Washington D.C. Metro area.

lurknomore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Old post Edited for effect and max. exposure.....

The 5th DC Metro area CAG Meet-up/Game Swap

Dave & Buster's
White Flint Mall - 3rd Floor
11301 Rockville Pike
North Bethesda , MD 20895

3:00 pm onward ...(we have been going 3 hours+)

Saturday, April 26th

who plans to attend-
thebob101
lurknomore
G-Nitro
jmiller80
MCalvert1
cleaver - unless he is drafted in the 1st round
s0undwav3
abhinav- maybe
FlamingMoogles
GenDV138 - maybe

BTW, we have had minors (-18) join us before at D&B without issue. If you are a minor and wish to attend without your own guardian, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone # if you are concerned...and I'll walk you in. Again, it hasn't been an issue yet.

Any CAGers around here? Really disappointed as the scene pales in comparison to Boston's video gaming scene. Any suggestions or local mom and pop shops? The Maryland-Virginia-DC area seems to be pretty weak.

[quote name='The Great BM']What about MAGfest? I think some of my friends are going to the upcoming one, so I might tag along.[/QUOTE]

I plan to be at Magfest friday night through sunday morning.

MjC

I'm thinking about getting rid of my ps3 80 with the TE fightstick. Also have GT5 and SSFIV that get no playing time. I figured I'd run it by here since I had a couple responses the last time.

[quote name='MCalvert1']I plan to be at Magfest friday night through sunday morning.

MjC[/QUOTE]

You should have gotten Mario from kmart. If you did you'd have it and a $15 game credit. The game is awesome. I hope you get it in time to play some to discuss on the show. MAGFEST!

I'm new to the DC area and looking to sell a bunch of games - would rather sell to a local CAG than to GameStop. Check my list in the marketplace and let me know if you're interested in anything. I'm willing to sell everything I have bc I need money for Christmas presents. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you guys at a meet-up in the future, too!

[quote name='Indifference']You should have gotten Mario from kmart. If you did you'd have it and a $15 game credit. The game is awesome. I hope you get it in time to play some to discuss on the show. MAGFEST![/QUOTE]I would not buy from K-mart because I lack their rewards card to get the deal, and K-Mart is WAY too far out of my way (nearest being either Pasadena, MD or on Wabash Ave in Baltimore).

[quote name='MCalvert1']Amazon is telling me I won't get my Mario until wednesday. Why does Nintendo insist on releases their games on sundays!?

MjC[/QUOTE]So kids don't skip school.

[quote name='jr233270']I'm new to the DC area and looking to sell a bunch of games - would rather sell to a local CAG than to GameStop. Check my list in the marketplace and let me know if you're interested in anything. I'm willing to sell everything I have bc I need money for Christmas presents. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you guys at a meet-up in the future, too![/QUOTE]Welcome to the area.

Was just going to drive back and forth to anime usa but screw it i'm bumming a floor with a group instead. Now I can go to those 1 am panels easier

[quote name='coolsteel']Was just going to drive back and forth to anime usa but screw it i'm bumming a floor with a group instead. Now I can go to those 1 am panels easier[/QUOTE]Hope to see you there. If you see a black Renton Thurston on Saturday (from Eureka Seven), that's me.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Hope to see you there. If you see a black Renton Thurston on Saturday (from Eureka Seven), that's me.[/QUOTE]

Didn't catch you at all man. I heard this year the attendance was four to five thousand but it didn't seem any worse then last year as far as crowding .

[quote name='coolsteel']Didn't catch you at all man. I heard this year the attendance was four to five thousand but it didn't seem any worse then last year as far as crowding .[/QUOTE]
I heard it was 5100. I just wrote a CAG blog on the event. Saw your photos posted on cosplay.com.

I'll link you to my cosplay via PM.

Well next year is a new location which the con needs. just hoping they don't raise prices anymore it was approaching Otakon levels this year and I personally don't feel it should be that high just yet.

