Wario: Master of Disguise

AndrewCP

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
There hasn't been a thread on this game so I thought I'd start one. Wario: Master of Disguise is scheduled for release in Japan on this coming January 18th. It should be released on March 5th in the US.

67dg6.jpg

The Japanese website for Wario: MoD is up at: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/awaj/index.html Thanks to DS-x2.com for mentioning that the website has finally gone live.

There are some short but pretty cool videos on the site. I'm really digging some of these abilities and love the graphic style (I know they're not everything, but they look real nice). What are your guys' thoughts on this game so far (based on what we know)?

EDIT: A new trailer has been uploaded on YouTube by majkeld: http://youtube.com/watch?v=qDfF2fPv06s (thanks to dsfanboy.com for the heads up)

Jeux-France has uploaded new screenshots which can be seen here: http://jeux-france.com/news18714_wario-se-transforme-sur-nintendo-ds.html

1/16: Well the game has finally been released in Japan yesterday. There's also a new video on the official website: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/awaj/movie/index.html (thanks DS Fanboy)

Is that a 7 after it? Is it like the seventh Warioland game? And if so, where's 5 and 6?

Hope it lives up to the earlier ones. I love...well, all the earlier ones.

What concerns me about this game is the control scheme. I don't like the idea of controlling the DS with the d-pad and using abilities with the stylus. On the smaller DS Lite, it's even harder for me to really hold the system with one hand and still be able to have functional control over the d-pad without actually propping the system on something (like my knee or a table). Aside from that though, I'm looking forward to this game as I've always loved his series.

[quote name='basketkase543']What concerns me about this game is the control scheme. I don't like the idea of controlling the DS with the d-pad and using abilities with the stylus. On the smaller DS Lite, it's even harder for me to really hold the system with one hand and still be able to have functional control over the d-pad without actually propping the system on something (like my knee or a table). Aside from that though, I'm looking forward to this game as I've always loved his series.[/QUOTE]

A lot of these games are designed to use your thumb. After a solid year of playing Jump Super/Ultimate Stars, I've gotten over the hang up of thumb prints on the DS as well.

[quote name='furyk']A lot of these games are designed to use your thumb. After a solid year of playing Jump Super/Ultimate Stars, I've gotten over the hang up of thumb prints on the DS as well.[/quote]

Well if you watch the videos, this one is actually done by strokes and not touch screen buttons.

As long as the changing is done without your life on the line then I think it's fine. The changes in the video are only when a puzzle is solved and it's not hectic or anything.

^ That could be a fun aspect of the game - when things are hectic and you're in need of a costume change, trying to free Wario up enough to where you can safely make the change. Or perhaps the developers only made changes necessary in between moments of action - hard to say, but either way, it sounds like it could work very well.

I'm assuming it aside from the touch screen action on changing costumes, the game will be controlled normally with D-pad + button action, correct? With us just needing to make the quick adjustment to start drawing a new outfit.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Is that a 7 after it? Is it like the seventh Warioland game? And if so, where's 5 and 6?

Hope it lives up to the earlier ones. I love...well, all the earlier ones.[/QUOTE]

After looking around, I think the 7 in it might be referring to it being the 7th in the Super Mario Land series... remember how Wario Land was Super Mario Land 3? Hopefully this is right, as I'd hate to have missed any either (unless they were like WL4).

Okay, that works. Are they numbered that way in Japan still?

And I *loved* Wario Land 4. Fantabulastic graphics, music, and gameplay. (And I loved how Wario did kind of a show-off thing before boss fights the way bosses in games always do...cause you know, he's the boss :D )

[quote name='Wolfpup']Okay, that works. Are they numbered that way in Japan still?

And I *loved* Wario Land 4. Fantabulastic graphics, music, and gameplay. (And I loved how Wario did kind of a show-off thing before boss fights the way bosses in games always do...cause you know, he's the boss :D )[/QUOTE]

I am going to hazard a guess that they do, hopefully someone else knows for sure. I'm sure I would have heard something about a 5 or 6 if they were indeed separate from the Super Mario Land numbering.

