Violent Lee's Published Reviews/Previews (Castlevania:PoR DS, Lumines 2, Viva Pinata)

Finally organized all the stuff I did for E3 -- all video for GameTrailers, my new full-time employer. My last freelance gig before taking the job was reviewing New Super Mario Bros, so that's been added, too.

Your comments on the video stuff are greatly appreciated.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Finally organized all the stuff I did for E3 -- all video for GameTrailers, my new full-time employer. My last freelance gig before taking the job was reviewing New Super Mario Bros, so that's been added, too.

Your comments on the video stuff are greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Out of curiosity, how much does GameTrailers pay you? ;)

[quote name='yukine']Out of curiosity, how much does GameTrailers pay you? ;)[/QUOTE]
It'd be unprofessional for me to talk about my salary. The freelance day rate, which I got at the show, is pretty average for most on-camera gigs. My actual weekly pay is much better than most game journo gigs -- in part because of my experience and in larger part because of MTV's large budget. Plus, LA's cost of living is pretty darn pricey.

[quote name='CheapyD']Congrats on the full-time gig!
I watched the WWE 2007 video...nice job.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, Cheapy. Glad you enjoy some of things I do. After all, I constantly enjoy this fine site you've put together.

[quote name='ViolentLee']It'd be unprofessional for me to talk about my salary. The freelance day rate, which I got at the show, is pretty average for most on-camera gigs. My actual weekly pay is much better than most game journo gigs -- in part because of my experience and in larger part because of MTV's large budget. Plus, LA's cost of living is pretty darn pricey.

Thanks, Cheapy. Glad you enjoy some of things I do. After all, I constantly enjoy this fine site you've put together.[/quote]
I figured you'd say that. :D

Anyway, keep up the good work. ;)

Bump! Finally got around to updating my stuff, and there was a lot to add: SFA Anthology, GTA: Liberty City PS2, Da Vinci Code, etc.

I had taken a full-time gig for all of two weeks before I figured it wasn't for me. Back to freelancing -- though admittedly with a lighter schedule, as I'm working on some non-game journalism stuff. And I'm sure that's more than any of you cared to know about me.

That GTTV gig looked tight, too bad it wasn't for you.

I'm pretty much on the fence about VG jornalism. On one hand, I do enjoy writing a review from time to time, on the other hand, I know I need some serious work with writing skills (among other things). Thankfully I'm at that point if life where I can shape my destiny in way I see fit (well mostly, it's not like I'll be an astronaut, or a scientist).

[quote name='-Never4ever-']That GTTV gig looked tight, too bad it wasn't for you.

I'm pretty much on the fence about VG jornalism. On one hand, I do enjoy writing a review from time to time, on the other hand, I know I need some serious work with writing skills (among other things). Thankfully I'm at that point if life where I can shape my destiny in way I see fit (well mostly, it's not like I'll be an astronaut, or a scientist).[/QUOTE]

Just don't take toooo long shaping said destiny, or you'll be in your late 20s thinking to yourself, "What the hell do I want to do with myself?"

Contrary to popular belief, writing skills are an integral part of being a good game journalist -- about as much as knowing a lot about video games. Yes, things can be edited and fixed, but nobody wants to work with someone whose finished product requires extra effort to publish.

Wow! I didn't know you posted here. It may just be me, but I felt a dark cloud spread over Game Informer after you left. Your reviews used to validate my subscription. No kidding. I almost always agreed entirely with your opinion on every game you reviewed. Now, I have to go to Joe Juba for my GI fix. Regardless, I'm still digging your work. It's good to know I can look here to keep up with what you're writing. Loved the RVD interview. I swear, he must be baked 24 hours a day, as made evident by his recent possession charges, here in Ohio. Why else would he be wearing sunglasses? Heh.

On another note, if it wouldn't bother you to check it out, I work at an indie gaming site (non-paying, of course), pretty much just for run, as I already have a dayjob and I'd like it if you could possibly critique a review or two. Here's my Tomb Raider: Legend review, since you reviewed that one also: http://xbox.gamexc.com/modules.php?module=reviews&id=163
And my Dreamfall: The Longest Journey review:
http://xbox.gamexc.com/modules.php?module=reviews&id=166

Later!

