Welcome to the All New Cheap Ass Gamer!

Same here. I noticed I also don't have the flashing NEW MESSAGES alert on the page either. Honestly, that was about the only way I'd know to check my PM's, since I would rarely do so otherwise.

Could you guys tone it down? You're giving me such a headache I may have to go to hospital.

Anyway, in looking at Cheapys walkthough of the Front page extension stuff (finally found by clicking CHEAP ASS GAMER logo at top), it looks like the Latest Forum Post Module had a toolbar at one point. Hopefully we'll be able to get back so we can chose the Posts from the Forums we like to see.

posttoolstq8.jpg

[quote name='withered']There's a pop up window when you get PMs? somone PM me, I wanna see![/quote]
You have to activate it in the control panel. Check the box that says you want a pop-up notification.

I definitely agree that I'd love to see the PM info back in the top right, both the notification about new messages and just a quick link to your PM inbox in general.

[quote name='garfep']You have to activate it in the control panel. Check the box that says you want a pop-up notification.

I definitely agree that I'd love to see the PM info back in the top right, both the notification about new messages and just a quick link to your PM inbox in general.[/QUOTE]

Click on the Cheap Ass Gamer banner on the top of the page for quick PM inbox link, just click on mail after you click on the banner.

[quote name='kaw']Issue:

When I changed my post viewing options from 50 to 200 every large thread I click on I get nothing but a blank page. I changed it to 200 to 150 and get the same thing, but less frequently. I changed it from 150 to 100 and that seems to work okay.

Mozilla Firefox = blank page
IE 6 = HTTP 500 Internal Server Error[/QUOTE]

same problem here! Please help me out, I love the 200 per page option, and don't want to give it up.

[quote name='spoo']Click on the Cheap Ass Gamer banner on the top of the page for quick PM inbox link, just click on mail after you click on the banner.[/quote]
Haha, yeah, but still not as quick as just scrolling up and looking in the top right. ;)

I realize there is a lot of excitement about the new site and all, but please
read the first 2 posts in the thread!

[quote name='sociopharm02']I like the new site but I miss the forums on the main page broken up in the little sections.[/quote]

[quote name='CheapyD']Issues / Notes / Etc (a work in progress)

This is a "soft launch" of the new CAG, so there are definitely some issues.
There will be plenty of style tweaks and other changes made...so don't fret!

Front Page & Modules

• The Latest Post module will be able to be configured to show the forums you chose or display the "classic method" on the old CAG. Neither are ready yet. Currently, you only get the 5 most recently replied threads from all the forums.
[/quote]

Also,
[quote name='garfep']I definitely agree that I'd love to see the PM info back in the top right, both the notification about new messages and just a quick link to your PM inbox in general.[/quote]
It's being worked on...

Tested it out, and yes, visiting the CAG homepage will count as a forum visit. I guess it's necessary since user-specific information is now on the homepage, but I wish it wasn't. I could log out of CAG every time I leave, but I probably won't remember very often.

Is there a way to get the home page to display in three columns instead of two? I have a 22'' widescreen monitor and it has a lot of blank space on the right side but I still have to scroll down to see everything in the second column.

[quote name='pete5883']Tested it out, and yes, visiting the CAG homepage will count as a forum visit. I guess it's necessary since user-specific information is now on the homepage, but I wish it wasn't. I could log out of CAG every time I leave, but I probably won't remember very often.[/quote]
Thanks for being a guinea pig, I'll have to keep that in mind.

[quote name='Strell']You should demand we insert other UK specific wording. Like...scallywags and .... dunderfries...

And also unnecessary vowels here and there. Words probably have u's that I wouldn't even imagine.[/quote]

Sometimes I dont know what to say Strell :applause:

I for one Cheapy, think this is a nice welcome, the site needed some sort of overhaul, and I think it looks ok. Just have to get used to it, thats all.
Great job.

[quote name='guinaevere']
This also has been addressed. Click the different size "A"s on the top right for different sized fonts.
fontsty7.jpg
[/quote]

Those are still completely nonfunctional for me (I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.14). Am I alone in that, then?

[quote name='PINKO']Well do you still get a flashing message saying you have a new PM

If you don't That really sucks for Trading and selling.[/quote]

can some one answer my question, please?

I just sent yo ua pm pinko.. let me know if it shows up. Was curious about this as well.

I also wanted to mention the new design is not as mobile cell phone friendly as the old one.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PINKO']can some one answer my question, please?[/QUOTE]

go into the user cp and into edit options. In the messaging section you make it so that a new PM brings up a pop up stating you have a new PM

For now you can go to your control panel to enable a pop-up window that will notify you of new PM's, and on the last page Cheapy said that the PM box in the top right (which would probably include the flashing notification) is being worked on.

[quote name='elmyra']Those are still completely nonfunctional for me (I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.14). Am I alone in that, then?[/quote]

I'm using Firefox 3, and they don't do anything for me either.

EDIT: I, like others, am having blank pages appear when trying to click on large threads (using 200 posts per page).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mahoney07']This color scheme is SO MUCH BETTER than the old one!

Grats CheapyD.[/quote]

Yup so much simpler and cleaner now.
I like it.

I liked the old version better, mainly because the colors just dont seem to mesh as well as they did with the old format. Front page looks decent but I dont like the new forum setup at all.

The site looks nice, its just too bad that it turned into a site just like every other game site out there. CAG blogs! wow, now I can have a blog on yet another site. I can't believe that the entire premise that the site was built on, video game deals, has become an afterthought.

Man, the new color scheme is really hard on the eye's. The black is intense, any options available to alter the default background color, to maybe a dark gray ?

Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, but it would be great to have some alt tags along with defined width/height for the logo and main nav. Whenever I check the site from work I leave images turned off, so without those tags those elements are invisible.

I like the new color scheme. Organized, clean, easy to read. It will still take a while for me to get used to it (CHANGE, BLARGH!!) but great job Cheapy and crew!

One suggestion though. Would it be possible to make any forum accessible from the home page like on CAG 1.0 instead of clicking through [Forums] first?

Please say the forum blocks are supposed to be next to the news and podcast blocks and it's just because I am at 1280x1024.

According to Cheapy, we will be able to list the top threads in each forum on the front page like CAG 1.0.

It just hasn't been implemented yet.

The layout is nice, and it seems to run/load faster.

One thing I miss is the "You have PM" message in the upper right corner. I was used to looking in that area to see if I have a PM (aside from the email notification).

Also, the CML icon under the avatars need to make a comeback! :)

[quote name='elmyra']Those [triple A's used to change font size] are still completely nonfunctional for me (I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.14). Am I alone in that, then?[/quote]

I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.15 and it works fine for me.

[quote name='Limpbizkit182521']The triple AAAs only change the font on the front page for me. Thread text doesn't change. I'm using Firefox 3.[/quote]
You're right. Same for me. I only tried it on the front page.:roll:

[quote name='Limpbizkit182521']The triple AAAs only change the font on the front page for me. Thread text doesn't change. I'm using Firefox 3.[/QUOTE]

Some changes are coming to the font size changer to make it more consistent throughout the site. (It's near the top of the todo list.) :)

One other thing I noticed (that may or may not have been mentioned):

On the "Friend's Online" module on the frontpage, it always says I have 0 friends online. Yet, there are multiple people online showing in the module itself.

[quote name='stoned99']Man, the new color scheme is really hard on the eye's. The black is intense, any options available to alter the default background color, to maybe a dark gray ?[/quote]

yeah...the layout looks nice, but something about the color schemes or something has me have to do a double take when i come to the new site

bread's done
Back