What are the rare PSX games?

Also, Fox Hunt with Rob Lowe by Capcom, that rare NBA game that was given out at arenas only, and all those Lightspan "games"

I would dump Vib Ribbon -- it is import, just like Tobal 2, Intelligent Qube Final (Kurushi Final), Devil Dice 2 (Xi Jumbo), and all imports -- they are rare by their very nature. THQ's Shaolin received only a PAL release, even after years of development -- the only martial arts fighter with an RPG attached to it -- game play is not deep at all, despite what IGN and other reviewers were claiming -- which is prolly why they skipped a US release. There is a Microman/Micronauts JP release that is very rare even by JP standards that I picked up for my brother a few years back - game play is similar to a cheap Silent Bomber, and it included a visual encyclopedia of the toys that were released. The story follows the Microman line instead of the Westernized Micronauts tales.

Speaking of which, I agree Silent Bomber has always been hard to find, even when it was released, and I also agree that Klonoa is still a tough one to find as well.

One of the big probs is that unless you eBay, many of these titles no longer show up in the EBs and GameStops -- I am certain the management and employees scoop them up when they come in to sell on eBay. That is why common games like Dynasty Warriors 1 just can't be found unless you auction.

Add Builder's Block to the rare list, it came out after the PS2 debuted, and had a very limited release -- distributors just were not interested -- it should be very cheap though, as most people don't recognize it as a Super Puzzle Fighter II knock-off.

Samurai Shodown 5 *did* receive an American Release -- I saw a couple of copies in an EB when it was released, almost bought it, but was too expensive for my tastes, $39 for 2D style game play using 3D modeled characters. It was another post PS2 release that got poor distribution.

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo should be on the list, even though it gets additional pressings every 6 months or so, distribution of the new releases only goes to select retailers, including Video Game Depot.

I would not include No One Can Beat Mr. Domino by Artdink -- it was so well distributed and sold so porly that it may have been the first unofficial budget release. There are tons of copies out there.

Tail of the Sun by Artdink used to be pretty rare, but there are occasions on eBay when there are more than you can shake a stick at.

According to Digitpress.com, these are the rarest games on playstation (left out prototypes. There were too many and they were in the 9's)

---
Elemental Gear Bolt Assassin's Case edition

--

Family Connection Demonstration Disc
NBA 2Ball
Road Writer

--

Calamity-Adventure 1: The Natural World
Calamity-Adventure 2: People and Traditions
Calamity-Adventure 3: Around the World
Cali's Geo Tools
Cosmic Cookoff: Language Arts
Cosmic Cookoff: Mathematics
Creative Camp
Creative Isle

Creative Journey Lightspan 8 USA
Creative Voyage Lightspan 8 USA
Faire Games: Language Arts Lightspan 8 USA
Faire Games: Mathematics Lightspan 8 USA
Fox Hunt Capcom 8 10/1/1996 USA
K9.5: Live in Airedale Lightspan 8 USA
K9.5: The Hollywood Premiere Lightspan 8 USA
K9.5: The Tail-Wag Tour Lightspan 8 USA
K9.5: We are the Dogs Lightspan 8 USA
K9.5: WebTunes

KazMania: Chaos in KazMania Lightspan 8 USA
KazMania: Trail of Gems Lightspan 8 USA
Liquid Books: Amrita's Tree Credito and the Coyote Lightspan 8 USA
Liquid Books: Far-Fetched Frontier Tales Lightspan 8 USA
Liquid Books: Lety's Favorite Stories Lightspan 8 USA
Liquid Books: Pop-Out Prose Lightspan 8 USA
Releases Liquid Books: The Adventures of Adelita and Bo Lightspan 8 USA
Liquid Books: The

