War Week & CAG Contest - 5 Weeks of $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct2Drive

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9145[/IMG-R]Celebrate 5 Years of Direct2Drive with 5 Weeks of downloadable games for $5. Each week features a new genre of games to choose from. Buy one game and get a chance to win all 50.

Week 1: Ubisoft and great strategy titles
Week 2: Action
Week 3: RPG /MMO
Week 4: Indie
Week 5: War

:pc: $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct Drive

Last edited by a moderator:
That list is really weird.

Why would both Company of Heroes, and Company of Heroes Gold be in the sale? And why would both Supreme Commander Gold, and just the SupCom expansion pack be in the sale, as well?

If that SD list is for reals, I'm totally on World In Conflict Gold. Now that I have a new PC that can handle it at hi-rez, I'll pick it up.

Boy, we're gonna be sorry when the deals stop. Was playing Defense Grid the other night and a level that I barely survived with one core left, I aced with all cores saved with different tactics. Definitely worth the $5 pickup.

I picked up Far Cry and Drakensang last night. I'm thinking about picking up The Chronicles of Riddick and maybe something else when the rest of the games go up tomorrow.

I swear it said $5 a few minutes ago when I was looking

The website says $19.95 but is shows up as $5 when you put it in the cart

They fixed the prices pretty fast.

And it looks like the SD list was correct except for the last two which didn't make sense anyway.

[quote name='Spinoff360']Not a great week but guess I will finally get Mount and Blade. Hope they go out with a bang during war week. Since they have had games like Riddick that came out around the same time I am hoping for Battlestations Pacific. One of the customer reviews says to avoid the D2D version due to a lack of a patch but that makes no sense at all to me when it is a GFWL game that would auto patch without needing to download a patch.

First time I have noticed Juiced 2 at $5 so not sure if that was just added today as one of the ones they don't advertise on the 5 year page or not. Already have it so it could just be that I never noticed it. But for $5 that is a good buy for anybody that doesn't have it IMO. As long as they keyboard isn't your only playing option that is. And unlike the Steam version the achievements are not broken for anybody that cares about that.

Anybody play MLB Front Office Manager and know if it is worth $5?[/QUOTE]

w00t :applause:

[quote name='blackwaltz34']which one would you guys recommend....world in conflict, supreme commander, or company of heroes?[/QUOTE]

1) Company of Heroes
2) World in Conflict
3) Supreme Commander

[quote name='blackwaltz34']which one would you guys recommend....world in conflict, supreme commander, or company of heroes?[/QUOTE]

I loved Supreme Commander, but download the demo to make sure you machine can handle it. Before I upgraded to what I have now, it killed my last machine. And the expansion needs about twice the power, it seems.

So hard to hold back... already bought 3 in previous weeks...
Definitely in for WIC and Supreme Commander, even though I worry my computer can't play them well and I may never get around to playing them.

Is Hearts of Iron II super complex? It always looked interesting but I'm not sure I can concentrate on that kind of war game.

I was so glad that I finally got to try out EVE Online at a great price. I'll be picking up a few more games that I don't already have this week. Great promotion, guys!

Shooters really got short shrift on this one. Wasn't expecting and CoD but thought they'd do better than 6 year old delta force games, which aren't bad necessarily but not a deal at five dollars. Also surprised they didn't just do hells highway given the dismal sales and subsequent discounts the game has had since its release.

[quote name='bcjohnnie']So hard to hold back... already bought 3 in previous weeks...
Definitely in for WIC and Supreme Commander, even though I worry my computer can't play them well and I may never get around to playing them.

Is Hearts of Iron II super complex? It always looked interesting but I'm not sure I can concentrate on that kind of war game.[/QUOTE]

Whoa... 3... slow down there. I was at 14 before this last batch and it looks like I may get 4 more.

Hey I wanna get Chronicles of Riddick, but I'm not sure how well my laptop can run it. How are these specs:

AMD Turion(tm) X2 Core Dual-Core Mobile RM-72 2.10 GHz
4GB of RAM
64-bit
Windows Vista
ATI Radeon 3100 graphics

This has been a great promotion, so far I've picked up:

X-Com Complete Bundle
Civilization 4
Assassin's Creed
Pirates!
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Titan Quest Bundle
Saints Row 2
S.T.A.L.K.E.R
Company of Heroes Gold
World in Conflict Gold
Supreme Commander Gold

That's a whole bunch of gaming goodness for $55 + tax... now I just need to find the time to play everything...

Beyond Good & Evil and Assassin's Creed for $5 were good deals, but Bioshock still takes the cake. The last two weeks have been kind of disappointing for me, but I still got more than I ever expected from the sale.

Already picked up Sword of the Stars, Gish, Civ4, NWN2+Expansion, Titan Quest, and Drakensang. Probably have to pickup a couple this week as well. A lot of good games at a great price if you haven't picked them up already. Been playing Titan Quest since I got it, so I haven't gotten around to playing the other games on the list. Great game that helps since it might still be awhile before D3.