[quote name='QuasidodoJr']Wow! I didn't know you posted here. It may just be me, but I felt a dark cloud spread over Game Informer after you left. Your reviews used to validate my subscription. No kidding. I almost always agreed entirely with your opinion on every game you reviewed. Now, I have to go to Joe Juba for my GI fix. Regardless, I'm still digging your work. It's good to know I can look here to keep up with what you're writing. Loved the RVD interview. I swear, he must be baked 24 hours a day, as made evident by his recent possession charges, here in Ohio. Why else would he be wearing sunglasses? Heh.

On another note, if it wouldn't bother you to check it out, I work at an indie gaming site (non-paying, of course), pretty much just for run, as I already have a dayjob and I'd like it if you could possibly critique a review or two. Here's my Tomb Raider: Legend review, since you reviewed that one also: http://xbox.gamexc.com/modules.php?module=reviews&id=163

Later![/quote]

I know I'm not as cool as Violent Lee, but I enjoyed the review. Keep it up.

;)

Pretty sweet man, if I didn't do so much writing at my current gig I'd probably do this as well. But a mandatory two stories a week for the Air Force web site curtails my desire to write in my free time.

[quote name='QuasidodoJr']Wow! I didn't know you posted here. It may just be me, but I felt a dark cloud spread over Game Informer after you left. Your reviews used to validate my subscription. No kidding. I almost always agreed entirely with your opinion on every game you reviewed. Now, I have to go to Joe Juba for my GI fix. Regardless, I'm still digging your work. It's good to know I can look here to keep up with what you're writing. Loved the RVD interview. I swear, he must be baked 24 hours a day, as made evident by his recent possession charges, here in Ohio. Why else would he be wearing sunglasses? Heh.

Later![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the compliments. Glad you liked the stuff I did at GI. I still talk to some of those guys relatively often. It was a good time, but I'm glad I left when I did.

I'll peep your reviews in the near future and let you know what I think. Doing fan sites is the best way to get experience. If they had those before I got in the biz, I definitely would've taken advantage of them. I mean, if you're gonna play a game anyway, why not get some writing practice and put it up for all to see?

Coincidentally, I was listening to 311 (your avatar) while I read your post.

[quote name='jlarlee']Pretty sweet man, if I didn't do so much writing at my current gig I'd probably do this as well. But a mandatory two stories a week for the Air Force web site curtails my desire to write in my free time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, not sure I'd write about games as much if I wasn't paying my bills with it -- um, the CAG stuff notwithstanding of course. :) I know a lot of game journo friends who write tons of game stuff in their blogs. I try to take those moments to touch on other aspects of life, or I just spend the time actually playing games. Which reminds me...Oblivion's calling.

Bump for long-time-coming update. Posted 8 stories. With travel and other things going on, I haven't been doing too much game writing (but look for me on episodes of CSI: Miami and the new NBC game show, 1 vs. 100).

To be brutally honest, I enjoy the content of your reviews; they're short, sweet, and to the point. But after reading your Disgaea review, my opinion changed a bit. Some of the phrases you use (lay the smack down) are really awkward. I cringed at "gang-up attacks". Anyways, just some constructive criticisim (not that you should listen to a senior in High School with only a couple writing classes under his belt).

Onto a question I have:

Do you have a journalism major? What credentials must you posess to have your reviews published?

Because honestly, I think some of the Gamespot reviews are poorly written and hardly cover what a review should cover. I've taken a few AP Lit and AP Writing courses in High School, and I feel that I could write a better review than some of the writers, especially Bethany Masimilla (I think she reviews some RPGs, notably Star Ocean 3).

I realize that it's a bold statement to make, but is it that much to ask for a transition that doesn't seem so awkward? Or some wordflow that isn't so jerky?

[quote name='xghostsniperx']To be brutally honest, I enjoy the content of your reviews; they're short, sweet, and to the point. But after reading your Disgaea review, my opinion changed a bit. Some of the phrases you use (lay the smack down) are really awkward. I cringed at "gang-up attacks". Anyways, just some constructive criticisim (not that you should listen to a senior in High School with only a couple writing classes under his belt).

Onto a question I have:

Do you have a journalism major? What credentials must you posess to have your reviews published?

Because honestly, I think some of the Gamespot reviews are poorly written and hardly cover what a review should cover. I've taken a few AP Lit and AP Writing courses in High School, and I feel that I could write a better review than some of the writers, especially Bethany Masimilla (I think she reviews some RPGs, notably Star Ocean 3).

