What are you currently reading? Post here!

[quote name='Maklershed']I'm 13% into the first book and really loving it so far. Easy to read, has a cool magic based system, and some majorly scary sounding 'steel inquisitor' guys (brutes with railroad spikes in their eyes) that hunt magic users.[/QUOTE]

I keep meaning to start this. I've enjoyed other things by Sanderson.
One stand alone book (whose title I can't remember at 7:30) and the giant 1200 page book that was the first volume of Age of Kings (?)

Finished up the second book of the Horus Heresy series. Much better than I expected. Still pulpy sci fi but well written and very entertaining. I was going to start something else but the ending made me want to keep going.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']That's good to know. I think I'll start that after I finish up Game of Thrones. The cheesiness will be a nice change of pace.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the writing isn't cheesy, but the universe sorta is. I've read my share of Star Wars EU novels and I'd say these are better by a good margin.

Got The Wind Through the Key Hole by King and liking it so far. First book I have bought on day one since Simmon's Flashback came out.

Finished Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. I loved both protagonists (Hiro and Y.T.) and the dialogue was fantastic. All the Sumerian religion hyperbole was great as well. The ending was a little sketchy, but I can live with that.

Starting Hyperion by Dan Simmons now per a suggestion from a Goodreads sci-fi/fantasy group.

You mean the series? Cause I don't recall there being a conclusive ending at all to Hyperion. If I remember correctly
they all get together outside some building and they're about to go in and it ends in a 'read the next book to see what happens' kind of way. (something I regretfully haven't done yet)

[quote name='Maklershed']You mean the series? Cause I don't recall there being a conclusive ending at all to Hyperion. If I remember correctly
they all get together outside some building and they're about to go in and it ends in a 'read the next book to see what happens' kind of way. (something I regretfully haven't done yet)
[/QUOTE]

Yea, I'm speaking of the Cantos, so Hyperion + Fall Of Hyperion. Reading the whole thing makes for an incredible story.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Hyperion is the best sci-fi book I've ever read, and the only one with a satisfying ending.[/QUOTE]

Simmons almost gets there again with Ilium and Olympos but falls a little short

It's been maybe 20 years since I've read Hyperion/Edymion whatever those books were. Pretty sure I read them in high school from the library. Should go back and read them now from an older perspective, but I won't.

Currently reading:

(Just the book on the right. Amazon didnt have a singular picture) Moorcock's Eternal Champion swords and sorcery stuff.

[quote name='eldergamer']Currently reading:

(Just the book on the right. Amazon didnt have a singular picture) Moorcock's Eternal Champion swords and sorcery stuff.[/QUOTE]

Loved these books when I was in middle and high school. Nothing special but real solid fantasy.

Jacked: The Outlaw Story of Grand Theft Auto by David Kushner

9780470936375.jpg

[quote name='GhostShark']Starting Hyperion by Dan Simmons now per a suggestion from a Goodreads sci-fi/fantasy group.[/QUOTE]

Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons is one of my favorite horror novels of all time.

I really liked the Hyperion cantos. I know it was a lot deeper, allegorically, than I was reading into it.

For me:
51XkzIS4mrL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

51sYnfF2TmL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

and

51VQtZXT5fL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Yes it looks like a Harlequin cover but that's not all that's in there.

Finished Against the Light. It was just ok. Seems like it's the start of a series, but doubt I'll bother with any future books.

Now reading:

51nTMA60fiL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-63,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I mostly read classic literature and sci-fi, right now I'm deciding on steampunk or cyberpunk. Either Infernal Devices by K. W. Jeter or Neuromancer by Gibson. [quote name='GhostShark'] Starting Hyperion by Dan Simmons now per a suggestion from a Goodreads sci-fi/fantasy group.[/QUOTE]
This is on my list maybe I should bump it up a few spots.

[quote name='raiden_86']I mostly read classic literature and sci-fi, right now I'm deciding on steampunk or cyberpunk. Either Infernal Devices by K. W. Jeter or Neuromancer by Gibson.
This is on my list maybe I should bump it up a few spots.[/QUOTE]

I just finished Chapter/Part one of Hyperion. It's really great stuff so far. Has some stuff you really wouldn't expected in Science Fiction.

[quote name='GhostShark']I just finished Chapter/Part one of Hyperion. It's really great stuff so far. Has some stuff you really wouldn't expected in Science Fiction.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear I love me some sci-fi. My list is 20+ (sci-fi alone, with novels and novellas) so this will certainly go up a few places. Really need to get back on Goodreads when I was reading a lot.

River of Gods by Ian McDonald

I'm about a quarter of the way through the book, and I still can't really give an opinion about it. I'm hoping the story picks up at some point, because even being in as far as I am, I couldn't even give a basic plot summary.

I just picked up dune and dune messiah for 2 bucks at my local habitat for humanity re-store. Great place to check every now and then, they even had a bunch of classics and some more good sci-fi.

[quote name='Maklershed']After watching the recent Masterpiece production of Great Expectations I've decided to finally read the book ...[/QUOTE]
I watched it too. Gillian Anderson was good in that. At first she struck me as too young looking, but it didn't matter. She got the twisted, creepy, controlling spinster thing locked down.

