Vita Memory Cards finally available for preorder (Amazon)

Minions

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I know this is not exactly a deal, as they are being sold for MSRP....

However I know quite a few people have been waiting for amazon to finally list these cards.

4GB
http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-V..._1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1325887029&sr=1-1

8GB
http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-V...9?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1325887102&sr=1-29

16GB
http://www.amazon.com/16GB-PlayStat...7?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1325887067&sr=1-17

32GB (Became available around 1pm PST)
http://www.amazon.com/32GB-PlayStat...0?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1325887086&sr=1-20

Don't shoot the messenger please. I know this section is for "deals" but I did not see another section that would bring attention to these cards. The 32GB was in huge demand in Japan and sold out the first day. I expect there will be shortages of these in the US, and delays for people who do not order the 32GB early. (aka on the long list at gamestop/newegg)

Hope this helps other people get their preorders locked in.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bojay1997']That's exactly what people said about the 3DS. This isn't 2005 anymore. The economy in the US and Europe is in the tank and people have other cheaper options for handheld gaming including smartphones. Yes, the Vita will likely have some great features and experiences you can't get in a smartphone or iPad, but most people are not going to drop $250 plus $20 for a memory card plus $50 for Uncharted or a total of $320 before tax six weeks after Christmas. The price will fall or units will sit unsold, it's as simple as that. Again, there is no deal here. Nobody knows what the ratio of Wi-Fi vs. 3G units is going to be in the US nor what memory card availability will be like. Sony has six weeks, they will likely work out supply issues. This is MSRP and none of this stuff is sold out, so the thread needs to be moved or locked.[/QUOTE]

Cheaper alternatives are not really that much cheaper. The direct alternative (other than the 3DS) people would compare to the ipod touch. Phones end up costing ($1000+) after monthly fees. While it may seem "The same price", you are actually having the phone subsidized. The only difference is you pay up front with the Vita, vs over time with cell phones/tablets.

That is not to say there are not cheap tablets, but most of them seem to be pretty bad. Don't get me wrong I want to pick up a 3DS in the future. I'm just waiting for a few games I want. I almost decided not to get the vita, but I already had amazon credit tied up (which is a hassle to get refunded) and also have seen enough games to justify the purchase.

Honestly if I didn't think Sony was going to hold the price where it is, and ride it out like the PS3 I might have seriously considered canceling. However they have too much invested right now to drop the price, and the "Price Drop" on the 3DS is probably going to go back to $200~ when the new model is released/announced which is expected to come up mid-late this year.

[quote name='Minions']Cheaper alternatives are not really that much cheaper. The direct alternative (other than the 3DS) people would compare to the ipod touch. Phones end up costing ($1000+) after monthly fees. While it may seem "The same price", you are actually having the phone subsidized. The only difference is you pay up front with the Vita, vs over time with cell phones/tablets.[/QUOTE]

I'll start with this, I am not a smartphone kinda person, I have cheap flip phone that makes calls and that is it and rarely at that. I also love portable consoles and would never play a cell phone game.

That said, you can't look at it as a person is either buying a phone or a vita to play their games on. Chances are, they have the phone already or will justify the phone first because it has many more uses. The vita will play games and twitter, the phone is much more powerful and to a lot of people is a justified purchase. It is a case of "Should I buy the vita and a game for $320 or, use my phone that I already own and buy a game for it.".

[quote name='iwannadie']I'll start with this, I am not a smartphone kinda person, I have cheap flip phone that makes calls and that is it and rarely at that. I also love portable consoles and would never play a cell phone game.

That said, you can't look at it as a person is either buying a phone or a vita to play their games on. Chances are, they have the phone already or will justify the phone first because it has many more uses. The vita will play games and twitter, the phone is much more powerful and to a lot of people is a justified purchase. It is a case of "Should I buy the vita and a game for $320 or, use my phone that I already own and buy a game for it.".[/QUOTE]

I don't know of many smartphones that are running quad-core CPUs AND GPUs...and this argument will ALWAYS come back to the fact that a dedicated gaming handheld has physical controls. A smartphone does not.

