Wasteland 2 "pre-order" - $15 on Kickstarter

rsrlawman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Wasteland is the 1988 predecessor of the Fallout Series, and Brian Fargo who originally created both Wasteland and Fallout has announced Wasteland 2 via Kickstarter. In just 2 days, they've already surpassed the $900,000 goal to produce the game, so it will definitely get made. Obviously, there is no release date at this time and don't expect to get it any time soon.

For $15, you get a digital copy of the game. I expect it will be at least double that on Steam when it comes out, if not your typical $59.99. I think using Kickstarter to fund the production of a game and thereby bypassing the influence exerted by the mega-studios is the coolest concept. Now Wasteland 2 will be developed completely for the fans rather than being watered down for a mainstream CoD/Halo audience. Love it!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

Is a console version, (disc-based or arcade game), planned? My PC is now residing in the closet, suffering from an issue with it's power supply/motherboard. If this comes to Xbox 360, I'll snag it up, especially for $15.

[quote name='preston181']Is a console version, (disc-based or arcade game), planned? My PC is now residing in the closet, suffering from an issue with it's power supply/motherboard. If this comes to Xbox 360, I'll snag it up, especially for $15.[/QUOTE]

Negative - they said that no console version is planned since they want to spec it to the computer to maximize player experience on the compuer platform.

[quote name='blitztwn36']Negative - they said that no console version is planned since they want to spec it to the computer to maximize player experience on the compuer platform.[/QUOTE]

With Obsidian being involved now I wouldn't rule a console version at some point out. I know Brian said no, but that was also in the beginning and I don't think he thought he was going to get as much money as he did.

That being said, if someone does not have an available PC to play it on and is set on only playing it on a console, I would not recommend giving money for the Kickstarter.

If the game ends up doing really well sales wise in both pre and post release I can't see them not wanting to do a console version, particularly if they end up using one of the game engines that Obsidian has used in recent years like Onyx or Gamebryo because those should be no big deal to port to consoles.

Pledged $250 a few days ago. Can't pass up an autographed copy of the CE plus a digital copy and various other rewards! This game has already climbed to one of my most anticipated titles as I'm confident that it will turn out to be an amazing RPG, and one well worth the wait and entry price.

There's no reason why it can't get a console version. The focus on PC is good for a small team but a port wouldn't hurt anything if they have more resources and time.

[quote name='Motoki']With Obsidian being involved now I wouldn't rule a console version at some point out. I know Brian said no, but that was also in the beginning and I don't think he thought he was going to get as much money as he did.

That being said, if someone does not have an available PC to play it on and is set on only playing it on a console, I would not recommend giving money for the Kickstarter.

If the game ends up doing really well sales wise in both pre and post release I can't see them not wanting to do a console version, particularly if they end up using one of the game engines that Obsidian has used in recent years like Onyx or Gamebryo because those should be no big deal to port to consoles.[/QUOTE]

I don't know--I still don't see there being a large market on consoles for a turn-based tactical RPG that doesn't feature doe-eyed characters and have the words "final" and "fantasy" in the title.

The new goal is to surpass $3 million. If they do they are going to release mod tools so people can add on their own maps and stories to the game!

Meh I am still mulling over it, but the sticking point for me is the steep entry price for the beta. Double Fine gave beta access at the entry level of $15. I think $75 is too much to ask as the minimum to get beta access. It is going to be a long time before the final product is released and having more people in the beta actually benefits the developer since there's a much greater chance of finding more problems that way.

$3 million will be pretty hard to reach in 68 hours left that the kickstarter has. They are a tad over $500,000 shy.

I too wish the $15 pledge would have beta access, but I probably would be too lazy to play it anyways. The last four or so betas I've been invited/signed up for, I've only played one past 30 minutes and that was Star Wars the Old Republic.

Actually the minimum to get the Beta is the all digital $55 package. Basically you'd be paying for a full priced game that also comes with digital artbook, digital soundtrack, Novellas 1&2, beta, and digital copy of the game.

[quote name='Motoki']Meh I am still mulling over it, but the sticking point for me is the steep entry price for the beta. Double Fine gave beta access at the entry level of $15. I think $75 is too much to ask as the minimum to get beta access. It is going to be a long time before the final product is released and having more people in the beta actually benefits the developer since there's a much greater chance of finding more problems that way.[/QUOTE]

You prefer chapter experience or the full story experience? Personally, I wouldn't want to play the beta and ruin the whole entire experience for me, or try to influence them how the story will turn out.

