Welcome to the All New Cheap Ass Gamer!

My initial thoughts?

The front page now seems more confusing. There's too much crap on it. And it all blends together. It doesn't seem that well separated.

I know you're doing the 8-bit thing with the font, but ....seems less professional before. Man I'm not sure about the color scheme. It doesn't help that it's the same puke green and orange color on everything. Heaven forbid you use another color on the site.

The same color mean different things too. For example, if you're in the forums then the "Forum" section (at the top) is orange while the other sections are green. But with pages of a thread the page you're on is white while the other pages are orange.

I know the site had green and orange before, but I think they over did it. Maybe I'll get used to it, but that's my first impression.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few thoughts:

I really liked and miss the flashing new PM message.

I prefer the previous yellow/orange compared to the current dark orange. I also prefer the dark grey background as opposed to black. Those two are less of a contrast and make for easier viewing.

I'd like to see usernames (next to posts) enlarged and the online/offline indicator at more of a contrast to make it an easier distinction.

I also preferred the previous version where there was some kind of border around posts and made each individual one stand out more. If someone doesn't have a sig posts tend to blur together at a quick viewing.

I also liked the old front page feature that showed the last 5-6 posts for each forum. I generally don't have large amounts of time to sit down and peruse multiple forums and threads and this was a great way for me to get a glimpse of what's going on.

Having said all that, if any of this is considered customizable just point me in the right direction and I'll get on it. I don't have any major complaints about the new version but, like I said, I just don't have large amounts of time to sit down and explore everything.

[quote name='neocisco']
I also liked the old front page feature that showed the last 5-6 posts for each forum. I generally don't have large amounts of time to sit down and peruse multiple forums and threads and this was a great way for me to get a glimpse of what's going on.[/QUOTE]

Gotta agree with this. This is the one thing I've been missing since 2.0 came up. It was nice to just do a quick check like that. I'd also like to know if this is something I just haven't figured out how to set up, or if not, can it be implemented, especially if we can choose which forums we'd like to see the top 5-6 posts from?

I liked how the old CAG alerted you at the top of the page when you received a PM. Now, I have to check my CP to see if I got any. This is a routine that I don't see myself doing since I only deal with PMs when it comes to trading. Is there something else that tells me when I receive a PM or is checking the CP my only way?

I`m interested in knowing as well.
[quote name='Rig']I think this has been mentioned in the CAG 2.0 Issues thread already.[/QUOTE]

and...? (no link sorta left us hanging)

[quote name='neocisco']A few thoughts:

I really liked and miss the flashing new PM message.
[/quote]
I agree, that really needs to return.

It might just be me, but why is there no more feedback number in a person's profile? I was trying to leave feedback for someone with 0 feedback (meaning there's no direct link to iTrader for that person on his posts), and I accidentally deleted the PM from the person, so I had no way to directly get to a page to leave feedback.

I ended up copying the person's user number into the iTrader url and forcing my way in there, but that's very unwieldy. Can this be fixed?

[quote name='Kaijufan']I agree, that really needs to return.[/QUOTE]

Cheapy warned us months ago that the flashing PM message wouldn't be joining us in v.2.0. A shame, really. We finally got a good PM notification after all that time. Maybe John can come up with something similar in the future.

[quote name='daphatty']Cheapy warned us months ago that the flashing PM message wouldn't be joining us in v.2.0. A shame, really. We finally got a good PM notification after all that time. Maybe John can come up with something similar in the future.[/quote]

Actually, I said that specific notification isn't coming. There will be a better one.

Me too. We're only what, two days in and I've gotten used to it already. Plus, I really like being able to go right to the deals and home page from the bar in the top right. I can't wait for the game collection system to be implemented.

I also kinda like the topic postings under subject headers that were on the main page on the right as well. It brought attention to some posts I might have otherwise missed.
I also preferred the heading bar on the LEFT at the instead of the right with a drop down menu CHEAPY! X-(
I feel the special font style is unnecessary for that text as well. All in all an unnecessary update. The site didn't need all this extra crap you can do.
Next thing you know Cheapy will make this site look like the coding mess(I suspect) and visual diarrhea that is the pos MySpace.

Would it be possible to have the avatar size restriction increased? Getting out to the sides of the username box and making it taller would be great.

It also wouldn't really affect people, since the difference between a few kilobytes is trivial to a broadband connection.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Nobody has answered the Auto-Log Off feature. Is there one? I seem to get logged off after a few minutes of being idle.[/QUOTE]Check "remember me" when you log in.

[quote name='PINKO']Well do you still get a flashing message saying you have a new PM

If you don't That really sucks for Trading and selling.[/QUOTE]

i second this....plz find a way to bring this back :)

[quote name='neocisco']I'd like to see usernames (next to posts) enlarged and the online/offline indicator at more of a contrast to make it an easier distinction.[/quote]Once I figured out the offline/online/invisible indicators, it isn't so bad.