You guys ready for the dumbest question ever?
Is anyone done with Skyrim and want to trade it? Let me know. I have a huge collection and I'm sure we can work something out.
My collection on here is pretty up to date, but let me know if you're looking for something in particular.
If we agree to something, depending on where you live, we can meet half-way. I'm in Annapolis.

[quote name='TheLongshot']For those going to MAGFest, today's LivingSocial deal is for $40 at Ketchup, one of the resturants at National Harbor.

https://share.livingsocial.com/deals/173795?ref=conf-jp&rpi=37966942

Feel free to post your referral links after hitting mine.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, here's my referral

https://share.livingsocial.com/deals/173795?ref=conf-jp&rpi=37974966

MCalvert brought this to my attention
Keep the fine print in mind:

Limit one per table per visit • Dine-in only (not valid for takeout or delivery) • Be nice and tip on the pre-discounted total! • Entire value must be used in a single visit • Other conditions apply • PAID VALUE EXPIRES ON November 29, 2016 • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON June 2, 2012

I have a PS3 Saints Row 3: The third.

I would ideally like to trade it for Skyrim for the PS3 or $30 cash.

I live near 16th and P St NW DC.

Who's going to PAX East? Was gonna buy my 3-day pass today, but with hotel prices like they are now, it comes out to hundreds going by myself, I love going to the convention, but that is just to much $ for one trip unless I plan better.

[quote name='nightmare452']Who's going to PAX East? Was gonna buy my 3-day pass today, but with hotel prices like they are now, it comes out to hundreds going by myself, I love going to the convention, but that is just to much $ for one trip unless I plan better.[/QUOTE]

With PAX East falling on Easter weekend, it wasn't even a thought about going. What about Magfest? Are you going?

MjC

[quote name='MCalvert1']With PAX East falling on Easter weekend, it wasn't even a thought about going. What about Magfest? Are you going?

MjC[/QUOTE]

I most likely will go. I preregistered, but haven't paid yet cause I don't know if I'll be in Puerto Rico for the holidays. Parking is a B!#$& there, but I'll go anyway if here.

PAX East is such a bigger event, and I love every second, but I gotta be realistic on what it would end up costing me.

[quote name='nightmare452']I most likely will go. I preregistered, but haven't paid yet cause I don't know if I'll be in Puerto Rico for the holidays. Parking is a B!#$& there, but I'll go anyway if here.

PAX East is such a bigger event, and I love every second, but I gotta be realistic on what it would end up costing me.[/QUOTE]

MAGFest is at a new location this year, the Gaylord near DC, so the horrendous parking and broken elevators shouldn't be a problem this year. Although god help those dumbass elevator party kids if they manage to break ALL of the elevators in the Gaylord....

[quote name='DeskLaser']MAGFest is at a new location this year, the Gaylord near DC, so the horrendous parking and broken elevators shouldn't be a problem this year. Although god help those dumbass elevator party kids if they manage to break ALL of the elevators in the Gaylord....[/QUOTE]

Oh man. After hearing about the Hot Chocolate 15K/5K debacle, I'm not sure if I wanna go there. How many people go to MAGFest, usually?

And I will definitely be going to PAX East this time, come hell or high water.

@The Great BM
I think Magfest last year had over 3000 people. But I could be wrong. What is the Hot Chocolate 15K/5K debacle?
Pax East picked a great weekend for next year. So great that I won't be there.

[quote name='Indifference']@The Great BM
I think Magfest last year had over 3000 people. But I could be wrong. What is the Hot Chocolate 15K/5K debacle?
Pax East picked a great weekend for next year. So great that I won't be there.[/QUOTE]

It was a 15 and 5K race that took place a couple of weeks ago. A large portion of the runners that entered complained that there was not enough space at that venue for the race, and it caused a lot of problems. DCist has a summary of the gripes here.

