Was bored, did mod.

:lol: Yeah, you've got to be quick when you're changing a boy. Girls just soak whatever you're changing them on. With a boy, move too slow and you could be taking it in the face.

One good thing about me being a night owl was that it was very easy for my wife and I to take turns with our son when he was a baby. By having different sleeping schedules, we hardly ever missed out on any sleep.

Also, I don't know why this isn't mentioned more often, but cover your boy's crotch with a wipe when changing him. That way, if he pees, it usually won't go anywhere. There may be times when he either pulls it away or he is able to simply pee hard enough to knock it off, but this method works 95% of the time. I've been peed on maybe two or three times at the most in his lifetime, and even then, it was minor.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']:lol: Yeah, you've got to be quick when you're changing a boy. Girls just soak whatever you're changing them on. With a boy, move too slow and you could be taking it in the face.[/QUOTE]

I've become adept at keeping a butt wipe over his junk while changing ;)

[quote name='catabarez']Wiggy do you have any experience in making controllers wireless?[/QUOTE]

Yes, and it's something that my one partner and I are working on as far as a product offering goes. What console(s) are you thinking?

[quote name='ZombieToast']One good thing about me being a night owl was that it was very easy for my wife and I to take turns with our son when he was a baby. By having different sleeping schedules, we hardly ever missed out on any sleep.

Also, I don't know why this isn't mentioned more often, but cover your boy's crotch with a wipe when changing him. That way, if he pees, it usually won't go anywhere. There may be times when he either pulls it away or he is able to simply pee hard enough to knock it off, but this method works 95% of the time. I've been peed on maybe two or three times at the most in his lifetime, and even then, it was minor.[/QUOTE]

Sleep has been weird. He's breast feeding, so I can't help too much at night when he's hungry unless my wife has pumped and bottled for me. We're getting the hang if it slowly.

So, I made this for a vendor of mine who's been particularly great and since I'm sort of at a loss for time to produce mods for myself, this is my only new addition to "was bored", did mod" :)

zerey1_zps4a948a15.jpg~original

zerey3_zps1a7c4867.jpg~original

zerey2_zps7532cc5a.jpg~original

[quote name='wiggyx']Yes, and it's something that my one partner and I are working on as far as a product offering goes. What console(s) are you thinking?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much the major legacy systems; NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast. The only ones I haven't seen converted to wireless are the Genesis and Dreamcast controllers, are those possible?

Blerg, I wish :/

Been too damned busy with the business and now baby to even think of tackling projects of my own. I really wanna finish my SP in a DMG soon though...

wow wiggy just read through from first page to now. and all I can say is wow you do some amazing work and congrats on the new arrival. I have a ton of older stuff just collecting dust nes,snes,and n64 systems just laying around. ill hit you up some time about them.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow wiggy just read through from first page to now. and all I can say is wow you do some amazing work and congrats on the new arrival.

This!^^

Amazing mods for OG consoles!

wow wiggy just read through from first page to now. and all I can say is wow you do some amazing work and congrats on the new arrival. I have a ton of older stuff just collecting dust nes,snes,and n64 systems just laying around. ill hit you up some time about them.
Thanks!

wow wiggy just read through from first page to now. and all I can say is wow you do some amazing work and congrats on the new arrival.
This!^^

Amazing mods for OG consoles!
I love the old school :)

Hmm, pretty cool! The bottom of the center stick is oddly flat. Wonder how it feel in the hand.

Picked up a Gyromite fami adapter a few weeks back, was bummed that it doesn't come in a nice shell. I already have another business related project going on with a replacement NES cart shell, so I whipped this up ;)

null_zpsb53105ea.jpg

I think your new business venture is Earthbound Zero repros.

Good plan.

I just visited your site, looking forward to premodded Nomads.

Congrats on the baby.

Ding ding ding! You are correct :) I'll be posting pics on FB and my blog very shortly of the final product.

Also, thanks! I'm loving being a dad so far :D

Ding ding ding! You are correct :) I'll be posting pics on FB and my blog very shortly of the final product.

Also, thanks! I'm loving being a dad so far :D
Guuurrrgggh! Must have Earthbound Zero reproduction! Seriously, how do I get on the waiting list? Also, do you still have any of those GBA back-light packages? I picked up a few original GBAs off of eBay and was planning on restoring them.

sent you a pm
Replied (finally!)

I can, but it's really not my thing so much. I try to avoid using automotive paint as much as possible just because it takes a ton of setup and cleanup. It's really only worth it to me if I can do a bunch of parts at one time.

Guuurrrgggh! Must have Earthbound Zero reproduction! Seriously, how do I get on the waiting list? Also, do you still have any of those GBA back-light packages? I picked up a few original GBAs off of eBay and was planning on restoring them.
I don't do waiting lists just because the list would get really long really fast. I'm gonna try and crank as many of these out as I can over the next month or so. Hopefully it'll be enough to meet demand.

I do indeed!

http://rosecoloredgaming.com/other-products.html

I didn't mean the automotive paint part so much. More the designing. I don't care about the painting.

Just some of the things done were super cool. Like the controllers and what not.

I've actually got a resource for overlays like the NES and SNES controllers have.  Just haven't had the time to whip up vector template to get prototypes made :(

:) Can't wait for that.

Also since I just thought of this have you ever thought of using a 3-d printer to do custom shells or something of that nature.

The last time I inquired about these items, I wasn't in a situation where I could be spending money on a luxury mod like this. I also only had a single original GBA, the first GBA that I ever acquired, the day that the system first launched. I have taken very good care of it, and its in pristine condition. I honestly didn't feel like modding it, not even to improve it. I want to keep that first GBA spotless, with no additional changes.