[quote name='iwannadie']I'll start with this, I am not a smartphone kinda person, I have cheap flip phone that makes calls and that is it and rarely at that. I also love portable consoles and would never play a cell phone game.

That said, you can't look at it as a person is either buying a phone or a vita to play their games on. Chances are, they have the phone already or will justify the phone first because it has many more uses. The vita will play games and twitter, the phone is much more powerful and to a lot of people is a justified purchase. It is a case of "Should I buy the vita and a game for $320 or, use my phone that I already own and buy a game for it.".[/QUOTE]

Exactly, but that is what people compare the Vita to. I always see articles that are like, You can get a smart phone for free, why pay money for a handheld game console!? However in reality those phones are not "free". Personally I can't stand playing games on my phone: Ex. Pac Man, Zenonia etc. because those games require timing and the lack of real buttons causes more frustration than they are work. Some games that don't require timing work fine as time wasters, but I in no way put those games in the same category as a actual game console/handheld. I have always been, and will always be partial to physical buttons.

The main reason I have not picked up a 3DS is I'm waiting for a model with the second joystick embedded. Since the addon is like $15, the new 3DS model will probably be $200. Once that model hits I'm going to pick that up too.

All that being said, I love my phone and take it everywhere with me. However I have more than enough time sitting around waiting to justify a vita purchase.

[quote name='Nohbdy']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q05H0Np10Ys[/QUOTE]

nothing wrong with smartphones for handheld gaming, some people dont want to spend $30-40 for what are basically dumbed down console games (most of the time, not all games) when you can just buy some cheap mobile games to pass the time on your smartphone which has many more features/uses than a dedicated handheld gaming device, and then go home and play your consoles. The only reason i even want a handheld is to play games like dissidia which isnt on ps3

[quote name='anathema728']god damn hidden costs, and no reason to buy anything other than the 32gb, most gb/$[/QUOTE]
I plan to eventually upgrade when prices are no so ridiculous. I'm buying an 8GB to keep myself content until a decent price point is announced for mass storage.

[quote name='bojay1997']That's exactly what people said about the 3DS. This isn't 2005 anymore. The economy in the US and Europe is in the tank and people have other cheaper options for handheld gaming including smartphones. Yes, the Vita will likely have some great features and experiences you can't get in a smartphone or iPad, but most people are not going to drop $250 plus $20 for a memory card plus $50 for Uncharted or a total of $320 before tax six weeks after Christmas. The price will fall or units will sit unsold, it's as simple as that. Again, there is no deal here. Nobody knows what the ratio of Wi-Fi vs. 3G units is going to be in the US nor what memory card availability will be like. Sony has six weeks, they will likely work out supply issues. This is MSRP and none of this stuff is sold out, so the thread needs to be moved or locked.[/QUOTE]

We live in a world where, despite the shaky economy, millions upon millions of people have monthly smartphone bills of $90+, don't hesitate to stand in line for hours to get the next iPhone, and spend $600-$800 for an iPad just to use the web browser for Facebook; in other words, it's time to quit using the faltering economy as a reason to down-play the future of a $250-$300 handheld device.

Those of you trying to paint a doom scenario for the Vita based on the pricing history of the 3DS, don't be foolish. Any CAG with their head not up their ass can see where the tech justifies the price of the device: everyone knows that the 3DS was grossly over-priced at launch, whereas the Vita is actually launching at a reasonable price based on the tech it offers. Ultimately, not even Nintendo was able to justify the original price of the 3DS; and, similarly, it's up to SONY to prove to consumers just how powerful the Vita is, thus justifying it's launch price.

The 3DS is worth owning solely for the Nintendo-developed software, and the Vita has a ton of potential--especially for gamers--that we should all be hoping gets properly utilized. In any event, I'm cheering both devices on, because I fear for a future in which touch-based smart phones are our only means of gaming on the go. Ugh. Every time I load up Super Mario 3D Land, I shudder at the thought of not having buttons and an analog stick...

