Wal-Mart beginning to Rent games - $1/night

JTHuffy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
Not sure if this should go in the deals section or game news, but I was at my Walmart today and noticed the trade-in machine had some new signage on it. Apparently it is now renting games for $1 a night a la redbox. It wasn't working very well, and didn't appear to have much of a selection, but it looks like it could be a nice addition. I took a couple pictures with my phone.

2586389850054015313ySVpFY_fs.jpg

2856593610054015313TLAfwe_fs.jpg

This is great! I use the RedBox's all the time, and now for someone to bring the $1 game rentals is FANTASTIC!

[quote name='seriousart']More info: You can find if there's one by you here: https://www.e-play.com/ Again, sadly, none by me, short of taking a 3 hour flight. And that would certainly cut into my dollar a day savings.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. :applause:

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Actually, you can, and people who understand far more about the economy than us have. The more money people save by shopping at Walmart, the money they have in their pocket. Eventually, some of that money makes way into other businesses, including small businesses.[/QUOTE]
Common knowledge is that people shop at Wal-Mart instead of the local mom and pop stores due to Wal-Mart having lower prices. And since the local mom and pop stores don't get any customers, they end up closing down.

err so what happens when you get a game and its scratched and wont play? I would have to see this happening a lot. Have never used one of these type of machines so don really know...

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Actually, you can, and people who understand far more about the economy than us have. The more money people save by shopping at Walmart, the money they have in their pocket. Eventually, some of that money makes way into other businesses, including small businesses.[/QUOTE]

Ummm... some of us who "understand far more about the economy than us" (I have a Bachelors in econ and a MBA... I know a bit) think Wally World (and Target, KMart, etc.) is a mixed bag at best for the economy and standards of living; sure, prices for some things are less, but the driving down of wages caused by the shuttering of small business and anti-union behavior of large retailers is one reason for a widening gap between the top 1-5% of income earners and everybody else, and Wal-Mart/Target/etc. employees and their families are often on Medicaid or go to emergency rooms for medical care, and all that puts a burden on taxpayers... do you see the CEO of Wal-Mart willing to cough up some $ for the externality expense?

Anyhoo, to get back on topic ;) $1 a day for a game rental sounds perfect, especially for those among us who have burned by Gamefly seeming to take its sweet time with the exchanges...

[quote name='Count']1$ a day to rent a game?
I don't know if it's just me, but I find that kind of expensive.[/QUOTE]

Don't normal rental places charge around $8 for 5 days? 1$ a day seems like a steal to me, especially with single player only games. Instead of buying just rent it until you beat it and save $55.

I'm gonna have to look around my Super Walmart and see if they have this.

[quote name='Dingleberry']Are you implying that you would rent a game from a machine like this for a full month? There are better options such as gamefly. They have a one game out at a time service and I think it costs $16.[/QUOTE]

Wrong, I wonder how people pose their opinions as fact :roll: Waiting 2-4 days to receive a game is not my ideal thing of something that is good.

Sure the pricing is good, but the "Lack" of having it when I want it is not good. If I can go to Walmart and rent a game for $1 a day that works perfect for me, rent on Friday return after the weekend.

Also I could care less about Mom & Pop stores, Walmart offers everything I need and great prices.

[quote name='seriousart']More info: You can find if there's one by you here: https://www.e-play.com/ Again, sadly, none by me, short of taking a 3 hour flight. And that would certainly cut into my dollar a day savings.[/QUOTE]

It says that they will be in Mass, I volunteer to be a test subject :).

Apparently I have a ton of these near me in Speedway's. None in Walmarts.

I have a ton of E-play machines around me. I've seen them, but assumed they only rented DVDs like the Redbox. Online when I search for a box, it shows the video game symbol which each box, so perhaps they rent games too. I may go out today and look at a box.

[quote name='DreamSymphony']What's going on in the bottom screen of that kiosk... looks like someone having sex....[/QUOTE]

Hee hee, did not notice, awesome :D

Every rental store near me no long has games or is closing. The only nearby Blockbuster is shutting down. I don't go to Walmart a lot but I'll check it out.

Using their Kiosk search I found that they are also in some best buys in Texas specifically around Dallas. I could see this as a great way to play short single player games. Right now I have such a backlog though that renting even at great prices isn't an option.

Wow, I hope that something like this comes here, there are a lot of games that are only good for a one-day play especially with the large amount of casual DS and Wii games out there. There currently is no good way to rent games around here, its cheaper just to buy used or find the lowest price then sell the games back on ebay when you are done with them, so you can keep them as long as you want. Since I have a DS/Wii only I would hope they would carry these games.

dang nothing within 50 miles... boo =b
yeah serious let me buy a kiosk/franchise for it haha, or sublet it out to stores

this thing would be gamer gold, and I'd love it to show up in my local supermarket(s) rather than wally world - heck in any plaza or mall, etc

edit - ok a whole bunch 150-250 miles from 14226 :( haha
but subject should probably be updated to various e-Play locations, e.g. also showing up were Speedway, Fisher Foods

Plenty of the kiosks near me...Every one of the 40 is in a Speedway, or a small grocery store. And from what I saw, none offer games, even though they claim that they do.

[quote name='life.exe']Don't normal rental places charge around $8 for 5 days? 1$ a day seems like a steal to me, especially with single player only games. Instead of buying just rent it until you beat it and save $55.

I'm gonna have to look around my Super Walmart and see if they have this.[/QUOTE]

Actually Blockbuster is a better deal. $8 for 5 days, BUT you get a 7 day grace period past the return date before they charge you for the game. So essentially you get the game for 12 days for $8 or .67 a day. Then again its only a deal if you keep the game for that long I guess.