Bummer 22 hrs left and sitting at $2.7 and 56k backers. I had hope that there were more RPG fans > Adventure fan. Would have been nice to see them with much bigger budget for cinematic

[quote name='Sharkey1337']Actually the minimum to get the Beta is the all digital $55 package. Basically you'd be paying for a full priced game that also comes with digital artbook, digital soundtrack, Novellas 1&2, beta, and digital copy of the game.[/QUOTE]

It actually was $75 to start for the beta at one time. I even posed the question on the Kickstarter and Brian himself wrote back to me and confirmed $75 (at the time) was the min for beta. I see he must have updated it with the $55 level. I still think it's a bit much personally to ask as a min for beta access and I'm not really interested in digital extras.

[quote name='appleyum']You prefer chapter experience or the full story experience? Personally, I wouldn't want to play the beta and ruin the whole entire experience for me, or try to influence them how the story will turn out.
[/QUOTE]

Since I hypothetically would be paying for something I would prefer something relatively soon over nothing until a long way off, especially given the fact that none of these projects are 100% guaranteed to go to completion. I'm not saying they won't but you never know. I'd feel better with sooner access to something than later.

Also, like I said before more people in the beta really does help the developer. It's not just some gift to withhold back for more money as some extra prize, it can actually be work sometimes for the player if you are approaching it from a tester mentality. I am actually one of the people who does test and report things in betas.

Anyway, unless he does an 11th hour change of heart on the beta access and lowers it the entrance fee for it, I am going to pass on this.

Oh and lastly don't count this project out for more funding yet since he may pull a Double Fine and let people continue to contribute via Paypal after the Kickstarter time has run out. Personally, I feel like this ultimately damages Kickstarters in the long term since deadline and exclusive need to mean something, but I expressed that opinion on their private forum and was mostly drowned out by the sea of people who think that Double Fine should continue to collect funds infinitely.

Also Brian may get some funds for Wasteland from other sources; we'll see.

Anyway, I will continue to keep an eye on this project and if it ends up looking promising I will probably buy the finished product down the road at some point.

I hope this catches on personally. I mena yea its odd to fund a game being made, BUT if you get a copy of the final product for putting down a measely $15, for a game that will probably debut at twice that, it seems reasonable to me. when I get home from work tonight I'll throw down $15 as I absolutely love turn based games of any kind.

Here's hoping a kickstarter for a Gladius 2 is in the works somewhere. But knowing Lucasarts, probably not.

Edit: Also if their goal was $900,000 and they're at over 2 million... I think we're in good shape. I mean the game isn't going to be super amazing graphics like blockbuster hit games, but with already twice their initial investment goal, I think they're set.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GrimmTrixX']
Here's hoping a kickstarter for a Gladius 2 is in the works somewhere. But knowing Lucasarts, probably not.

Edit: Also if their goal was $900,000 and they're at over 2 million... I think we're in good shape. I mean the game isn't going to be super amazing graphics like blockbuster hit games, but with already twice their initial investment goal, I think they're set.[/QUOTE]

Gladius 2? Hell yea.

And seriously, 2.7 million is massive, and far more than they expected. This is gonna be old-school awesome.

Bump with 11 hours to go and almost to 2.8 milllion, c'mon people, time to put down $15 for what's sure to be an AWESOME old-school RPG not seen since the likes of Fallout and PS:T!!

So I have $50 pledged at the moment but I'm getting kind of confused. How much do I need to pledge to get a physical copy of the game AND beta access?

[quote name='fakero']So I have $50 pledged at the moment but I'm getting kind of confused. How much do I need to pledge to get a physical copy of the game AND beta access?[/QUOTE]

Looks like $55 to me

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']It's 75 if you want a physical copy of the game.[/QUOTE]

My bad, you're right. Doesn't look like it'll hit 3 million on Kickstarter though unless there's a few giant donations right at the end. Wish I could up my pledge, but $250 is already a lot for a game I won't see for over a year

[quote name='AFC']My bad, you're right. Doesn't look like it'll hit 3 million on Kickstarter though unless there's a few giant donations right at the end. Wish I could up my pledge, but $250 is already a lot for a game I won't see for over a year[/QUOTE]

It'll hit it. And don't forget the paypal money too, last I knew that was another $100k.

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']It's 75 if you want a physical copy of the game.[/QUOTE]

Uhhh...

Pledge $50 or more

7797 Backers
One digital copy and one full LARGE BOXED COPY OF WASTELAND 2, complete with worn cloth game map and old school instruction book. Also features the digital soundtrack and digital concept art book from previous award. Also receive an early release episodic Novella (Part 1) on the Wasteland 2 world created by Mike Stackpole, a member of the original Wasteland story team. The Novella will give hints and clues being built into the actual Wasteland 2 game. (Please add $15 for international shipping)

As someone who played the original Wastelend back in the day on my old Commodore 64 - I would definitely recommend that anyone who is a fan of party-based RPGs (especially those that played any of the old school variants) hop on board and go for at least the $15 Kickstarter funding level.