Meh
After seeing so many revisions of consoles, handhelds included, and the ridiculous pricing on these memory cards on top of them being proprietary, I'm gonna pass until there's at least a half dozen "must play" games for me before considering buying a Vita, or any new system for that matter.

[quote name='Psybuster']Meh
After seeing so many revisions of consoles, handhelds included, and the ridiculous pricing on these memory cards on top of them being proprietary, I'm gonna pass until there's at least a half dozen "must play" games for me before considering buying a Vita, or any new system for that matter.[/QUOTE]

I don't find the price of the 4GB card ridiculous at $20 it's that you're forced to buy it because some games require it for saves. That's my problem. :booty:

Sony should have included some internal storage just for game saves and if you exceeded that then buy a memory card. The whole pricing structure is typical Sony.

I'm pretty set with tons of PSP and DS games so i'm in no rush. And I have accepted and prefer the Tablet ecosystem where you get a new free App from Amazon everyday or spend 99 cents and the 10 cent apps from Google was an awesome deal. All this plays against the Vita whether one admits it or not.

Still undecided on whether i want that First Edition bundle, otherwise, guess i'm getting an 8 Gig for now. I hate full retail download games, so i doubt i would be getting many outside of PSP games (Which i already have some from my PSP GO)

Get a feeling the price on the memory sticks will drop pretty quick, so i cant see myself getting anything above 16 gigs.

Meh I kind of wanted a vita, but the sd card prices kind of kill it. I'll pick one up in a year or two when they've been price dropped and clearanced along with any accessories.

Even at price gouging, $15/$25/$45/$80 is an awful deal, let alone significantly more then that. I'm probably going to end up buying the 8GB but now I wont be buying many downloadable games.

[quote name='Madrocsz']For anyone that pre-ordered the "early edition bundle" from amazon, look at your estimated arrival date, like 1 day before others come out[/QUOTE]
Mine says the 17th with prime.

Yeah, I can't wait to get the Vita on day one but these MS prices are too much. I'm just going to sell the 4GB that comes with the Starter Kit to someone in Gamestop at the launch for $15 than get a 8GB for $30. Either that or sell it on Amazon.

Totally want the vita, but there just isn't enough for me to justify the purchase(s) yet. I'm sure ill have one by the end of the year though.

I was kind of excited for the Vita, but this memory card bullshit is awful. The thing already costs almost as much as a PS3, why can't it come with decent built in memory?

Decided to cancel my preorder, price is just too high for me with the mandatory memory. The game prices are also too high in today's smartphone environment. Sony and Nintendo are pricing these games way too high. I can get 20-50 apps for the price of one uncharted. Obviously, I know they don't cost as much to make as Uncharted, but that hasn't stopped me from spending 5 hours playing Super Crate Box for .99. The value just isn't there for me at 30-50 bucks a game. I think 20 bucks should be the ceiling on prices if they really want to push units. Maybe they cannot profit at those price levels, but I suspect they wont be profiting with their current price model either when no one buys the vita, and even if they do if they only ending up buying 1 game.

The smartphone market has changed the game, there seems like there might be room for the 3DS to do OK(but not as well as the DS), but I think Sony might be the third wheel that is in deep trouble.

Wow, was slightly interested in the VIta before but another proprietary memory card is just more of sonys bs. I figue theyll have a Vita Micro SD card adapter by the time I feel i need to get one I guess.

it's great that sony has a new hand held - it is just to greedy that - you have to pay a premium on everything - the games, the cards, the downloads(probably)

the ps vita itself would have been nice to see around $200 - but, i don't think the price point is so bad with that - all the rest is to much

for myself - not intrested till things drop in price

[quote name='Woot1337']The thing already costs almost as much as a PS3, why can't it come with decent built in memory?[/QUOTE]
Because Sony is losing on the Vita so it's a shell game. They drop the price on the unit but make you buy stuff like the overpriced memory card that's mandatory. If Sony had thought ahead they could have put 1GB just for games saves. If you need more then buy a card. I'd be ok with that but still after a game, memory card, case and the Vita your easily into the $300 range and you can buy a real console for that price.

