170 (100%)
Update 3/13: Demo finally out now.

*Click on link above for direct link

_______
Reviews:

GamesRadar 8 out of 10

IGN.com 8.5 out of 10
TeamXbox.com 8.4 out of 10

1. Challenger - Successfully completed 5 Factory requests. (20 Points)
2. Master Challenger - Successfully completed 20 Factory requests. (20 Points)
3. Romancer - Become Master Romancer for 5 species. (20 Points)
4. Master Romancer - Become Master Romancer for 20 species. (20 Points)
5. Collector - Made 5 species resident. (20 Points)
6. Master Collector - Made 50 species resident. (20 Points)
7. Longevity - Played the game for 10 hours (real time). (20 Points)
8. Garden Value - Garden worth 25,000 chocolate coins. (20 Points)
9. Garden Value Master - Garden worth 100,000 chocolate coins. (20 Points)
10. Piñata Value - One Piñata worth 5,000 chocolate coins. (20 Points)
11. Piñata Value Master - One Piñata worth 10,000 chocolate coins. (20 Points)
12. Green Fingers - Grown 5 plants to maturity. (20 Points)
13. Master Green Fingers - Grown 25 plants to maturity. (20 Points)
14. Wealthy - Player has 25,000 chocolate coins. (20 Points)
15. Label Designer - Made a Custom Label. (20 Points)
16. Piñata Name Caller - Named a Piñata. (20 Points)
17. Helper Name Caller - Named a Helper. (20 Points)
18. Talent - Player has reached Level 10. (20 Points)
19. Master Talent - Player has reached Level 50. (20 Points)
20. Wealth Master - Player has 100,000 chocolate coins. (20 Points)
21-50. Secret Achievement
(20 Points)

http://www.achieve360points.com/game/vivapinata/

In addition to the “Viva Piñata” game, which will allow players to create their own environment where they can attract and host more than 60 species of wild piñatas and customize piñata-filled adventures in their unique-ever-growing world, the Special Edition “Viva Piñata” game, priced at $49.99 USD, will include:
  • A playable demo of LucasArts’ “LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy,” which combines the fun and endless customization of LEGO play and with a hilarious tongue-in-cheek take on the epic story, characters and action from the classic Star Wars: Episodes IV, V and VI films
  • A playable demo of the arcade classic “Frogger” that is enhanced and reinvigorated for the Xbox 360. The game features new artwork that matches and compliments the original style
  • A playable demo of “Cloning Clyde” for gamers to explore a visually compelling world filled with hilarious action and crazy adventure as they struggle to escape the clutches of the evil company Dupliclone, Inc.
  • A “Time Pilot” playable demo for gamers to fly a futuristic fighter jet with the capability to travel through time to destroy wave after wave of enemies
  • A return to AstroLab for a playable demo of “Marble Blast,” where players guide their marbles through a rich cartoon landscape of moving platforms and perilous obstacles.
Also included in the Special Edition “Viva Piñata” game will be a sneak peek at the wacky, zany, anything-can-happen animated TV series, produced by 4Kids Entertainment & Bardel Entertainment. With this full-length episode of the colorful animated series, Kids can experience Piñata Island for themselves, where multitudes of happy, colorful piñatas live the sweet life.

For further details, please visit www.xbox.com or www.vivapinata.com
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/11813/Viva-Piata-Special-Edition-Announced/

-----------------------------
According to the Loose Talk section in the latest issue of Game Informer, Rare’s next project is codenamed “Viva Piñata”, Microsoft's answer to Nintendo's Pokemon franchise, which has spawned more than $15 billion in worldwide retail sales and sold over 150 million units worldwide.

Loose Talk has learned that Rare's next Xbox 360 project is codenamed Viva Pinata (Ed. It is Piñata with a “ñ” (enye) and not an “n”). Although details on the game are scarce at this point, it will be released in conjunction with a cartoon show on television, and Microsoft has trademarked the licensing for everything from shampoos to trading cards.

We checked the United States Patent and Trademark Office web site and found out that Microsoft has indeed applied for the registration of the VIVA PIÑATA trademark so the rumor is definitely based on real facts.

Expect a full piñata break at E3.
Source: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/10235/Viva-Piata-Rares-Next-Xbox-360-Project/

Update 3/15: http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1298/Viva-Piata/p1/

3 pages long preview. Check it out.

Across all Ages

Yes, all of these cute things that make up Viva Piñata will surely appeal to kids. However, the gameplay should be appealing to all ages. There are comparisons to be made to titles such as Pokémon, Animal Crossing and The Sims. While you have some clear objectives to complete, the game potentially never ends as you strive to keep an equilibrium.