Wandering Path Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Mars Moose Cosmic Quest 1: City Sights Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Mars Moose Cosmic Quest 2: Fairy Tale Island Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Mars Moose Cosmic Quest 3: Race Through France Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Mars Moose Stay & Play 1: In the Clubhouse Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Mars Moose Stay & Play 2: In Mars' Bedroom Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Mars Moose Stay & Play 3: In Lonnie's Classroom Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Mars Moose Walkabout 1: The Natural History Museum Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Mars Moose Walkabout 2: The Shakespeare Festival Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Mars Moose Walkabout 3: World Sports Day Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Math Gallery Collection 1 Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Math Gallery Collection 2 Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Math on the Move!: Addition/Subtraction Advanced Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Math on the Move!: Addition/Subtraction Intermediate Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Math on the Move!: Multiplication/Division Advanced Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Math on the Move!: Multiplication/Division Intermediate Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Mona & Moki: Drive Me Wild Lightspan 8 USA

PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Mona & Moki: Drive Me Wilder Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases P.K.'s Math Studio Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases P.K.'s Place: Carlos at the Races Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases P.K.'s Place: Daphne and the Seventh Wonder Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases P.K.'s Place: Hoopo the Seal Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases P.K.'s Place: Party on the Patio Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Psychic Detective Electronic Arts 8 3/1/1996 USA

PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Quaddle Family Mysteries, The: The Case of the Scarce Scarab Garden Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Quaddle Family Mysteries, The: The Case of the Scarce Scarab Lobby/Kitchen Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Quaddle Family Mysteries, The: The Case of the Scarce Scarab Parlor/Family Room Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Secret of Googol, The: Eggs All Around Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Secret of Googol, The: Googol Gulch - General Store, Match Arcade Lightspan 8 USA

PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Secret of Googol, The: Googolfest - Arcade Isle, Moon, Feast Isle Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Secret of Googol, The: Googolfest - Party Isle, Toy Isle Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Secret of Googol, The: Reshaping Googol - Castle Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Secret of Googol, The: Reshaping Googol - The Submarine Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Secret of Googol, The: Reshaping Googol - The Tower Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Secret of Googol, The: Reshaping Googol - Under the Ocean Lightspan 8 USA
PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Secret of Googol, The: The Googol Counting Fair - Corral, Fun House Lightspan 8 USA

PlayStation U.S. Game Releases Secret of Googol, The: The Googol Counting Fair - Midways Lightspan 8 USA
Str.at.e.s Analogy-ology! Lightspan 8 USA
Str.at.e.s Match-A-Batch Lightspan 8 USA
Str.at.e.s Matchmania! Lightspan 8 USA
Str.at.e.s Parallel Lives! Lightspan 8 USA
Str.at.e.s Riddle Roundup! Lightspan 8 USA
Str.at.e.s Riddle Wrangler! Lightspan 8 USA
Str.at.e.s Title This! Title That! Lightspan 8 USA
Str.at.e.s Titlerama! Lightspan 8 USA
Team Buddies Midway 8 3/1/2000 USA
Three Decoders, The: Key to the Carousel Lightspan 8 USA
Three Decoders, The: Riddle of the Ring Lightspan 8 USA
Timeless Jade Trade Lightspan 8 USA
Timeless Math: Brainswarm Lightspan 8 USA
Timeless Math: Lunar Base Lightspan 8 USA
Timeless Math: Maya - King Jaguar's Village Lightspan 8 USA
Timeless Math: Maya - Observatory Lightspan 8 USA
Timeless Math: Maya - Search and Rescue Lightspan 8 USA
Timeless Math: Rover Recovery Lightspan 8 USA
Timeless Math: Space Flight Rescue Lightspan 8 USA
Unknown Variable 1: Masque Manor Lightspan 8 USA
s Unknown Variable 2: Raven's Ridge Lightspan 8 USA
Walt Disney's World Quest: Magical Tour Racing Watch Edition

PlayStation Non-U.S. Game Releases Mortal Kombat II Acclaim 8
PlayStation Non-U.S. Game Releases Rakugaki Showtime Enix 8 Japan
PlayStation Non-Cartridge Items Console, Net Yaroze (U.S. version) Sony 8
PlayStation Non-Cartridge Items Interact Memory Drive Interact 8
PlayStation Demos, Samplers, & Non-Games Titan A.E. Demo Disc Fox Interactive 8

Hmm... most of those games sound like PC shovelware pushed out into the budget scene.

