What are you currently reading? Post here!

Just finished reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. As well as Strange Rumblings in Aztlan and The Kentucky Derby is Decedent and Depraved.

All them were awesome. I think I am going to read Hell's Angels next.

Finished up In The Fall and starting The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams .. my first foray into the fantasy genre since I read Lord of the Rings a few years ago.

[quote name='v1et r1ce']Do I need to read Forever War before I read Forever Peace? I started reading the latter and feel like I should know things from the first book. I know it's not a sequel or anything either.[/QUOTE]

Aside from the face that Forever War is a classic there is no need to read it before Forever Peace. I actually read Forever Peace first a few years ago when I got it at library sale for a quarter. Well worth it.

For me now... I'm onto a collection of Dan Simmons stuff - Prayers to Broken Stones.... after this I don't really know. I'm going pretty slow the last few weeks studying for other stuff when I'm not working. I've only been reading an hr or so a week probably right now, but that works out good since each story is pretty short.

I'm still just trying to get over the fact that Memory of Light is going to be three more books each being a year apart (I would bet more). I just kind of want the Wheel of Time to end. Wrap up all the things that have been alluded to over the last 15 or so years and tidy it up. Hell, I think I forget most of the story at this point.

Also the same goes for George RR Martin - A Dance of Dragons is taking forever and at this rate he won't ever live long enough to publish it all. Robert Jordan looked younger and stronger right before his death than a healthy Martin.

I'm taking a break from my history books to read World War Z. It is pretty great so far. The zombie apocalypse was as not-fun as you can imagine.

Finished Let Me Tell You A Story a little while ago, loved it. Auerbach was pretty brilliant when it came to dealing with people and coaching basketball.

Now I'm working on The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game by Michael Lewis, who wrote Moneyball. It's about the left tackle position as well as Michael Oher, who was just drafted to the Ravens in April.

Considering reading The Road next, or maybe Bret Hart's book Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling.

just finished The motorcycle diaries by Che guevara. Im going to read The prophet by Kahlil Gibran when ever i get a chance .

Thought some of you might be interested in the Infinite Summer campaign: a group of "endurance bibliophiles from around the web" are tackling David Foster Wallace's 1000+ page novel, Infinite Jest, this summer.

Go here for some more info, to connect to the Facebook group, and to follow the dialog on Twitter. I dug out my still-unread first edition from 1996 and I'll be reading through it this summer. Hope some of you join up, as well.

Infinite_jest_cover.jpg

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Decided to also pick up The Essential Ellison: A 50 Year Retrospective, which is this gargantuan 1200 page behemoth containing the best of Harlan Ellison's work, from his first stories to his most recent output. Going to be reading a story a night in order to work through the damn thing.[/QUOTE]

I picked that up back in the winter, just started reading it a few weeks ago. Been loving every story I read.

[quote name='darthbudge']Just finished reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. As well as Strange Rumblings in Aztlan and The Kentucky Derby is Decedent and Depraved.

All them were awesome. I think I am going to read Hell's Angels next.[/QUOTE]

You should've read Fear and Loathing well before now ya bastard. Reminds me I've got two half-read Hunter books in my pile of "to be finished"

[quote name='Cagney&Lacey']"Laughter In The Dark" by Vladimir Nabokov. It reads like a rough draft of "Lolita".[/QUOTE]

Guess I'll just re-read Lolita then. Reminds me, I still need to find a cheap copy of the more recent movie.

In the guilty pleasures department, I read 'Death Star' by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry. It's perfect for anyone who came out of Clerks pondering "So what did happen to the sub-contractors." Unsurprisingly, the model for the Empire's procurement and construction is Fascist Italy.

Right now, I'm reading Charles Stross' 'The Jennifer Morgue' which features his Bob Howard, magician-hacker intelligence operative, character. Imagine James Bond in a world where H.P. Lovecraft's works are non-fiction. Computer Science leads directly into hacking into neighboring realities, where the inhabitant are frequently extremely unpleasant. As in, saving throw required to see if you go insane just from looking at them.

Also, on audio during drives, I'm listening to Amity Schlaes 'The Forgotten Man.' Probably the most important history book published in the last several years as it debunks a lot of myths about the Depression.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='georox']I picked that up back in the winter, just started reading it a few weeks ago. Been loving every story I read.[/QUOTE]

I'm currently stuck in his early stuff, which is flat out terrible. I really want to get to some of his later, darker stories, but these first bunch are a chore.

I'm just getting back into comics after 15-plus years. I read Watchmen earlier this year and I'm considering picking up Arkham Asylum. Any suggestions in terms of must-read graphic novels / series?

I'm a big Marvel and Batman guy for what it's worth.

