Washington Post flames Gamecube

[quote name='RedvsBlue']What's funny is they say the Gamecube is obsolete because of lack of titles and then all they mention for Xbox (which they say is PS2's equal) is Halo 2.[/quote]

Nothing else to mention...except Halo.

While there are a few current and upcoming Gamecube games I want, I would guess that about 80% of the upcoming games I want are for the Xbox or PC. The last Gamecube game I played was Tales of Symphonia.
I cant wait for Zelda or Mario though.

I like my cube, but upcoming games are just more of the same. Although I'm really glad they're making this Zelda, I hope nintendo come to their senses and start including some voice acting.

[quote name='DenisDFat']
there is so much wrong in this, i do not know where to start.

I'll start by saying this is dumb.[/quote]

denis do not take this the wrong way, but you need to better utilize your vocabulary.

there are SO many words that would have had much better impact than the word dumb there, but saying dumb made your point sound immature, when i dont feel it was ment to be.

words can be powerful when used properly.

[quote name='Snake2715']I am going to leave this alone...

Quality NOT Quantity...[/quote]
i am so tired of nintendo saying that...what is quality to them?

we get at most 3 quality first party games from them a year if we are lucky....

[quote name='msdmoney']Well I disagree that the cube is obsolete, and to say it has had nothing recent come out is just wrong. Metroid Prime 2 and Paper Mario 2 are great games. The cube does have considerably less games, but it isn't obsolete.[/quote]

i agree, its not useless, sure it lacks in titles but the ones it has are pure gold compared to like a few hundred of the ps2 games which are just as good as the juice from a soggy sack of dicks

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777'][quote name='msdmoney']Well I disagree that the cube is obsolete, and to say it has had nothing recent come out is just wrong. Metroid Prime 2 and Paper Mario 2 are great games. The cube does have considerably less games, but it isn't obsolete.[/quote]

i agree, its not useless, sure it lacks in titles but the ones it has are pure gold compared to like a few hundred of the ps2 games which are just as good as the juice from a soggy sack of dicks[/quote]

yes I have a ps2, and I like the games that I bought for it, just to clarify i didnt mean all the games suck, just like about a hundred or so totally lick balls....enter the matrix....robin hood defender of the crown.......

my thoughts are just that nintendo has good first part games, but they are all remakes of the same games for every console. i can only take so many mario tennis games. i own all three systems, and ps2 definately has the most good exclusive titles, the xbox is good for getting multiplatform games because it usually has the best version. I would be happy to see nintendo become a third party, and maybe stick to just making handheld systems. I cant wait to see what the next mario sport game is, MARIO BADMINTON PERHAPS?!?!

[quote name='6669']Well I still love my Gamecube :)[/quote]

That's the spirit. I have all 3 systems but I don't usually play favorites. I go through periods where I prefer playing one over the others but they all have things about them that I like. I like my cube for the nintendo first party games. I like my ps2 for a wide variety of games (mgs and gta in particular). I like my XBox for the microsoft first party games (like Halo, Links, and MechAssaault).

You just have to pick and choose what you want because each system has their own pluses and minuses. Like I pointed out before on this thread, this article is crap, simply because their supporting evidence for their argument is extremely weak.

[quote name='cthcky33']my thoughts are just that nintendo has good first part games, but they are all remakes of the same games for every console. i can only take so many mario tennis games. i own all three systems, and ps2 definately has the most good exclusive titles, the xbox is good for getting multiplatform games because it usually has the best version. I would be happy to see nintendo become a third party, and maybe stick to just making handheld systems. I cant wait to see what the next mario sport game is, MARIO BADMINTON PERHAPS?!?![/quote]

Actually they just announced Mario Baseball last week. I'm quite excited to get it.

...this article is crap, simply because their supporting evidence for their argument is extremely weak

but it's not even really an article, it's just copy filler. I blind monkey could have randomly pressed keys and come up with that 'article' in less time than it takes to get dominoes delivered.

