Watch Dogs Discussion Thread (6/12 Update: IGN interview)

I still don't get all the hate on this game though. Especially Kotaku's total "this game sucks because it's filled with nothing but trope-y stereotypes and no respect for women." The fuck, Kotaku? Did you really just call Ubisoft's devs bigots, without fully saying it?
To your first point, I find the game boring because of all the repetitive missions. In addition, there are way too many instances of cheap gameplay. Not to give any spoilers away, but like when you're on a small enclosed rooftop and suddenly enemies spawn next to you, or when you complete one part of a mission completely in stealth and then the next "action" part of the mission kicks in and despite being unalerted and in stealth since the beginning of the mission, all the new enemies suddenly know exactly which piece of cover you're behind. WTF. At least pretend to be realistic or throw the stealth out the window.

As to Kotaku's review, it seemed to me like they wrote about that because they didn't want to make the review too short and they didn't want to simply say "this game sucked." It's like when you ask someone a question, and it's obvious they don't have anything more to say, but they still blabber on and on talking about nothing important. Lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got done with act two and game is great. For me the story is kind of bland but most of mission are fun. A lot if things you can pick if you want to blow people up or go in shooting.

So I found a pretty funny glitch a couple of nights ago. I was driving down the road and came to an intersection. There was a car stopped at the light on the intersecting street so I decided to t-bone it at full speed. The hit ended up flipping the care over and the driver got out. I hit the car several more times until it flipped back over. Right after I flipped it over, the car straight up started driving down the road. No doors, no driver, smoking like crazy. It was a driverless car. 

I tried to blow it up by shooting it but all it would do is smoke. It was pretty hilarious and I recorded it but haven't uploaded it yet. I need to get youtube set up on my X1. I'll post the vid as soon as I can.

Lol yeah I didn't read any reviews before playing and after I beat the game, did multiplayer and worked on the collectibles I read some. I was scratching my head as well. The Iraq character was well done, I still think he was underdeveloped. Would have loved for them to do more with him. Yeah it sounds to me, like you said, that they just missed his audio files, which are an optional collectible, like the terminals in the Halo games, where you got a bit more insight on his character.

It's funny, I've often heard the complaint with a certain game being repeatitive. Yeah, it's a game. Borderlands 2, Torchlight II (haven't played D3), Mass Effect 2, Starcraft II, heck even Half Life 2 were all repetitive. A good game makes that repetitive gameplay fun and enjoyable to go through while a great game shrouds the pattern either with story, varying objrectives and/or game mechanics.

I enjoyed Watch Dog's story, the implications (and it's sales/to a lesser extent people's optimism as well) means a bright future for Watcg Dogs 2.

So shit. I'm doing the collectible where you uncover the sex trade business and when I went to hit the d-pad for my location nothing happened so I hit it again. Lost it because then the game was like oh here and I hit that notification and it was for a nearby race. Now I can't find it on my map. fuck. Am I screwed?!

So shit. I'm doing the collectible where you uncover the sex trade business and when I went to hit the d-pad for my location nothing happened so I hit it again. Lost it because then the game was like oh here and I hit that notification and it was for a nearby race. Now I can't find it on my map. fuck. Am I screwed?!
It should show the briefcase somewhere on the map. I found the people and didn't touch briefcases until the end. Because I was lazy. No issues.

It should show the briefcase somewhere on the map. I found the people and didn't touch briefcases until the end. Because I was lazy. No issues.
Hmmm after scouring the map I finally found a briefcase on the far end of the world. Hurrah for fast travel and hopefully that was it.

OMG, not again. So I swear I clicked down to enable the GPS on the LAST weapon trade mission but it never triggered and I listened to the dialogue and whatever yet it never showed me where to go. I've also looked on the map for like 5 minutes trying to find a small little icon! Ahhhh, I love this game and then shit like this happens lol. Currently working on QR codes right now. Got hacked and I swear every time that happens I'm in an area where people can hide in alleyways, on rooftops, underground even, gah.

OMG, not again. So I swear I clicked down to enable the GPS on the LAST weapon trade mission but it never triggered and I listened to the dialogue and whatever yet it never showed me where to go. I've also looked on the map for like 5 minutes trying to find a small little icon! Ahhhh, I love this game and then shit like this happens lol. Currently working on QR codes right now. Got hacked and I swear every time that happens I'm in an area where people can hide in alleyways, on rooftops, underground even, gah.
The final mission ones look like fixer missions, but slightly different. They'll have a blue outline on them, unlike the briefcase / people icons.

I was planning on getting all achievements but That Drinking Game one is so time consuming and brutal.

I realize the game is typical UBI. Game sounds great on paper, first few hours is fun but then it turns into annoyances that could have/should have been fixed. Like gameplay annoyances that detract from the game (like being forced to take down a guy in a criminal convoy instead of killing him when he surrounded by four helper vehicles). I still love the concept of the game and it's still a fun game. Just like Ass Creed, it has some frustrating parts for me.

[quote name="Sir_Fragalot" post="11851370" timestamp="1403109586"]I was planning on getting all achievements but That Drinking Game one is so time consuming and brutal.

