Walmart has wii component cables for 19.99

YMMV, stopped by walmart to pick some up for a friend who needs some, and the electronics ''expert'' looked at me like 'compo-what?'.. not even the xbox 360 official ones were there :[

ive seen the psyclone cables at 2 walmarts im guessing these are what he is refering too. they werent gold plated or anything so they could be 19.99

Picked those Psyclone cables up from Wal-Mart last night. They work fine for me, I'm all progressive scanning now, baby! And $20 is better than the $40 at Fry's or, gulp, the $60 ones at Circuit City. Prefer to spend my money on games.

...so these are the same cables that cost $60 at Best Buy? For $20?

If so, I'm returning them NOW.

[quote name='Pojo']...so these are the same cables that cost $60 at Best Buy? For $20?[/QUOTE]
No. Same brand just not gold plated - the "value" version if you will. I actually am happy with the quality of them in 480p. Now if this was a PS3 or Xbox 360, I would have gotten the gold plated cables. But for the Wii, they are great, epecially for only $20.

By "gold plated", do you mean...the tips of the RBG and the two audio cables are gold, or the tip of the connector that plugs into the digital output on the back of the Wii console is gold?

That part is plastic on my set, which struck me as being rather odd since my Xbox Psyclone cables have gold on every part that plugs in. I can't find a set online to see...

[quote name='Pojo']By "gold plated", do you mean...the tips of the RBG and the two audio cables are gold[/QUOTE]
the tips of the cables

often times you probably wont see a difference in the quality. It's all about the tin they used for the solder. IF the solder connections are crap, your whole cable is crap

Alright, thank you.

Personally, I don't notice a huge difference between the $30 Nintendo brand Cube component cables and the $60 Wii Psyclone cables, though the only game I tested was Smash Brothers. Zelda: TP looks mighty fine, but there are these slightly visible horizontal lines on the top of the screen...something I also noticed with Wind Waker, but not in any other games.

maybe this is a lame question but i dont know much about the graphics on a tv. can someone explain what these cables do? thanks.
-marc

Component is the best connection available on the PS2, Wii, and 360 (well, VGA's as good on 360).

[quote name='RockoMan']maybe this is a lame question but i dont know much about the graphics on a tv. can someone explain what these cables do? thanks.
-marc[/QUOTE]
Allows for 480p on compatible tv's. 480i (interlaced) is available through the standard cables. Interlaced skips every other line of the picture while 480p allows for progressive scan (480p) effectively doubling the amount of lines of video you are viewing producing a much clearer picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/480p

The gold tips do not help in turns on video quality. They gold plate things to help stop the connectors from corroding.

[quote name='snakelda']I would stick with the Official Nintendo Component Cables....but that's just me[/QUOTE]

Why?

I bought them from Walmart 2 hours ago and the quality is decent. Nothing major, but I never had the official Nintendo ones so I can't say whether it's the cables or the actual quality of the system. Overall, I would recommend buying them for a cheap solution for HDTVs.

[quote name='Demontooth']Why?[/QUOTE]
Asthetics, warranty, Nintendo quality. Probably most common reasons.

...does anyone else notice the horizontal lines in Zelda: TP? They don't appear without component cables.

[quote name='RockoMan']maybe this is a lame question but i dont know much about the graphics on a tv. can someone explain what these cables do? thanks.
-marc[/quote]

Does Component make any difference? You bet it does! Video output quality comes in these forms (ranked from lowest to highest quality):

1) Coax Cable (looks like Cable TV cable)
2) Composite Cable
3) S-Video Cable
4) Component Cable
5) HDMI Cable

The Wii comes with a Composite cable (#2), which is the second to the lowest quality you can get in video output.

Component cable will upgrade the video to the second high quality video output you can get.

s701

P.S. Also would stick with the Nintendo offical cable... rule of life "You get what you pay for".

