What are you currently reading? Post here!

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']I have nothing to read :whistle2:(

I have no money to buy something to read :whistle2:(

Some one hook me up with halo: contact harvest Or mass Effect: revalations I'll trade a game to ya or paypal. Send me a pm[/QUOTE]

One word: Library.

[quote name='cletus']I'm not one of those people who hate Rand, The Fountainhead is one of the few books I reread every year. (?), PROFIT. Maybe things will pick up in the latter half.[/QUOTE]

I have the fountainhead sitting on my shelf. i plan to read it over summer.
I have a big que slated for the summer.

[quote name='Stoneage']One word: Library.[/quote]

Agreed; the library is awesome. I've read so many books for free because of them. As much as I love having the actual book displayed on my shelves, you can't argue with free.

I get almost all my books at the library, unless it is a gift. With the ability to renew books online, you can keep them for months (unless someone else wants them), which means you can reread them if you wish. Plus since I use my university library, they have many books which can't even be bought anymore, books that are out of edition or very old.

Just finished City of Glass by Paul Auster. Started his Oracle Night yesterday, and am also reading a Cometbus anthology.

Finally collected all the novels of the Dark Tower series from book sales etc and I'm starting that. Midway through book two and really liking it.

[quote name='AmanoUsagi']I am currently reading Tears Of The Moon by Nora Roberts, Brother Odd by Dean Koontz, and rereading So Long And Thanks For All The Fish by Douglas Adams.[/quote]

What is So Long and Thanks For All The Fish about? I ask b/c my favorite band (NoFX) has a song called So Long and Thanks for All the Shoes so obviously it made quite an impression on them.

[quote name='Liquid 2']How's that? (The God Delusion)[/quote]

I loved it, but he's definitely preaching to the choir with me.

Dawkins is generally pretty angry (borderline hostile, actually) but always really witty and animated. I wouldn't say that I learned anything from reading it but it was very engaging and validating...I found myself nodding in agreement to a lot of his passages. He sort of puts words and evidence to a lot of things I've always felt about faith, science, and religion but have never been able to articulate intellectually.

I'd recommend it.

I got a big stack of "new atheist lit" for Christmas (and I love the irony of that, by the way) and I'm working my way through it. Christopher Hitchins' The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Nonbeliever is next.

[quote name='pittpizza']What is So Long and Thanks For All The Fish about?[/quote]

I haven't read it in a long time so I can't give you a detailed plot description, but it's one of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books. Very witty, very British sci-fi.

"So long and thanks for all the fish" is what the dolphins wrote in a note to Earth before it was destroyed, if I remember correctly. Fat Mike is a big Adams fan, apparently.

[quote name='MorPhiend']High Crimes and Misdemeanors.[/quote]
Ann Coulter has the biggest dick I've ever seen on a woman.

[quote name='pittpizza']What is So Long and Thanks For All The Fish about? I ask b/c my favorite band (NoFX) has a song called So Long and Thanks for All the Shoes so obviously it made quite an impression on them.[/QUOTE]

It's part of the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

[quote name='paz9x']the road is VERY good. i have issues with the ending though nothing major.
i think the perfect description is a cross between the road to perdition and children of men.

I just ordered blood meridian and child of god.
i want to pick up suttree too, but i figured id put that off.
I really like mccarthy.[/quote]

Well that settles it, this book is getting got.

Damn BMachine, that is exactly the info I was looking for. I'm definitely going to check it out.

He also cites lyrically to Noam Chomsky and Howard Zinn in his music too, which I've done some reading of and really found it truthfully infuriating.

Looks like you know a thing or two about NoFX, are you a fan? Ever see their show on Fuse TV?

Currently reading Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. So weird, but really good--it's 2 novels, which alternate between chapters, but they're connected.

I'm considering sticking with Japanese fiction with my next book or finally reading No Country for Old Men or Children of Men.

I just won an ebay auction for 8 Chuck Palahniuk books which arrived in the mail today. I am planning on starting with "Choke" since the movie version of that book comes out in this August.

[quote name='Apossum']Currently reading Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. So weird, but really good--it's 2 novels, which alternate between chapters, but they're connected.[/quote]

Now that sounds interesting. Reminds me of Only Revolutions, by Danielewski.