[quote name='lordopus99']Watch out early adopters, this will be a bumpy ride.[/QUOTE]

I was an early adopter with the 3DS... almost regretted it too. But there's more Vita games at launch that I want compared to the 3DS. I only bought SSFIV 3D at launch for the 3DS.

[quote name='caltab']Decided to cancel my preorder, price is just too high for me with the mandatory memory. The game prices are also too high in today's smartphone environment. Sony and Nintendo are pricing these games way too high. I can get 20-50 apps for the price of one uncharted. Obviously, I know they don't cost as much to make as Uncharted, but that hasn't stopped me from spending 5 hours playing Super Crate Box for .99. The value just isn't there for me at 30-50 bucks a game. I think 20 bucks should be the ceiling on prices if they really want to push units.[/QUOTE]Just use the same buying strategy for PS3/X360 games & apply it to the 3DS/Vita. I jump on a 30% sale price but for a $40 game there's gonna be deals galore that allow for 2 games @ $40 price point so that's when I'll buy. Right at launch you can fully expect a b1g1 50% off then just wait for the normal 30-45 price drop/sale price for $20-$25 on titles as they come.

TRU has their accessory deals 30%-50% off that will allow for a reasonable purchase price for the memory or do b1g1 50%. For me it comes down to games can Sony provide 15-20 titles that are must have(at a CAG price) in the 1st yr.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Yes, there is. They're not made for playing games. Their non-gaming features take priority over gaming.[/QUOTE]

ok yea sure. thats like saying i shouldnt watch movies on my PS3 because its a gaming console. lol

[quote name='media_wonder']ok yea sure. thats like saying i shouldnt watch movies on my PS3 because its a gaming console. lol[/QUOTE]

That is a really dumb comparison

Yeah, I heard the $250 price point and that was my price ceiling so I preorderd but when the memory card prices came out and it was clear the memory cards were mandatory I cancelled my preorder. $350 is too much for a portable console and well above what I was willing to pay for Vita.

I did get a chance to actually play with the Vita and it's a really cool system. It's not PS3 quality graphics like people are telling you though. The resolution on Uncharted was not great and there is no AA or AF so there were jaggies galore, especially on particle effects like the fire. It's made very apparent too by the great screen.

My prediction: $300 is usually the main barrier for console adoption and so I don't see it being any different with Vita. Sales will be sluggish until a price cut.

Vita is heading for fail.

Nintendo and Sony are still playing like the IPad/Smartphone world doesn't exist. It's a new world now, and they aren't living in it.

Single purpose device? Proprietary memory format? $50 a game? Forget it.

[quote name='Pucker']Vita is heading for fail.

Nintendo and Sony are still playing like the IPad/Smartphone world doesn't exist. It's a new world now, and they aren't living in it.

Single purpose device? Proprietary memory format? $50 a game? Forget it.[/QUOTE]
What are you taking about? 3ds is breaking records after records. It just beat the regular ds on sales in Japan.

[quote name='Pucker']Vita is heading for fail.

Single purpose device? Proprietary memory format? $50 a game? Forget it.[/QUOTE]
And nobody listened when the writing was on the wall that the PSP Go was a fail. I agree that Sony and Nintendo still think this is 2004-05 all over again, it's not. Smart phones and tablets have changed portable gaming.

[quote name='Davivascaino']What are you taking about? 3ds is breaking records after records. It just beat the regular ds on sales in Japan.[/QUOTE]

It's breaking it's own record only after a serious price drop because the device was overpriced from the outset. FINALLY Nintendo got it and realized this ain't 2004 and lowered the price. Then sales picked up.

While Nintendo is breaking it's records the iOS and Android app sales is shattering records and developers are making much more money without as much investment.