Redbox is probably one of the biggest reasons digital download will be forced down our throats sooner than later. $1 rentals on new releases has to be killing the DVD/BR/Games sales market.

[quote name='Supes']Actually Blockbuster is a better deal. $8 for 5 days, BUT you get a 7 day grace period past the return date before they charge you for the game. So essentially you get the game for 12 days for $8 or .67 a day. Then again its only a deal if you keep the game for that long I guess.[/QUOTE]
If you just want a game for the weekend, and you know it will take that long to beat or to try it for an "extended demo", it is a great deal.

Does anyone know if this is just at Walmart Redboxes or all red boxes? The closest Walmart to me is 20 miles away, so it isn't worth it.

Hmm I would think it would be a lot harder to turn a profit on renting a video game for $1/night than a movie. It does fill that niche in the market of "games you're kind of interested in playing for a little while but not interested in shelling out big bucks for." I would rent games all the time if something like that was around here.

Well, it is.... unless you were on the fence about buying the game. Let's say you rent the game for $1 and decide it was crap, you don't get stuck with trading it into Gamestop for a huge loss. Same goes for the cost and time to trade it with a CAG.

Honestly this is great. To me this is like a $1 demo.

Now... I really hope M$ doesn't hear me say that and start charging for demos. (Yes, yes... I know they charge $50 a year to access demos).

[quote name='Chuplayer']Seriously. People just need to stop shopping at Walmart or else we'll all end up working there.[/QUOTE]

Shaddup.

It helps with a lot of the purchases that you would be sucked into because of overwhelming hype, or possibly just being an impulse buy. Now you can go try it out for a day or two, and decide whether you really want it, or if it was just all the hype that made you buy it (gta..halo..other crap i've wasted my money on).

[quote name='ddrlenz']Shaddup.[/QUOTE]

Dude how do you have GH: Van Halen achievements already when it releases on 12/22?

[quote name='gibbyva']Dude how do you have GH: Van Halen achievements already when it releases on 12/22?[/QUOTE]
He bought World Tour, so he received it early.

Yesss, now I can get more trophies :].

They shouldn't put new releases though as it would be hurting the video game market.

[quote name='Taren Fox']The game industry should be for this. It'll put a huge dent in piracy.[/QUOTE]

and profits. Oh i am for this mind you but when you have to rent a game for 2 months strait and hope no one breaks it in the mean time there will be many issues. They will likely raise the price to 2 or so dollars at some point soon as that is a more practical balance but for now if i can i WILL take advantage of it.

[quote name='markyshizzle']http://www.redbox.com/ads/GamesMarket.aspx?m=Reno

Redbox now rents VIDEO GAMES in the Reno area for just $2 per night! All games, all systems are just $2 per night. Check your local redbox kiosk for available titles.

Click here to view Video Game Titles

looks like its only eligible so far in NV and CA if that list is right[/QUOTE]

That's a really good selection!

Here in VA, my local Walmart took out it's Redbox machine.. here's to hopes that they're going to replace it with one that let's us rent video games!

Just curious, but how is it a good deal?
I rent games from BlockBuster for $8, and since they have no late fees, I keep it for 30 days or however long it takes me to enjoy/1,000 gs a videogame.

That'd cost $30 at Walmart.

Then again, taking advantage of no late fee's might be considered... d0uchee?

Coinstar’s Redbox unit

Coinstar runs Redbox? All I know them for is those change counting machines that typically take a percentage.

As for this being a GOOD thing, I don't know about that since thanks to CAG I've been able to find, buy and OWN games for $2-5 over the past two gaming gens.

So, while $1 a night might be a good deal for those who want to just try games out, I say to wait till they hit clearance and you can OWN them for what it'll cost for a rental.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Coinstar runs Redbox? All I know them for is those change counting machines that typically take a percentage.[/quote]
McDonald's used to own half of Redbox actually, before they sold their remaining shares to Coinstar, making them the sole owner.

Coinstar also operates things like coffee grinding kiosks, crane games, that sort of thing.

So, while $1 a night might be a good deal for those who want to just try games out, I say to wait till they hit clearance and you can OWN them for what it'll cost for a rental.
The thing there is that games dropping to $5 on clearance is most certainly the exception. Yeah, it happens to big-name games sometimes, but you can't exactly bet on it.

I'd rather rent Batman for a buck a night and beat it in 3 days, then wait months and months on the off-chance that it ever winds up being secretly clearanced to $5 somewhere.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']The thing there is that games dropping to $5 on clearance is most certainly the exception. Yeah, it happens to big-name games sometimes, but you can't exactly bet on it.

I'd rather rent Batman for a buck a night and beat it in 3 days, then wait months and months on the off-chance that it ever winds up being secretly clearanced to $5 somewhere.[/QUOTE]

True. But between sales, clearances and flipping games, I haven't paid retail in a couple of years now.:D

Hmm...reading the article someone linked to earlier, down further on the page it links to another article saying Best Buys are also testing these out. No Wal-marts or BB's doing it in my area yet (Ga.), but looks like there's a chance this will hit here as well if tests are favorable...:twisted:

I can see why you would think that. I see it as cheap as it gets me an opportunity to play a game for one day to decide if it is worth a purchase for me. I don't care for Gamefly because it is too expensive IMO. Renting at the locals is too expensive as well because, if I like the game, then I feel like I just wasted 7 bucks on something I could have just purchased. At least this way, I am only out a buck either way.

[quote name='filanime03']Wow that would be epic. Too bad theres no walmart here in SF[/QUOTE]

Because fudge packers don't shop at wally world,you silly goose.

bread's done
Back