Netyaroze is listed, but should not be -- that is the consumer PS dev console that sold for $1G to encourage home-brew game dev -- Devil Dice was one of the games that came from the Netyaroze.

Team Buddies definitely belongs on the PS1 rarities list, and is supposed to be a good game -- another post PS2 release.

EDIT - I agree on that first US DragonBall Z game - not my cup o tea, but I have never ever seen one anywhere -- that rates as rare to me.

I'd take FF Anthology, Origins and Chronicles off the list. From personal experience I see those all the time. With Chronicles, I see GH copies more often but non-GH pops up quite a bit as well.

Here's another rare title: V-Tennis. Digital Press ranks it at 7. It was one of those early longbox only titles. Not worth much though - I got a complete copy last week for a buck.

[quote name='DigitalSpace']Here's another rare title: V-Tennis. Digital Press ranks it at 7. It was one of those early longbox only titles. Not worth much though - I got a complete copy last week for a buck.[/quote]

Not worth a lot because it's one of the worst tennis games ever made. The worst I've ever played is actually "Tennis", a $10 "value" Playstation game that is just so disgustingly awful it makes Pong feel like Tennis 2K2. V-Tennis isn't quite as horrible, but it's close. So many crap Playstation games...

Bwahahaha! I always enjoy seeing those late release PSX games like "Tennis" and "Soccer." I keep expecting to see "Fighting," "Driving," and "Sports."

I was gonna say DDR Disney Mix and Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo but someone beat me to it. :oops:

What about "The Raiden Project"? Its one of the earlier games in the bigass box. Its a damn fine game too.

Oh, and I have a question. Which version of Suikoden is rarer: The single jewel case one or the one that comes in a double size box (IE: The boxes most Squaresoft games came in)?

EDIT: Oh yeah, what about Guardian's Crusade? I've only seen that game once and I passed on it. DAMMIT!

maybe the following....?
Brigandine
Tactics Ogre
Ogre Battle
Diablo
Persona 1 & 2
Super Puzzle Fighter

Don't know for sure but these seem pretty hard to find and carry a fairly high resale value

Didn't Diablo have two versions? One that had only single player and one that had both single and two player?

What makes Dragon Warrior 7 specifically sealed rare? Wouldnt it be rare sealed or unsealed? or did they not sell it sealed? That makes no sense to me, maybe someone knows?

[quote name='Arakias']What makes Dragon Warrior 7 specifically sealed rare? Wouldnt it be rare sealed or unsealed? or did they not sell it sealed? That makes no sense to me, maybe someone knows?[/quote]

Maybe everyone that bought it, played it.. so a sealed copy is rare, whereas everyone has an opened copy.

[quote name='Arakias']What makes Dragon Warrior 7 specifically sealed rare? Wouldnt it be rare sealed or unsealed? or did they not sell it sealed? That makes no sense to me, maybe someone knows?[/quote]

Makes little sense to me either, since I could go over to the local TRU and buy a new sealed copy for $30. If it's still on the shelves of a major national retailer I'd say that 'hard to find' really means 'can't be bothered to look.'

i have a sealed copy of dragon warrior 7. Bought it for 17 at eb(it was under the counter with other new psx games). Thinking it could be worth something later i decided never to open it.

[quote name='elprincipe']

Not worth a lot because it's one of the worst tennis games ever made. The worst I've ever played is actually "Tennis", a $10 "value" Playstation game that is just so disgustingly awful it makes Pong feel like Tennis 2K2. V-Tennis isn't quite as horrible, but it's close. So many crap Playstation games...[/quote]

Heh. Well, it is an Acclaim game. :lol:
And yeah, I agree, it's pretty bad. At least I only spent a buck.

