Visiontek 4850 $149.99 BB B&M, better then 9800GTX

seththefallen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I searched but didn't see a thread on this anywhere. BB has a promotion giving 25% off all Visiontek graphics cards. The brand new Visiontek 4850 just hit stores, meaning you can have the latest ati card, which out performs the 8800gt and in many cases the 9800GTX for $149.99.

Link showing performance in COD4, notice it outperforms both the 8800gt and the 9800gtx...

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3338&p=7

In case the thread title didn't make it clear, this is in store only. BB doesn't have the card on the website yet.

SKU is (I believe) 8894057.

If you have a 10% coupon (mover's coupon available at your local post office) you could try and apply netting you $149.99-14.99= $135. YMMV

Credit to Xtreme Forums.

nVidia have always been dominating the graphics card market. If ATI can beat nVidia performance per dollar then I might give it a try.

Nvidia cards just seem to have fewer compatibility issues. I've used both in the last few years and ATI cards just seem to have more issues with some games.

That's the best you're going to get for that price. Although in the next month, the GTX will be dropping in price to the same $199, and the GTX+ will be released for $229. For those that are wondering about performance, this card nets only a few fps more than the GTX in most games. Expect the GTX+ to outperform this card some when it releases in a couple of weeks.

However, the best thing about this particular series of cards is the ability to output 8 channel LPCM audio over hdmi. This is great for those who are interested in using it in HTPC's.

[quote name='rokkon']That's the best you're going to get for that price. Although in the next month, the GTX will be dropping in price to the same $199, and the GTX+ will be released for $229. For those that are wondering about performance, this card nets only a few fps more than the GTX in most games. Expect the GTX+ to outperform this card some when it releases in a couple of weeks.

However, the best thing about this particular series of cards is the ability to output 8 channel LPCM audio over hdmi. This is great for those who are interested in using it in HTPC's.[/quote]

Ftw

[quote name='rokkon']That's the best you're going to get for that price. Although in the next month, the GTX will be dropping in price to the same $199, and the GTX+ will be released for $229. For those that are wondering about performance, this card nets only a few fps more than the GTX in most games. Expect the GTX+ to outperform this card some when it releases in a couple of weeks.

However, the best thing about this particular series of cards is the ability to output 8 channel LPCM audio over hdmi. This is great for those who are interested in using it in HTPC's.[/quote]

IT's hard to call a card's performance over a GTX only when the GTX is expensive. You make a good point that the GTX+ will come out cheap for 229$. But the great thing about this post is the bang for your buck deal. I guess you can say that any video card that performs barelyl like the 8800 GT is JUST a GTX. People should judge products based on bang for your buck(performance per dollar), not by brand loyalty.

I'm surprised at the Nvidia fan loyalty. I'm currently using an Nvidia 7600gt but I know that a 4850 is gonna blow the pants off of it, and I appreciate the HDMI audio/video out. I'm in it for the deal not the brand.

this is a fucking amazing deal, going to probably go later to see if they have it.

I'm an nvidia fanboy too but have used ATI in the past. Driver support for my cards steered me towards Nvidia instead...but with this performance for only $150? I'm currently using a 8600GT, and it's not too bad but that thing blows it out of the water.

Awesome deal. The fact that I'll be charged tax makes my cheap ass wish BB was running one of their 10% or 12% off with coupon promotions right now though.

AMD has made all the right moves for ATI ever since they aquired them. Now if they can just pull their CPU business out of the ground, they might not go under. :)

I wonder if this thing can run silently.

Best thing about my 8800gt is that I ripped the oem fan off and slapped an accellero s1

Silent, but runs cooler. Can't beat that.

If the 4850 can do that, then I'm on my way to BB =)

[quote name='nikkai']I wonder if this thing can run silently.

Best thing about my 8800gt is that I ripped the oem fan off and slapped an accellero s1

Silent, but runs cooler. Can't beat that.

If the 4850 can do that, then I'm on my way to BB =)[/QUOTE]
From all of the coverage I've read with the OEM cooler, it runs quiet, but hot.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']
SDF-1.jpg
[/quote]

I can't tell you how wrong this is.

What's the minimum PSU that this can run under.
And i don't necessary mean the safeguard number they put on the box.
I don't do PC gaming much but my 7600gt is getting pretty old.
Problem is i'm too lazy and cheap to upgrade my 430w.

Does anyone have any scans of the 10% off coupon by any chance? This seems like a really good deal, the 10% is just some more icing on the cake.

