Walmart YMMV In Store Clearance Thread I (READ THE FAQs)

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Changing this to a FAQs for those that need some help getting these deals.

When I order online it shows X price for in store, but changes to Y price at checkout, what gives?
You can only do in store pickup for the clearance price if the item is available for pick up that day. If it isn't the price will be the online price instead. Sometimes the item will be shipped to that store if it is no longer at that store. It may adjust to the clearance price at pickup but it could also charge you full price for it.

Can I buy the item at one store and return / rebuy at another?
Yes but it is up to the stores discretion to allow you to get it for that stores in store price. If it is an online order, they are supposed to return it to the warehouse it came from so you will not be able to buy it back. It's YMMV on employees following this rule though.

Can I price match a Walmart clearance item at X store?
No. No store, including Walmart, PMs clearance prices. YMMV on getting PMs for these items but it is against every stores policy to do so.

I want to price match this clearance item at another Walmart, will they allow me to?
No WM (or any retailer) PMs the prices of other local stores.

BS said X of an item is in stock, but the employee said it isn't at my store, why did they lie to me?
They didn't. Sometimes items are misplaced, stolen, or the count is off. Employees are not all over the massive stock room nor do they know where every item is. Don't harass an employee or come on here saying they are keeping it for themselves. Sometimes, an item truly isn't in the store.

Why is BS always wrong?
BS is not wrong. Their information is directly from WM systems. Just like all stores, inventory and prices may be wrong for a certain store. Do not rely only on BS.

How do I find clearance items?
Go to the store and scan items, check SD, check this thread. Actually look for something you want.

Where in the store are clearance games located?

Clearance items in general can be on shelves, in dedicated clearance sections or in the stock room. For games specifically, they will be in the videogame glass cases, videogame value game isle or dedicated clearance section. It's random and depends on that stores layout / management.

What is the SKU or item number of this item?
Look it up yourself. There is a search function on this site, on BS site and you can Google the item almost 100% of the time. No one needs to spoon feed you this information and we shouldn't have 20 people asking for the same information that was already posted.

Acronyms to know.
WM = Walmart
PM = Price Match
TRU = Toysrus
BS = Brickseek
SD = Slickdeals

Last edited by a moderator:
I must be missing something but neither of those screenshots show that they are preparing to remove all Xbox games.
i think they are referring to the rumor last year that walmart would remove xbox games and applying the removal of starfield as proof those rumors are true and this is the beginning.
Makes sense, really. No company has done more to decimate retail physical media in video games than Microsoft. Hellblade 2 isn't even getting a physical release.

This rumor is also consistent with starements from MS brass about wanting Xbox games on other platforms. At this point, Xbox stands more for Gamepass than a separate console.

I don't care how big MS is; when you spend $70b, your shareholders will be demanding you show a viable strategy to profits. Selling consoles isn't working, and Gamepass subs are flat-lining. What other option does MS have at this point?

Nothing in their direct will move the needle much, and certainly nothing there is going to change the tide.

This is not to say Playstation is in any better shape, based on those leaks. The industry certainly looks like it's headed for a reckoning soon.

walmart is starting to remove xbox games from their stores. starfield will be first. apparently it will be “pennied” out of their system and if you try to buy it the system wont let you but maybe someone can get lucky. this is starting 1/22

Last edited:
Makes sense, really. No company has done more to decimate retail physical media in video games than Microsoft. Hellblade 2 isn't even getting a physical release.

This rumor is also consistent with starements from MS brass about wanting Xbox games on other platforms. At this point, Xbox stands more for Gamepass than a separate console.

I don't care how big MS is; when you spend $70b, your shareholders will be demanding you show a viable strategy to profits. Selling consoles isn't working, and Gamepass subs are flat-lining. What other option does MS have at this point?

Nothing in their direct will move the needle much, and certainly nothing there is going to change the tide.

This is not to say Playstation is in any better shape, based on those leaks. The industry certainly looks like it's headed for a reckoning soon.
its starting on 1/22. its happening

Yep, tie this in with BB removing movies, Alan Wake 2 digital only along with many others now, and we're now in the digital age. Also, MS is the one footing the bill for field destroy of Walmart games. Expect cases of these games to show up on ebay for cheap soon since we all know how well that will go.

When you're already hearing things like "~72% of all game purchases are digital now", I can't imagine what it's like on Xbox. Nobody buys that stuff. Ever. This was Microsoft's cooking. I shop in-person a ton and nobody is buying anything physically on Xbox. It's incredibly less then half that reminder (of 28% physical sales).

Digital Age began w/ Steam and its 5000 clones killing retail off for PC games, some decade or so ago. Consoles is next; it was inevitable.

"the industry shrinking," is what's inevitable. People are going to buy fewer game titles. They're also going to spend substantially less on msrp. The same way people in the Steam thread have been doing for well over a decade. Then, they'll overpay for dumb services and gacha.

Certain brands and franchises will no longer be profitable and studios are going to shutter. like Ubisoft and other pubs who can no longer move units.

The industry is consolidating. Which devs already see that writing on the wall, just look at their public discussion and sentiments following the huge success of BGIII. They know their stuff isn't going to remain viable. Which is why they were all freaking out.

When people can't own anything they're not going to continue to make frivolous purchases. They're going to be deliberate with the things they want to buy and play, and most people are going to sit at home alone and play one game quietly for the whole year. Gamers will retreat to their favorite service-based title or franchise. Esp the one that makes them feel semi-social. Then, they're also going to cut services.

