Walmart B&M 50% bonus trade in with Madden 15 preorder, confirmed near $60 for MK8 and next gen Watch Dogs, ends July 19th (saturday)

ritchardf

CAGiversary!
Feedback
369 (100%)
Just saw this in the ad from the sunday paper. You have to pay $5 for the preorder, and you get $15 of MUT content probably when you pick up the game. It doesnt list any restrictions, just says not available in all stores. It does state video game must be in original packaging and customer must be 18 years of age or older.

Ive noticed their trade in values seem to be based off best buy, as they are usually a few cents more or less. This is in store only i assume.

to check values or find out if your store is participating (blue find your walmart square next to search)

http://walmart.cexchange.com/Online/Gaming/index.rails

link to ad (on page 23, middle left of 2 page layout)

http://weeklyad.walmart.com/Walmart/BrowseByPage?storeid=2494509&promotionviewmode=2&promotioncode=LA_Walmart-140713&listingid=0&sneakpeek=N&pagenumber=22

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, so Walmart really shouldn't do used video game trade ins.

I picked up a few copies at gamestop and didn't bother to remove the price stickers cause I was like "who cares?".

So when I brought it to trade in the employee wanted to argue that they can't take pre-owned games. LOL WTF??? Then they wanted to argue that I was getting more than what was on those stickers.

They eventually talked to the store manager and he okay'd it. So things went alright although the employee kept saying the pc was acting up and freezing. It did have a prompt where it told them you can only trade in 2 of the same kind of game.

It also did not let them continue if the total was more than $250.

I ended up with 5 games left over after that and when the employee started it again she signed off and back on saying that I was getting too much because of who was signed on.

Anyways then it didn't prompt for the madden bonus and she tried ringing the rest up.

I asked her if I could get the bonus if I get another card and she said she couldn't because I already got one.

So I ended up taking the other games back.

Oh and the paper gift card was split between two sheets so she reprinted it. I got suspicious so I ended up using all the credit I got.

Anyways lesson learned is walmart employees think they are smart so don't bother giving them much to think about. And remove price stickers.

^That's basically what I've been saying. It really isn't that hard but I guess some employees at some stores are afraid to follow the directions on the screen. Not surprising since it is Walmart. I've never had that issue though. I have when trying to put the credit onto a Visa gift card but that's b/c the system didn't allow it. It literally would not let any employee do it.

Anyways, instead of thinking it won't work, might as well try it yourself and simply explain to them what they need to do.
At some stores it isn't a matter of the cashier not knowing how. Some stores flat out won't do it because they say they aren't allowed to. I don't argue with them in that case.

Go to a CHECKOUT FRONT register which sells gift cards. Pick up a Walmart gift card, multiple if you prefer to spit your amount. I would round it to the nearest dollar to make the transaction less of a hassle. When the cashier swipe, activate the card and ask for payment, inform the cashier you'll be paying with an egift card. Pay the difference if required It works the same way in Target as well an many other retailer. Hopefully, this will clarify some of the confusion.
I did exactly this to a t with chosen gift card in hand. When I tried to pay with the e gift card the cashier said that is not allowed since there is a gift card being purchased. When I objected she called the store manager over and she backed up what the cashier said. Had nothing to do with employee not following directions on the paper. They just refused to do it.

That said I'm sure they were wrong and making that shit up but not worth arguing over

Yeah, so Walmart really shouldn't do used video game trade ins.

I picked up a few copies at gamestop and didn't bother to remove the price stickers cause I was like "who cares?".

So when I brought it to trade in the employee wanted to argue that they can't take pre-owned games. LOL WTF??? Then they wanted to argue that I was getting more than what was on those stickers.

They eventually talked to the store manager and he okay'd it. So things went alright although the employee kept saying the pc was acting up and freezing. It did have a prompt where it told them you can only trade in 2 of the same kind of game.

It also did not let them continue if the total was more than $250.

I ended up with 5 games left over after that and when the employee started it again she signed off and back on saying that I was getting too much because of who was signed on.

Anyways then it didn't prompt for the madden bonus and she tried ringing the rest up.