I thought this forum was about Video Game Deals, but I guess I was mistaken. These memory cards are a price-gauging ripoffs. Especially, because as of now the Japanese Vita can't even most games that are on a memory card unless you have a separate Vita memory card.

If the Vita came with 16-32Gb memory for the same $250 I wouldnt have a problem with it (aside from $50 for a game like Uncharted...that's a damn joke). As it is I'll wait for a $50 drop in a few months. This things going to sell like shit most likely. Although with many people getting tax refunds it could help sales some.

So they say Vita games off PSN will be discounted. Anyone have any idea if the discount would even be worth purchasing exclusively on psn? If its only like a $5 difference I would much rather buy the physical copy and get a much cheaper memory card for just saves and maybe music.

Can we just rename this thread "The Official Michael Pachter Pullin' Shit Out of my Ass Cause Everyone's an Analyst Thread" and be done with it?

I got a 3DS on launch day and never regretted it. Mainly due to the fact that it also made me get back into NDS games that i had never played (Like Pokemon Soul Silver/Black, and a few other RPG's).

As far as the Vita goes, theres too many good games on launch day to ever regret it. BlazBlue and UMvC3 alone were enough for me, Ninja Gaiden, Katamari, Uncharted, Shinobido, Modnation and a few others just make it a pretty epic launch for a handheld.

I saw this list of game sizes:

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 – 1350 MB
Uncharted Golden Abyss – 2777 MB
F1 – 1435 MB
Katamari – 744 MB
Little Deviants – 869 MB
Army Corps of Hell – 598 MB
Dynasty Warriors – 1485 MB
Dungeon Hunter – 1057 MB
Virtua Tennis – 1241 MB
Blaz Blue – 3180 MB
Disgaea 3 – 1699 MB
Hot Shots Golf – 1100 MB
Ridge Racer – 561 MB
Lord of Apocalypse – 1427 MB

The cost of memory with these file sizes make the vita that much more unattractive to me. IOS gaming has really made me like downloads, but not at this price. 30 bucks to store 4 or 5 games(or less) sucks. ( the 8 gb will probably only have like 6 gb of useable space). It seems like the 32 gb is pretty much the only way to go if you plan on buying all download versions. 350 for the system with adequate storage gets pretty pricey. They need a 64 gb version too w/ these file sizes.

[quote name='caltab']I saw this list of game sizes:

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 – 1350 MB
Uncharted Golden Abyss – 2777 MB
F1 – 1435 MB
Katamari – 744 MB
Little Deviants – 869 MB
Army Corps of Hell – 598 MB
Dynasty Warriors – 1485 MB
Dungeon Hunter – 1057 MB
Virtua Tennis – 1241 MB
Blaz Blue – 3180 MB
Disgaea 3 – 1699 MB
Hot Shots Golf – 1100 MB
Ridge Racer – 561 MB
Lord of Apocalypse – 1427 MB

The cost of memory with these file sizes make the vita that much more unattractive to me. IOS gaming has really made me like downloads, but not at this price.[/QUOTE]

Is that games saves or additional content? :bouncy:

People are going to be pissed if they have to buy shit loads of memory cards just to maintain a games library. I would be even more pissed if the game dumped data onto the memory card you needed to buy. :lol:

[quote name='Rodster']Is that games saves or additional content? :bouncy:

People are going to be pissed if they have to buy shit loads of memory cards just to maintain a games library. I would be even more pissed if the game dumped data onto the memory card you needed to buy. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Its to download the full version of the game. The game saves themselves would be minimal. This really is only a big problem if you plan on buying all your games of PSN. I really like downloadable versions more than physical media these days, but its really expensive with these memory prices.