Nintendo doesn't seem to care very much, they're the ones making money while MS is still losing $$ hand over fist no matter how many Xboxes or games are sold. Who's the bitch now?

I bought a Cube becauase of my 5 year old son's love for all things mario, donkey kong, and Pokemon. Although I'm a little sick of Mario tennis, mario golf, mario paper, mario sunshine, mario, cart, mario skeetshoot, mario deathmatch, and mario re-hash, I love breaking out Super Smash Brother for a good-old-fashoned butt busting brawl. They must know what they're doing because every 5 year old kid I come in contact with knows who Link, Charizard, Diddy kong, and Samus are.

In 2-3 more years I KNOW i'll be buying some sort of Nintendo console. But god as my witness, I'm NOT buying another incarnation of Mario Cart. I'm really sick of re-purchasing all the same shit they've been doing for 20 years. I think I'm starting to see DennisDfat's angle more and more every day.

Anyway, who cares who's winning said imaginary war. Count the reciepts and at the end of the day, Nintendo 's sitting on a pile of cash. Although it may not be the biggest pile, it still spends.

But the new Mario Kart was a blast...

Let's not get hasty here either, DennisDFat's point of view is never the answer.

[quote name='bmulligan']...I'm a little sick of Mario tennis, mario golf, mario paper, mario sunshine, mario, cart, mario skeetshoot, mario deathmatch, and mario re-hash,...[/quote]

Same here. Thats my complaint with nintendo. Come up with some new characters! Oh ya, and a new controller too.

Very interesting whats going on here with the GCN. It seems the press is trying really hard to make it known that Xbox has GCN beat. GCN (in the presses eyes at least) is losing the console "race". What intresting is that instead of focusing how close the WORLD race is (GCN is up by a slight lead) they chose to sacrifce 1 product. Same thing happened with the Dreamcast, but with the Dreamcast it turned to fact. I don't see that happening with the GCN, it will stay in 2nd overall in the world (if by a small margin) and its loyal fanbase will probably carry it through until 2006. Miicrosoft on the other hand is being pretty damn stupid. It seems obvious that they are intent on bring Xbox 2 to us in 2005. I know I'm not buying it, Xbox still has some long legs (perhaps the most lastability of the three) and Microsoft seems to want to kill the Xbox off before it can run its natural cycle. GameCube is getting the games (and the sales) that its needs to survive (if not in America... in the world). Don't believe the hype.

And about all the "mario" games. Name a bad one. Name one that has a score lower than 80% on Gamerankings. The only one I can think of is MArio Pinball Land. I understand the want to more "original" franchises. But when the underlying game is innovative and original, I say go for it. Regardless of what you say, Mario Sunshine's Water Pak was innovative (and dare I say it... liberating)., Mario Tennis's use of powers and gimmick courts is innovative, and Paper Marios audience feature is innovative.

If you want a great non-Mario GCN titles, take a look at Baten Kaitos, or Tales of Symphonia, or the Pikmin series for that matter. I get the feeling that Nintendo is held up to some higher "innovation" standard than the other game companies. The fact of the matter is that when it does release REALLY innovative stuff... its gets blasted (Cel-da).

The fact of the matter is that when it does release REALLY innovative stuff... its gets blasted (Cel-da).

Celda was not innovative. It's a repackage. And I'm starting to buy into that Zelda theory posted earlier. They coud just updat OOT a little and just make it cell-shaded. Yeah, that would be a lot faster to produce, and cheaper. We could call it "stylized". Then we could release a realistic Zelda game 2 years later and milk some more money out of people. But wait, we already did a Starfox game that was an exact copy of Zelda and it was realistically rendered. Oh well, the fans won't care 'cause this one will have real-looking Link in it. Yeah, that'll work just fine.

But seriously, mario cart is the same game as mario cart 64. Mario golf is an average golf game with mario. Glad I didn't pay $50 bucks, that would have been a big ripoff. I'd expect Mario tennis to be in the same vein. Stop milking me Nintendo, maybe then you'd get more loyalty.