I asked her if I could get the bonus if I get another card and she said she couldn't because I already got one.

So I ended up taking the other games back.

Oh and the paper gift card was split between two sheets so she reprinted it. I got suspicious so I ended up using all the credit I got.

Anyways lesson learned is walmart employees think they are smart so don't bother giving them much to think about. And remove price stickers.
"Who cares?" "Walmart cares, apparently." :cool:

I said I would not sign anything because that was not the value I should have received. The lady snatched the game and said that signing the papers was just a formality for their records, and that the game was already theirs.
That's when you get a manager to come over.

If the manager backs up the bitchy employee, you call the police because they are stealing from you.

OMG...just spent 2+ hours over 2 different Wally Worlds trying to trade in 8 games.  What a horrible, horrible, wretched company.  I was going to just spend the credit on some lawn equipment I need, but I couldn't bring myself to give either of those stores a big sale like that.  I will probably try to just spend the credit on some loss leader Clearance stuff at WM to flip on Amazon, and purchase the weed eater I want from a better company.

with the hassles you guys are experiencing, im thinking of just avoiding this mess.

seems to complicated for them to process it smoothly

It depends Joggle

They have a book for training purposes and sadly it is a REALLY easy process. Why cashiers have issues with it I do not know, but they do.

The second time I brought in a ghosts and another Wii game from my daughter. I tried walking them through step by step and they HAD to read it out of their manual. After about 10 minutes of me telling them exactly what to do and what happens after they just started to listen to me. Took less then 5 minutes after that.

process went a little smoother today since I got the guy who's actually in electronics (vs. customer service) to do the trade in.  He almost required me to do the Madden preorder but since the cabinet was locked and he couldn't leave the register, I told him the photo person, who had the keys, was busy.  So he just finished it up by printing the ecard and I took it over to the service desk.

The CSR there wouldn't move the paper to hard GC (I have the hard card from yesterday's debacle) so we had to wait for a manager to ok it.  Fortunately, all she had to do is scan my card, put in the amount and scan the paper.  Turned out to be easy in the end, just reluctant employees to deal with.

LOL at all these WM trade stories. I do online with them or nothing at all as it's not worth the hassle for the 50% bump. My friend hit up WM in store a couple weeks back and he said 3 games traded in took about 35 minutes and 3 people to complete the process. Employees are generally stupid and untrained. I understand people need jobs but if you were half an employee you would have left long ago from the crap you deal with. If you are mad at that statement please reconsider your life and improve yourself.

process went a little smoother today since I got the guy who's actually in electronics (vs. customer service) to do the trade in. He almost required me to do the Madden preorder but since the cabinet was locked and he couldn't leave the register, I told him the photo person, who had the keys, was busy. So he just finished it up by printing the ecard and I took it over to the service desk.

The CSR there wouldn't move the paper to hard GC (I have the hard card from yesterday's debacle) so we had to wait for a manager to ok it. Fortunately, all she had to do is scan my card, put in the amount and scan the paper. Turned out to be easy in the end, just reluctant employees to deal with.
Which Walmart did you go to? I went to the Mountain View one, had to do 3 separate transactions due to the $250 cap, but it went smoothly other than that. Actually, their printer wasn't working so the guy at the electronics desk was able to scan each egift card page on screen and transfer them to physical gift cards.

For anyone having issues transferring the paper gift card to plastic, just go to the money services area and they can probably do it since they handle gift cards often. If they complain about it, just tell them you want to use it to get gas, and they should know you can only use cards at the walmart fuel pump.

LOL at all these WM trade stories. I do online with them or nothing at all as it's not worth the hassle for the 50% bump. My friend hit up WM in store a couple weeks back and he said 3 games traded in took about 35 minutes and 3 people to complete the process. Employees are generally stupid and untrained. I understand people need jobs but if you were half an employee you would have left long ago from the crap you deal with. If you are mad at that statement please reconsider your life and improve yourself.
It was totally worth it for my 120 gift card. :p

what stores in michigan are apart of the trade promo
You can check on the trade website but the three closest to me are Sterling Heights, Troy, and Shelby Twp but only Shelby Twp is actually setup/capable of doing them out of the three stores. So call first, especially if the store isn't right down the road.