I found it at a CD/Game Exchange and passed it up at first. I got online later that night and looked it up along with some other longbox games I passed up. Once I saw that it was rare I decided I would go and buy it if it was still there because I wanted a longbox game in my collection, and it was complete and only a buck. The store was on my route to work so I bought it on my way to work the next day.

And ot be honest, if it was loose or more than a couple bucks I would have probably passed it up. :lol:

It's funny what most of you guys talk about because I own most of the games you guys are talking about. All non greatest hits either. Also to heighten my handicap, I live in Northern Canada where rare games don't come in often. And trust me, I've payed a large amount for my finds. Most of it was just plain luck though
- Dragonball GT Final Bout - When I first got my PSX I bought it at my local K-Mart in Northern Canada (what are the odds)
- Castlevania Symphony of the Night (one that has yet to be mentioned yet) got it at my local EB Games for like $30.....Canadian!
- Found me a Final Fantasy Tactics original guide at a KB Toys clearence sale.
- Got a Lunar SSS guide, (still need Lunar 2 guide, I know a guy who has it but will only give it to me for my Lunar 1 guide.....defeats the purpose)
- I also managed to get my hands on a first edition Disgaea guide.
- Here's a good one, Suikoden II at EB Games, $50 Canadian, thats like $30 for any Americans
- I cashed in big time though at an EB Games in Florida. It's all location fellas. This EB Games was not in a mall, but a big outdoor plaza where old people shop. I scored without a word of a lie (and it did cost me some doe, especially since I'm Canadian), Arc the Lad sealed, Star Ocean 2, Legend of Mana, Suikoden I, Alundra, Dragon Valor, Ehrgeiz, Einhander and Dragon Warrior VII. This place also had three, count them three Arc the Lad guides, sealed!
- Check out the picture for all the rest.
- Maybe not all rare, but most are rare and its not a bad collection if I do say so....and I'm still building....Valkyrie Profile anyone?

[quote name='Gameboy415']I was gonna say DDR Disney Mix and Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo but someone beat me to it. :oops:

What about "The Raiden Project"? Its one of the earlier games in the bigass box. Its a damn fine game too.

Oh, and I have a question. Which version of Suikoden is rarer: The single jewel case one or the one that comes in a double size box (IE: The boxes most Squaresoft games came in)?

EDIT: Oh yeah, what about Guardian's Crusade? I've only seen that game once and I passed on it. DAMMIT![/quote]

I was just about to meantion Raiden Project. I regret selling it. What about other PS1 shooters, like Thunder Force V or Raycrisis? Oh yeah.. Silent Bomber is indeed a great game. I played a demo, loved it, and glad I bought it.

Whoah.. well, Digital Press gave Swat Kats for SNES a 5 ranking. Yet the game DIDN'T sell on Ebay!!

Ooh cool... I'll update the list again this weekend to include everything that's been posted til now.

PS - I agree about all the talk about GH titles, but would it be fair to assume that for GH title, the non GH version is rare? Maybe not for some titles...

I got alot of these games being mentioned, none of the longbox ones, though I do remember those days, I think I had the longbox of Kingsfield, but I didnt even get my PSX til awhile after they stopped the long boxes. I just wish some of my games didnt have the damn EB and GS used stickers on them, I wish I would have been like I am now and only buy new or mint. I also have Rhapsody, someone said they sold it for $100, mine is crazy cuz there was a misprint type thing on the manual making it super crazy rare! Its a good game if you want to feel like a little girl, super short rpg.

-Castlevania Symphony of the Night (Non GH version)
-O.N.E.
-Einhander
-R-Type Delta
-Intelligent Cube

Suikoden 2 isn't rare
Valkyrie Profile isn't rare

Both sold 90 and 61K respectively

Vanark sold about 6600 though.
Carnage Heart is rare
all the LIGHT SPAN games are
Persona 2 maybe?
Blast Lacrosse
Discworld 2

Can anyone tell me how rare Psychic Detective is? Its one of those old big box games, its 3 cds. I rented it like 10 years ago when playstation first game out and just saw it again at EB. The only thing that keeps it from being THE worst game I've ever played is that it can be finished in about 15 minutes

ONE is in no way rare.

