What are you currently reading? Post here!

I've been burning through The Fire and the Light (Book 1 of The Souls of Aredyrah series) by Tracy A Akers. (homepage)

Pretty good stuff, especially if you like your fantasy adventure very character driven with a pinch of sociology. :)

[quote name='bmachine']

I have a pretty massive reading backlog. My parents usually buy me everything on my Amazon Wishlist for Christmas...I still have unread books from two Christmases ago![/quote]

Will your parents adopt me? :lol:

I finished The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie a few days ago, and have moved on to Mythology by Edith Hamilton.

Just got finished with Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. A great book, but it started to drag towards the end, especially with that 70 page speech.

Am now about to finish up Bernard Malamud's The Natural, then skip whatever I have next in my backlog to go read this book by House that has come to my attention. So next up for me is The Gun Seller.

Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson. Then The Bonehunters and Reaper's Gale [by the same. After that it will probably be Sister Time by John ringo and the Phantom by Terry Goodkind.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']I'm reading the CompTIA A+ Certification Exam Guide.[/quote]

Good luck with the exam, sir. :)

I'm presently trying to finish up George R.R. Martin's Armageddon Rag. It's been unfinished for a while, and I never got a chance to finish it; procrastinated. :oops:

Warcraft: The Sundering by Richard Knaack

These Warcraft novels has become a gateway drug; now I'm interested in reading other fantasy series. Any recommendations on where to start with the Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms and Ebberon series?

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction and it's awesome. I've put holds in for all of the dude's other novels as well after starting in on this one. (Sadly there aren't many.)

I've also been reading the Legacy of the Force series but the last installment of that isn't out yet. I have to say the Darth Bane novel is more enjoyable than any single novel in the LotF series. At least so far - I'm a little over halfway into DB.

[quote name='deszaras']Warcraft: The Sundering by Richard Knaack

These Warcraft novels has become a gateway drug; now I'm interested in reading other fantasy series. Any recommendations on where to start with the Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms and Ebberon series?[/QUOTE]

I love Salvatore for fast paced fantasy fare. I'd suggest starting with his Dark Elf Trilogy trilogy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Elf_Trilogy Or you could start from the beginning with him and go with the Icewind Dale trilogy. I believe that's all in the Forgotten Realms universe.

[quote name='wubb']Darth Bane: Path of Destruction and it's awesome. I've put holds in for all of the dude's other novels as well after starting in on this one. (Sadly there aren't many.)

I've also been reading the Legacy of the Force series but the last installment of that isn't out yet. I have to say the Darth Bane novel is more enjoyable than any single novel in the LotF series. At least so far - I'm a little over halfway into DB.

I love Salvatore for fast paced fantasy fare. I'd suggest starting with his Dark Elf Trilogy trilogy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Elf_Trilogy Or you could start from the beginning with him and go with the Icewind Dale trilogy. I believe that's all in the Forgotten Realms universe.[/quote]

Thanks for the recommendations. The Darth Bane books have been good but I've liked Legacy of the Force series better. For the most part, they aren't excellent as individual books but are great when looked at as one story. If I look at it as each book has been but a chapter and the series is one book, it's been great. The only thing I haven't been big on is the Boba Fett stuff, which at times has bored me.

[quote name='deszaras']Thanks for the recommendations. The Darth Bane books have been good but I've liked Legacy of the Force series better. For the most part, they aren't excellent as individual books but are great when looked at as one story. If I look at it as each book has been but a chapter and the series is one book, it's been great. The only thing I haven't been big on is the Boba Fett stuff, which at times has bored me.[/quote]

I'm the opposite of you then. I enjoy Boba Fett's current storyline more than the other characters in LotF. I think they've fleshed him out to be a great anti-hero character. He's the character that Han Solo used to be. I think part of Boba Fett's charm now is that out of all the SW characters in the universe, he's the one that many people can easily relate to since he's not completely good nor completely bad. He follows his own path instead of blindly aligning himself w/ the side of 'good' or 'bad' (which are really matters of perspective anyway as Obi Wan Kenobi succinctly pointed out).

[quote name='jaykrue']I'm the opposite of you then. I enjoy Boba Fett's current storyline more than the other characters in LotF. I think they've fleshed him out to be a great anti-hero character. He's the character that Han Solo used to be. I think part of Boba Fett's charm now is that out of all the SW characters in the universe, he's the one that many people can easily relate to since he's not completely good nor completely bad. He follows his own path instead of blindly aligning himself w/ the side of 'good' or 'bad' (which are really matters of perspective anyway as Obi Wan Kenobi succinctly pointed out).[/quote]

I can understand your point. It wasn't until the 8th book that I liked the Boba Fett stuff and felt his character actually fully developed. His interaction with Jaina was great.

To deszaras- For Dragonlance you have to start with the Chronicles series by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. These are the books that began it all and you can get the annotated version of the trilogy for cheap on Amazon marketplace.

If you like Richard Knaak, one of his first books was the Dragonlance novel The Legend of Huma, so you might want to pick that one up after you read the Chronicles trilogy.