I won't knock on you for loving it, everyone to their own... but I didn't like it as much because it didn't have the wonder of exploration and multiple level exits like the previous games had. And... I really love that...

[quote name='zatos']I am going to hazard a guess that they do, hopefully someone else knows for sure. I'm sure I would have heard something about a 5 or 6 if they were indeed separate from the Super Mario Land numbering.

I won't knock on you for loving it, everyone to their own... but I didn't like it as much because it didn't have the wonder of exploration and multiple level exits like the previous games had. And... I really love that...[/QUOTE]

I just like how they keep changing the gameplay up. Warioland 1 was pretty original. 2 was REALLY original, 3 was kind of more of the same (still good, but I didn't like it as well), and 4 was very original again. They're huge differences between them, and between them and other platformers.

[quote name='zatos']After looking around, I think the 7 in it might be referring to it being the 7th in the Super Mario Land series... remember how Wario Land was Super Mario Land 3? Hopefully this is right, as I'd hate to have missed any either (unless they were like WL4).[/QUOTE]
The 7 refers to the 7 costumes Wario can change into. This would be the 6th Wario 'Land' game, assuming you include Wario World.

After seeing the score from Famitsu, I think that this game may not live up to its expectation.

Kaitou Wario the Seven (NDS, Nintendo): 8 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (29/40)
^
This doesn't sound good to me.

Anyway, the EGM's score for Hotel Dusk is very good:
Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (NDS, Nintendo): 8.0 / 8.0 / 10

IMO, these two games are very interesting even though the first one didn't get very good scores from Famitsu.

8s and 7s are presumably great scores from Famitsu, aren't they? I know scores vary over here as to what they mean, but usually those are way above average.

The belief that Famitsu is tough reviewer has long passed. For a Wario game that has high anticipation, those scores are only alright, but we will see.

For me, I was never too interested in this game to begin with, or the series as a whole. Wario Land for Virtual Boy was fantastic though.

I don't go by reviews when I decide what game is good or if I will get it. And those scores of 8 and 7 are still at least decent. That score is about 73%. Still, I believe this game will be great and I will have good fun with it.

I wanted to update you guys that there is a new video at the official website (and it looks very nice too), even though it's in the first post, here's the link anyway: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/awaj/movie/index.html

It seems that Master of Disguise has been released in Japan under it's Japanese title on the 15th. If anyone has played the game yet I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Bumped it up because the game is to be released in less than a week. I preordered it myself. I was planning on importing, but the release date was so close I figured I'd just get the US version.

Looks like a fun game.

Anyway. Anyone else going to buy this?

Played retail version for Yahoo review recently. It's nice that they went somewhere new with this over previous games in the series -- unlike Kirby: Squeak Squad, Diddy Kong, and Yoshi's Island. Great touch-screen use on the whole, but there are parts where it gets what you're trying to do wrong, which is frustrating. Game is harder than most platformers, as you spend lots of time wandering around lost. Some RPG elements and well done humor, though.

Just got the new Nintendo Power and they gave it a very discouraging 6.5. Apparently, the game is overly tedious with needless backtracking (i.e., you can't go in this or that far-flung door until you get the right suit).

Doesn't sound encouraging.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']backtracking like Castlevania style?[/QUOTE]

That's kind of what I was wondering, but they seem to imply that it's not as well thought out and used to artificially lengthen the game and/or make it more challenging. Guess it would also depend on what kind of mapping system the game has.

I'm really looking forward to Phantom Hourglass, where you'll be able to make notations on the map. Seems like more DS games should have integrated that by now.

I was going to cancel it after the negative feedback about it...but it's already shipped. Oh well, at least I got $10 off, I guess.