[quote name='supraazn']What's the minimum PSU that this can run under.
And i don't necessary mean the safeguard number they put on the box.
I don't do PC gaming much but my 7600gt is getting pretty old.
Problem is i'm too lazy and cheap to upgrade my 430w.[/quote]

Yeah, I'd like to know this also. My x800 and 400w PSU both need an upgrade but will my PSU hold up with this video card?

Antec EarthWatts 500 will be more than enough for the 4850. People overestimate PSU requirements any way.

Plus, these things are always on sale. You could probably find them for $50 during a sale.

[quote name='shibbyshoo']Does anyone have any scans of the 10% off coupon by any chance? This seems like a really good deal, the 10% is just some more icing on the cake.[/QUOTE]

The 10 % off coupon is off the original price ($199).
This card rings up at $199 and most people at Slickdeals have had to have a manager overide the price to get 25% off, you could try to ask for an additional 10% if you had the coupon but that would be pusshing it.

[quote name='seththefallen']LOL yeah Ati does right now. At $150 the 4850 outperforms Nvidias $229 part the 9800GTX. Read the post.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='JolietJake']Nvidia cards just seem to have fewer compatibility issues. I've used both in the last few years and ATI cards just seem to have more issues with some games.[/QUOTE]

$150 seems like a really good deal for this card, but as others have said, it's not completely better than the 9800GTX. Loses in some games, wins in others, and overall seems just slightly better. The 9800GTX+ comes out soon for close to the same price (but not with this $50 discount).

Also as others have said, ATi's cards tend to have more compatibility problems. In particular I've had trouble getting some older games to run fine on my ATi hardware that runs just fine on Nvidia's.

Another thing-remember that all this new hardware from Nvidia and ATi will run Folding @ Home! Particularly if you're on a desktop you should be running it unless the computer is hardly ever on maybe. If you've got a dual or quad core you can run the SMP client on it, and then a client for modern graphics hardware at the same time :)

Crap, I just got shot down at my closest Best Buy in Austin, TX (off Cap of T). Manager said since the card technically had a release date of tomorrow they did not need to honor the coupon...although it was already on the shelves. Uggg...
Anyway, going to try another Best Buy but you guys best bewares. I was on the phone with my brother at the same time in Mcallen, TX and he picked up 3 of em, no probs.

[quote name='Wolfpup']$150 seems like a really good deal for this card, but as others have said, it's not completely better than the 9800GTX. Loses in some games, wins in others, and overall seems just slightly better. The 9800GTX+ comes out soon for close to the same price (but not with this $50 discount).

Also as others have said, ATi's cards tend to have more compatibility problems. In particular I've had trouble getting some older games to run fine on my ATi hardware that runs just fine on Nvidia's.

Another thing-remember that all this new hardware from Nvidia and ATi will run Folding @ Home! Particularly if you're on a desktop you should be running it unless the computer is hardly ever on maybe. If you've got a dual or quad core you can run the SMP client on it, and then a client for modern graphics hardware at the same time :)[/quote]

at $150, I'm willing to take the risk that there will be some issues with the card. at $200, the GTX card $50 more makes the ATI card a GREAT DEAL , even if the ATI card was slightly slower in fps against the GTX. It is more so that the GTX+ is not a great deal for $229 (about $80 more when you consider this deal). Remember, the companies are pricing these cards based on bang for your buck. So I find it weird that $150 is still debatable (choosing between the ATI card and the Nvidia 9800 GTX+). If you can slap on a link here showing a GTX $50 cheaper than its $229 price, then you can make a debate about which card to choose.

[quote name='solisnk']I didn't get to go there, but hopefully the 25% off thing is still going on till next week.[/QUOTE]

Nope, Visiontek sale ends today... it was most likely a way to flush out the older cards, but ATI started selling this card about a week early due to retailers getting tons of supply (and street date being broken)... so it kind of backfired, I'm sure they want to kill this deal as fast as they can. (And I've read quite a few reports of stock being taken off the shelves and managers refusing to sell until tomorrow)

I got it yesterday. The card wasn't on the shelf, but the guy got it for me and overrode the 199.00 price.

BB in Altamonte Springs, FL, had a shelf tag w/ discounted price (no cards on shelf), but they refused to sell it before its street date. PC sales guy was really cool and tried to help me out, especially since the shelf tag was already on the floor, but management wouldn't budge.