Regardless, it's clear that Nintendo isn't "out of it". As stated before, they turn profits.

[quote name='bignick'][quote name='bmulligan']...I'm a little sick of Mario tennis, mario golf, mario paper, mario sunshine, mario, cart, mario skeetshoot, mario deathmatch, and mario re-hash,...[/quote]

Same here. Thats my complaint with nintendo. Come up with some new characters! Oh ya, and a new controller too.[/quote]

Seriously! Nintendo's lineup is like shampoo directions; Wash, Rinse, Repeat. Every year it's the same game with a fresh coat of paint. :roll:

[quote name='CappyCobra'][quote name='bignick'][quote name='bmulligan']...I'm a little sick of Mario tennis, mario golf, mario paper, mario sunshine, mario, cart, mario skeetshoot, mario deathmatch, and mario re-hash,...[/quote]

Same here. Thats my complaint with nintendo. Come up with some new characters! Oh ya, and a new controller too.[/quote]

Seriously! Nintendo's lineup is like shampoo directions; Wash, Rinse, Repeat. Every year it's the same game with a fresh coat of paint. :roll:[/quote]

On the contrary, every year its different games with the same coat of paint.

The games are usually very fresh, its only the characters that are the same.

[quote name='CappyCobra'][quote name='bignick'][quote name='bmulligan']...I'm a little sick of Mario tennis, mario golf, mario paper, mario sunshine, mario, cart, mario skeetshoot, mario deathmatch, and mario re-hash,...[/quote]

Seriously! Nintendo's lineup is like shampoo directions; Wash, Rinse, Repeat. Every year it's the same game with a fresh coat of paint. :roll:[/quote]

Wait a second isn't that a Street Fighter character in your signature and avatar? Hmm now that is a serious where every game is drastically different than the previous version.

well, you could say the same thing for the PS2 too. Oh look another Tony Hark game, another Madden, another Rachet, another Spyro, GTA, Crash, Final Fantasy. Xbox doesn't have the history to compare too. Bu they will...

actually, it really isn't console specific. Games are really all the same rehashes of each other. Zelda is atari adventure repackaged.

[quote name='bmulligan']well, you could say the same thing for the PS2 too. Oh look another Tony Hark game, another Madden, another Rachet, another Spyro, GTA, Crash, Final Fantasy. Xbox doesn't have the history to compare too. Bu they will...

actually, it really isn't console specific. Games are really all the same rehashes of each other. Zelda is atari adventure repackaged.[/quote]

Bingo! Pick a game and you can find a game that it was probably inspired by. With the exception of something like Katamari Damacy.

Too lazy to quote, but marios water pak was NOT liberating, it destroyed the basis of any mario game, which is the jumping. My favorite levels in that game were the ones where they took away the water pak, because it was back to the basis of mario. But, to everyone whos bashing mario kart, what do you expect them to do, redefine racing? They have made changes in each following episode that expand on the game. 64 had 3d graphics, 4 players and a great battle mode with a wide range of weapons. MK:DD added a second player to the kart, which might seem like a minor change but it adds a huge amount of strategy to the game with each player having their own special, and two characters allowing you to store two items.

What I think is the reason that Nintendo usually gets owned in the media is cause they don't have that one game that sells ridiculous amounts of copies and caters to the "mainstream" audience. Since GC doesn't have its GTA or HALO, all the news say crap like its obsolete. Basically it needs a system seller for the mainstream, thats when we'd see it finally get respect.

[quote name='punqsux']
cult_ep2.jpg

GAMECUBE!!! YOU ARE OBSOLETE!!!![/quote]

LOL

I wonder if anyone else got your Twilight Zone references? BTW that's an awesome episode, definately one of the clasics and Burgess Meredith rocks!