However, I think the problems were caused more by the event organizers than the venue itself. It appears that they booked too many runners, and the paths they chose were not optimal to handle the crowd. I'm guessing MAGFest won't be as much of an issue, especially since there will be a fraction of the crowd.

Crowd won't be an issue Katsucon has more attendees then Magfest and they manage just fine. Not thrilled with the area due to food pricing no cheap eats that don't involve getting back in the car and going up a few exits.

[quote name='coolsteel']Crowd won't be an issue Katsucon has more attendees then Magfest and they manage just fine. Not thrilled with the area due to food pricing no cheap eats that don't involve getting back in the car and going up a few exits.[/QUOTE]That's my only issue with the Gaylord (being expensive and all in the area), but I do like it being away from things because parking is easy, don't have to deal with much traffic getting in, and the building is pretty large.

I've got a black DS Lite that I'm looking to sell if anyone is interested - also, I have no idea what price is fair so any insight is appreciated. It is in very good condition with no scratches on the screens and no mechanical problems. It comes with the charger, stylus, and the following DS games:

Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Complete)
Pokemon White (Complete)
Super Mario 64 DS (Complete)
Sim City DS (Complete)
Nintendogs: Lab and Friends (Complete)
Mario 3 on 3 Hoops (Cart Only and no cover art)

I also have the following GBA games I am selling with the DS system:

Mario Tennis Power Tour (Cart Only)
Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 (Cart Only)
Mario Gold Advanced Tour (Cart Only)
Sonic Advance (Cart Only)
Zelda: Link to the Past/Four Swords (Cart Only)

Send me a PM if you're interested in buying this bundle or if you have any idea what price I should ask for. I'm in the Georgetown area if looking to buy locally.

Thanks!

There's a 20% off code for Video Games Live at the Strathmore in Bethesda if anyone's interested. Saturday, April 7, 2012. Going to try to make it out!

SPECIAL OFFER FOR FANS OF THE SMITHSONIAN AMERICAN ART MUSEUM
20% Off Tickets to Video Games Live at the Music Center at Strathmore (North Bethesda, MD)

April 7, 2012 at 2 & 8PM
(Order Now! Special Priced Ticket Offer Valid Only Through December 31)

To Order with Discount - 3 Easy Steps
1. Log in or create an account at www.strathmore.org using Source Code 2221.
2. Go to the April 7 on the calendar.
3. Prices will reflect promotional 20% discount. Add tickets to your cart and check out.

[quote name='nightmare452']Who's going to PAX East? Was gonna buy my 3-day pass today, but with hotel prices like they are now, it comes out to hundreds going by myself, I love going to the convention, but that is just to much $ for one trip unless I plan better.[/QUOTE]

I'm going. Got my 3-day pass when they went on sale.

/tk

Hey DC people, just wanted to wish all of you a Merry Christmas, Carefree Kwanza, Happy Hanukkah, a Rambunctious Ramadan (yeah I know a little early), a Terrific Tet and a Happy New Year.

[quote name='GenDV138']I'm undecided on PAX East, but I'll be at MAGFest Friday to Sunday[/QUOTE]

I'm going to both events. It'll be my first video game expo/conventions, so I'm pretty excited to finally get to one.

Btw, do any of you guys know of any good retro/indie video game stores in the area? I live on Ft. Meade, which is kinda in between D.C. and Baltimore, and I haven't been able to find anything good.

I am sure you know about Starland. But there are a cpuple others listed from best to okay

PowerGamerII
6711 Ritchie Highway #259
Glen Burnie, MD

GameBox
3289 Donnell Dr District Heights, MD 20747
(301) 735-2888

Pandora's Cube
8145 Baltimore Avenue
College Park, MD
(301) 474-9711

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I'm going to both events. It'll be my first video game expo/conventions, so I'm pretty excited to finally get to one.

Btw, do any of you guys know of any good retro/indie video game stores in the area? I live on Ft. Meade, which is kinda in between D.C. and Baltimore, and I haven't been able to find anything good.[/QUOTE]

http://www.estarland.com/index.asp?page=StoreLocations

Edit: damn, someone in before me.