[quote name='micro44']I just won an ebay auction for 8 Chuck Palahniuk books which arrived in the mail today. I am planning on starting with "Choke" since the movie version of that book comes out in this August.[/quote]

Invisible Monsters was crazy

[quote name='bmachine']Ann Coulter has the biggest dick I've ever seen on a woman.[/quote]
That's one reason I like her so much. Wait... that didn't sound right... What I mean is, when so many people can be so irrationally hostile to a satirist, they must be doing something right.

Normally, she is pure entertainment. But this book is so spot on and so intelligent, it is frightening. She really is a smart woman. It's just sad that people take her inflammatory speech the wrong way.:lol:

So you never get angry when people insult you? She insults/offends entire races and classes of people. Of course people are going to be angry with her.

[quote name='MorPhiend']It's just sad that people take her inflammatory speech the wrong way.[/quote]

I think if I was an esteemed US Senator who had devoted his entire career to battling poverty...and whose wife was battling breast cancer...and Ann "Adam's Apple" Coulter called me a $$$$$$...yeah, maybe I'd take it the "wrong way".

[quote name='MorPhiend']That's one reason I like her so much. Wait... that didn't sound right... What I mean is, when so many people can be so irrationally hostile to a satirist, they must be doing something right.

Normally, she is pure entertainment. But this book is so spot on and so intelligent, it is frightening. She really is a smart woman. It's just sad that people take her inflammatory speech the wrong way.:lol:[/quote]

How is it that I "take her inflammatory speech the wrong way" when I get pissed she said she wants to kick all jews out of America?

[quote name='Apossum']Currently reading Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. So weird, but really good--it's 2 novels, which alternate between chapters, but they're connected.

I'm considering sticking with Japanese fiction with my next book or finally reading No Country for Old Men or Children of Men.[/QUOTE]

i read kafka on the shore last year. i liked it though i really wanted to know more abotu what happened to the old man when he was young. i have the wind-up bird chonicle waiting to be red, i heard it was his best so i figured id hold off on reading it for awhile.

[quote name='paz9x']i read kafka on the shore last year. i liked it though i really wanted to know more abotu what happened to the old man when he was young. i have the wind-up bird chonicle waiting to be red, i heard it was his best so i figured id hold off on reading it for awhile.[/QUOTE]

I need to read Kafka on the Shore. Wind Up Bird Chronicle is my favorite book ever! I like it so much I'm dropping some serious dough on a first print copy next week :)

I'm kinda on hold until George Martin gets his next damn book out. I always worry these guys are going to die before they finish their epics. HBO would be up shit creek if that happened.

[quote name='bmachine']I think if I was an esteemed US Senator who had devoted his entire career to battling poverty...and whose wife was battling breast cancer...and Ann "Adam's Apple" Coulter called me a $$$$$$...yeah, maybe I'd take it the "wrong way".[/quote]First of all, has she ever dragged Edwards' wife's disease into things? I don't recall it if it happened. Secondly, esteemed is hardly what I would call that low-life trial lawyer. But that's just differing political views and doesn't belong here. If you want more info on that, go ask the residents of the trailer park across the highway from Edwards' 10 million sq. mile mansion what they think of his "battling poverty". But back to the $$$$$$ comment, so what? She was speaking to a group of right wingers who she knew would find it funny. And as people are often so quick to point out when they are called a $$$$$$, "$$$$$$" has nothing to do with being gay. She used it as a school yard taunt and to make fun of the PC Police since Isaiah Washington's comment was the big news of the day.

I don't think it was very nice. But I did find the humor in it that was intended and it did garner the media attention that she was looking for. All she says this stuff for is because she knows it will get a rise out of people.

I find it funny that people complain about her being a bigot or whatnot and in doing so they make claims of her having male genitalia or make fun of the fact that she has an extremely long, skinnny neck which accentuates an apparent "Adam's Apple". It's great that the hate comes right back at her, but lefties are only interested in silencing speech on one side and keeping the channels free and clear on their own side.
[quote name='pittpizza']How is it that I "take her inflammatory speech the wrong way" when I get pissed she said she wants to kick all jews out of America?[/quote]I'm not familiar with that, or else I could probably share my thoughts on it and what I feel she meant to be drawing attention to. I doubt that Coulter is an anti-semite though. In fact, I'm pretty dang sure she's not. Anti-semitism is probably one of the most disgusting forms of hate I see in the world today.