You can check on the trade website but the three closest to me are Sterling Heights, Troy, and Shelby Twp but only Shelby Twp is actually setup/capable of doing them out of the three stores. So call first, especially if the store isn't right down the road.
And in other news, it's July 16th and Michigan still sucks! Go Bucks!

Seriously though does anyone know, was about to head up now.

There's a FAQ in the OP for a reason. I would answer this but it's clearly posted there.

Yeah I checked it before I posted and there isn't.

There's no excuse for laziness.
Ok Rozz, WTF are you smoking? There is absolutely no FAQ in the OP and there certainly isn't any indication of the hours that most stores take trades in.

Anyone know what the highest priced games are besides mario kart? I am going to gamestop in hopes of getting a couple games to flip.

Is buy two get one free at gamestop the best deal right now?

with the hassles you guys are experiencing, im thinking of just avoiding this mess.

seems to complicated for them to process it smoothly
yeah I traded 5 games this week but went to gamestop instead (they are running a 50% bonus), I woulda gotten more money at walmart but

1. the walmarts doing trade ins are pretty far from me, 20-25 miles. 20+ walmarts in my town, only 2 listed on the website

2. half the people in this thread are reporting long, long ass times and I'm sure that'll happen to me. life is too short to waste inside a walmart

3. there's nothing i want to buy at walmart, i used the gamestop credit to buy Nintendo eShop and Steam wallet codes

if it was bestbuy or target I woulda done it but walmart... meh

also this week a shooting happened outside a walmart in my town, never heard of any shootings outside gamestop

Took 30-40 minutes for me last night to trade in Mario Kart 8, bought $60 eshop and the $5 madden in one purchase just covered the difference with other credit I already had. Picked up Mario Kart 8 with credit, give me a free game to trade, and $5 in eshop credit. Win win for a game I was never going to trade back in and bought at Best Buy for less.

I've done 4 trade ins at 3 different Wal-Marts in the past few days.  The Walmart closest to me that does trade ins went smoothly twice.  The other two Walmarts I stopped were bad.  One had to do with a printer issue to which neither employee would listen to my suggestions to just restart the printer (eventually a manger did and it worked) and the other one had someone working in electronics that should never have been qualified to operate a computer.   It's worth attempting a trade in if you have high value games to trade in but the stores seem to be hit or miss.  If you have a good store with competent people this is a great deal.  

Thanks again OP! Got in on the deal. Traded in my copy of Ryse, MGS, Watch Dogs, and Halo 4! Took 10 minutes since she looked up every game to show me the value, delete them, and then re add them in the cart. Ran into problems for trying to trade in 2 copies. She triple clicked and tried to add another one and kept getting an error saying they cannot take anymore copies. There was already 2 copies in the cart. But still great, especially since I've got a Sam's membership.

Which Walmart did you go to? I went to the Mountain View one, had to do 3 separate transactions due to the $250 cap, but it went smoothly other than that. Actually, their printer wasn't working so the guy at the electronics desk was able to scan each egift card page on screen and transfer them to physical gift cards.
Milpitas. I hate that store but Mt View is another 20 mins out of my way, next closest is Fremont. I'm very tempted to go to the Mt View location as I don't have much in the way of good experiences there at the McCarthy ranch location. Their site to store pick up always takes a min. 15 mins to find someone to man the register.

On a side note, do you happen to have a Blackbird account? If so and if you have BB Visas, have you been able to use those or other means to fund the Blackbird account? The Milpitas store indicated to me they can't fund off a non-imprinted name (i.e. generic) Visa GC like Best Buy's.

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but the pre-order cards are basically $5 gift cards.  On the back of the card, peel off the yellow sticker covering the "redemption barcode" and have them scan that...YMMV on whether or not they will do it, but the system will treat it as a giftcard.  I just used mine online by scratching off the PIN# field which reveals the gift card number and it's associated PIN#.