I'll be at MAGFest, tho I don't know how much I will actually be there since I'm driving in.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Btw, do any of you guys know of any good retro/indie video game stores in the area? I live on Ft. Meade, which is kinda in between D.C. and Baltimore, and I haven't been able to find anything good.[/QUOTE]

I want to say eStarland in Fairfax, VA, but that's about an hour drive from Ft. Meade. Small store and pretty much same stock as their website, but they've got games for current gen as well as lots of retro system games. Worth checking out if you're ever in the area though.

Edit: Aaron owned me

Thanks for the info, guys. I went to Power Gamer II, and they had some very reasonably priced Dreamcast stuff. Used DCs were $30, and controllers and VMUs were $5 each. The games, however, were overpriced, in my opinion. Most DC games ranged from $15-$30 each, but they did have some pretty cool import titles and some games still in shrink wrap.

Also, what days are you guys going to MAGFest? I think I may go Saturday, and I thought it'd be fun to meet up with some fellow CAGs.

NP. The entire GameEnthus crew, Donnie and I am sure several others will be there from Fri to Sun. I will be posting my itinerary(subject to change) later today. The schedule can be found here.

If anyone out there needs a bed for Magfest, I got a room at the Hampton Inn across the street from the Convention Center for friday and saturday nights. It's stated as having 2 beds and a pullout sofa. BigRob and myself have the 2 beds, so if you:

1) are someone I have met in person before

2) are comfortable on a pullout sofabed

3) are able to chip in a little

...then please PM/email/call/text me and we'll work something out. Hope to see you all there!

MjC

Ind1fference's MAGfest Itinerary

Friday
12-1pm Diversity in Games
1-2pm Jon St. John speaks (voice of Duke Nukem)
2-3pm Blue Core Studios(indie video game movies like Mega Man)
3:30-4:30 Happy Video Game Nerd(HVGC) Q&A
4:30-5:30 Zen & Art of video game reviews
6-7 History of Optimus Prime
7-? Eat, console/arcade play, sleep

Saturday
Eat, free play
11-12pm Grant Kirkhope Q&A (Rare composer, Goldeneye Banjo etc)
1:30-2:30 DarkSydePhil Panel on making a living playing games
2:30-4pm Art of Video Games Smithsonian Panel
or
3-4pm MAGfest Origins
4:30-5:30 Destruction Live
6-7 AVGN
7-12am Free
12-1am The Famicon(Family) Feud

Sunday
Eat, free play
12:30-1:30 Video Games Shouldn't Suck
3-4 Closing Ceremony

I'm still debating on whether or not to go. I have a bunch of obligations through the weekend, but there are large chunks of time where I could theoretically go to the National Harbor. Would it be worth going for a few hours Friday night, Sunday afternoon, and possibly Saturday morning/late night?

[quote name='The Great BM']I'm still debating on whether or not to go. I have a bunch of obligations through the weekend, but there are large chunks of time where I could theoretically go to the National Harbor. Would it be worth going for a few hours Friday night, Sunday afternoon, and possibly Saturday morning/late night?[/QUOTE]

Check the schedule http://magfestubersystem.com/magfest/schedule/ and see what interests you most. That should help you make up your mind.

MjC

I'm really debating whether I want to come on Friday or save my time off and go to work. Really, the only thing that interests me is the Jon St John talk. It also sucks that there are no panels after 6. It doesn't help that I don't know the band schedule.

[quote name='coolsteel']You aren't making very strong argument for why you should go LOL[/QUOTE]

No I'm not, which is why I'm fishing for reasons why I should.

[quote name='coolsteel']Skip it , spend that 40 dollars that would have gone to a one day badge and buy some Duke Nukem games[/QUOTE]

That money is already spent. I prereged for the weekend, mainly because I want to see Nobuo Uematsu on Saturday. It is really the only reason why I prereged.

bread's done
Back