Anyhow, High Crimes and Misdemeanors does nothing that any of you have made mention of. It is a very well written, intelligent book that explains the circumstances leading to Clinton's impeachment proceedings and lays out the perfect case of why Clinton was more guilty of something worthy of impeachment than ever had been any American President before him. Did you know that Hillary Rodham actually co-wrote a report that led to Nixon's articles of impeachment (back then she was a Goldwater girl and was trying to get him the Presidency). She herself made the case that "high crimes and misdemeanors" was not a legal term at all (for Nixon himself had never done anything illegal), but rather derived from English documents and meant any behavior at all that is immoral (including surrounding yourself with people of low morals). Kind of ironic that she would become the wife of the most immoral man to ever hold the office of the Presidency. The book also shows how low our society has delved in not only turning a blind eye to Clinton's behavior, but actually embracing it and excusing it.

Ann Coulter was actually a volunteer aide to Joseph Cammaratta and Paula Jones' legal team. There was a point when Cammaratta wanted to settle with Clinton. But Ann saw Paula as a hero and admired her for standing up to the most powerful man in the world (and admitted she doesn't feel she would have been able to do so). And she knew that by settling, it would only make Jones look like a money digger, trying to extort the President. So she leaked information with the intent of seeding distrust between the legal teams, and thus buying time to stave off a settlement. It worked.

It's a great book. I think anyone interested in keeping the integrity of this country should definitely read it.

[quote name='georox']A large stack of Hunter S Thompson books I'm reading. Not sure on names of all of em... its a bunch.[/quote]

icon14.gif

Haven't started it yet but I just got email confirmation from Amazon that Chuck Palahniuk's new book, Snuff, was shipped to me today!

[quote name='ighosty']Finished Prey and am about to start reading
The terminal man[/quote]

Those are the only two Crichton novels I've yet to read. What did you think of Prey?

[quote name='MidnightRain']Those are the only two Crichton novels I've yet to read. What did you think of Prey?[/quote]

Was the first Crichton book I read, but I really enjoyed it, and ended up finishing it very quickly. I really liked the main character, and found the technology and scientific story very interesting, even though the science in the book is way off( I do research in nanoscience and NEMS).

I actually changed my mind about getting the terminal man and ended up getting State of Fear. How is the terminal man?

ighosty, you'd probably like Next. It's a pretty interesting, thought provoking read about the direction that genetics and gene therapy is going. It's also by Chrichton. There's a lot of technical jargon and its sometimes clinical but it also has some interesting characters.

[quote name='Maklershed']ighosty, you'd probably like Next. It's a pretty interesting, thought provoking read about the direction that genetics and gene therapy is going. It's also by Chrichton. There's a lot of technical jargon and its sometimes clinical but it also has some interesting characters.[/quote]

I will have to check that one out when I am done with State of Fear. Which seems ok so far, hopefully it will pick up soon. I have mixed feelings about the scene transitions which took place in the first 50 pages, but it seems like that is stopping.

I'm reading Don Delillo's Underworld, which is a pretty goddamn long book and I just hope it doesn't take me the whole summer to read it.

[quote name='evilmregg']I'm reading Don Delillo's Underworld, which is a pretty goddamn long book and I just hope it doesn't take me the whole summer to read it.[/QUOTE]

his writing reminds me of brett easton ellis. though im sure its easton ellis who takes from delillo.

[quote name='paz9x']his writing reminds me of brett easton ellis. though im sure its easton ellis who takes from delillo.[/quote]

Yeah, I read a jacket quote on a Brett Easton Ellis book about him being "This generation's Don Delillo," although my immediate response was, "Isn't Don Delillo this generation's Don Delillo? I mean, he's still alive and writing." I like them both, though. Bret Easton Ellis is a hell of a lot darker.

[quote name='bmachine']I loves me some Bret Easton Ellis, but I've never read Don Delillo...what would you guys suggest as a starting point?[/quote]

Definitely White Noise. It's probably his most accessible novel and easily his best.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Just finished Into The Wild and honestly the movie was better than the book IMO.

Starting If Chins Could Kill next.[/quote]

i saw the movie first.. i really liked the movie, so i don't think i'm going to read the book. i heard in the book mccandless is kind of a douche.

[quote name='ighosty']

I actually changed my mind about getting the terminal man and ended up getting State of Fear. How is the terminal man?[/quote]

State of Fear was interesting. Not one of my favorites, but a quick read that I enjoyed. My favorites by Crichton are Timeline and Sphere. Jurassic Park and The Lost World are also quite good, and much better than the films. (Especially in the case of The Lost World, which was absolutely butchered.)

bread's done
Back