The experience took me back to reading GE chapter by chapter in English class in junior high. What I remember best is how the teacher would insist that we read certain passages aloud as a class, and you'd get to hear twenty different pronunciations of words every time we'd hit a surname.

I also remember that the girl who sat in front of me in that class had an incredible set. Literature was good to me that year.

[quote name='dothog']I watched it too. Gillian Anderson was good in that. At first she struck me as too young looking, but it didn't matter. She got the twisted, creepy, controlling spinster thing locked down.[/QUOTE]

I know she was supposed to look crazy and disheveled and what not but I thought that was a great look for Gillian Anderson. She should always dress up as a young Miss Havisham. :drool: :lol:

Not too bad so far. Has a little bit too much of a "wink and a nod" to things. "Oh look, they're just figuring out to use fingerprints!"

[quote name='Maklershed']I know she was supposed to look crazy and disheveled and what not but I thought that was a great look for Gillian Anderson. She should always dress up as a young Miss Havisham. :drool: :lol:[/QUOTE]

IMO she's her at her most desirable in The Last King of Scotland. But that is some rifukulous nitpicking.

I will always be there for you, Scully. ALWAYS.

Finished Catching Fire. Liked it about the same as the first book. Have to wait until June to check the third one out from the Prime Kindle Library.

Up next:

51ylTwfPdgL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

[quote name='spideymike']I read Ernest Cline's Ready Player One. It's probably one of my favorite books, and this is coming from a librarian! As a librarian, I don't usually like to push books on friends of mine, but you guys HAVE to read it. It's just fantastic and one fun book about the 1980s pop culture, gaming, and geeks. Finally finished it today and it just brought a grin on my face with all the pop culture references from my youth, the games we used to play as kids, music we used to listen to, and more. It's at any library, so get it now and enjoy it. Here's a link to the synopsis.[/QUOTE]
I just started reading this but I can tell already that I'm going to love it. This is coming from someone who does not like fiction. If I had the time it'd be one of those books I could read straight through within a day or two. I'd highly recommend checking it out based on the 20 or so pages I've read so far.

Think I skipped the second book in ths series a moved straight on to the third.
It's a little confusing since it's been about 4 years since I read the previious book and none of the alien language or culture is explained.

I do usuaully like most things by CJ Cherryh though.

Started it last night:

Seems like very generic fantasy so far. I've only done about 50. I'll give it another 100 or so and see if it picks up or any of the characters move beyond tropes I've seen plenty of times before. Insecure farmboy who doubts his abilties, yet becomes the main hero of the story? Oh, boy...:rolls eyes:

started the temporal void. The dream parts are getting a little annoying, but then I suppose I just want more of the characters from The Commonwealth Saga.

read the first of volume of unwritten and I am partway through rereading vol 1 of lucifer.
picture

also finished the first of the haruhi light novels.

I am re-reading The Wheel of Time series. I am currently half way through The Dragon Reborn. Just got done re-reading the A Song of Ice and Fire series. I think I am going to read The Dark Tower series after I finish WoT. I can't wait until January to read the final book A Memory of Light.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']Naked empire.

Sword of truth series.[/QUOTE]

I really liked the series. A lot of people said Goodkind ripped off Robert Jordan, but I didn't think that at all. The first book, Wizard's First Rule, started out a bit slow, but the rest of the series really ramped it up. Definitely recommended.

[quote name='GhostShark']How is the Mistborn series? I'm looking for a series to start after I finish Snow Crash.[/QUOTE]

The Mistborn series is fantastic. After you read the three, I would highly recommend The Alloy of Law. It's a Mistborn born book, but placed about 300 years after the ending of the third book.

[quote name='deadlyclawz']i'm currently reading memnoch the devil by anne rice. i'm still on chapter 5[/QUOTE]

Yep that series goes off the rails right about there

Finished Hyperion recently. Such a great read. I loved the different styles of writing given to each of the Pilgrims, but man, Simmons is a superb writer, but the man needs to lay off the similes. One or two, done in a clever manner, are ok, but he just throws them at you left and right, and their not that great. Beside that though, it's one of the best Science Fiction tales I've ever read. Look forward to the next book.

Also finished Mystique: Brian K. Vaughan Ultimate Collection. If you're into X-Men, and the character then you need to check this comic out. Great stuff. Vintage BKV.

As for currently? Reading The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley on a request of the friend. Only three chapters into the very long book and I'm enjoying it so far. Not really a fan of the blatant Christianity bashing, though.

[quote name='parker99']Just saw the US movie girl with the dragon tattoo. Liked tha movie so now I'm starting to read the book.[/QUOTE]

The books are great, just power through the first 100 pages or so of the first one as it starts very slow with lots of details on the financial case and the Vanger family.

It's a pretty generic on-rails thriller. Nearly all of the characters are cardboard cutouts, and only one has any internal dialogue to speak off. That said, it does move along at a snappy pace and holds your attention.

bread's done
Back