Gameplay

The “Viva Piñata” gameplay experience presents a customizable, social and spontaneous world in which gamers play an absolutely crucial role. It is not just a garden, it is an evolving paradise teeming with fantastic living piñata creatures and vibrant plant life, all determined by the player’s choices and actions. “Viva Piñata” boasts the following qualities:

Customizable “Viva Piñata” allows players’ imaginations to run wild by providing them with expansive freedom and choice:

Your garden Your choice of garden contents will determine which of the piñata species are attracted to your garden, since they all have individual requirements. Sowing grass, digging ponds, planting flowers and growing trees all affect which of the unique piñatas you will see. It’s not just about plants, either; there is a whole range of garden ornaments and structures that could be decisive. Your reward for creating an appealing paradise is to watch the piñatas visit and eventually reside there, which is where the fun really starts.

Your piñatas Once you have resident piñatas in your garden, you can begin to personalize your loyal community. Piñatas can be individually named and given their own personally designed tag to put on display as a declaration of their home turf. And the customization doesn’t end there. You can make the colorful critters more distinctive by customizing them with all kinds of costumes and accessories.

Social The “Viva Piñata” community is a rewarding place to be, whether you remain within the boundaries of your own garden or venture out into the real world or your friend’s garden via Xbox Live, the first and only global, unified online console games service.

Interact with the piñatas Getting to know and understand the personalities and requirements of your piñatas is essential if you want them to stay happy and thrive. Make your garden their ideal paradise, and they’ll want to raise a family and expand your community.
Interact with the garden characters Players decide how much help they want from the local guides, shopkeepers and garden work force Go it alone or get them involved — you choose.
Interact with other players online Via the Xbox Live online community, players can contact other gamers to lend a hand in their garden, lay down a competitive challenge or trade items.

Spontaneous “Viva Piñata” is much more than just a garden party. It’s a constantly changing world where anything can and does happen:

It’s happening outside It’s not just new piñata species that are drawn to the success of your garden; untamed sour piñatas with bad attitudes and troublemaking ruffians do their worst to spoil your creation and must be dealt with.

It’s happening inside Maintaining harmony within a growing community isn’t always easy when rivalries, illness, injuries and even candy-spilling fights occur. If players turn their backs, who knows what their piñatas will do?
UPDATE 2: http://www.vivapinata.com/vivapinatacom/announce/

It has a small 7 min video to get to know the characters, pretty entertaining, and a small clip of the game in between.

Update 4/5 Interview with Rare reveals more details:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/articles/features/strategy/sweet_dreams_viva_pinata_interview

Good article check it out.

I want to see where this is going. A Live based Pokemon style game by Rare could be very intriguing and it's going to be interesting to see if Microsoft can pull this off. I can't wait to hear more.

alrighty then, hopefully their next game will be something serious

Always wanted a game where I could collect Piñata's and love them and let them grow to be bigger stonger Piñata's and then when they make me mad smash their face into a door way and crawl inside it and eat it's candy goodness from the inside out. Piñatachu I choose YOU!

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Always wanted a game where I could collect Piñata's and love them and let them grow to be bigger stonger Piñata's and then when they make me mad smash their face into a door way and crawl inside it and eat it's candy goodness from the inside out. Piñatachu I choose YOU![/QUOTE]

Well, that just screams out for the Revo's controller then. I can just imagine blind-folding myself and swinging around the Revo controller.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Always wanted a game where I could collect Piñata's and love them and let them grow to be bigger stonger Piñata's and then when they make me mad smash their face into a door way and crawl inside it and eat it's candy goodness from the inside out. Piñatachu I choose YOU![/QUOTE]

you become Royal crown Pinatachu master to fulfill the primary main objective and destroy the evil power?

[quote name='shipwreck']Well, that just screams out for the Revo's controller then. I can just imagine blind-folding myself and swinging around the Revo controller.[/QUOTE]

Mark my words Some fool at Nintendo just read that and is adding it to Mario Party 12 for REV launch.

::Help Mario bash Pinatas... you have 1min GO!::

[quote name='dooddude']I want ... new Perfect Dark ... [/QUOTE]

Uh ... the one that came out two months ago not good enough for you?

Stop bashing what you dont know about. There's too many people out there complaining about too many sequels and when Rare comes up with a new title every bashes before its even revelaed to the public. This is a rumor. Details will emerge later, no one knows if it will be kiddie or if it will appeal to everyone yet. My advise chill out and wait for e3 announcements/coverage.

[quote name='trq']Uh ... the one that came out two months ago not good enough for you?[/QUOTE]
I want a sequel already, or at least have them put out the DLC already

[quote name='dooddude']I want a sequel already, or at least have them put out the DLC already[/QUOTE]

Rare said they're working on content. But they won't announce anything until Microsoft gives them a thumbs up.

Visit the scribes portion of Rare's site for info.

[quote name='Apossum']you become Royal crown Pinatachu master to fulfill the primary main objective and destroy the evil power?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I bought shoe. He is chimpoko-riffic!

This isn't totally surprising, as Rare has put many 'collectibles' in its' early 3d platformers, such as music notes and little midget-creatures.