But thankfully my situation has changed, and thanks to eBay I got my hands on several old, cast-out GBA systems at very reasonable prices. And these dusty, dirty, damaged GBAs are in need of an overhaul. I've put in my order for two of the GBA backlight kits. (one 32 pin and one 40 pin) I went ahead and sprung for two of those scratch-resistant glass lenses. Just couldn't pass that up.

I have new external cases on order from Hong Kong. As soon as they get here I'll crack these units apart and make them shine again. I'll post some before/after shots when I'm finished.

:) Can't wait for that.

Also since I just thought of this have you ever thought of using a 3-d printer to do custom shells or something of that nature.
Way ahead of ya ;)

EB01_zps12cadfd1.jpg

EB03_zps705a35b7.jpg

The last time I inquired about these items, I wasn't in a situation where I could be spending money on a luxury mod like this. I also only had a single original GBA, the first GBA that I ever acquired, the day that the system first launched. I have taken very good care of it, and its in pristine condition. I honestly didn't feel like modding it, not even to improve it. I want to keep that first GBA spotless, with no additional changes.

But thankfully my situation has changed, and thanks to eBay I got my hands on several old, cast-out GBA systems at very reasonable prices. And these dusty, dirty, damaged GBAs are in need of an overhaul. I've put in my order for two of the GBA backlight kits. (one 32 pin and one 40 pin) I went ahead and sprung for two of those scratch-resistant glass lenses. Just couldn't pass that up.

I have new external cases on order from Hong Kong. As soon as they get here I'll crack these units apart and make them shine again. I'll post some before/after shots when I'm finished.
Cool!

A word of advice about the aftermarket shells, toss the buttons and use the originals (just clean em up). They're made of really cheap-o plastic and the R/L buttons sometimes don't even fit and work properly :/

:drool: o my. That's amazing.
No kidding. That is an incredibly hot bit of cartridge love. Make sure you post here when the next batch is ready for ordering, I will jump all over that. And thanks for the tip about the GBA buttons. I'll keep that in mind when I start refurbishing my GBAs. The feel of the buttons is important. I accidentally acquired a few too many GBAs off of eBay. If the first two units I improve turn out well, I might be coming back for more of those kits.

My replacement GBA shells from Hong Kong arrived earlier than I had been expecting! I've got two back-lit ultra-bright screens on order for the two SPs I'm cleaning up. I dismantled one of them last night, cleaned it up, and tested it out. It had come without any battery. (which was why I was able to get it cheap) I had gotten a couple of replacement batteries over the weekend, and tested it out with a fresh cell. Thankfully, it turned on and ran just fine. The screen was all glitchy, but I had been intending to replace that anyway. Once the new screen arrives I'll be able to finish the refurb on the SPs and have two shiny ultra-bright SPs.

The two replacement original GBA shells were also in the package. As soon as wiggyx's kits arrive, I'll be able to finish refurbishing those units. If they get here before Thursday, I'll be able to spend some of the holiday weekend on this project.

Hey Wiggy,

Have you ever made a replacement battery door for a NeoGeo Pocket Color? It seems they are hard to come by, so that might be a good idea of something you can whip up with your magic wand!?!?

Just curious as I am in the market for one, I picked up a cheap NGPC and it was missing the AA battery cover....

The problem with printed parts is that they aren't nearly as durable as injection molded parts, and something like a battery door with a locking tab will be especially difficult to produce in a way that it won't snap the first time you use it :(

You're actually like the 4th person to ask about that. It's a bummer that there are no aftermarket replacements for them :/

Wiggyx, where would you go buy some ribbon cable? After futzing around with my Sega Saturn, I worry that I may mess up the ribbon cable. I imagine I would want a foot long cable, but the specifications on the ribbon state: BANDO-S E66085 AWM 2896.  I've tried finding a 21 pin version, though they probably sell them in varying quantities so I would have to buy one with more pins.

No idea. Those things are usually made for specific applications. But, if you're willing to do some surgery, then SCSI cable is great for repair jobs ;)

Hey Wiggyx, I finished refurbishing one of my GBAs with the kit I ordered from you. It's working well. The finished unit looks great, runs great, and the glass lens in particular is very keen. I'll see about posting some pics over the weekend. I might be refurbishing the other unit over the weekend as well.

Giant switch box is wired up for action!

null_zpse0aeef3b.jpg

Component:

Wii/Wuu

PS3

S-vid:

SNES

Genesis

Dreamcast

Saturn

Composite:

TG-16

null_zps71aad00a.jpg

Well I'm back for the first time since February and this is the only thread I've read though...Congrats on the baby boy Wiggy! Impressive work as always.

Fantastic work wiggyx. That is just a monster, and your TV is scarier to think about. I have a 27ish Trinitron, and it works fine for me, though I have to get it really fixed since the capacitors making a screeching sound.

Do you plan on doing some insane video mods to your systems, like putting a Sony encoder into the SNES to get a sharper S-video image?  And don't forget to get RGB man.

Nothing insane. The SNES mini and Genny 3 are S-vid modded. Based on what I've seen from the Sony encoder mod, I don't think it's worth it. If it were a really simple mod, then I'd do it. But it's a lot of work for what seems to be only a modest upgrade.

I'm never gonna bother with RGB. Just too much hassle to make use of here in the USA IMO :(

I'm not a super nazi when it comes to video quality. I wanna get the best image that I can within reason. At some point the mods become really difficult and sometimes pricey, and the output differences aren't significant enough to convince me to go through the effort. The only sorta PITA mod I still want to do is S-vid on the TG-16. It looks like absolute crap through composite :/

I imagine the TurboGrafix's composite might be as bad as the Sega Saturn.  I wonder if anybody made a mod to fix that, though the S-Video is a lot better.  I had to install a S-Video port in mine, since I didn't know if the 10 pin connector on Digikey was the same for the Saturn.

bread's done
Back