I realize that it's a bold statement to make, but is it that much to ask for a transition that doesn't seem so awkward? Or some wordflow that isn't so jerky?[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your opinions. Not sure there was a better word choice for gang-up attacks -- that's just what they are. I thought "tag-team" might be too wrestling'y, and as a former independent pro wrestler, I have to be wary not to overdo it with the lingo. Laying the smack down is one of those very terms, and in my opinion has become an accepted part of pop-culture vernacular.

On to your questions...
I've never spend a day in college. I've always loved writing, and done it a lot in my spare time. Not sure if that's the norm or not, but it doesn't seem all that unusual. Before getting hired for Game Informer in fall 1999, I had honestly never written a video game review -- save for those accompanying my application. I was working for the heavy metal band GWAR as a "slave," writing various materials and doing merch duties. I also was a lifelong gamer.

That's not to say it's easy to get a job writing reviews, mind you. Nowadays, there's a lot more competition. Lots of people are cutting their teeth on fan sites and blogs, which are both great for experience and exposure. How to make the jump to being paid is a different story, and one that I don't consider myself an expert in. Selling yourself is very important in what I do (as a freelancer), and making connections is key. The majority of the time, the work finds me rather than vice-versa.

If you think you can write better reviews than some you've read, there's nothing to stop you. Heck, you can even post them in this very forum section. It's a great place to start.

[quote name='ViolentLee']I appreciate your opinions. Not sure there was a better word choice for gang-up attacks -- that's just what they are. I thought "tag-team" might be too wrestling'y, and as a former independent pro wrestler, I have to be wary not to overdo it with the lingo. Laying the smack down is one of those very terms, and in my opinion has become an accepted part of pop-culture vernacular.

On to your questions...
I've never spend a day in college. I've always loved writing, and done it a lot in my spare time. Not sure if that's the norm or not, but it doesn't seem all that unusual. Before getting hired for Game Informer in fall 1999, I had honestly never written a video game review -- save for those accompanying my application. I was working for the heavy metal band GWAR as a "slave," writing various materials and doing merch duties. I also was a lifelong gamer.

That's not to say it's easy to get a job writing reviews, mind you. Nowadays, there's a lot more competition. Lots of people are cutting their teeth on fan sites and blogs, which are both great for experience and exposure. How to make the jump to being paid is a different story, and one that I don't consider myself an expert in. Selling yourself is very important in what I do (as a freelancer), and making connections is key. The majority of the time, the work finds me rather than vice-versa.

If you think you can write better reviews than some you've read, there's nothing to stop you. Heck, you can even post them in this very forum section. It's a great place to start.[/quote]

Personally, I would have chose "team attack", but that's just me :)>

I'm sorry that I came off so arrogant, though. I highly doubt I could write as well as you, and if it came off that way, I didn't mean it to.

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. I really enjoy writing, and I'm thinking of getting a major in journalism and a minor in political science, then possibly moving on to law school. Even if I don't end up in law school, it would be awesome to be writing politcal articles or video game reviews.

I guess I should start writing here if I think I'm that great, though :p. Again, thanks for the info.

[quote name='xghostsniperx']Personally, I would have chose "team attack", but that's just me :)>

I'm sorry that I came off so arrogant, though. I highly doubt I could write as well as you, and if it came off that way, I didn't mean it to.

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. I really enjoy writing, and I'm thinking of getting a major in journalism and a minor in political science, then possibly moving on to law school. Even if I don't end up in law school, it would be awesome to be writing politcal articles or video game reviews.

I guess I should start writing here if I think I'm that great, though :p. Again, thanks for the info.[/QUOTE]

You didn't come off arrogant at all, bro. No worries. You think you're a good writer -- nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying you have the means to flex those literary muscles right here. Go for it!

Man I'm spent I just wrote 8 stories in 6 days. I took a short trip to Keesler AFB in Miss to write some year after Katrina stories and even ended up writing about a surprise visit by Bush on Monday. I literally wrote the bush one in five minutes. I'd post some links but I don't want to hijack this puppy

[quote name='jlarlee']Man I'm spent I just wrote 8 stories in 6 days. I took a short trip to Keesler AFB in Miss to write some year after Katrina stories and even ended up writing about a surprise visit by Bush on Monday. I literally wrote the bush one in five minutes. I'd post some links but I don't want to hijack this puppy[/QUOTE]

What's your word count, usually?