[quote name='bugg33']Asthetics, warranty, Nintendo quality. Probably most common reasons.[/quote]

Aesthetics? Who's looking behind your TV?

Warranty? I've absolutely never had to return a cable.

Quality? Maybe. But it's just 480p--not 1080p. I think vanilla cables would be fine for all really cheap ass gamers.

[quote name='Pojo']...does anyone else notice the horizontal lines in Zelda: TP? They don't appear without component cables.[/quote]

I bought the play-asia Wii component cables. There are a lot of horizontal lines in Twilight Princess. Standard definition looks better than the progressive on my LCD TV. I thought it might have been my TV + cheap cable combo, but it seems I am not the only one with the horizontal lines issue. I wish I had official Nintendo component cables to compare with my play-asia cables to see if there is less of a horizontal line effect...I haven't played Wii sports with progressive but I'll try it now.

[quote name='kmartbum001']I bought the play-asia Wii component cables. There are a lot of horizontal lines in Twilight Princess. Standard definition looks better than the progressive on my LCD TV. I thought it might have been my TV + cheap cable combo, but it seems I am not the only one with the horizontal lines issue. I wish I had official Nintendo component cables to compare with my play-asia cables to see if there is less of a horizontal line effect...I haven't played Wii sports with progressive but I'll try it now.[/quote]
It might just be your TV. Gamespot did a comparison a while ago and I didn't see horizontal lines on the screens.

[quote name='syndicate701']Does Component make any difference? You bet it does! Video output quality comes in these forms (ranked from lowest to highest quality):

1) Coax Cable (looks like Cable TV cable)
2) Composite Cable
3) S-Video Cable
4) Component Cable
5) HDMI Cable

The Wii comes with a Composite cable (#2), which is the second to the lowest quality you can get in video output.

Component cable will upgrade the video to the second high quality video output you can get.

s701

P.S. Also would stick with the Nintendo offical cable... rule of life "You get what you pay for".[/quote]

How is Coaxial Cable lowest quality when it is the cable that sends HDTV signals to my Comcast Cable box?

[quote name='Mahoney07']How is Coaxial Cable lowest quality when it is the cable that sends HDTV signals to my Comcast Cable box?[/QUOTE]
That guy is probably thinking of the RF Modulators that came with old school Atari 2600 and NES that would you could set to channel 3 or 4 and it would overide your cable. It's not the actual cable that makes it the worst its just how the modulator works.

[quote name='Cursor']Aesthetics? Who's looking behind your TV?

Warranty? I've absolutely never had to return a cable.

Quality? Maybe. But it's just 480p--not 1080p. I think vanilla cables would be fine for all really cheap ass gamers.[/QUOTE]
Who cares? Some people on here or not actually that "cheapass" and only like OEM products and it's not like they are Monstercable prices..

[quote name='Mahoney07']How is Coaxial Cable lowest quality when it is the cable that sends HDTV signals to my Comcast Cable box?[/quote]

the signal sent to your comcast box is on a digital frequency.. then the box converts it to the 1080i picture and send its to the tv... think of the hd box as a cable modem.. does the same thing..

trust me.. i work for comcast, and its very indepth how it works, i just dumbed it down for you people

[quote name='deserteagle1237']It might just be your TV. Gamespot did a comparison a while ago and I didn't see horizontal lines on the screens.[/QUOTE]Well it's hard to tell from comparisons, but every component cable that I've tried with Zelda has horizontal lines (which are especially noticeable in dark areas). I still think it looks much sharper, so I deal with them.

It's supposed to happen, from what I read. Banding and dithering and so on. Oh well.

[quote name='Mahoney07']How is Coaxial Cable lowest quality when it is the cable that sends HDTV signals to my Comcast Cable box?[/quote]

True. But, I was speaking within the context of Video Gaming consoles. There is an assumption that I was referencing the start of game consoles (Atari 400, NES 64, etc).. they all came with Coax RG 59/U cable and an RF mod...not RG56/U (RG6) that is used in today's Comcast Cable and Dish/DirecTV digital broadcast.