The one thing I'd like would be instead of just having the little "+" next to a users name (at the bottom of the page where all online members are listed), it would be nice to have a little ♥ next to the users name if you're mutual friends.

Speaking of which, is there a max number of friends?

[quote name='Liquid 2']It also wouldn't really affect people, since the difference between a few kilobytes is trivial to a broadband connection.
[/quote]Not everyone has broadband.

I used to keep avatars on when i was on dial up. I'm not trying to argue with you Liquid, I just don't think the argument you espoused was the best one for your purpose.

But I will be honest, I don't personally don't want to see big honking avatars taking up screen Real Estate.
I'm more interested in what someone has to say about an issue than the picture they identify themselves with.
Considering the format as is, I wouldn't see how stretching the landscape pixel count would be distracting, as the User ID Box has a set default.

Edit: just playing around, the box that the Avatar sits in, at my size screen, with posts filling 100%, the avatar could be as big as 169x114.

A lot of threads are simply not showing up for me - I just get a blank window. Is anyone else having this problem? I'm using firefox, and when I copy/paste the URL into IE, I get an HTTP 500 internal server error.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']A lot of threads are simply not showing up for me - I just get a blank window. Is anyone else having this problem? I'm using firefox, and when I copy/paste the URL into IE, I get an HTTP 500 internal server error.[/quote]

Paste 'em here, please.

Like in the forum we can go into our CP and switch it to use 100% of the screen, can widescreen users do something similar to the homepage?

I know most of you use widescreen monitors as well, but for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about:

Untitledpicture-2.png

[quote name='guinaevere']I used to keep avatars on when i was on dial up. I'm not trying to argue with you Liquid, I just don't think the argument you espoused was the best one for your purpose.

But I will be honest, I don't personally don't want to see big honking avatars taking up screen Real Estate.
I'm more interested in what someone has to say about an issue than the picture they identify themselves with.
Considering the format as is, I wouldn't see how stretching the landscape pixel count would be distracting, as the User ID Box has a set default.

Edit: just playing around, the box that the Avatar sits in, at my size screen, with posts filling 100%, the avatar could be as big as 169x114.[/QUOTE]
Filling the box would be nice, but I'd like more vertical space, personally.

As for my dial up argument, I couldn't think of any reason why avatars were so small other than that.

[quote name='Liquid 2']As for my dial up argument, I couldn't think of any reason why avatars were so small other than that.[/quote]Netiquette. Ever been to sites where there are no sig limits or huge avatars? It's obnoxious and shabby looking.

150x150 avatars would be nice, but I think we're in the minority of those who have a high monitor resolution. I'm sure John or Cheapy can look that information up though.

I'd rather see the box around avatars go away, it makes CAG's avatars that are transparent like Liquid's look fugly. :[

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDn8y7j8kSk[/youtube]

why's this do this?

the youtube tag doesn't work (properly) anymore or am i doin it wrong?

Go to User CP -> Edit Options...then

Display Forums at 100% Width This setting allows you to increase the width of all forum pages to match the width of your browser window YesNo

They say the older you get the hard it is to except change. I guess I really am getting old... Oh well.

Just have to get used to it I guess.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Go to User CP -> Edit Options...then

Display Forums at 100% Width This setting allows you to increase the width of all forum pages to match the width of your browser window YesNo[/QUOTE]

That only changes the forum, nothing else (homepage, blogs, etc). That post was about everything other than the forum.

My biggest con of CAG 2.0 would have to be the limited amount of recent post that it shows (the old CAG would list the last 10 topics for each catagory on the home page including Cheap ASS Deals, Request, General gaming discussions, and Cheapass lifestyles) now its just last fourm post....so its alot easier to miss out on deals

but other then that I like it somewhat, Im guessing its will take a bit to warm up, good job on the blog feature though

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You only need the youtube link to post the video. I don't think there ever were youtube tags.[/quote]

There used to be a link below the inbedded video that would take you to that Youtube page. I'd like to see that put back since that allows you the option to watch the video fullscreen. Thanks.

[quote name='VipFREAK']They say the older you get the hard it is to except change. I guess I really am getting old... Oh well.

Just have to get used to it I guess.[/quote]

If I'm this bad now I'm going to end being one crotchety old man.:lol:

[quote name='CheapyD']Paste 'em here, please.[/quote]

I'm also having the same problem with threads not showing up and having an 'internal server error' on them. Namely, the guide thread that I'm in charge of updating. Unfortunately, there was a drop @ Best Buy this week, but not on a Monday and since I can't get to the thread, I can't update it just yet.

EDIT: The FYE trade deal thread is also dead as of now.

Linkage:
Guide Thread:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187222

FYE thread:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166271

Oh and I also miss the 'NEW MESSAGES' thing that used to flash at the top of the page.

bread's done
Back