Eh. It's an interesting idea and definitely worth a play, but already I find myself wandering around helplessly, backtracking all the hell over.

Return it. Buy it later.

Edit: And I really had high hopes for this game. Normally if it's a game I really want to like, I'll force myself to like it. But this... I just can't. I mean it's nice, but I'm not one for gonig all the hell to point Z to find that, oh, you have to go back to point A now! And once you do, hurry, run back to point ZZY and get something used at point B!

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Eh. It's an interesting idea and definitely worth a play, but already I find myself wandering around helplessly, backtracking all the hell over.

Return it. Buy it later.

Edit: And I really had high hopes for this game. Normally if it's a game I really want to like, I'll force myself to like it. But this... I just can't. I mean it's nice, but I'm not one for gonig all the hell to point Z to find that, oh, you have to go back to point A now! And once you do, hurry, run back to point ZZY and get something used at point B![/QUOTE]

Yeah, games like that drive me nuts. A little backtracking is okay (heck, adventure games are kind of built on that structure, and there it works), but in sidescrollers, especially when the maps are really big and everything's so far flung, it just gets obnoxious. It's apprehension of that kind of structure that really has prevented me playing any Castlevania games since the NES days. Even Metroid games can occasionally get needlessly complicated by this artificial game-extending tactic.

[quote name='Tybee']Yeah, games like that drive me nuts. A little backtracking is okay (heck, adventure games are kind of built on that structure, and there it works), but in sidescrollers, especially when the maps are really big and everything's so far flung, it just gets obnoxious. It's apprehension of that kind of structure that really has prevented me playing any Castlevania games since the NES days. Even Metroid games can occasionally get needlessly complicated by this artificial game-extending tactic.[/quote]

Yeah, I almost stopped playing Castlevania DoS because of it. But, I mean, in the very first room there's a treasure chesst out of reach that I still don't think I have the disguise for. And I have no idea how to even get back there.

It's a fun game to start with, but my time is now being dominating running all the hell over and finding nothing. Not fun.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Yeah, I almost stopped playing Castlevania DoS because of it. But, I mean, in the very first room there's a treasure chesst out of reach that I still don't think I have the disguise for. And I have no idea how to even get back there.

It's a fun game to start with, but my time is now being dominating running all the hell over and finding nothing. Not fun.[/QUOTE]
I'm the opposite way. After the initial fun, I got a little tired of it; but since then, I've started to enjoy it more. I've learned how to play it to minimize the back-tracking -- even though I rarely get an end-of-level time that's NOT in the red (as in no time bonus).

When you have innovative levels with your character's new powers opening up areas, you're bound to have some backtracking. I agree it's a little cumbersome in Wario, but the best games have it -- GTA, Super Metroid, Castlevania: SotN.

Sorry to bump up an old topic (well not THAT old..) but I just started playing this yesterday. I got this from Amazon when it was DOTD for $12 (free shipping from Prime) -$5 Pricegrabber and -$5 Amazon gift cert I had..so for $2, I'm enjoying this game.

I only completed the first 2 epsiodes...it's..decent. Not great, and it is kind of annoying. I guess for $2 it's not bad ;)

If you think it's annoying now, just wait :D

I gave up maybe halfway through the game. I was a big fan of the Wario Land games too (except maybe 3, which got a little tedious IMO).

I didn't even make it halfway, I think I gave up around episode 3. The game wasn't fun, and I had too many other games waiting to be played to waste time on this one. I may have to go back some time, but this was easily the worst game the Wario name has ever been attached to.

Yeah, I figured that's what you meant, I'm just being silly :)

Although I didn't like Wario World at all. That really seemed like a can't lose proposition. Wario (never had a bad game up to that point), the massive extra power of the Gamecube, and Treasure developing it! And it's even a scrolling fighter, one of my favorite genres. How can that go wrong? Err...

(Not TERRIBLE, but just really uninspired from what I remember.)

bread's done
Back