BB on E. Colonial had them on the floor, but w/ $199.99 shelf tag. It rang up w/o discount, but I luckily got it overridden along with an override for my 10% off coupon. If I were still a PC gamer, I'd try to get another one for CrossFire, but I do 95% of my gaming on hassle-free consoles. (Or at school where we have redonkulous laptops w/ 24" 1920x1200 monitors.)

I'm trying to decide if it's worth keeping the cheap 3870 OC I bought from there a couple weeks ago for a secondary PC, but any need for my media center PC has been made moot by the media capabilities of my 360 and PS3. It'd be nice to have a GPU that can handle HD video, but, again, my 360 and PS3 already do that.

[quote name='OMGpenguin']8800gt cooler is noisy as hell, and it runs hot. I think I'm gonna get a S1 today.[/QUOTE]

You won't regret it at all.

Plus if you want extra cooling (quiet quiet quiet) and oc'ing ability, slap a yate loon 120mm fan on it - you'll barely hear it.

Thanks OP! - in for one today @ $135 using the 10% off movers coupon.

When I first asked about the card (none were on the shelf), the PC guy said they weren't supposed to sell them 'til Sunday so he had them in the back. Figured I was going to be shot down but I pointed out the shelf tag that was already on display showing the $199 retail/$149 sale price and he said "You should thank whoever printed that out - I know corporate didn't intend for something this new to be $50 off already." - then he pulled one from the back and got a manager to do a double override.

He was really shocked about the deal and while he was ringing me up, talked about getting one or two for himself at that price - I gave him a couple more 10% coupons since he was cool about the whole thing.

Really glad I hadn't opened the 8800GT bought last week from BB for the same price.

Thanks OP! This is an outstanding card for $150.

My 3+ years old PC now runs Bioshock at high settings (quite nice that the game was $20 at Best Buy, since I was looking for something that would push the new card).

Had been planning on getting an entirely new machine at some point, but now I'll wait. Looking forward to digging into my PC backlog (FEAR, Prey, finish HL2 Ep2, finish Doom 3) in style. :)

Card doesn't seem to be too loud - about the same as the 7900GS that I had in my machine prior to this.

I'd consider it if it wasn't so obvious that within 3-5 months, you'll be able to get the card for even less than this. And my 8800gt is just fine right now, so I don't see a reason to spend anything on a new card right now.

It's a nice price to be sure, but I'm just too cynical about video card prices upon release. They drop, and they usually drop fast.

But if anything I appreciate that AMD is actually pricing video cards at realistic price points rather than nvidia who just tries to choke every last dollar out of their newest releases.

[quote name='averageguy']Will this work better then the 3870 overclocked edition that i picked up at Best buy for 129.00 2 weeks ago?[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing since I'm in the same situation. If you look at the benchmarks several sites have run, the "midrange" 4850 is usually 30%-100% faster than a non-overclocked "top of the line" 3870. The new GPU has 800 (vs. 320) stream processors and is generally more efficient despite it having lower core/memory clock speeds than its predecessor. I doubt even the OC'd 3870 would be able to match up.

Obviously it's too late now to get in on the deal, but yesterday I gladly decided to spend a little more money for this new generation card. Fortunately I haven't opened my 3870, but you can still return an opened video card without any restocking fees within the normal 30-day return period. I'm curious as to what's on the Ruby ROM advertised on the 3870 box, though.

[quote name='mva5580']I'd consider it if it wasn't so obvious that within 3-5 months, you'll be able to get the card for even less than this. And my 8800gt is just fine right now, so I don't see a reason to spend anything on a new card right now.

It's a nice price to be sure, but I'm just too cynical about video card prices upon release. They drop, and they usually drop fast.

But if anything I appreciate that AMD is actually pricing video cards at realistic price points rather than nvidia who just tries to choke every last dollar out of their newest releases.[/quote]I can't agree more with you, except I have a 7900 GTO and I can still play games at medium-high which is good enough for me.

This deal is dead btw for those still wondering. OP and/or title should be edited.

[quote name='mva5580']I'd consider it if it wasn't so obvious that within 3-5 months, you'll be able to get the card for even less than this. And my 8800gt is just fine right now, so I don't see a reason to spend anything on a new card right now.

But if anything I appreciate that AMD is actually pricing video cards at realistic price points rather than nvidia who just tries to choke every last dollar out of their newest releases.[/quote]

i was going to bestbuy yesterday at 8:15pm but turned around and decided i didnt really need this right now
i just built a machine with a 8800gt about a month ago and im pretty happy with it... ill probably pick up a new card during my x mas break:bouncy:

bread's done
Back