable competition, mostly non violent, and require some 'lateral' or active thinking.[/QUOTE]

The idea of using hookers as an incentive for children is flat out silly. Unless these were hookers with a heart of gold. Then it is a different story.

P.S. Happy Tree Friends rule!!!

[quote name='javeryh']It sounds like you've made up your mind already... I'm not criticizing you or your abilities as a teacher or to motivate students but I don't think it's a good idea. Not everyone likes video games and parents probably wouldn't want their kids playing them in school. I know I wouldn't. There are plenty of other things you can use to motivate students to keep quiet and work hard that aren't video game related - like money and hookers.[/QUOTE]

Back in 3rd grade our class had a rewards list for doing good deeds and getting good grades and stuff. One of the things you could pick was staying in for recess and playing computer games...of course this was also about 16 years ago and times have changed a little.

In 3rd Grade my Brother and his whole class participated in a Lightspan program that invovled playstation. They made educational games for 3rd Graders. So thats actually how i got my hands on a playstation in '97. I had a Saturn........ For the whole year the kids in my brothers class got a FREE playstation. BUt as a techear thats a pretty cool reward. I dont think the principal will be too happy about what your looking to do.
LIGHTSPAN GAMES INFO (Article I think my brother was the first school)
Find out about Lightspan you can have it for your own school

Some Games:
Rayman Word Games PS1 (Educational don't think thats the exact title)
Elmos #'s and Words
(2 different games only recommend if you teach kindergarden or first grade)

Ohh **** they have it on ebay link:
CLick
The Kids will like, principal approval definetly!!!
NOTE: BUY IT NOW LINKS

[quote name='Isles Guru']I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. I work in the Philadelphia School District and it is a very frustrating experience. And as hair pulling as it is for me I wouldn't trade it for what a full time teacher has to deal with. Some of the classrooms are so out of control. It is no wonder why so many teachers in urban schools get burned out and why the turnover rate is so high. It is really difficult to be effective counselor in a classroom setting with over 30 kids in a cramped classroom without support from teachers. I know video games is not the ideal method for teaching, but if it gets them to do their other work is it really such a horrible idea? Thanks again for your input.[/QUOTE]

True. It's really a nightmare situation because the parents don't care either, and will sue at the drop of a hat to try and make a quick buck. They are also always yelling about how their kids could be polite and pass tests but are treated unfairly because of

Not all parents, thankfully.
However that problem is in part of the school system's own making. The school systems [and the government wonks behind the school systems] have done just about all they can to minimize parental involvement and interest in their kids' education. Just check out any 'official' school board opinion of homeschooling/homeschoolers, even though homeschoolers generally perform much better than public school students [proportionally].
And of course the fact that the civil court system is so full of other 'pain and suffering' type lawsuits, it makes it attractive for virtually anybody to do the same.
And a lot of the problems aren't even due to the teachers--its' from the principals, or the school boards, or the state level, many of whose members, coincidentally enough, don't have kids. And even the ones who do, they are so distant from the school/community, that they pass edicts without knowing--or caring--what will work *for these specific kids* like the teacher does. Bureaucracy at its best/worst.
And I say this, having been there. I'm not currently in the school system, but my entire educational career was public schools, and between my mom and dad, they had probably 50+ years of public school experience as teachers, dealing with parents who don't care, parents who want to care, principals who are bureaucrats instead of educators, commands coming from 'state' rather than 'local', etc.

as a son of a parent i think you should be teaching kids to exercise more. theres too many fat kids nowadays and playing video games will just get them fatter.

Kids really don't need to be playing videogames during school. Frankly, I was surprised when one poster mentioned how his school sponsored a videogame "club" that met during and/or before/after school hours. Certainly, most videogames are entertaining, but the majority of them aren't educational in nature and shouldn't be allowed during regular class time (when actual learning could instead be taking place).

eh this reminded me back in high school we had a TEkken 3 competition the Dreamcast was out that time so first place winner got a free DC.

[quote name='Isles Guru']I guess what I am asking is do you think it is a reasonable request or a bad idea? I understand no one knows my school or principal. I guess I was asking more generally what people thought of the idea of bringing in video games for educational purposes.[/QUOTE]

I say buy an educational game lets say a $5 dollar copy of tetris or some puzzle game. Then ask the principal tell them that you want to use it as an incentive however unlike the other teachers that bring candy or movies this one will actually help them hand eye coordination, social skills, and problem solving. If they look kinda like I don't know show them the back of the box and the the rating etc.

When I was in middle school my gym teacher had a madden tourney.
It was more for the fact that his wife would not let him play at home so he brung it to work.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']Kids really don't need to be playing videogames during school. Frankly, I was surprised when one poster mentioned how his school sponsored a videogame "club" that met during and/or before/after school hours. Certainly, most videogames are entertaining, but the majority of them aren't educational in nature and shouldn't be allowed during regular class time (when actual learning could instead be taking place).[/QUOTE]

Compared to some of the stuff we did to pass time when I was in school, video games are highly educational.

a cheap way to go is dreamcast... plus, mos tof the games for that system are cheap and allow for 4 players to get involved with palying with each other. I think this is a great "reward"... but just as long as it is a "reward" and not a thing you would just turn on to make students shut up for the whole class.