Of all the games I played back then - this was one that stuck with me until today. I remember some of the best friends I have now (people I met in college) talking about Wasteland, and I was amazed that anyone else had even heard of it before. Growing up in a small town, there weren't too many other people that played RPGs like this - much less had a C-64 :) And I never, ever thought a sequel would ever happen! It really changed my perception of what a video game could be.

I know that some folks are hesitant about putting down money for a game, site unseen...and I'm the first to admit this might not be for everyone. But it's clearly a work of passion for everyone involved - both the developers and Kickstarter funders...so I have faith that they will do an awesome job. Plus - the lower funding levels are an amazing value, that I think should really appeal to the CAG in all of us. In particular, the newly added $30 tier includes as much content as some of the "special editions" that we see today that regularly sell for between $80-100 or more.

I love the fact that they're looking to the community for direct input and feedback...admittedly they're maintaining creative control (while they should be) - they clearly want this to be something that the gaming world will remember...as I clearly remember the original some 23 years later!

Anyway - I'm not sure this did anything for those on the fence...but if you're thinking about it, I'd definitely recommend taking the plunge. I honestly feel that this (along with the Double Fine project) has the ability to change how games are made...giving developers and fans more control so we get the games we REALLY want. If you've ever had a "lost" game that you dream of a sequel for...that you fear will never get made - this is finally a chance to speak directly to those folks to let them know this model can work.

Who knows - you may get that game you've been dreaming of...and you might not have to wait 23 years for it to get made anymore! ;)

Alas, I've only got $11 in my paypal account right now. So it looks like I'll have to wait until Wasteland 2 gets released next year to buy it. :(

I guess I shouldn't have bought Legend Of Grimlock the other day. Sure wish it was possible to increase your donation after the kickstarter phase ends.

[quote name='AFC'][quote name='inm8num2']Uhhh...[/QUOTE]He meant it's $75 for a physical copy and access to the beta[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sorry about any confusion I caused... Its not often I quote a quote on this forum and forgot that one the text from the most recent post carried over. :)

[quote name='AFC']Doesn't look like it'll hit 3 million on Kickstarter though unless there's a few giant donations right at the end. Wish I could up my pledge, but $250 is already a lot for a game I won't see for over a year[/QUOTE]

You've done more than your fair share, everyone who donated has, so I wouldn't stress over it.... Hopefully, it will make it (its about 127K short right now so I doubt it will, at least with just kickstarter funds) and if it doesn't hopefully its so close they go ahead and release the modding tools... Considering the passion involved I can honestly see them doing it out of pure gratitude.

Anyhow, I pledged 100 dollars. Which, likely seems very silly considering I never played the original (It was just a bit before my time. I got my first PC in 91 or 92 and never had a commodore.) but I've played, and loved, so many games that drew influence from it (Fallout, Fallout 2, and to a lesser extent I guess X-Com, Jagged Alliance 2, and the many D&D games that Interplay did) that it was a pretty easy sale.

I really miss this genre... I use to consider myself a PC gamer but as the years passed I've found myself drawn more and more by consoles to the point I'm pretty much game exclusively on console anymore and modern PC games just don't really seem to do anything for me. I would much rather play an 'inferior' version of... say. Battlefield 3 with a gamepad than be stuck with a keyboard. (Heresy, I know, but still true and I've spent over a grand a year or so ago to learn this.. I have a hugely powerful PC but it basically remains untouched because of the WASD control scheme.) So to this day when I think PC game I think of all these old great game and a genre that has all but been left for dead in a Wasteland by publishers.

[quote name='warreni']I don't know--I still don't see there being a large market on consoles for a turn-based tactical RPG that doesn't feature doe-eyed characters and have the words "final" and "fantasy" in the title.[/QUOTE]

Will know the answer to this later this year after XCom: Enemy Unknown releases.

INMATEofARKHAM, I've done the same--upped my pledge to $100 yesterday after seeing the improvements to the $30 pack. That was the final tip to believe they're really in this whole-hog, and even though the original was slightly before my time, Fallout 1 & 2 came out right when I was old enough to figure out games with that kind of complexity. 2 digital copies plus a collector's boxed version plus named in the credits for $100 is a good deal I think. Even if the game isn't quite up to the lofty expectations many are dreaming up, that's more "goods" than most collector's editions for about the same price (same as Diablo 3 at least).