[quote name='RudyPants']I'm just getting back into comics after 15-plus years. I read Watchmen earlier this year and I'm considering picking up Arkham Asylum. Any suggestions in terms of must-read graphic novels / series?

I'm a big Marvel and Batman guy for what it's worth.[/QUOTE]

You need to pick up Brian Azzarello's Joker. Great story and beautiful art. Kingdom Come by Mark Waid and Alex Ross. V for Vendetta by Alan Moore.

[quote name='bmachine']Thought some of you might be interested in the Infinite Summer campaign: a group of "endurance bibliophiles from around the web" are tackling David Foster Wallace's 1000+ page novel, Infinite Jest, this summer.

Go here for some more info, to connect to the Facebook group, and to follow the dialog on Twitter. I dug out my still-unread first edition from 1996 and I'll be reading through it this summer. Hope some of you join up, as well.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting, this has been on my shelf for years. This might be the motivation I need to tackle this behemoth. Currently reading Dune by the way.

Finished reading Slaughterhouse-Five, and I wanted to start Cat's Cradle, but my friend bought me the first Dark Tower book by Stephen King. I'm reading that concurrent with The Metamorphosis.

I picked up The Strain, the novel that Guillermo del Toro wrote with Chuck Hogan, today. The reviews haven't been very good but I'm kinda curious. Gotta blaze through it so I can start Infinite Jest on the 21st.

[quote name='lilwiggum']Interesting, this has been on my shelf for years. This might be the motivation I need to tackle this behemoth. [/QUOTE]

Same here. I was looking at my copy today and I don't think I even made it past page 100 when I first tried to read it years ago.

[quote name='pacifickarma']GQ Magazine. Then when I get some free time, The Expectant Father, because I am one.[/QUOTE]

Congrats:applause:

I just re read the hobbit and the LOTR trilogy. I am currently reading darkly dreaming dexter by jeff lindsey and " i don't have enough faith to be an athiest" by norman geisler

[quote name='Dante Devil']You need to pick up Brian Azzarello's Joker. Great story and beautiful art. Kingdom Come by Mark Waid and Alex Ross. V for Vendetta by Alan Moore.[/QUOTE]

I'll check it out - thanks. I just finished Arkham Asylum and really enjoyed it. Great art and trippy story.

I happened to see When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris when I was at the library a few weeks ago so I grabbed it. I'm just now getting around to reading it and I'm really enjoying it.

By the way, I'm really glad to see that this thread has done so well. Hopefully it has inspired people to read more and branch out to different genres. This is where I first read about The Road, by favorite book ever!

[quote name='mrchainsaw']I happened to see When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris when I was at the library a few weeks ago so I grabbed it. I'm just now getting around to reading it and I'm really enjoying it.
[/QUOTE]

Have you read his other works? I'm a huge fan of his, and own all of his books.

Around the time his last book came out, he was accused of exaggerating some of his stories and flat out lying in others. I can't say if this is true or not, but they still make for great reads.

[quote name='mkg12']Finished The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay and Slaughterhouse-Five. I don't know what to think of Slaughterhouse-Five. Reading Neverwhere right now.

Anyone read The Door into Summer by Heinlein? How is it?[/QUOTE]
Finished Neverwhere and The Naked Sun. They were both alright. Now reading The End of Eternity.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Have you read his other works? I'm a huge fan of his, and own all of his books.

Around the time his last book came out, he was accused of exaggerating some of his stories and flat out lying in others. I can't say if this is true or not, but they still make for great reads.[/QUOTE]
I had read parts of Naked and Dress Your Family In Corduroy and Denim so I knew he was at least OK but I am really enjoying this book. I will definitely be going back to those books and reading them in their entirety.

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. Just finished Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson and the first Bolos anthology from Baen.

Finished Elantris and am moving on to Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson as well. Elantris was quite a good read and moved at a fast pace, especially for a big fat epic fantasy.

Just starting into Dreamcatcher by Stephen King. Having a hard time getting started though, not from lack of interest, but burnout. I have had a book on the go for nearly a year straight, think it might be time for a break. But my buddy is going to lend me the Dark Tower series so that break won't happen anytime soon.

I finished the first 5 volumes of Scott Pilgrim in the past two days. Really, really fantastic comic that I'd recommend to anyone.

Can't wait for volume 6.

Just finished When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long Term Capital Management. This book really reminds me of the current crisis, especially the massive amounts of leverage they took on and how foolishly confident they were of their market models. People are not automata that always behave rationally but that doesn't stop the 'geniuses' from constantly searching for some magic formula that can predict the stock market. I suppose people will never learn.

The book was pretty good. The author did a good job explaining complex concepts like bond arbitrage in layman's terms. And the mental image of almost 100 lawyers in a room trying to work out a deal to save LTCM made me laugh aloud. I recommend it to anyone interested in this kind of stuff.

bread's done
Back