[quote name='Isles Guru']I am a teacher in the School District of Philadelphia. I am wondering if my principal will allow me to bring in a Playstation or Sega for the kids to use on occassion as a reward and/or an incentive for completing all of their work. My questions are (a) will I ever be able to convince my princiapal that is a good idea (b) what games can be justified as being "educational?" (games like Jeopardy or puzzle games like Tetris perhaps). What do you guys think???[/QUOTE]

You know what OP? Disregard ALL of the previous negative posts up until this one.

Have you disregarded them yet?

Okay. My father is a 5th grade teacher, and damned if he isn't the finest and most acknowledged elementary teacher in his school. He is constantly praised by parents and faculty alike for the lasting impression he instills in his students, further promoting a life long love of learning.

My father chooses a system of rewards, rather than punishments, to guide his students through their coursework. It started with small prizes, then moved on to snacks, and now he decided to bring a DVD player and an N64 into his classroom. I can't tell you how well it's worked. The very IDEA of being able to play just 15 mintues of a video game IN SCHOOL has made his students work harder and focus their efforts even more.

Of course you'll have to clear it with your principal, but as long as you make a case stating that you will limit their time, as well as lay out the work requirements students must fulfill to earn time on the game system, I don't see it being a problem.

/2centsEnd

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']Kids really don't need to be playing videogames during school. Frankly, I was surprised when one poster mentioned how his school sponsored a videogame "club" that met during and/or before/after school hours. Certainly, most videogames are entertaining, but the majority of them aren't educational in nature and shouldn't be allowed during regular class time (when actual learning could instead be taking place).[/QUOTE]

Honestly max. Don't tell me you're so naive as to think that from 8:15 - 2:55 (save lunch) kids in school are learning NON-STOP. It just doesn't work that way. Think of the amount of time you spend engaged at work. I'll bet it's about 75% of the time you spend there each day.

Giving a child an incentive is a great way to motivate them to learn. One thing I left out of my previous post - the titles my father chose. Nothing T rated - only E rated games. His games of choice? Mario 64, Pilotwings, and Diddy Kong Racing. :)

I will be a junior this year and I can honestly say that at my school I probably only spend about 40% of the time actually learning/studing something. The other time is spent listening to teacher lecture about rules and dealing with morons that don't want to learn, eating lunch, time inbetween class, etc. We have 7 hr days and I probably only spend about 3 hrs a day actually learning something. I am definetly looking forward to college.

You're looking forward to college, because that ratio of 'useful hours' will *increase*, or *decrease*? Obviously college is much 'freer', so a lot of it depends on how the student makes use of his time, but I distinctly recall a greater portion of time, at least in spring, spent playing volleyball and watching the girls, rather than learning or even being in class.

I see what is being said about incentive, and to an extent, I agree. Then again, the whole purpose of school is to learn, and sometimes you don't get rewarded, at least not instantly, for doing things you are 'supposed' to do.

It's too bad more educational games haven't been made. I mean you can make entertaining games with a touch of education in them too, see "Brainlord", "Adventures Of Lolo", etc. If the kids were old enough for T I would suggest a puzzle adventure game like "D" but not M of course.
Also Bust-A-Move would be great for kids, it's easily educational as it includes Mathematics in it.
edit: I remember one PC game a while back as shareware that was hard as fuck in puzzles but it included hack'n'slash. This game was like 386DX-486DX days though but damn that would have the kids wrapping their minds around it.

[quote name='psiufoxx2']Honestly max. Don't tell me you're so naive as to think that from 8:15 - 2:55 (save lunch) kids in school are learning NON-STOP.[/QUOTE]

Naive?! I'm being realistic here. Maybe your father can get away using electronic gaming during class time, but I'm pretty sure that most taxpayers in my district would be up in arms if they learned gaming was a "normal" part of their children's school day. My public school system scores well below the national average, so time spent actually learning is considered a high priority here.

When i take care of my little cousins i just threaten them with taking their gamecube away. once that happens they go back do their work. if anything is wrong they have to go back and do it again once its all right then they can play. Its not a bad tool to use but i doubt any traditional school princilpe would allow a VG system in school...

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3']Naive?! I'm being realistic here. Maybe your father can get away using electronic gaming during class time, but I'm pretty sure that most taxpayers in my district would be up in arms if they learned gaming was a "normal" part of their children's school day. My public school system scores well below the national average, so time spent actually learning is considered a high priority here.[/QUOTE]

I remember when I was in school we had a lot of wasted time.

Well, I remember in elementary school, when we got done with our work, we could play games on the computer. They consisted mostly of Oregon Trail, but they were games, and everyone LOVED it.

I think it's a good idea!

only read the first page.. but

I don't think games (video or board) are anyway incentive for students to get work done.. they only way they'll do the work is if they want to do it. And along with that.. (i'm going by the classrooms I had as a kid, i'm only 20 but..) our classrooms had 1 tv a room and going by what a PS1, a Genny, or pretty much any system, what happens when you reward a few then everyone is going to want to play the games, its just going to get to a point where the work doesn't matter and the kids will just want to play games all period.

I'm also against it because, kids don't play well with others, and what happens when kids start getting bullied or laughed at because they are playing the games in class. I think board games would be a better choice as video games don't have enough players so when everyone has "reached the play time goal" there is enough for everyone.

oh yea my electronic game design class has our own xbox and ps2 upstairs in the library.
only we are allow to play and have access :p

bread's done
Back