[quote name='Jaket']i want motherfucking banjo and shit lol[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I don't give a damn about some anti-Pokemon shitgame. I want the revival or some good games: EX A fucking decent Donkey Kong game (Konga sucked ass. fuck those), Banjo-Kazooie, etc.

I don't give a damn about "Grabbed by the Ghoulies" or any of that bullshit.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Stop bashing what you dont know about. There's too many people out there complaining about too many sequels and when Rare comes up with a new title every bashes before its even revelaed to the public. This is a rumor. Details will emerge later, no one knows if it will be kiddie or if it will appeal to everyone yet. My advise chill out and wait for e3 announcements/coverage.[/QUOTE]

A Pokemon rip-off with shampoo and cartoon tie-ins? Yeah, sounds really original and innovative.

[quote name='evanft']A Pokemon rip-off with shampoo and cartoon tie-ins? Yeah, sounds really original and innovative.[/QUOTE]

Its not a sequel. We dont even know what it is yet so cant say its not original.

I don't think he said sequel, he said rip-off. I agree. You've got Pokemon, fuckin' YuGiOh and probably at least 2 more similar games. Whatever it is, if it's like that, it's not original. I don't care if you collecting Mexican midgets, it's still not an even remotely original idea. I'm all for original IP, but if that means Square starts making a Halo copy and Bungie starts dabelling in RPGs with characters with ridiculous hair and swords, I think I'd rather play another Madden game.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Its not a sequel. We dont even know what it is yet so cant say its not original.[/QUOTE]

yeah we do, it's a freaking marketing ploy, much less a game. cartoon and game meant to sell merchandise and if it gets popular enough, maybe there'll be a movie or two, when the popularity dies down, we'll get movies on dvd. bleh. this is just MS' stab at nintendo. they need to realize that they can't just attack another company and take their position, they need their own identity as a console (which so far is Halo and live.)

i'd rather see rare make a game that makes me want to own the 360.

I want a sequel to Goldeneye and Star Fox 64 on the 360 lolz.

In all seriousness, I'm interested to see how this turns out.

So this game is geared towards the >12 year old demographic...

Wait a tic, isn't the 360 geared towards hardcore gamers and NOT the kiddies? A new franchise like this may not have the ability to persuade parents into investing $300+ for one game.

Furthermore, what other games that the 360 offers would be suitable for children besides Kameo? I forsee a big drought of games in that front.

I am really interested in it after seeing the launch video from the website.

It's not completely kiddie oriented and has the semi-adult humor of a movie like Ice Age or a Pixar film. The characters are a little stereotyped but still better developed than most kids stuff.

Promising, really promising. While I don't think it would capture much of my playtime from Huxley or Gears of War this fall I still think I'd pick up any major MS/Rare franchise. I am a sucker for colorful games that feel 16 bit in pedigree. I may not play them much but I always buy them to take a look and encourage the creation of such titles. Now and again one just hits home and I fall in love with it; Psychonauts, Stranger's Wrath and Billy Hatcher are just a few off the beaten path gamers games I love.

I know this is being aimed squarely at the heart of the mainstream but I don't really care, the characters have appeal and the world looks like it has huge potential. Hey, anything that expands the gaming market and gets more people involved, like this could, is a great thing.

To me it's like a Nintendogs, non-gamers love it, I had no interest but it grew the audience of who purchased a DS here and in Japan. This one I'm interested in and think it has the same kind of potential.

Quit the foreplay and give us killer instinct (THE ORIGINAL ARCADE ONE) on XBLA

[quote name='seanr1221']I read somewhere that Microsoft was calling this there big game of 2006 :/

Guess we have to play the waiting game.[/QUOTE]

shut your mouth. Viva Pinata does not spell Halo 3

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']To me it's like a Nintendogs, non-gamers love it, I had no interest but it grew the audience of who purchased a DS here and in Japan. This one I'm interested in and think it has the same kind of potential.[/QUOTE]

The original DS costs $130, the 360 costs a minimum of $300. I don't think it makes sense to think that non-gamers would shell out that kind of scratch for just one game for an impulse buy.

Are there any other offerings down the pipeline for the 360 that would appeal to the non-gamer?

For those of you intersted in this game, I updated the OP with a link to an interview with some guy from the Rare team, pretty exciting stuff (for me anyway)

[quote name='shaunLEGEND']Is the special edition more expensive than the regular version? All those extras listed can be downloaded on marketplace![/QUOTE]

The box is special too. It comes in a beautiful multi colored Pinata type paper patched all over the case. The perfect gift for the 360 game collector in your house.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']The box is special too. It comes in a beautiful multi colored Pinata type paper patched all over the case. The perfect gift for the 360 game collector in your house.[/QUOTE]

it's hard for me to tell if you're joking or not, something tells me MS will do this...or at least a best buy/viva pinata faceplate of some sort

bread's done
Back