I was the same re: PC to Console until I got an DVI to HDMI cord and a 360 pad receiver for my PC. Now I enjoy paying half price or less on PC ports on Steam and still getting the same big-screen experience as I have with my PS3 and 360. Since I hooked up my PC to my 46" HDTV about 5 months ago, I've gone from being mostly 360 and PS3 to mostly PC and PS3 (Dark Souls, White Knight Chronicles 2, and Catherine--unable to play those on PC . . . though Dark Souls will be there this Fall, surprise surprise).

Hope they make $3mil . . . think it's jumped, what, $200,000 in the last 24 hours? They might do it. Hopefully good news to wake up to :)

It's already past $3 mil, if you include paypal. And with 90 min to go and $2.91 mil at Kickstarter it may hit $3 mil on its own.

[quote name='Rohsiph']I was the same re: PC to Console until I got an DVI to HDMI cord and a 360 pad receiver for my PC.[/QUOTE]This is on my to due/buy list but I've never gotten around to it as I pretty much need a 40 foot HDMI cable to do it right. (aka in a cosmetically pleasing maner that the wife doesn't mind)

I know the cable is cheaper online but its still not that cheap... and I'm really not sure how much that would change my habits. I'm not a big fan of Steam, having had more issues with it than with GFWL and, to be honest, and I really do enjoy physical media.

And allot of time gamepad support doesn't exist. I have the Witcher 2 (PC), but want to get through the first one but I've not seen any real gamepad controls (and certainly not any well thought out by someone who played the game allot) and as I said... My WASD skills blow and much of the enjoyment is lost. (I should just dropped the difficulty, look for advantage giving mods, and just fumble my way through it once in for all.)

Anyhow, enough about me... :)

[quote name='keithp']It's already past $3 mil, if you include paypal. And with 90 min to go and $2.91 mil at Kickstarter it may hit $3 mil on its own.[/QUOTE]

Yup, they reported it via twiter an hour or so ago! :applause:

http://twitter.com/#!/BrianFargo/status/192189853885149184

....and Kickstarter is OVER!

$2,933,147
pledged of $900,000 goal
seconds to go
This project will be funded on Tuesday Apr 17, 8:05am EDT.
You're a Backer

Good going everyone! Now the long wait begins..

Not a big fan of funding something that only has concept art done as far as I can tell. Either way, it would be to late for me to fund anyways.

Wish I'd seen this sooner! I love kickstarter (use it for boardgames! :D ), but somehow missed this by a day. :( Ah well, I love Fallout, but I don't even have a good computer to play games on, yet.

damn... wanted to donate $15.. forgot to, now it's already done. lol oh well i guess I'll wait til its out and just get it like a normal sucker. I love this style of gameplay.

[quote name='AFC']You can still preorder the digital version at their store for $20 if you want.

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/store[/QUOTE]

Apparently this is going to be the standard with Kickstarters that the deadline really doesn't mean a lot and they will keep taking money via Paypal. Double Fine has also done thig.

I mean you can call it a pre-order but this game is so far from release stage that really it's just Kickstarter/alpha funding from a different source.

I guess there's the argument that more money means better game etc and maybe there is something to that, but in my personal opinion without at least some closed cooling off period you are totally negating the purpose of having a deadline and doing a Kickstarter. If it weren't for the fact that Kickstarter is all the rage now and getting a lot of attention it might as well just be a website that takes paypal money. I still think Kickstarter is supposed to be a fund drive, collect x amount of money, or more, until x date, go make your product, then give out any gifts.

I also have a problem with calling something a "pre-order" that's basically just a concept in someone's head. It's still funding at this point with the finished product, if completed, as a gift for funding.

I know a lot of people are excited about this and I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade. Hell when it comes out I will probably be excited too. I just don't know that I care for some of the ways these things are being handled but we'll see what happens I guess.

[quote name='Motoki']Apparently this is going to be the standard with Kickstarters that the deadline really doesn't mean a lot and they will keep taking money via Paypal. Double Fine has also done thig.

I mean you can call it a pre-order but this game is so far from release stage that really it's just Kickstarter/alpha funding from a different source.

I guess there's the argument that more money means better game etc and maybe there is something to that, but in my personal opinion without at least some closed cooling off period you are totally negating the purpose of having a deadline and doing a Kickstarter. If it weren't for the fact that Kickstarter is all the rage now and getting a lot of attention it might as well just be a website that takes paypal money. I still think Kickstarter is supposed to be a fund drive, collect x amount of money, or more, until x date, go make your product, then give out any gifts.