SO... staying within the VIDEO GAMING CONSOLE context.. coax is the worse video out. My statement still stands. Unless you can show me on the Xbox 360 and PS3 where there is digital output using Coax Cable?!?

s701

Just got a pair today at the Mount Pocon Walmart in PA. They had about 2 left since i picked one up. I must say i can see the differnce in the two cables alot. I would recommend picking up for $19.99! But now i have to buy a Component Video Selector since i have my Cable Box, Wii and 360 all on componets and of course i only got two component inputs.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Just got a pair today at the Mount Pocon Walmart in PA. They had about 2 left since i picked one up. I must say i can see the differnce in the two cables alot. I would recommend picking up for $19.99! But now i have to buy a Component Video Selector since i have my Cable Box, Wii and 360 all on componets and of course i only got two component inputs.[/quote]

i know what you mean man, i have the ps2 and 360 hooked up by components and soon to have the wii hooked up too, but i only have 2 inputs aswell. I was thinking about buying a video selector but i dont know if it would maintain the same quality as it previously did.

and staying on topic. We had some mad catz components for 39.99 this week for the wii, notice we "had" them. It seems nintendo was really underestimating whether or not consumers have hdtvs or not.

I bought the Wii component cables at Wally World last night and they suck! When I was setting up my Wii it seemed like the color on the screen was falling behind the screen changes and there was a loud buzzing noise coming from the speakers.

Are the cables crap or is there something I need to adjust inthe Wii system settings??

[quote name='oppie1']
trust me.. i work for comcast, and its very indepth how it works, i just dumbed it down for you people[/quote]

wow...welcome to CAG

you work for Comcast...yet you are still arrogant

I've been wanting to get component cables but never really got around to it.

Since both Walmart (Psyclone) and Game Crazy (Mad Catz) have component cables for $20, I'm wondering which of the two are better brands. Any suggestions?

[quote name='h2dk']wow...welcome to CAG

you work for Comcast...yet you are still arrogant[/quote]

i didnt mean it as an insult... had i explained it in the terms we techs use, probablly none of you would understand

[quote name='djfalcon']i know what you mean man, i have the ps2 and 360 hooked up by components and soon to have the wii hooked up too, but i only have 2 inputs aswell. I was thinking about buying a video selector but i dont know if it would maintain the same quality as it previously did.

[/QUOTE]

I have my PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, and Wii hooked up through component and had to buy a Switch selector. I bought the Psyclone connector with 7 button remote that you see at CC or BB. It was about $100, but I had a $15 off $100 purchase so I got it a little cheaper. It works great and I see no quality loss with it. But of course I also have my PS3 hooked up with HDMI cable and it looks even better. I am going to see if I can hook up my 360 with a HDMI cable or is that not possible?? Havent really looked into it yet.

[quote name='Chitown021']I bought the Wii component cables at Wally World last night and they suck! When I was setting up my Wii it seemed like the color on the screen was falling behind the screen changes and there was a loud buzzing noise coming from the speakers.

Are the cables crap or is there something I need to adjust inthe Wii system settings??[/quote]

Please ignore my earlier post about the Wal-Mart component cables sucking. I had the red audio cable crossed with the red video cable. As soon as I switched them out they work great!!

[quote name='oppie1']the signal sent to your comcast box is on a digital frequency.. then the box converts it to the 1080i picture and send its to the tv... think of the hd box as a cable modem.. does the same thing..

trust me.. i work for comcast, and its very indepth how it works, i just dumbed it down for you people[/QUOTE]

i wouldn't post anymore if you're going to talk to "people" like they're sub-class because you work at comcast. are we supposed to gather around on our knees now comcast guy?

If anybody is looking for a set of these cables i can swing by walmart and pick them up for you guys. Just let me know via pm or post.

bread's done
Back