Last edited:
They (dev's and pub's) have rendered discs useless for the most part anyways at retail. We got broken games on release like CP 2077...and who wants version 1.0 of that? V2.0+ is where it's at for that game.

Also about disc being rendered useless - you got tons of DLC's, expansions, expansion passes, Season Passes, etc - you often have to buy the Complete Edition later on disc if you want it on disc, if a Complete Ed's even pressed on disc. And sometimes, all that extra content's just a game-code anyways, if it's even on disc in the re-release.

And it's not like the patches are public as they all are on PSN, XBL, Steam, GOG, etc - this ain't the old days of PC patches on a game's web-site, Fileshack, GamesHell, etc. So, you basically need your game installed at all times and your system always connected to said services, just to stay up-to-date.

The other thing I could see happening - gamers only buy stuff when it's old & dirt-cheap from services like PSN, XBL, GOG, Steam, etc. and not likely getting that many updates - which is basically what I've been doing since Steam killed retail for PC.

And there's also rumors of games going up to $100 MSRP for Standard Ed going around too.

When you're already hearing things like "~72% of all game purchases are digital now", I can't imagine what it's like on Xbox. Nobody buys that stuff. Ever. This was Microsoft's cooking. I shop in-person a ton and nobody is buying anything physically on Xbox. It's incredibly less then half that reminder (of 28% physical sales).
The local game stores in my area don't even carry Xbox games unless they are very rare. They say no one buys them and they just sit on the shelves. This was even before the Series X came along.

Xbox games just never keeps it's value outside of very niche titles. Most titles are multiplatform as well but they made a lot more copies for Xbox compared to similar titles on other platforms.

Perfect recipe for games that, once past their release, end up being thrown away after a while since they just collect dust in stores.

Yup. Agreed. MS also fuels the narrative by releasing discs that are unplayable. Both Halo Infinite and Starfield physical releases require you go online to download the rest of the game. This sort of practice makes the disc worthless, anyways.

EA did the same thing with the recent Jedi Fallen Order sequel.

All of this will just make it easy for my wallet because I won't be buying any of them. When physical games are mostly over, I'm done with the industry. Will never buy a digital game.

And there's also rumors of games going up to $100 MSRP for Standard Ed going around too.
yeah that's where we should have gone long ago. If you've got a $100+ game then sell me a $100 game. no foolin around, no tricks. We were already paying well above that in the 90's with PC and SNES games that costed $60-$70+. Neo Geo Gold games were like $150. If you think you're game is worth $100-$120 then come out and say it, and sell customers a complete, high-quality game.

Instead they prey on dumb people, in installments. The way that everything expensive is 'a la carte' these days.

I don't think $100 is a premium 'ask' these days. That's what customers expect to pay for a service game with it's expansion or complete season pass.

But gamers are so dumb they've chosen the other more expensive route. and regularly pay $120+ for CoD with map packs. Or hundreds of dollars for their service-based games.

Almost nobody is building a quality brand besides Nintendo.

At this point good luck with trying to sell that. People are not going to dump that much dosh on games when they haven't increased the standard msrp in what 20+ years?

I could see people being more willing for that if cost of living matched wages. But then the price of everything else just goes up again.

I just tried at Walmart in Fernandina Beach FL. They had 5 copies and the lady was nice enough to try scanning every copy. They have it locked down in the pos. Doesn't show .03 cents when scanned, only says do not sell and automatically removes the item. Good luck to everyone else.

So walmart is shipping these back to MS or just throwing them away? So dumb to not sell them!
You may not like it, but there are various reasons - most likely tax deductions - that are driving this decision. Recall what Funko did recently when they opted to just trash hundreds of millions of dollars worth of pops.

It's block by the register. Even if an employee wanted to sell it to you, they would have no means to.

YMMV. I tried to get a game that showed $0.03 on Brickseek a few years ago and the system denied the purchase, but the employee overrode it and sold it to me anyway. (I returned it later because he rang it up at the sticker price of $50 and I was too embarrassed to ask him to cancel the purchase after he jumped through hoops to sell it)

Probably a very good way to get fired but some employees dgaf

Last edited:
It's not just Starfield. Rumor is WM intends to do away with carrying Xbox games on the floor.
and then you have to wonder how long until ps4/ps5 games are removed as well. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that nearly every game requires an internet update and some portion of Walmart customers probably don't have a means to download some of these massive updates.

and then you have to wonder how long until ps4/ps5 games are removed as well. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that nearly every game requires an internet update and some portion of Walmart customers probably don't have a means to download some of these massive updates.
May be. While all games may have patches, I think it's fair to say that Xbox gamers are particularly conditioned to not buy physical discs. Sony, on the other hand, still encourages disc media (look at how the slim is priced to intentionally favor the disc version) and still bothers to release full games on discs (like the Horizon Forbidden West 2-disc complete edition), so I think PS4/PS5 games are more likely to stick around for some time. Sony doesn't push its online service much, either

Didn't they have a supposed trick back when where first you scan m rated movie or something that requires authorization and that allowed you to bypass the authorization required for 3 cent game's? I feel like that was brief but was a thing.

Bravely-Default-2.jpg

Noticed some drops, these occurred at two of my local WalMarts:

:switch:Power A Zelda Wireless Controller $25.00
:switch:Power A Super Mario Enhanced Wired Controller $15.00
:switch:Rune Factory Special 3 $10.00

PS5 Camera $25.00
PS5 Media Remote $20.00

PS4 Power A Charging Stand for Dualshock 4 Controller $7.00

bread's done
Back