[quote name='caltab']Decided to cancel my preorder, price is just too high for me with the mandatory memory. The game prices are also too high in today's smartphone environment. Sony and Nintendo are pricing these games way too high. I can get 20-50 apps for the price of one uncharted. Obviously, I know they don't cost as much to make as Uncharted, but that hasn't stopped me from spending 5 hours playing Super Crate Box for .99. The value just isn't there for me at 30-50 bucks a game. I think 20 bucks should be the ceiling on prices if they really want to push units. Maybe they cannot profit at those price levels, but I suspect they wont be profiting with their current price model either when no one buys the vita, and even if they do if they only ending up buying 1 game.

The smartphone market has changed the game, there seems like there might be room for the 3DS to do OK(but not as well as the DS), but I think Sony might be the third wheel that is in deep trouble.[/QUOTE]

Still haven't seen anyone with a 3DS here playing out in public even after Xmas, but every kid has either a smartphone, iPod touch or iPad in their hands. Its clear where the market is in my area, Apple is simply king of portable gaming right now and cannot be beaten. I see tons of kids walking around with Angry birds apparel on which is now more popular in the schools than Mario by far. I can't see 3D, so I will be waiting quite a long time before I get the 3DS since I can't take advantage of its main feature. I am willing to wait for the next model even if it takes 2-3 more years. The people that are playing DS are still playing the DSi or DS Lite. I seriously doubt many people in my area are going to be buying the Vita, only the truly hardcore gamers with lots of disposable income will be buying the Vita day 1 and that is a very limited audience over here.

Mario can probably sell enough 3DS units alone to make producing the system worthwhile, even if people only buy it for Mario and a few other Nintendo franchise games they are obviously still buying it. The price also isn't too bad right now and its under the magic $199 price point that is low enough for an impulse purchase even if people don't use it for their main system especially because the holiday bundles included the best games on the system. People in my area don't think Nintendo is cool so that is a problem with my area alone and that is why I don't see any 3DS systems out there. This holiday season only proved the selling power of the Mario franchise, and the 3DS doesn't even have a Pokemon game yet. If this holiday is any indication sales will explode when the first Pokemon game comes out.

The difference is that the smartphone is required for life, the Vita is not, and if people can play games on the smartphone then the majority will be satisfied with that especially since the games are cheap and they don't have to spend $250+ plus memory card and game on an extra device just to play them. The price is just too high right now for what you get out of it.

I have also gotten a ton of good iPhone apps for free via facebook promotions and just by setting up alerts on appshopper so I have spent very little on apps and games, as I have not spent more than $1.99 for an app, ever. Again that doesn't stop me from playing them for long periods of time either.. There are good games out there and some direct ports of console games, the games just keep getting better too.

I have a 4GB memory card for the regular PSP and I can only fit 2 PSP downloaded games (little big planet and mod nation racers are my games) on it but I can fit game saves on it in addition to those 2 games, so take that for what its worth. But this also leaves no room for music or movies which are 2 features of the PSP Vita will be totally ignored with these memory card prices. People are going to have enough trouble finding space for game downloads, especially if Vita games get DLC. I download A LOT so I like to have a big hard drive, plus I like to have all my games with me, I don't want to switch cards,the 320GB Xbox 360 hard drive is perfect for me, haha, should be enough space to last me a very long time. I don't think a 32GB memory card would be enough for me for the Vita, if you plan on downloading full games you will run into space issues very quickly for sure. This also doesn't take into account space for movies and music.

Ill stick with the 8gb for now. $100 is just way to much for a 32gb right now especially on top of the System and games i already have preordered.

Vita doesn't compete with the smartphone for me. Smartphone games are little more than distractions. All the talk comparing the smartphone to the Vita is silly. When you can actually play Uncharted, COD, Halo or Mass Effect on a smartphone then you can start making comparisons. As it is now it seems Vita should be able to offer an almost console level gaming experience.

[quote name='Layd Dly']Ill stick with the 8gb for now. $100 is just way to much for a 32gb right now especially on top of the System and games i already have preordered.[/QUOTE]
this. The wallet can only withstand so much.

Funny when Sony first announced the price at $250 everyone was calling it a good move and some people were expecting it be $300

bread's done
Back