[quote name='ViolentLee']What's your word count, usually?[/QUOTE]
You know i usually don't go by word count. Usually a story is about 2 and a half pages at 12 point times new roman font double spaced. My bush story was like one and a quarter because of having to get it out so quick. I have gone up to 6 pages on in depth features

edit It seems to range from 400-1500. I'm lucky in that I'm not required to write to a certain length. My editor just wants me to fully tell the story and be done. I also have a tendency to be able to write extremly short and get everything I need included in the story. My first editor joked that I needed to be writing for Cliff's notes

Lemme throw this game pitch at you, someone reviews games for a entire living.

Moonshiner

There is no HUD, life bar, extra health packs, bullshit tutorials, just you, your 'still, your car, your colt .45, and your debt to Sheriff C.D. Sponcil due two mondays from now. Want to rob every store in Lucky Stop two towns over and run the risk of getting shot at by the local Cherry Tops every time they see your smilin' mug? Wanna run the risk of making a deal for a bunch of money with a damn yankee you don't (and shouldn't) trust, likely leading to a ripoff and shootout later? Or you could just wait 'til the lawman gets back, and put two in his back when he turns around to count the counterfeit money you just made at the kinko's in Capital City, afterwards going south in your car with the windows rolled down, and the spanish-in-a-day tape blasting out the speakers?

Well, wadda you think?

[quote name='T234']Lemme throw this game pitch at you, someone reviews games for a entire living.

Moonshiner

There is no HUD, life bar, extra health packs, bullshit tutorials, just you, your 'still, your car, your colt .45, and your debt to Sheriff C.D. Sponcil due two mondays from now. Want to rob every store in Lucky Stop two towns over and run the risk of getting shot at by the local Cherry Tops every time they see your smilin' mug? Wanna run the risk of making a deal for a bunch of money with a damn yankee you don't (and shouldn't) trust, likely leading to a ripoff and shootout later? Or you could just wait 'til the lawman gets back, and put two in his back when he turns around to count the counterfeit money you just made at the kinko's in Capital City, afterwards going south in your car with the windows rolled down, and the spanish-in-a-day tape blasting out the speakers?

Well, wadda you think?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like it'd be a good text-based game -- like Zork. Or better yet, just a short story. Might be hard to develop on anything current-gen. It's a pretty rednecky story, but I don't know a lot of rednecks who wouldn't need a tutorial or HUD. The game is simple, but each element would either require a lot of development, or take place primarily in cutscenes.

It's a simple game of choices, but each choice would need its own mechanics designed -- driving, holding up a store, etc. -- in an actual modern-day video game, which may not prove worth it for something that sounds so short. So again, it would make a great story or text-based game.

Updated with a good chunk of my reviews for the month. Still waiting on some b-ball reviews to go up (or to get the games in so I can review 'em), and of course some X-Play stuff is lagging behind. Really looking forward to having my Tenchu: Dark Secret review up...

New update with 7.5 new reviews:
Tony Hawk Downhill DS
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 360
Splinter Cell: Double Agent PS2/Xbox (hence the .5)
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2 DS
Justice League Heroes
Killzone: Liberation
Dynasty Warriors Vol. 2 PSP

I concur on your Rayman rating. That was the only other launch game I picked up besides Zelda and me and the kids had a blast with it. Who knew my son would be such an FPS fan (this is the first of that type of game he's played)? I had to do all the other minigames, but he did all the shooting segments :rofl:. Didn't mind at all having to play single-player to unlock the multi - the single-player games is pretty easy and short, even I was able to get 100% without too much trouble ;).

Disagree a bit on FF III - I am playing now (near the end) and I absolutely love it. I'd give it a 4.5/5 at a minimum - by far the best DS RPG. I've never played any FF games before, by the way, though I have played plenty of PC RPG's, and DQ 8, Tales of Legendia, Radiata Stories, and a few other PS2 RPGs.