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Wait a second isn't that a Street Fighter character in your signature and avatar? Hmm now that is a serious where every game is drastically different than the previous version.[/quote]

You are correct Son. That is Akuma from StreetFighter II Turbo (Alas, that series went downhill after that). The game the pushed me over the edge and created a gaming addict.

So what that my Avatar comes from one of the biggest rehashed series of all? It is a trubute to my entry in to being a full fledged gamer.

Funny how Capcom's RE series/new sequels are exclusive to GameCube. I couldn't pick a better system to REHASH a series.

just a thought, but it would be cool if nintendo would make a mature rated game for once, because i dont think they ever have

Obviously, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I dont think Mario Sunshine was NEARLY as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I think the only complaint I could have about it was that its seemed more like a vacation (simply because the entire tropical theme). Hell I even liked the completely manual camera.

Anyways... back to Nintendo. Nintendo's problem is VERY simple. MARKETING. Thats it. MP2 isnt a massive mainstream hit for 1 reason... MP1 marketing didn;t make the series a crazy mainstream must-have. Obviously, this brings up the questions if Ninetendo even needs to be mainstream to survive (I say no). But to be mainstream, Nintendo marketing needs to be better. The brand needs to become known not as a relic of the past, but as a hip, new brand. I'm more surprised that Nintendo hasn't capitalize on this whole retro videogame movement (see Hot Topic Stores). THe people at Leo Burnett (nintendo's ad firm) seem to be beginning getting this. The DS commercials are simply amazing, and that new FF1&2 commercial is badass as well. If the DS marketing is any indication of Nintendo's marketing future... the future looks bright. Its not a matter of growning up as a game maker (i.e. making more "mature" games), it is a matter of growning up as a marketer (and advertiser). Nintendo's content is not the problem for the mainstream (ex. SSB:M is STILL begin played in colleges and frathouses around the nation... content isnt the problem)

[quote name='cthcky33']they are making RE4 for ps2 also, probly because the sales of RE type games arent good on GC[/quote]

Perhaps because they have all been rehashing so far?

I am a gamecube only owner and I am looking forward to playing RE4, but I have never considered any of the other games because they were all remakes.

[quote name='cthcky33']just a thought, but it would be cool if nintendo would make a mature rated game for once, because i dont think they ever have[/quote]

When they owned Rare they put all offensive games out through rare (ex. Conkers Bad Furday).

(I will not use the term "mature" for what are really offensive games)

sure, every console has sequals, but every fucking nintendo game has mario, luigi, fonky knog or some other nintendo character from 20 years ago. Thats the problem I have with it. Sure the games are some what original, but the characters have to go.

[quote name='chunk'][quote name='cthcky33']they are making RE4 for ps2 also, probly because the sales of RE type games arent good on GC[/quote]

Perhaps because they have all been rehashing so far?

I am a gamecube only owner and I am looking forward to playing RE4, but I have never considered any of the other games because they were all remakes.[/quote]

if you have not played the REmake you are missing out on a truely great game.

It may be a rehashing, but that does not deter the fact that the game is flat out amazing

[quote name='bignick']sure, every console has sequals, but every shaq-fuing nintendo game has mario, luigi, fonky knog or some other nintendo character from 20 years ago. Thats the problem I have with it. Sure the games are some what original, but the characters have to go.[/quote]
perhaps they just need to be reinvented?
companies loved doing this in the late 80s early 90s.

make mario a pimp
peach, his hoe
luigi an up and comming rapper
bowser, a a gang leader
make all the goobmas say "yo" alot

and it sounds like a winner to me XoD

[quote name='int80h']Nintendo needs an ambiguously gay man in green armour. I hear they sell lots of systems.[/quote]:rofl:

[quote name='int80h']Nintendo needs an ambiguously gay man in green armour. I hear they sell lots of systems.[/quote]

It sells just fine with the Oreo's and milk thankyou! :whistle2:D

[quote name='CaseyRyback']

It may be a rehashing, but that does not deter the fact that the game is flat out amazing[/quote]

Actually there are some fundamental flaws that make me dislike the original games (mainly the sucky controls). These flaws have not been fixed in the remake, so I'm not interested.