Damn, Company of Heroes Gold is a fantastic deal for $5. Too bad I already got it on Steam
I'm really tempted to grab World in Conflict though...
Never have been too interested in D2D, that might hold me back from buying it

Edit: Meh, think I'm gonna buy it
The game and expansion would cost me $40 on Steam, screw that :p

OK, I see it's fixed now. Definitely in for World in Conflict. I'm not getting Supreme Commander because I blow at RTS games and I hear this is more suited for the harder core RTS maven.

All in I've gotten:
* Assassin's Creed
* Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
* X-Com Complete Bundle
* Defense Grid
* World in Conflict Gold

Already had a lot of other titles (e.g. S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Bioshock, Saints Row 2 [X360], Company of Heroes), or I would've picked up hella more. Gonna miss these sales, for sure.

A great promotion, I wish that D2D could be just a little more user friendly to use like Steam. Prices couldn't be better though. Could they have been a little more consistent with what stayed $5 during the promotion. Weeks later Civ IV is still $5, meanwhile Defense Grid and World of Goo are back up to full price. I waited too long on some of them.

Shame on me.

[quote name='xrayzwei']A great promotion, I wish that D2D could be just a little more user friendly to use like Steam. Prices couldn't be better though. Could they have been a little more consistent with what stayed $5 during the promotion. Weeks later Civ IV is still $5, meanwhile Defense Grid and World of Goo are back up to full price. I waited too long on some of them.

Shame on me.[/QUOTE]

Well you could buy Saints Row 2 and then use the cd-key on steam. I had already gotten Civ IV when I bought the giant 2k games pack when it went on sale a while ago.

Well I just bit on a few more games. So far I've bought:

- Far Cry
- Drakensang
- Titan's Quest Bundle
- The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

I'm thinking about anything else I may wanna pick up, either an RPG, action or FPS.

Any suggestions?

I'm definitely on board for Company of Heroes Gold! Purple Flames, I would highly recommend the Xcom Collection. They may not fit neatly into any of the genres you listed, but you will find that they are amazing, amazing games. I think the first Xcom was directly responsible for dropping me a letter grade or two in college (as well as the beginning of a lifelong habit of frequent sleep-deprivation).

Civ IV is the best turn based strategy game of all-time. If you enjoy historical games that make you use your mind, then don't hesitate to pick this up!

I shouldn't have waited on getting The Path. I've heard good things about it, despite the problems inherent in an "experimental game".

Though I already have Company of Heroes and all of its expansions, I could recommend it to a few friends that don't yet have it.

Company of Heroes was exactly what I was hoping for, so picked that up (gold) and Supreme Commander Gold as well.

This is in addition to Drakensang last week.

Having credit in Paypal is dangerous...:D

Belgarath the Ancient One

I'm really glad I finally got around to picking up STALKER, it's the perfect game for me. Just what I want out of that sort of shooter.

Already have HoI 2, but if you're at all into World War II and like strategy games it's a no brainer. HoI 3 is a bit more welcoming, but you can't turn down $5.

I almost pulled the trigger on some indy titles, but I'm still a little reluctant to use the service, having Vista 64 (not entirely by choice, either). But Company of Heroes Gold will get me over that...! I got the vanilla version for $10 from the Gametap store, and I have a few Steam titles - compounded with the price is right, gotta do it.

I tried to nab it at lunch actually but D2D was choking - gonna get it tonight.
But I don't have the vast majority of titles listed, so a lucky CAG win would be welcome too 8D

Supreme Commander Gold is also tempting, along with Riddick and some other gems remaining at $5, see how CoH:Gold goes :)

[quote name='Wildcat1080']Any word on which of these new batch of games works on Steam? High considering Supreme Commander and/or CoH Gold.[/QUOTE]

As has been mentioned on nearly every page of this thread, if its not on this short list, it can't be registered on Steam. From the looks of it, none of the new deals are Steam-able.

So many good games. I will probably have to pickup Company of Heroes this week.

I like steam achievements, but I like 5 dollar games a little bit more.

Is it a hassle to play D2D games? Like, do you have to run a launcher like steam? I picked up a disc copy of COH: Gold awhile back, but didn't open it because I was expecting to see it on this list. However, I don't plan on buying any other D2D games. Is this worth it, or should I stick to a disc-based copy?

[quote name='unopepito06']Is it a hassle to play D2D games? Like, do you have to run a launcher like steam? I picked up a disc copy of COH: Gold awhile back, but didn't open it because I was expecting to see it on this list. However, I don't plan on buying any other D2D games. Is this worth it, or should I stick to a disc-based copy?[/QUOTE]

no launchers just click and go...and no disk swapping which is awesome...

bread's done
Back