Yeah, the Wi-Fi is lame but at least you get some cool bonuses for doing it. You can't really slam it, though, as it could easily have been made without Wi-Fi capabilities entirely and no one would complain. And I agree on the wandering around not knowing what to do next part. This is not a problem if you play continuously. The problem is that when you stop for the day it is pretty easy to forget what's next, and there's no journal or character conversations (as in Legendia) to remind you. That is definitely an aspect carried over from it's "vintage". I do agree with you on the monster models - VERY nice for a DS game. At the very beginning I was disappointed with the graphics (mostly the environment and main chars) but when I got to later monsters (and areas) I thought they were great.

As for the Sonic game on the 360 - I had NO idea it was that bad. Wow... I hope the Wii Sonic game is good though - we need some good non-Nintendo titles early next year. All previews seemed to point to that one being better than the "next-gen" Sonic.

Thanks for your comments, io. Nice to have you read my stuff.
[quote name='io']Yeah, the Wi-Fi is lame but at least you get some cool bonuses for doing it. You can't really slam it, though, as it could easily have been made without Wi-Fi capabilities entirely and no one would complain. [/QUOTE]
I believe that slapping the Wi-Fi label on a game makes prospective buyers think there's a good amount of online functionality -- a la Tetris DS, Mario Kart, etc. When they buy it and find little more than a trading post, they're liable to be a little miffed. But I guess a little something is better than absolutely nothing -- so long as there's no mistaking what people will be getting.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Thanks for your comments, io. Nice to have you read my stuff.

I believe that slapping the Wi-Fi label on a game makes prospective buyers think there's a good amount of online functionality -- a la Tetris DS, Mario Kart, etc. When they buy it and find little more than a trading post, they're liable to be a little miffed. But I guess a little something is better than absolutely nothing -- so long as there's no mistaking what people will be getting.[/QUOTE]

Ah, see your point there. I wouldn't even call it a trading post - it is just a dumbed down text message service (with a horrible typing interface) that unlocks a few things. They probably ought to have just left it off entirely then. Though I have taken advantage of it and am using the class unlocked via the WiFi and have gotten a few of the exclusive weapons. - they are interesting, but none of them are all that special (or powerful). It does add a bit more depth to the game though.

In you're Sonic 360 review, you said that in the climax, the Sonic game goes where no sonic game has gone before. Man, what happens? I have no interest in playing the game so please spoil it (through PM if you want).

[quote name='basketkase543']In you're Sonic 360 review, you said that in the climax, the Sonic game goes where no sonic game has gone before. Man, what happens? I have no interest in playing the game so please spoil it (through PM if you want).[/QUOTE]

I want to know too!

Sorry to burst your bubbles, guys, but I didn't write that. That's editing for you, I guess. Games Radar takes a pretty hands-on approach with submissions, and one of their guys must've added that in. I haven't personally beaten the game, so I'm not the guy to ask about the ending.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Sorry to burst your bubbles, guys, but I didn't write that. That's editing for you, I guess. Games Radar takes a pretty hands-on approach with submissions, and one of their guys must've added that in. I haven't personally beaten the game, so I'm not the guy to ask about the ending.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't that piss you off though, they are adding in things you didn't even write?

It kind of goes with the territory, Roufuss. As long as I get paid for it, it doesn't bug me much. But yeah, it can be a little annoying.

By the way, I'm with you on paring down your collection. I'm at about 1200 games right now, and really need to get over my hoarding mentality. Just because something's good doesn't mean I absolutely have to keep it. My problem is I tend to be cyclical, in that I get rid of games FOR other games -- a la trading. I guess in that way it makes me feel better if I get rid of something I got for free from a company.

[quote name='ViolentLee']It kind of goes with the territory, Roufuss. As long as I get paid for it, it doesn't bug me much. But yeah, it can be a little annoying.

By the way, I'm with you on paring down your collection. I'm at about 1200 games right now, and really need to get over my hoarding mentality. Just because something's good doesn't mean I absolutely have to keep it. My problem is I tend to be cyclical, in that I get rid of games FOR other games -- a la trading. I guess in that way it makes me feel better if I get rid of something I got for free from a company.[/QUOTE]

Haha, you'll come to the dark side eventually ;)

I keep stuff that is REALLY good, stuff that defines me as a gamer, but everything else is outta here.

I'm actually down to 560 games or so I think.

I too am disappointed that even you don't know this crazy direction Sonic is taking =/

bread's done
Back