Hell, you can find copies of ONE littering the woods of the East Coast, after children tossed them out of the window of the minivan when they got to that damn "inside the computer level." I so want to love that game, but combine that level with the stupid final boss who has conituous regeneration, and a lame ending, and you are left sitting there wondering why the project schedule got so hosed that they had to wrap up the game in such a sloppy, shoddy way -- it seems that the computer platform jumping level is where the schedule got shot (it should have been a 5 min level, but becomes a hell of platform jumping retries, and then they had to rush to wrap to release. Oh, let's not forget the descent down the tube to the ocean floor base - nothing like blind jumping for 20 minutes to only miss a jump and then have to start back over.

I really, REALLY wanted to love that game -- the first couple of levels were great, and recreated in a similar manner in the game Apocalypse with Bruce Willis -- which did a better job overall with a lot of the same elements. Still the opening movie and the first couple of levels of ONE are great, great stuff.

Well I found Devil Dice (not complete just the CD) for $7.50 at Hollywood video (2 used games for $15 (priced 9.99). Couldn't pass that up..oh and I believe they mispriced Hitman Contracts for PS2 (got that for 7.50 also (manual included-it was listed for 9.99).

what about Metal Slug X?? I can't seem to find that anywhere besides ebay.......ant those bastards want me to pay $6 for shipping......fuck that.

Koudelka is pretty tough to find, but not expensive. I have found it to be quite rare in the stores.

A large number of games released after the debut of the PS2 have proven to be hard to find. Simple games like "Alone in the Dark" for PS1 shipped in low numbers, and resells on ebay while common, are not in large numbers.

Games like "Tall Infinity" just never made it to the major distribution channels, which is unusal for a budget game.

The late Metal Slug games definitely are hard to find, as well as the 3-D version of Samurai Shodown

[quote name='donssword']Psychic Detective is quite rare, and occasionally sells for a high price, but I seriously doubt it is worth it.[/quote]

GASP! Yes, I know that I am several months late on this discussion, but if anyone comes across "The Psychic Detective" for the PS1, *PLEASE* drop me a PM. Thanks a million!!! :D

EDIT: Maybe I should rephrase that... If anyone comes across "The Psychic Detective" for the PS1 for cheap, please drop me a line. Of course, on this board it may go without saying. :lol:

Dance Dance Revolution Disney Mix
Castlevania Chronicles rarely shows up in the wild, but is pretty easy to come by on ebay.
Valkyrie Profile is one of those titles that rarely shows up anywhere.
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

Suikoden 2 is *not* rare, just sought after (think Final Fantasy 3 SNES)
Intelligent Qube is also *not* rare... just sought after.

I find koudelka all over the place. I can't believe tall infity is rare, almost every store around here has it, sometimes multiple copies and often new. Intelligent qube I think is rare though, I've seen it twice, and one time was a local game store (this store still have 2 sealed copies of rhapsody for 35 bucks a year ago, so it doesn't count)..

The original Tales of Destiny is quite rare, ranking at a 5 on digitpress.com.

And to the guy who said Suikoden II isn't rare, just shut the hell up. A game can be rare and be in high demand at the same time. It may not be the rarest PSX game (only getting a 4 at digitpress, which is quite high seeing as the highest score a game will realistically get is a 6), but it's still very hard to find anywhere except for Ebay.

And to the guy who said Suikoden II isn't rare, just shut the hell up.

How crass. A 4 out of 10 means Uncommon. Uncommon is less then rare. The difference is significant. And digitpress' modern rarity lists are hardly accurate.

bread's done
Back