For Forgotten Realms, try the Time of Troubles/Avatar series-Shadowdale, Tantras, Waterdeep, Prince of Lies, and Crucible. Also probably try the Spellfire trilogy or the Elminster books by Ed Greenwood. Finally, the Drizzt books by R.A. Salvatore are some of the most popular books in the Forgotten Realms catalog.

For Eberron, the only Eberron books i have read were the initial trilogy by Keith Baker. I think it was called the Dreaming Dark Trilogy and was pretty good, if formulaic, fantasy.

I started reading Life of Pi last summer but my pseudo dad got all weird about me reading a book he checked out from the library. Needless to say, I never finished it.

I'm reading my chemistry book... but seriously I don't think I can read "for enjoyment" during the school year. I always feel like I'm cheating on my text books with my "for fun books", and then I get upset about how I don't spend enough time reading my text books...

During the off time, let's just say I spend a lot of time at B & N catching up.

In the past week I've read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson, The Miracle at Speedy Motors by Alexander McCall Smith, and Next by Micheal Chriction.

Right now I'm reading Labyrinth by Kate Mosse

[quote name='Liquid 2']

Started Ayn Rand's Anthem.[/quote]

I saw Atlas Shrugged at the bookstore in the airport but it was 25/25 (dollars/pounds). I didnt feel like getting it there but I'm very interested in it. Definitely worth a purchase right?

[quote name='Maklershed']I saw Atlas Shrugged at the bookstore in the airport but it was 25/25 (dollars/pounds). I didnt feel like getting it there but I'm very interested in it. Definitely worth a purchase right?[/QUOTE]

Yep.

[quote name='Maklershed']No sir. There are none near me unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

Wow, are you way out in the boonies?

I'm lucky to have an excellent library about 5 miles down the road.

Speaking of Rand, I just started Atlas Shrugged last week. I listen to the audio tape as I'm working (multitasking woot). I've been meaning to read this book for about 3 years now but just never had the time. I was at my library and happened to notice they have the audio version. I also checked out the autobiography of Jack Welch and Beowulf. I don't know why I never thought to get audio books before, I have 4 hours of driving time every day at work. Unfortunately my library as a rather small selection.

[quote name='Maklershed']I saw Atlas Shrugged at the bookstore in the airport but it was 25/25 (dollars/pounds). I didnt feel like getting it there but I'm very interested in it. Definitely worth a purchase right?[/QUOTE]

I'm not one of those people who hate Rand, The Fountainhead is one of the few books I reread every year. Still, I would not recommend Atlas Shrugged at that price based on what I've read so far. Maybe if you could find it used for $5 - $10. There are to many characters and even ideas which are caricatures (almost to a cartoonish level) and the book badly needs to be edited down. Strawman here, strawman there, repeat a hundred times, female author so throw in a pirate, get paid by the word(?), PROFIT. Maybe things will pick up in the latter half.

I am currently reading Tears Of The Moon by Nora Roberts, Brother Odd by Dean Koontz, and rereading So Long And Thanks For All The Fish by Douglas Adams.

I'm thinking of going back and reading the entire Harry Potter series. I just finished school, and finally have time to get a book or two in (other than textbooks). Now, to decide if I should be reading, or catching up on that triple-digit backlog of games I've been neglecting for so long. . .

Just started Prey,
Have heard lots of good things about it, plus it has to do with my future job and current research.

men-are-better-than-women-book.jpg

I read The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs last week. I'm generally not a fan of modern chick lit, but I enjoyed this one.

I've been reading bits of various America's Best Nonrequired Reading books. I don't have time to focus on a single, long story so these short ones are good for me at the moment.

[quote name='Uncookedcookie']I'm reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy Amazing book[/quote]

How's it compare to No Country? Same style? I ask because I'm very interested in The Road, as I loved McCarthy's style in No Country, and making something post-apocalyptic is always awesome for me.

[quote name='bmachine']Just started The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.[/QUOTE]

How's that?

I finished Rand's Anthem, and I've started The Fountainhead.

I have nothing to read :whistle2:(

I have no money to buy something to read :whistle2:(

Some one hook me up with halo: contact harvest Or mass Effect: revalations I'll trade a game to ya or paypal. Send me a pm

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']How's it compare to No Country? Same style? I ask because I'm very interested in The Road, as I loved McCarthy's style in No Country, and making something post-apocalyptic is always awesome for me.[/QUOTE]

the road is VERY good. i have issues with the ending though nothing major.
i think the perfect description is a cross between the road to perdition and children of men.

I just ordered blood meridian and child of god.
i want to pick up suttree too, but i figured id put that off.
I really like mccarthy.

im currently reading a prayer for owen meany.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']I have nothing to read :whistle2:(

I have no money to buy something to read :whistle2:(

Some one hook me up with halo: contact harvest Or mass Effect: revalations I'll trade a game to ya or paypal. Send me a pm[/quote]
You don't have a library you can get some books from?

Just finished The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie. Great novel and it's pretty funny.

Next up shall be As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner or Catch-22 by Joseph Heller.

bread's done
Back