I realize the game is typical UBI. Game sounds great on paper, first few hours is fun but then it turns into annoyances that could have/should have been fixed. Like gameplay annoyances that detract from the game (like being forced to take down a guy in a criminal convoy instead of killing him when he surrounded by four helper vehicles). I still love the concept of the game and it's still a fun game. Just like Ass Creed, it has some frustrating parts for me.[/quote]
Yeah, seems like Ubisoft likes to add the "we have over 40 hours of gameplay" to their interviews, but 30 of it is a repeat of the same stuff from the first 10. How many times do I need to race a car across the city and grab another? I like their game play so I think I don't get bored of it as quickly as others, but I do find myself wishing for something different in the mission structure.

As for achievements, I don't know if I will 100% this game. I like how they implemented multiplayer except for decryption. Mainly because I can't get into a game that isn't laggy and glitchy.

God tell me about it. The criminal convoy missions are the last ones I need to do and there's a reason for that. I used to like them but just as you said they put in the non-lethal bs. Yesterday I did a mission 8 or so times because I either died or I killed the target. Reset. Take out the security, manage to scramble their coms, get flanked and taken out. Reset. Disable the convoy by steam pipe, use focus to take everybody out, kill the target in explosion. Reset. Wait for convoy to get to steam pipe, press prompt to neutralize convoy, blows up target. Reset.
It got to the point where I didn't do any stealth or cool action movie setup, I just drove to the f'n convoy, grenade launcher the first car, ran down took out the 2nd target, blew up civilians and bad guys by blowing up every car around me and then sat tight behind a car for the heavy to get close and thankfully ran out and took him down when he was reloading. So much for tact.

Right!? And how often they call for reinforcements, who just happen to be super close and can find exactly where you are in less than 5 seconds?

This game is fun on the surface, but repetitive to a fault. Very questionable design choices RE: the power of Aiden's phone (or LACK thereof). I'll finish campaign and be done with it.

[quote name="Spybreak9" post="11851493" timestamp="1403112174"]God tell me about it. The criminal convoy missions are the last ones I need to do and there's a reason for that. I used to like them but just as you said they put in the non-lethal bs. Yesterday I did a mission 8 or so times because I either died or I killed the target. Reset. Take out the security, manage to scramble their coms, get flanked and taken out. Reset. Disable the convoy by steam pipe, use focus to take everybody out, kill the target in explosion. Reset. Wait for convoy to get to steam pipe, press prompt to neutralize convoy, blows up target. Reset.
It got to the point where I didn't do any stealth or cool action movie setup, I just drove to the f'n convoy, grenade launcher the first car, ran down took out the 2nd target, blew up civilians and bad guys by blowing up every car around me and then sat tight behind a car for the heavy to get close and thankfully ran out and took him down when he was reloading. So much for tact.[/quote]
Haha. I did pretty much the exact same thing after trying a few things. Waited for convoy to go over a bridge. Raised the bridge. Launched a few well placed grenades at the tail cars, now bunched up. Slowed time to finish any stragglers with my assault rifle then ran up and knocked the guy out. This was after failing several times for the exact same reasons.

My tip for the convoys. Buy the best Sniper in the game (well the $50k one at the shop, forgot the name), and then get far ahead of the guys. As they come in shoot the car because the rifle will disable the cars. Then pick the guys off one by one, and when the last guy is left, go and get him.

I wish UBI would of patched the drinking game achievement with this latest patch. I know I will be stuck at 98% completion achievement wise because of this, lol.

Soo you ever plan a gang hideout and then continue to not be able to do it due to stupid shit happening? Then you just go, fuck it?
WATCH_DOGS™ Action Movie Gang Hideout: http://youtu.be/ij2-P9zJG9w
Lol awesome action sequence.

Got more achievements done with the side missions, still going for all the hotspots. Lol never done this so I was curious:
WATCH_DOGS™ Funny NPC Trolling: http://youtu.be/0_7QRZAqKek

This will prob be my last video, life is forcing me to move back home and unfortunately that's capped Internet with Verizon. Here's the last weapons trade mish, this clip has it all funny fails (Seriously wtf) and epic wins (dem placements!)
WATCH_DOGS™ Final Weapons Trade Mission: http://youtu.be/beF-8s_Kf70

Did more tailing missions but a ways from 10 so yeah looks like I'll miss out on that and online hacking achievements.

Just finished.. completed most of the side missions, but couldn't be bothered with the Fixer.. seriously, *40* missions to complete that one, and only $ as a reward? Major pass.

Enjoyed the game a good deal, but there are a ton of nagging things about it. Too many ctOS alerts - even with online turned off, I got bombarded with online contracts to accept. What's the point of turning off the radio if it still shells out news alerts? Wish I could track down those Dedsec pansies and give 'em a good whack. And why does every last pedestrian have a bad attitude (okay, not that one dude who says 'my bad')?

Incidentally, I visited Chicago a couple weeks ago and the city is phenomenally recreated in-game. Both the good and irritating.. where there are multi-level roads, GPS in-game is just as infuriating as in real life.

Glad I played it, but I'll pass on the inevitable sequel.

Finally got 1000/1000 and 100% completion. I don't know if it's because I own it digitally or what but I almost never 1000/1000 a game. I enjoyed parts of watch dogs but I wouldn't say it was a great game. I didn't pay attention to the story at all, it just didn't grab me. Plus those damn drinking games!!!

bread's done
Back