Just wish the free shipping they offer online didn't take 2 weeks.

I just did a trade in and it took over hour. This ymmv.. But I used the giftcard right away since they had to print the giftcard from the manager office and I don't want to deal with someone write my giftcard down. My purchase was over the giftcard value and I used my visa to cover the rest. But when they did the return they put the whole total back to my visa card.

I just did a trade in and it took over hour. This ymmv.. But I used the giftcard right away since they had to print the giftcard from the manager office and I don't want to deal with someone write my giftcard down. My purchase was over the giftcard value and I used my visa to cover the rest. But when they did the return they put the whole total back to my visa card.
Did I read this right? Was your card credit or debit?

Got x1 Xbox One and x1 PS4 copy of MG Ground Zeros at Gamestop for like $7.40 total (used the bday coupon and x2 $5 off PUR coupons.) Traded them both in at like $16 bucks each. Also traded in x2 copies of Halo 4. Got $65.14 total. I also had to run over and grab a Madden pre order card. Took about 10 minutes total, dude seemed to know exactly what to do. He even put the remaining $60.14 on a physical gift card without me asking.

Went home and scratched off the madden pre order card (the right side side) and consolidated like 4 walmart gift cards I had into one big gift card. Pretty easy experience I would say.

edit: I guess if anyone was wondering it was the mega Wal-Mart in Coventry, RI

Anyone had any problems trading in the last thirty minutes? The lady had my three games in the cart, pressed the continue button, and then nothing would happen. She expected it to print out the papers, but nothing. I traded in a few months ago and didn't notice anything being done wrong but then again I am in Florida, so maybe now she was supposed to do something different? I have no clue. Really hope the values hold until tomorrow when I go back in!

Did I read this right? Was your card credit or debit?
Credit Card, but my total was $140 and the person wanted to talk to her friend. I did make the purchase and return on the same day but it seem like if the cashier over look the the way you made the purchase the computer will all it to process.

Went to 2 Wally worlds first one had no madden cards at all. Manager said they should have had them like 3 weeks ago. Strike 2 at the other walmart when the employee didn't even want to try due to one worrying doing it wrong. Just gave up and went to BB to trade them in. Kept one for my destiny bundle. Grats on those who scored thou. Just wish walmart would make this alittle less hassle then it's worth.

Just turned $70 in games into $135.  Took the EGC to the front and turned it into a GC then went and bought gas.

When trading at Walmart, do you need to present an ID at all?

Also, do they search games by "name" or by the "UPC"?

Thanks.
showing your ID depends on which state you are an and a loss for that particular state. As far as searching games, they usually scan the UPC, but it doesn't always work. Aparticular barcode won't scan, they will usualy search by the name of the games.

I just traded in 10 games that I picked up for 90 bucks for 172 dollars of credit. It took me about 15 to 20 minutes. The guy helping me was helpful but kind of slow. He also forgot to charge me for the madden pre order card so I didn't have to bother with that. I just told him I wanted to use the madden promo that popped up on his screen when we started.

After he gave me the sheet of paper, I took it up to a front register and bought a reloadable gift card with the paper code. I simply told the cashier that I wanted to transfer the entire amount to the reloadable gift card and she had no problem with that.

Also, I found another decent flip from Gamestop.

Ps4 NBA Live 14 is 9.99 regular price at Gamestop. Walmart will give you 9 for it before the promo - that is 13.50 after the promo.

I went to two different Walmart locations and had a relatively good experience at both of them.  At one, I was directed to the customer service desk and at the other I was told to go to Wireless.  The person at CS was extremely nice to me, but insisted that she had to do a separate transaction for each of my four games due to the promo.  I tried explaining that she didn't, but I didn't fight it.  Took a little longer than it should have since she entered the info from my ID four times....

My experience at Wireless went even smoother.  He took my games, clicked yes on the promo, scanned them all and sent me on my way.  The only thing I'm not happy with is that I'm stuck with the paper GC (for now).  Several people at both locations told me they were not allowed to transfer to a plastic card.  I will most likely just place an order for one online and consolidate them all.

bread's done
Back