RE4 has me interested for two reasons:
1. I hear they completely changed the control scheme.
2. There are QTEs (which I love).

[quote name='int80h']Nintendo needs an ambiguously gay man in green armour. I hear they sell lots of systems.[/quote]

j0o got 2 typ3 lik3 t3h Halo fanboyz do wh3n you play th3m onlinze

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='bignick']sure, every console has sequals, but every shaq-fuing nintendo game has mario, luigi, fonky knog or some other nintendo character from 20 years ago. Thats the problem I have with it. Sure the games are some what original, but the characters have to go.[/quote]

make mario a pimp
peach, his hoe
bowser, a a gang leader

and it sounds like a winner to me XoD[/quote]

Question, whats XoD mean?

I would hate that if they thugged out mario. I would just like to see something different.

[quote name='chunk'][quote name='CaseyRyback']

It may be a rehashing, but that does not deter the fact that the game is flat out amazing[/quote]

Actually there are some fundamental flaws that make me dislike the original games (mainly the sucky controls). These flaws have not been fixed in the remake, so I'm not interested.

RE4 has me interested for two reasons:
1. I hear they completely changed the control scheme.
2. There are QTEs (which I love).[/quote]

the controls may suck, but look beyond them. The game is truely that good, and after a while you get used to the controls and they are far less of a problem

I probably beat the game 8 times, because it is that damn good

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='bignick']sure, every console has sequals, but every shaq-fuing nintendo game has mario, luigi, fonky knog or some other nintendo character from 20 years ago. Thats the problem I have with it. Sure the games are some what original, but the characters have to go.[/quote]

make mario a pimp
peach, his hoe
bowser, a a gang leader

and it sounds like a winner to me XoD[/quote]

You, sir, are a brilliant man. This way they can capitalize on the young hip crowd while at the same time banking on brand loyalty and known franchise characters. Additionally, the fresh feel would encourage people to try the games. Half of nintendo's problem is that people perceive that the games are rehashed because the characters are rehashed. If people actually played the games then they would realize that they are quite original.

The only problem is that the "Pimp" image would alienate the soccer mom crowd, which nintendo holds in high esteem.

Perhaps there is some sort of compromise which is edgy and clever like the pimp without being offensive.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']
the controls may suck, but look beyond them. The game is truely that good, and after a while you get used to the controls and they are far less of a problem

I probably beat the game 8 times, because it is that damn good[/quote]

I don't know. Good controls are one of the most important things that I look for in a game.

The only game that was ever good enough to make me overlook poor controls was Shenmue.

[quote name='bignick']
I would hate that if they thugged out mario. I would just like to see something different.[/quote]

The problem is that using completely unknown characters is risky.

Customers generally don't like to spend $50 on something that is completely foreign to them.

GTA only became popular by luck.

[quote name='chunk'][quote name='bignick']
I would hate that if they thugged out mario. I would just like to see something different.[/quote]

The problem is that using completely unknown characters is risky.

Customers generally don't like to spend $50 on something that is completely foreign to them.

GTA only became popular by luck.[/quote]

Very true, but seeing all of the same characters really turned me off.

[quote name='chunk'][quote name='bignick']

GTA only became popular by luck.[/quote] you forgot about violent acts while roaming around in a city.

[quote name='Theenternal'] you forgot about violent acts while roaming around in a city.[/quote]

No I didn't. GTA 1 and 2 had violent acts while roaming around in a city and were nowhere near as popular.

There are probably thousands of other games that also had this same feature before GTA3, but none of them had enough luck to charm the fickle gaming public.

Nintendo already has someone close to that, except he wears a green tunic and hangs around with fairies. Sounds pretty gay to me.

i wish they all release a multiplatform game that has all of the systems main characters. i would love to see mario rescue the princess from master chief and solid snake.... HAHAHA

bread's done
Back