I also have a problem with calling something a "pre-order" that's basically just a concept in someone's head. It's still funding at this point with the finished product, if completed, as a gift for funding.

I know a lot of people are excited about this and I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade. Hell when it comes out I will probably be excited too. I just don't know that I care for some of the ways these things are being handled but we'll see what happens I guess.[/QUOTE]

No, I understand. I still have my own reservations with how some of these crowd-sourced projects are being handled/portrayed, so I'm sticking with bigger names for now as I figure there's a higher chance of success. Just used "preorder" because I took the link straight from an update I was emailed.

[quote name='Motoki']Apparently this is going to be the standard with Kickstarters that the deadline really doesn't mean a lot and they will keep taking money via Paypal. Double Fine has also done thig.

I guess there's the argument that more money means better game etc and maybe there is something to that, but in my personal opinion without at least some closed cooling off period you are totally negating the purpose of having a deadline and doing a Kickstarter. If it weren't for the fact that Kickstarter is all the rage now and getting a lot of attention it might as well just be a website that takes paypal money. I still think Kickstarter is supposed to be a fund drive, collect x amount of money, or more, until x date, go make your product, then give out any gifts.[/QUOTE]

At the same time, if people are still willing to give money, I see no reason why they should turn it down. That being said, the budget should be set by what the final Kickstarter amount was, minus fees and costs of the extras. At this point they should be getting together the plan and not really depend on any additional money.

At this point, there is little benefit for people to give money unless for some reason they don't feel like these guys have enough. Might as well wait until they have actually produced the game.

I know a lot of people are excited about this and I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade. Hell when it comes out I will probably be excited too. I just don't know that I care for some of the ways these things are being handled but we'll see what happens I guess.[/QUOTE]

Hm. I disagree. I think it's great for people like me for whom money is tight right now but would like the opportunity to pre-order. Seriously if you pre-order any game you're taking a chance on the quality and whether you with your particular tastes and interests (more emphasis on QTEs or platforming than you expected? too bad) will actually like the finished product; it doesn't really matter whether it's a pre-order that lives only as some artwork and a game engine or one for a game that is in closed beta, you take the same risk. With this game, I'm confident that I will enjoy the finished product on the basis of the team that's been assembled to put it together and the budget that said team has to work with.

I also have issues with all of these recent Kickstarter projects, but I will say that all most are offering after the drive ends is the chance to contirbute and get a digital copy of the final product. As far as I know, the limited edition stuff is cut off once the drive ends, so it's not like people who gave are losing any exclusivity to the people who donate later. Indeed, all of these games will be sold after release I am sure, so it's just a really early pre-order if yoiu missed the fund drive which is kind of pointless if you ask me because it ties up your money for something that you can still buy when it finally comes out for likely the same cost or maybe just slightly more.

I am not sure how i feel about all this kick-starter stuff yet. I guess we will see when one of these big names takes all the $$ and runs or something. Or when some one fails to deliver what is promised.. all the nerd rage that will ensue because they payed for it. I my self have not payed towards any kickstarts no matter how promising the rewards look.

I think some of you are missing the point of kickstarter. It's not a storefront, like amazon, where you see something and buy something or preorder a good. Or it is, but that's not the driver.
Kickstarter is a chance to support an idea, product, group that you like, it can be a chance to communicate with that person or group from a planning phase until post-production and it is a platform to create unique pay items or events that you wouldn't get from traditional online or storefront retail. It is a combination of patron/consumer/beta/investor/enthusiast.
Many of the kickstarted projects retail afterwards on a site, or even in stores. But some of them aren't about retail at all, they are about farming, or the environment, education or public policy.
Of the many I have supported, sometimes I was disappointed with the final product. Sometimes the final product was very delayed either due to unexpected factors or the person(s) being inexperienced in some of the phases of running a business. Sometimes I've given just a few dollars if I like an idea, product or concept. Sometimes I've supported a project, and completely forgotten about it until months later when it is delivered to me. Occasionally I have contacted the person directly with an idea or suggestion, given feedback or asked for a specific request for my own reward.
It's ok to think of kickstarter as just a pre-order site, just as someone might think of steam as merely a content delivery system. But there is a greater depth there to access.

[quote name='bojay1997'] Indeed, all of these games will be sold after release I am sure, so it's just a really early pre-order if yoiu missed the fund drive which is kind of pointless if you ask me because it ties up your money for something that you can still buy when it finally comes out for likely the same cost or maybe just slightly more.[/QUOTE]

This.

And in the case of Wasteland 2, it does cost a bit more ($5 to be exact). The lowest tier on the Kickstarter that netted you a copy of the game was $15.

bread's done
Back